logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
tholyoak  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, July 1, 2015 2:38:29 PM(UTC)
tholyoak

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I do live streaming of a yearly 2 day conference. Each year I look to see what's new with live streaming and/or how I can improve the streaming experience. I have viewers using iOS, Android, PCs (Mac, Linux, and Windows), as well as Roku.

Most recently I have been using Wowza on Amazon's EC2 with FMLE and the AAC plugin from Main Concept, along with Xsplit to do switching between cameras and desktop capturing (for Powerpoint presentations).

This year I have discovered the existence of vMix. It appears to be superior to Xsplit, but not quite as user friendly. If I can get the hang of it, I think it will work well for me.

I also discovered that Wowza now has a Streaming Cloud solution that will take a lot of the work out of the server end for me. And it will automatically produce multiple streams (at various bitrates) so I can actually do HD this year (in the past I haven't due to worries about people with low bandwidth and not wanting to deal with configuring multiple streams).

In my testing so far, vMix appears to work fine with the Wowza Streaming Cloud.

However, I do have some questions. It appears that vMix actually uses FMLE behind the scenes? Does it still use the AAC plugin I've already purchased?

Has anyone used a similar setup, and/or any suggestions for making this a great experience for my viewers?
thanks 1 user thanked tholyoak for this useful post.
PFBM on 7/1/2015(UTC)
PFBM  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, July 1, 2015 4:07:45 PM(UTC)
PFBM

Man

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 30 post(s)
tholyoak wrote:
I do live streaming of a yearly 2 day conference. Each year I look to see what's new with live streaming and/or how I can improve the streaming experience. I have viewers using iOS, Android, PCs (Mac, Linux, and Windows), as well as Roku.

Most recently I have been using Wowza on Amazon's EC2 with FMLE and the AAC plugin from Main Concept, along with Xsplit to do switching between cameras and desktop capturing (for Powerpoint presentations).

This year I have discovered the existence of vMix. It appears to be superior to Xsplit, but not quite as user friendly. If I can get the hang of it, I think it will work well for me.

I also discovered that Wowza now has a Streaming Cloud solution that will take a lot of the work out of the server end for me. And it will automatically produce multiple streams (at various bitrates) so I can actually do HD this year (in the past I haven't due to worries about people with low bandwidth and not wanting to deal with configuring multiple streams).

In my testing so far, vMix appears to work fine with the Wowza Streaming Cloud.

However, I do have some questions. It appears that vMix actually uses FMLE behind the scenes? Does it still use the AAC plugin I've already purchased?

Has anyone used a similar setup, and/or any suggestions for making this a great experience for my viewers?

Hi,
Forget the old adobe FMLE
Use FFMPEG , has it all, AAC included for free.
i use it with Wowza :)
Perfect :)

Best regards,

PFBM

tholyoak  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, July 1, 2015 4:30:58 PM(UTC)
tholyoak

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
PFBM wrote:

Hi,
Forget the old adobe FMLE
Use FFMPEG , has it all, AAC included for free.
i use it with Wowza :)
Perfect :)

Best regards,

PFBM

Thanks, but if I already have AAC, what is the advantage of FFMPEG?
IceStream  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, July 1, 2015 5:20:23 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ tholyoak

vMix can use either FMLE or FFMPEG, within vMix or externally, it's really up to you and how comfortable you are with it all and how much 'configuring' you want control over.
FFMPEG has been known to be easier on system resources but results vary depending on multiple factors, worth exploring though if you need to keep CPU usage down.

Ice
ask  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, July 1, 2015 6:56:47 PM(UTC)
ask

Australia

Was thanked: 199 time(s) in 181 post(s)
FMLE is an unsupported Adobe product. It is very demanding on CPU resources. FFMPEG is a more modern encoder, lighter on the CPU and is constantly being developed and upgraded. vMix has done all the hard work for you and produced optimized profiles for FFMPEG in the streaming module. Give it a try. You can still use FMLE if you prefer....
DYosua  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, July 1, 2015 7:12:03 PM(UTC)
DYosua

Man
United States

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 12 post(s)
tholyoak wrote:

Per the "Streaming Quality" article in the online documentation, it can use the AAC plugin if you have it installed on your computer when using the internal FMLE streaming.
Speegs  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, July 1, 2015 8:31:50 PM(UTC)
Speegs

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 58 post(s)
Quote:

Thanks, but if I already have AAC, what is the advantage of FFMPEG?

FLME + AAC Plugin from Mainconcept work great with lower stream latency and higher CPU usage.

FFMPEG doesn't need an AAC Plugin and works great with lower CPU usage and higher stream latency.

Latency Difference: In all my testing seems to be about 0.5 seconds higher latency with FFMPEG over FMLE. This is not tuning either application via the command line, but using Vmix to control both programs with the same settings in Vmix.

Video Quality Difference: none as far as I'm aware (with same settings).

FMLE has been used with Vmix for longer, therefore you could assume has any issues ironed out. I've had no issues with FFMPEG in recent version of Vmix.