logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
iamralphsutton  
#1 Posted : Sunday, August 14, 2016 12:28:22 AM(UTC)
iamralphsutton

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I am very very new to vmix.. coming from xsplit - feeling like I have outgrown it - and just looking for some pointers/advice.

If anyone can answer these (probably simple) questions - I'd appreciate it.

1) in the input source area - it seems that the inputs automatically become different colors - I am trying to figure out if there is some significance there. (some are blue, orange or green).

2) If I am playing a video - and towards the end of the video - I want it to cue in 2 camera shot - as two squares sliding over the video automatically - is that possible? (like within the last 10 seconds - so that you still hear/see the video behind -- this is for the intro).

3) can I theoretically set up a soundboard - by renaming one of those color squares AUDIO - and just put in the 1/2 dozen drops I need?

4) is there a way to cue up videos - so that the producer can listen to them w/o them going live? I am streaming from the same computer I'd be looking at videos on.

5) I have to make a title INPUT - and then I can overlay it onto a video via multi-view right? Or is there a way to avoid creating that extra input?

6) what does 'create a virtual input' mean?

7) is the only way to adjust audio level of a video/audio file - GENERAL / AUDIO SETTINGS / AUDIO MIXER - lower each channel individually?

8) any great tips/tricks - you could give a green guy - that you wish someone gave you when you started?

Thanks!!
Mathijs  
#2 Posted : Sunday, August 14, 2016 6:16:49 AM(UTC)
Mathijs

Was thanked: 81 time(s) in 72 post(s)
I am always very willing to help, but I think when you read the manual first, 2/3rd of your questions are answered by it, making it much less work to answer those that remain. ;)
AElli  
#3 Posted : Sunday, August 14, 2016 6:31:14 AM(UTC)
AElli

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 12 post(s)
And if you havnt time to read the manual, checkout tutorials on the Vmix YT channel.

A.
iamralphsutton  
#4 Posted : Sunday, August 14, 2016 7:51:42 AM(UTC)
iamralphsutton

So I read thru manual - and watched a lot of videos.... BUT I still cannot find specific answers.. Maybe someone can help me.

1) in the input source area - it seems that the inputs automatically become different colors - I am trying to figure out if there is some significance there. (some are blue, orange or green).

I figured this out - seems obvious now, but I don't see it anywhere in the manual

2) If I am playing a video - and towards the end of the video - I want it to cue in 2 camera shot - as two squares sliding over the video automatically - is that possible? (like within the last 10 seconds - so that you still hear/see the video behind -- this is for the intro).

I can't find this answer anywhere.

3) can I theoretically set up a soundboard - by renaming one of those color squares AUDIO - and just put in the 1/2 dozen drops I need?

I can't find this answer anywhere.

4) is there a way to cue up videos - so that the producer can listen to them w/o them going live? I am streaming from the same computer I'd be looking at videos on.

This - you are saying is only possible w two computers? I don't see why.. there's virtual line in software out there like VoiceMeeter Banana that are supposed to let you do this? But I am not sure.

5) I have to make a title INPUT - and then I can overlay it onto a video via multi-view right? Or is there a way to avoid creating that extra input?

I can't find the answer to this either.

6) what does 'create a virtual input' mean?

If I search Virtual Input on your manual - anything w the word virtual or input comes up - and I haven't found this either

I realize I am a total newbie - but I am doing my best to assimilate this knowledge... we are all newbies once.

AElli  
#5 Posted : Sunday, August 14, 2016 4:33:12 PM(UTC)
AElli

1 program preview and overlay /multiview.
2 search merge transition
3 right click colour box to rename. Then Drag and drop sources.
4 not that I'm aware.
5 click overlay. 1234
6 creates a copy of the same input. To add additional overlays, titles, backgrounds, multiview etc.
A.
thanks 1 user thanked AElli for this useful post.
iamralphsutton on 8/14/2016(UTC)
richardgatarski  
#6 Posted : Sunday, August 14, 2016 5:15:48 PM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Was thanked: 292 time(s) in 246 post(s)
AElli wrote:
4 not that I'm aware.
5 click overlay. 1234
6 creates a copy of the same input. To add additional overlays, titles, backgrounds, multiview etc.
A.

re 4: one way is to press [S] for solo listening in that video Input's entry in the audiomixer.

But hey, dowload and play. It's 2 months for free!

edit: and then you might figure out other ways beyond soloing for queing video clips ;)
thanks 1 user thanked richardgatarski for this useful post.
iamralphsutton on 8/14/2016(UTC)
Bandit62  
#7 Posted : Sunday, August 14, 2016 8:00:02 PM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

For #4, Try this:

In the Audio Mixer, select 'A' or 'B', and 'S' (Solo) and deselect 'M'....now, in the Preview window, play the clip...the audio will be heard, but will not be going out to the main bus...

or:

You can also Download and install 'Virtual Audio Cable'
Untick 'M' in the Audio mixer, and select either 'A' or 'B'. Then go to 'Audio output' in the Settings, and set the 'A' and 'B' to VAC, where VAC will be used for the headphones....then, when you want to monitor the audio from those clips, just play them using either 'A' or 'B'...your audio will not go to the Master bus.....just remember to select 'M' again before you output the clip to main.....

let me know how that worked for you......
iamralphsutton  
#8 Posted : Sunday, August 14, 2016 8:23:38 PM(UTC)
iamralphsutton

Thank you !

I am still a bit confused on the A/B/M/S thing - but i think I am figuring it out.

Bandit62 wrote:
For #4, Try this:

In the Audio Mixer, select 'A' or 'B', and 'S' (Solo) and deselect 'M'....now, in the Preview window, play the clip...the audio will be heard, but will not be going out to the main bus...

or:

You can also Download and install 'Virtual Audio Cable'
Untick 'M' in the Audio mixer, and select either 'A' or 'B'. Then go to 'Audio output' in the Settings, and set the 'A' and 'B' to VAC, where VAC will be used for the headphones....then, when you want to monitor the audio from those clips, just play them using either 'A' or 'B'...your audio will not go to the Master bus.....just remember to select 'M' again before you output the clip to main.....

let me know how that worked for you......

Mathijs  
#9 Posted : Monday, August 15, 2016 8:00:37 AM(UTC)
Mathijs

Was thanked: 81 time(s) in 72 post(s)
M is the Main out. That is the bus that goes to program output, streaming, recording, etc
A is the A bus, that is a separate bus that does not go to recording, streaming, etc. You can set the output of these buses within audio outputs settings to go to a specific output on a audio interface.
B is the same as the A-bus, but another separate channel.

S is Solo. That way you can listen to an input trough the headphones output.

If you have a venue that provides you with audio, but you play footage they need audio for which of course you do not want to get back from them, you will send out the audio over the A or B bus and tell them not to route that back to you.

In your case, you can also put some extra speakers or headphones for the producer connected to the A or B-bus and un-route the video's from Main out and enable output A or B for them. When the producer is finished, of course you need to enable main output again for the video's before using them live.
IceStream  
#10 Posted : Monday, August 15, 2016 11:38:14 AM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ iamralphsutton

Looks like you are well on your way to getting a better understanding of the vMix GUI and workflow, the more you "play" with it, the clearer it will become.
I am not that familiar with x-split and it's capabilities, but there are likely many things that are "easily" done there that are much more complex to set-up in vMix, but I believe are certainly possible.
For item 2 on your list, a simple transition or merge is probably not what you want and this will likely require an advanced set-up with "Triggers" and "Multiview" Inputs.
Items 3 & 4, appear to be effectively covered by others above.
Audio and its routing can be one of the most confusing aspects of any set-up, so it's important to keep an open and clear mind when venturing down that path.
For item 5 on your list, first off, any element you use in vMix needs to be an INPUT.
Using the "MultiView" feature is a way to create pre-composed special effects (upstream Keys) which make vMix a very powerful and versatile tool, but it will take considerable effort and time to fully appreciate how to use it effectively. Using the "Overlay" buttons allows for simple overlays (downstream Keys) such as titles.
A "Virtual Input" is essentially a copy of the chosen INPUT (right click of cog wheel) that can be altered/manipulated to suit your purposes (example: mirror image) that can then be used as a separate (but linked) Input in that it is still connected to the 'original' source and hence only a virtual input.

The best advice anyone can give is to PLAY, PLAY, PLAY around with everything in vMix and explore the possibilities.
If there is a specific task you want to accomplish (item 2 perhaps), there are many here who will be happy to coach and assist you along and help you find a way to make it work the way you want.

Hope that helps out in some way.

Ice
sinc747  
#11 Posted : Monday, August 15, 2016 2:59:04 PM(UTC)
sinc747

Man
United States

Was thanked: 197 time(s) in 163 post(s)
iamralphsutton wrote:

I am still a bit confused on the A/B/M/S thing - but i think I am figuring it out.

There are many folks that share your feelings. :) But it will all fall into place the more you use it.

- Tom
AElli  
#12 Posted : Monday, August 15, 2016 5:48:06 PM(UTC)
AElli

richardgatarski wrote:
AElli wrote:
4 not that I'm aware.
5 click overlay. 1234
A.

re 4: one way is to press [S] for solo listening in that video Input's entry in the audiomixer.

But hey, dowload and play. It's 2 months for free!

edit: and then you might figure out other ways beyond soloing for queing video clips ;)

Yes forgot abt solo..
Another may be to monitor / preview each input source via NDI on a seperate laptop.

A.
iamralphsutton  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, August 16, 2016 6:51:49 AM(UTC)
iamralphsutton

It's interesting - this is the 3rd time someone has suggested to get another computer to do stuff...

and then port it into vmix.

I never had to do that w xsplit - maybe I don't need this much power.. as I don't want to keep throwing money at a problem.

I was hoping that there'd be easy solutions for everything -

but almost every question I had here and in sending to support involved getting a 2nd computer.

which just seems like a big expense - - plus I don't have a lot of room in the studio - especially for another computer.

but I will keep looking into it.
Bandit62  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, August 16, 2016 7:17:10 AM(UTC)

iamralphsutton wrote:
It's interesting - this is the 3rd time someone has suggested to get another computer to do stuff...

and then port it into vmix.

I never had to do that w xsplit - maybe I don't need this much power.. as I don't want to keep throwing money at a problem.

I was hoping that there'd be easy solutions for everything -

but almost every question I had here and in sending to support involved getting a 2nd computer.

which just seems like a big expense - - plus I don't have a lot of room in the studio - especially for another computer.

but I will keep looking into it.

I have an old PC core 2 duo, running vmix, just 4 gigs of ram....and it runs very smooth...I do mostly recording, but it works well....When I need more power, I will build a more powerful system......today, all software developed, is calling for more and more power,......plus, xsplit does not come close to vMix where features are concern....there are plenty features that will need power to perform......when you get to understand vMix, you will see so much features that will see the reason for the power....vMix is a poor man's Tricaster.,....full of great features....
IceStream  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, August 16, 2016 7:33:05 AM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ iamralphsutton

Not exactly sure what you are referring to about 3rd time someone suggested a 2nd computer, there is only one reference to using NDI as near as I can tell.
These are merely options and not necessarily requirements, what is the specific "task" you want to accomplish first?
It is best if we deal with one item at a time and not 6 or 7.

Ice
iamralphsutton  
#16 Posted : Tuesday, August 16, 2016 8:52:29 AM(UTC)
iamralphsutton

Not just here.

The SKYPE call setup - requires a 2nd computer.

I emailed support on another question - and the answer was a 2nd computer.

So it seems like to have xMix work effectively - they want you to have a 2nd computer.

IceStream wrote:
@ iamralphsutton

Not exactly sure what you are referring to about 3rd time someone suggested a 2nd computer, there is only one reference to using NDI as near as I can tell.
These are merely options and not necessarily requirements, what is the specific "task" you want to accomplish first?
It is best if we deal with one item at a time and not 6 or 7.

Ice

admin  
#17 Posted : Tuesday, August 16, 2016 9:37:11 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4166 time(s) in 1497 post(s)
Hi Ralph,

Our response was based on a miscommunication. It sounded like you were asking if a second person
could preview clips while somebody else was handling the production. The only practical way to do that, regardless of software
would be a second computer or laptop.

You can indeed do nearly everything on a single computer, but some aspects may end up being complicated to setup and manage for a single operator.

My suggestion would be to simplify your production, at least initially, to the basics and then improve on the show as you become
more familiar with vMix.

Regards,

Martin
vMix
Bandit62  
#18 Posted : Tuesday, August 16, 2016 9:40:12 AM(UTC)

I really do not know what you are trying to achieve...Tom Sinclair from Streaming Idiots uses a single PC to do his stuff....a second PC is only used for his personal comfort.....for years he only used a single PC...I did Skype calls and recorded as well on a single PC with very low rating.....dual core, 4 gigs of ram, and had no problems...maybe you should read the help files carefully before you make false suggestions....
iamralphsutton  
#19 Posted : Tuesday, August 16, 2016 9:45:14 AM(UTC)
iamralphsutton

There own video for Skype suggests 2 computers! Where am I making a false accusation?

No need to be confrontational.. I truly want to use this system. But acting holier than thou gets us all nowhere.
iamralphsutton  
#20 Posted : Tuesday, August 16, 2016 9:46:32 AM(UTC)
iamralphsutton

My issue is we are already up and running w a setup tjat allows these things.

But I am well aware of xsplit limitations,. And want to switch.

But if everything doesn't work. There'sgonna be a mutiny here.

admin wrote:
Hi Ralph,

Our response was based on a miscommunication. It sounded like you were asking if a second person
could preview clips while somebody else was handling the production. The only practical way to do that, regardless of software
would be a second computer or laptop.

You can indeed do nearly everything on a single computer, but some aspects may end up being complicated to setup and manage for a single operator.

My suggestion would be to simplify your production, at least initially, to the basics and then improve on the show as you become
more familiar with vMix.

Regards,

Martin
vMix