logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
wdp  
#1 Posted : Friday, December 11, 2020 5:59:35 AM(UTC)
wdp

Groups: Registered
United States

Hey! Stoked to be on the forum and testing out vMix. I've seen it in use a few times in low-key setups but never implemented any complex integrations with broadcast work as of yet. So this will be my first vMix build.

I'm currently looking at replacing hardware in a production facility that's running a TriCaster / 3Play / Ultrix setup. We're downgrading a few portions of the desk productions and I'd like to look at avoiding complex SDI routing and going to a more simplified NDI infrastructure for the side productions like our desk show segments and stand ups as well as instant replay and caller/interview integrations. With camera operators out of the building, NDI PTZ cameras may be a great call.

Most of the pre-defined vMix builds seem pretty straightforward, but I haven't found a hardware to usage comparison that I can directly correlate build options with. I see a lot of users on the forums building machines that are pretty powerful. And I tend to take an overkill approach when it comes to broadcast/productions cause the client always wants to "add more."

Since AMD 5000 series chips and nvidia 3000 series cards are nearly impossible to get a hold of, I'm not sure how limited my options are going to be. I figure I'd be looking at a 3900X or higher, and a trying to scrounge up some 2080Ti's for now. Less than Ideal, but unless I order machines from a builder, finding those parts is going to be tough.

Right now, on paper I have a 4 cameras, 2 inbound live streams from remote locations, a graphics channel/machine, 2x playback channels for package content, and a 4 channel instant replay setup. And then 2x multiview monitors in the control room and a return signal to the desk/talent. After that, we have to tie in all the audio, but I haven't quite turned to that page.

What I was thinking is that I'd have 2x vmix clients, one for the main switcher, and another for instant replay. The graphics and playback machines are just fed from workstations.

How much CPU/GPU power will I need to account for, if I'm sticking with 1080 for our production? I assume a 3900X or 3950 and 2080ti will fit the bill based on what I've read, but at what point does processing start to top out? I'd happily go zen3 and a 3080 if they were something I could even purchase.

Our TC has expansion modules for additional sources/outputs. Would I be treating vmix in the same way?
Vince Beck  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, December 16, 2020 6:32:37 AM(UTC)
Vince Beck

United States

Was thanked: 51 time(s) in 51 post(s)
I would stick to a reference system as much as you can, get a cheaper GFX card for now and replace when they become more available. You want a reliable system and one that's tested by the VMix team.

We currently have Obsidian systems with RTX Titans and it's rock solid no matter what we throw at it.

I personally don't like NDI for anything other than Zoom/ Teams. The quality and reliability just doesn't hold up to SDI, plus it has latency that will make syncing everything non NDI a nightmare. Get a router Blackmagic/AJA Kumo with SDI capture cards, convert with Decimators and you'll happy with the results.
Capybara  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, January 13, 2021 11:06:41 AM(UTC)
Capybara

Man
United States

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 1 post(s)
100% agree with Vince regarding NDI, it's ok for somethings but definitely not ready for prime time.

Another tip, we've built four systems so far. Put your money into the GPU, get the best one you can afford.
vMix is a GPU user more than a CPU user. Our last system, we went for the vMix recommended Intel Core i9 10900X CPU
but put the money into a Quadro RTX5000 GPU and we are very glad we did as we have had our older system max out the
GPU during a huge, high profile telethon with a national audience. VERY stressful to get GPU overload warnings while
you are on the air broadcasting to a national audience of a couple hundred thousand.

A lot of people here are hot on the gaming GPUs or the AMDs. We have not tried the AMDs as they weren't available but
my webcast engineer tells me the Quadros can do unlimited streams of simultaneous encoding while RTX GPUs can only do one or two
at a time so we go with the Quadros as they seem to work very well with vMix.

You can get the Quadro RTX6000 for a mere $3,600.00. We just bought three of the Quadro RTX5000s for our builds and they
are working well with huge and complex show builds. No more GPU overload warnings.

https://www.amazon.com/P...o-RTX-6000/dp/B07HYC7P75