logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

7 Pages«<23456>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ClementN  
#61 Posted : Thursday, June 19, 2014 4:27:51 AM(UTC)
ClementN

Groups: Registered
Romania

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 11 post(s)
thecloudmediagroup wrote:

It's late so this might be a terrible idea, but It would almost be nice to eliminate the audio panel essentially altogether and simply have a master fader at the very right of the video inputs and attach a meter and a fader to each input. I know its important to not clog up the input but it might be a nice separation between inputs and make quick mixing and locating of audio a bit easier. I created this little mock up as an idea.

Thoughts?

Yes yes yes :)
This is what I was trying to say for the last 2 days :) :)

(and for those who do not need them, there should bean option to hide the control and meter per module just like we have with the playback speed for video modules)

admin wrote:

Here is an updated screenshot of the audio mixer with busses.
I think this strikes a good balance between functionality and screen real estate.
Thoughts?

It look very nice, Martin. A great step forward. Thank you!
thecloudmediagroup  
#62 Posted : Thursday, June 19, 2014 4:33:36 AM(UTC)
thecloudmediagroup

Man
United States

Was thanked: 78 time(s) in 43 post(s)
Quote:
Here is an updated screenshot of the audio mixer with busses.
I think this strikes a good balance between functionality and screen real estate.

Thoughts?

Looks great! That blue looks really nice.
thecloudmediagroup  
#63 Posted : Thursday, June 19, 2014 4:36:49 AM(UTC)
thecloudmediagroup

Man
United States

Was thanked: 78 time(s) in 43 post(s)
admin wrote:
Each square in the audio meter represents 3db.
0 = 0db
1 = -3db
2 = -6db
3 = -9db
4 = -12db
5 = -15db
6 = -18db
7 = -21db
8 = -24db
9 = -27db
10 = -30db
11 = -33db
12 = -36db
13 = -39db
14 = -42db
15 = -45db
16 = -48db
17 = -51db
18 = -54db
19 = -57db
20 = -60db
21 = -63db
22 = -66db
23 = -69db

Out of approximately 96db dynamic range

My apologies. I was meaning the sliding fader scale and not the metering scale.
richardgatarski  
#64 Posted : Thursday, June 19, 2014 4:39:23 AM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Was thanked: 292 time(s) in 246 post(s)
Seems we are converging in opinions and will get a tremendeous step forward in vMix's audio setup.
I think your updated screen shot looks good Martin. Please consider reshuffling the modules in order to follow the typical layout of most mixers. That is, inputs to the left, then the bus faders, and master at the rightmost position.

With the new bus scheme, will it be possible to have more than three buses (M, A, and B)? I've got a sense that it will be increasingly popular to take in many live IP cameras, for which separate audio routing out to an external mixer would come in handy.

On the other hand, a thought that is on the edge of my thinking (without practical tryouts this is becoming very complex ;). If the IP Inputs (or any other video inputs wiht audio) are assigned to A or B, and then the Audio button on the Input module mute that Input, then it would be possible to have all IP inputs share a bus (eg A). Then by un/muting the Inputs it would be possible to get sound from only one at a time.

In any case, I cant wait to get my fingers on the next beta!

You truly rock Martin!!!
richardgatarski  
#65 Posted : Thursday, June 19, 2014 4:42:37 AM(UTC)
richardgatarski

A small addition. Martin, you have not commented the question of having vMix's audio mixer in a popup window. That, putting the audio mixer in a separate windows screen, and ]EDIT, see below] API commands for audio control - would facilitate a web interface for the audio part. Thus allowing a second operator manage audio on a separate screen.

I don't think you need to develop that web control, guess eager users will take care of that.

EDIT: I originally wrote "shortcuts" above, but I meant API commands that can be used by an external control interface, eg on a web page.
peterphelan  
#66 Posted : Thursday, June 19, 2014 12:40:57 PM(UTC)
peterphelan

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Hi again everyone ... an update:

Whoopee ... Success!! -:) But quite a long story. I'll outline my audio routing since it may help, since the same system now works in vMix.

I spent another couple of days trying all combinations of vMix and my audio mixers and cards I could think of - all to no avail. So in frustration I downloaded the latest beta copy of VidBlaster. And sure enough, just I had found in the past, despite not having looked at VB for almost a year, I was up and running doing what I wanted in about half and hour! And testing again I was able to have myself as the presenter at my desk, run pre-recorded video clips and audio files as required, add lower thirds etc. Throughout all of this I was able to:

1) Use my Panasonic GS400 DV camera (in ProCine 16:9 mode)via Firewire into the main computer
2) Use my boom mounted Rode NTG1 (on phantom power) into my Behringer 1002B mixer, panned full left, then out via main out left to the Shark which added the required 203ms of delay to obtain lip syc
3) Run my delayed audio from the Shark into my Behringer Q502 USB mixer ch3-4 mono
4) Run computer audio (from the video clips and audio files) into the 1002B, panned full right.
5) Run the computer audio (and any other external audio being fed into the 1002B on other channels)out via main out right into the 502.
6) The 502 now receives my voice with delay on ch2-3 and all other audio from the 1002B that does not have delay on ch4-5.
7) This entire mix then goes into the computer (and VB) via the USB of the 502 mixer.

This is fine except to one problem; I cannot monitor that final mix in my headphones because it contains the 203ms delayed audio! So a separate headphone mix is required; one that will allow me to hear everything as normal, but containing my non delayed audio. This is achieved by sending my original (non delayed) audio channel out via an fx send into the USB-2track input of the 502.

Buttons on this allow me to route that audio to just my headphones. So by toggling this button on and off I can match the audio level I hear to be the same with or without the delay. It only remains for me to then send via the fx send, the right amount of audio from all the other channels of the 1002B to again match the level heard in the 502 final mix.

Once this is all set up I can then just keep the 502's USB-2track button depressed so that I hear the final mix and myself without the delay.

Phew! -:) sounds complicated, and could be easier with a mixer that could set up a separate headphone mix. But how about vMix in all this? Hooking up yet another audio interface - my Edirol UA-25 - and being involved in both audio and computers since before the invention of "Windows" I decided to give it one last try

I am still trying to get my head around things audio wise in vMix but it seems my longstanding mistake was in adding my external mixer as an audio input! Seemed logical to me; but it's not needed and causes complications. Under the main Settings in vMix, having just set my Edirol UA-25 as the audio output and my 502 USB mixer as the recording audio interface, it all worked! The mixer does not show up as an input in vMix at all!

I could fade audio in and out as required on the 1002B mixer, monitor and listen back on the headphones of the 502 mixer. The vMix mixer gives confusing results, with its audio levels running full volume, even when the mixer's levels are off. And so they bear no relationship to what is being actually recorded. So having established the meters were showing audio in the Recorder channel, I thankfully just closed the vMix mixer down.

I have not tried streaming yet; just wanted to update folks on my findings so far.

As for the vMix mixer; not sure if it's been suggested - but could it not have an option to pop up in another window? It could then be moved over to another monitor and not clutter up the main vMix interface. Users could then choose to have the mixer "docked" on free floating. I just want my audio to run as in VB and would never use it!

Anyway, I am a pretty happy bunny right now and looking forward to some more experimenting.

Peter
PS. Just thought I would add that the cables run balanced where possible and via Behringer HD400 and ground loop isolators of course!
richardgatarski  
#67 Posted : Thursday, June 19, 2014 1:12:29 PM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Glad that you are happy Peter!

Just a bit of repetition from my side. I still think it is important to see, and hear, what vMix is actually recording. Our experience is that things happens (eg ground loops, disconnected cables, etc) between in your case the 502 mixer's USB out and the audio fed inside the PC to the recording file/streamer part. AFAIK that is not possible in VidBlaster.

As it looks right now, vMix will soon be able to let me have L/R from the exernal mixer's headpone and L/R headphone out from vMix. I could then use either a passive 2in-1out switcher, or a simple mixer like the 502, and easily switch between listening to the external mixer's output and what is actually recorded in vMix.

The "option to pop up in another window" is already on the table.

Thanks.
ovinas  
#68 Posted : Thursday, June 19, 2014 1:34:37 PM(UTC)
ovinas

Man

Was thanked: 57 time(s) in 49 post(s)
richardgatarski wrote:
The "option to pop up in another window" is already on the table.

That's not really an option because you will run into problems with the keyboard shortcuts. Only the window in focus will receive them and that should always be the video switching/main program window.
richardgatarski  
#69 Posted : Thursday, June 19, 2014 1:47:08 PM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Thanks Ovinas, you are correct.

When I in a previus post wrote "shortcuts" there was a mindslip. I meant "API" commands, so that as the popup audio mixer could be controlled externally. For example via a web interface (as someone else suggested, forgot who).
peterphelan  
#70 Posted : Thursday, June 19, 2014 2:54:20 PM(UTC)
peterphelan

Man
United Kingdom

Hi again Richard,
I see things have moved on a bit in the last few days, with discussion the features of the new v13 etc. and had not realised this when I posted. I'll just experiment some more with what I have for the moment; it seems to work at last, so I am not going to fix it! -:)

I would just add my vote to something said earlier, in getting audio outside of vMix completely for anything but the most simple setup. This "software creep" where increasing amounts of so called "features" are added is common. I agree being able to hear what is actually being recorded or streamed is nice but overall, keep vMix as a brilliant video switcher and do not try to make it into an all singing and dancing audio mastering tool too. Are we going to see limiter, expander gates requested next! -:)

Peter
admin  
#71 Posted : Thursday, June 19, 2014 10:48:12 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4166 time(s) in 1497 post(s)
Regarding the outputs to the right, let me suggest that might not be a good idea.
In particular with a lot of inputs they will be pushed out of view, when it is the output meters you really
want to be looking at during a production.

Plus when in multiple input row mode, they will be placed underneath.

ClementN  
#72 Posted : Friday, June 20, 2014 6:48:27 AM(UTC)
ClementN

Romania

I can't wait to play with the preview version Martin will prepare .. :)

Until then, I have a potential issue ( in theory ) working with multiple buses.

Let's say I get all the mics into an external mixer and it feeds vMix trough an audio module.

Right now, I have a delay of aprox 120 ms for that sound in order to keep the lip sync.

With the buses (let's say I use bus A to route the internal audio - video modules or ipcameras) I send the sound to the same mixer and get it back trough the audio module into the Master.

But remember.. the audio module insert a delay of 120 ..

So, the audio from the video module will have a delay of at least 120 ms now so it will be out of sync.

Any thoughts ? Any work around ?

admin  
#73 Posted : Friday, June 20, 2014 7:33:49 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

When audio is added as an input, vMix will keep it in sync with the video which involves adding a small delay.

To avoid this for the final mix you simply set that input in vMix settings under Audio as the recording/streaming/external device instead.
No need to bring that in as an input, though you will be able to do that as well for monitoring (make sure all busses are turned off to prevent a loop)
ovinas  
#74 Posted : Friday, June 20, 2014 8:24:00 AM(UTC)
ovinas

Man

Was thanked: 57 time(s) in 49 post(s)
Or do it like this (Total Control Setup - TCS :-) ):

UserPostedImage
ClementN  
#75 Posted : Friday, June 20, 2014 9:05:30 AM(UTC)
ClementN

Romania

admin wrote:

To avoid this for the final mix you simply set that input in vMix settings under Audio as the recording/streaming/external device instead.
No need to bring that in as an input, though you will be able to do that as well for monitoring (make sure all busses are turned off to prevent a loop)

We need to have the external audio in as an audio input because we need to be able to automatically (triggers) switch on and off the external audio in different moments of the show.

ovinas wrote:

Or do it like this (Total Control Setup - TCS :-) ):

This is a very good solution. Thank you very much for the time to make the scheme

For us, is still 2 steps away from ideal :)

1) We try to find a solution that fits any mixer (including the ones with only one or no aux)
2) We try to keep the connection between the computer and mixer out of analog wires and use only the USB

While in your illustration the Audio In seems to use USB for both aux, I do not any external mixer that has 2 aux that can be connected trough USB . Is there a such mixer ?

admin  
#76 Posted : Friday, June 20, 2014 9:31:17 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

ClementN wrote:

We need to have the external audio in as an audio input because we need to be able to automatically (triggers) switch on and off the external audio in different moments of the show.

Could you explain in more detail what you mean by this?
Since the audio mixer will be controlling this input, surely you can mute sources as required there?
richardgatarski  
#77 Posted : Friday, June 20, 2014 10:22:56 AM(UTC)
richardgatarski

My guess is that ClementN uses API commands to switch video (cut to input) and un/mute audio input at the same time.

ClementN wrote:

Right now, I have a delay of aprox 120 ms for that sound in order to keep the lip sync.

Please specify clearly where and how audio is routed/delayed. After all, this delay could be inserted between the mikes and the external mixer's mike input, routed on the external mixer out to auxN, delayed, and then inserted back into the external mixer, between the external mixers Aux/Main out, etc. As well as somewhere inside vMix.

I suggest that Martin releases something (perhaps a closed beta in order to not confuse everyone who doesn't care about our intricate discussion) and let us try to accomplish what we need.

On (more) thing I believe is important on the way. The recording/streaming delay that one can set in vMix should be applied AFTER headphones out (and probably after the Main level meter too). Otherwise it is impossible to listen to vMix's audio if the operator is in the same room as the sound sources.

admin  
#78 Posted : Friday, June 20, 2014 11:26:16 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

I've included this update here for download so you guys can try out the new audio features!
If there aren't any major bugs I will post it to the main beta thread as well.

http://www.vmix.com.au/download/vmix13.99.exe

Features/Changes

* Separate headphone volume control to set master level independently of master output.
* Soloing an input no longer overrides master level. Master level will always show what is going out to recording.
* New A/B busses for various audio routing scenarios and basic mix minus for Skype etc (when used with Virtual Audio Cable)
* Audio Mixer can be undocked to a separate window
* New Audio Outputs tab in Settings with audio channel selection
(Use 5.1 sound card output as three independent stereo channels)
* Added tool tips to various buttons to explain functionality
* Audio Mixers can be collapsed

Regards,

Martin
vMix
thanks 1 user thanked admin for this useful post.
ClementN on 6/20/2014(UTC)
peterphelan  
#79 Posted : Friday, June 20, 2014 11:53:46 AM(UTC)
peterphelan

Man
United Kingdom

Crikey, lots of interesting discussion here. But can I ask why folk are so keen to keep all this audio stuff within vMix itself? I think it's generally accepted that you get better control of a video mixer such as the Tricaster series by using an external control surface? So why not apply the same principle to audio and use an external tool specifically designed for the job?

A hardware mixer setup seems the obvious solution to me, but if you want to keep things to software, why not have vMix receive its audio from a DAW? The current train of thought seems to me it will lead to ever increasing complexity. For example ClementN said a while back:

>>Also, we need to mute-unmute the skype sound many times between the skype-person speeches just to cut the noise (we do that using "Audio" button from the input module.<<

No offence intended, so hope this comment will be treated as constructive, but this just seems "nuts" to me -:) You can achieve the result much more effectively and automatically by using a Gate. So as I said earlier, are you now going have yet more sliders in vMix to adjust threshold, pre-open, attack, hold and release times! And all via a mouse!

I'll just shut up now -:) .. I must be gettin' old .. and go back to Richard's original comment and say for me:

1)Have vMix receive all its audio via one stereo audio input only; and that's an external mixer. That way its meters can accurately show the audio level being recorded inside vMix. And remove all the present screen real estate taken up by the inbuilt mixer.

2)As you add each Input, have an option under the audio settings to select which audio source will handle the audio for that input. And send that out to the external mixer.

3)Have the option Richard suggested of being able to toggle between external mixer mix and vMix mix for monitoring and checking what is actually being recorded or streamed.

Job done -:)

But you are doing a fantastic job Martin - hats off to you! Despite my comments above, I'll download the v13 Preview! -:) Why not just take your mixer out of vMix and have it as a separate piece of software - a dedicated software mixer; specifically designed to work in conjunction with vMix?

Peter
richardgatarski  
#80 Posted : Friday, June 20, 2014 12:00:29 PM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Thank you Martin!

In case anyone wonders why I don't comment anything here until early next week, I would like to explain that the Midsummer Partying begins now. So I will be busy dancing around a pole with leaves and flowers, sing traditional schnapps songs, flip stuff on the barbecue, eat like a Viking, not sleep, and so on.

See ya!