logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

7 Pages<1234>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
richardgatarski  
#21 Posted : Tuesday, June 17, 2014 6:22:05 AM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 292 time(s) in 246 post(s)
Quote:
Are you using a DI box when feeding your computer audio?

Yes, but in practice DI boxes does not always work. Trust me, we have tried with many different DI boxes. Today we rely mostly on cheap "Ground loop isolators", like this one (less than USD 10), and Lundahl professional problem solvers, like the LL1584-3FX3MX (far more expensive).

One complicating factor is that since VidBlaster did not have any audio delay, we delayed using external hardware. These need power, which means yet another route for ground currents. Typically means we sometimes have to reconfigure where to insert isolators, depening on type of external mixers, delayers, you name it. With vMix this will be much easier to manage for us.

Quote:
The audio monitoring setting is gold for us as we use an external mixer with usb input ( and usb to phones button )

Digging more into vMix audio I think that the most important thing I am after is to be able to monitor (see levels and listen to the sound) what we actually are going to record/stream before and during we are live. Our typical setup seems to be like what Martin described was the setup with the Teradek studio at NAB. Although it is still unclear if it was possible to do the kind of monitoring I am after. With v13 I am still stuck with that the device I set for vMix's recording cannot be both monitored and recorded.

Quote:
converts the AES into SPDIF and then is sent to our streaming computer's audio card

And then you define that audio card as recording device, but can you monitor it in vMix?

Quote:
audio routing and workflow would benefit from a minimalist approach

Absolutely! Thus, having the option to route audio out from players individually might be going too far.
admin  
#22 Posted : Tuesday, June 17, 2014 7:16:47 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4161 time(s) in 1494 post(s)
Quote:
the most important thing I am after is to be able to monitor (see levels and listen to the sound) what we actually are going to record/stream before and during we are live.

The difficulty is, if you are using an external mixer, then any monitoring on the PC is just going to cause a feedback loop.
richardgatarski  
#23 Posted : Tuesday, June 17, 2014 9:07:05 AM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Thanks Martin, I do realize it is difficult. Perhaps the hardest part is to understand my confused thoughts ;)

My naive hope (knowing too little about Windows audio and how vMix is designed internally) is that there may actually be some way of monitoring the recording (and streaming) audio. This hope was fuelled when Solo monitoring showed up, and you wrote:
Quote:
The solo input will not go to the recording, stream or external output.
It will display audio bars in the Master so you can see the levels of what you are soloing.

That is very close to what I am after (eg "see levels"), but need to also go to recording and stream (but not external output). Hence if Solo was possible to implement, then there might be a similar trick that sort of takes vMix's internal mixer out of the loop.

An attempt to summarize my current thoughts regarding external audio mixing:

First, I think that if audio is mixed externally (advanced mode) then all audio levels should be mixed outside vMix. That means that vMix's internal audio mixer is not relevant in order to monitor, adjust levels, compression, etc. Only for routing audio from inputs to output devices, and take audio from one input device to recording/monitoring. Monitoring what vMix actually gets from the mixer is better than monitoring at the mixer (and hope that vMix gets the same signal).

Second, Ideally it would be possible to set for each input that can generate audio (like cameras and videos) which audio output device that audio should be fed to (instead of going to vMix's internal mixer). Audio should be sent to the specified device when selected either by automixing, or by clicking the input's Audio button. If it can't be routed individually, then all input's audio should go to an output device (Settings/Audio/Audio output).

Third, Audio from the external mixer's output (eg Main) should only go into vMix for Recording, Streaming and Master level monitor. Not back to any output device, which would cause a feedback loop.

Don't think I can explain it better. And if that did not help, than I let it go. Of course I am open to answer any requests for clarifications, as well as listen to arguments why it actually is impossible.

Thank you all for being patient with me.
ClementN  
#24 Posted : Tuesday, June 17, 2014 10:50:03 AM(UTC)
ClementN

Romania

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 11 post(s)
richardgatarski wrote:

Quote:
The audio monitoring setting is gold for us as we use an external mixer with usb input ( and usb to phones button )

Digging more into vMix audio I think that the most important thing I am after is to be able to monitor (see levels and listen to the sound) what we actually are going to record/stream before and during we are live. Our typical setup seems to be like what Martin described was the setup with the Teradek studio at NAB. Although it is still unclear if it was possible to do the kind of monitoring I am after. With v13 I am still stuck with that the device I set for vMix's recording cannot be both monitored and recorded.

Here is how we monitor the sound from the recorder/livestream trough the same external mixer we use to feed the vMix.

We have several Behringer audio mixer with different input options and use them according to the event we cover ( 1 input when the sound is coming from the venue system or multiple inputs when we handle several mics).

All these mixers are USB capable and they use same driver so as long as we use same usb connector each time there is no need to change anything in vMix settings or presets from event to event)

Ex: http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/Q502USB.aspx http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/Q1002USB.aspx http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/Q1204USB.aspx

Feeding vMix
--------------------

We feed the vMix audio trough USB . That way we avoid the ground loop issues, too.

We created an audio module for the USB line-in comming from the external mixer. That module brings another advantage because we are able to automate the control to mute and un-mute the sound from external mixer when needed ( shortcuts).

So, now we have the sound from the external mixer to vMix.

Monitoring the vMix sound.

In order to monitor the recording/livestreaming sound we set-up the "Audio Output" to the USB Speakers
Now, in v13 it is even better because we set-up the "Headphones Output" to USB Speakers and the "Audio Output" to the desktop speakers output for other uses.

IMPORTANT!.. All of these Behringer mixers has a button called "USB to .."
We that button you decide what to do with the audio comming from vMix .

There are 2 options:

a) USB to main mix
b) USB to phones

Obviously if you use option a) there will be sound loop and nothing will work

If you use the option b) USB to phones then you will hear the vMIX sound (now including the solo feature).

IMPORTANT! IMPORTANT! - It is relativly easy to push the button by mistake and have the "USB to main mix" loop that will ruin the sound in a live production. So it is very important to pay attention to that button!

thanks 1 user thanked ClementN for this useful post.
richardgatarski on 6/17/2014(UTC)
richardgatarski  
#25 Posted : Tuesday, June 17, 2014 12:21:11 PM(UTC)
richardgatarski

ClementN,
Thanks. That's sort of one setup I tried. Two issues.

First, there is a slight audio delay induced when monitoring via USB (will perhaps go away if I install Behringer's USB audio driver that I recall reading somewhere has less latency). Terrible for the one who is listening using headphones.

Second, audio played out in vMix (eg a video or an IP cam) still need to be mixed in vMix. That is of course possible, but somewhat confusing for the operator. Imagine sitting there with an external mixer and when things heat up during a live production having to remember that video audio from vMix must be mixed in vMix, not on the external mixer. For example, if the level is too low in the video, it does not help to slide up the Main levers on the external mixer.

Or, am I still missing something?

(BTW, found that even if I connect audio in/out via USB I get a ground loop from the HDMI audio extractor I use to get audio out to the external mixer from an external PC coming in via HDMI).
ClementN  
#26 Posted : Tuesday, June 17, 2014 2:56:32 PM(UTC)
ClementN

Romania

That's correct, Richard.

This is not a solution for mixing. It was only a way for us to monitor the sound from vMix.

How you react when you need to change things is another story and I totally agree with you.

As for the delay, it is there. :)

richardgatarski  
#27 Posted : Tuesday, June 17, 2014 3:25:10 PM(UTC)
richardgatarski

thecloudmediagroup,
your setup is slightly more advanced than my my ambitions ;)
what kind of audio input card on the vMix PC do you use to get SPDIF in? Actually, I am more interested in TOSLINK for audio in, as a way to minimize ground loops.

ClementN,
I think there is something in Windows audio (or perhaps for some specific audio cards) that allows one to set "listen to this device" for inputs. If it is, then maybe vMix could enable that as a way to allow the input device to be used both for recording, and monitoring.

thecloudmediagroup  
#28 Posted : Tuesday, June 17, 2014 4:12:51 PM(UTC)
thecloudmediagroup

Man
United States

Was thanked: 78 time(s) in 43 post(s)
richardgatarski wrote:
Quote:
Are you using a DI box when feeding your computer audio?

Yes, but in practice DI boxes does not always work. Trust me, we have tried with many different DI boxes.

I have run into the same issue a lot running equipment all over our building. Understanding where the loop is introduced is really important for figuring out those hums. If the line that bridges two separately grounded systems is ground lifted, there should not be a ground loop.

For us in the past this has been over Coax, USB audio interfaces and audio snakes. For instance if you have a laptop that is connected to multiple external devices you run a risk for a ground loop hum. This could be over audio cables, video cables or a connected device that is grounded (External HD).

Quote:
converts the AES into SPDIF and then is sent to our streaming computer's audio card

And then you define that audio card as recording device, but can you monitor it in vMix?

We can monitor it in both. We are able to monitor it directly from Ultra Match. In our current system we have the RCA SPDIF going to a sound bar in our production booth. The Ultra Match has Digital RCA, Toslink and XLR/AES outputs as well as a headphone monitoring output. That allows us a monitoring system that is pre vMix.
thecloudmediagroup  
#29 Posted : Tuesday, June 17, 2014 4:20:35 PM(UTC)
thecloudmediagroup

Man
United States

richardgatarski wrote:
thecloudmediagroup,
your setup is slightly more advanced than my my ambitions ;)
what kind of audio input card on the vMix PC do you use to get SPDIF in? Actually, I am more interested in TOSLINK for audio in, as a way to minimize ground loops.

ClementN,
I think there is something in Windows audio (or perhaps for some specific audio cards) that allows one to set "listen to this device" for inputs. If it is, then maybe vMix could enable that as a way to allow the input device to be used both for recording, and monitoring.

We are using an X-FI Sound Blaster PCI-E card I believe. We are currently using TOSLINK for our input to the computer.

How many channels of external audio are you running? There are smaller rackmount version of the X32 that can still achieve the same results as the large board and is much more affordable.

Windows does use the "listen to this device". That is how we end up sending our audio over HDMI. If you have multiple outputs in your system, you would be able to monitor an input within windows audio before it gets into the vMix audio system. For instance, if you had an audio card output, you could set your external input you "listen to this device" and set the output to the audio card. You would still be able to use that input within vMix. In vMix you would then route your audio output to another device which would be your final vMix audio feed. The audiocard output could be a headphone monitoring feed and the vMix could be a PA or final broadcast mix.
richardgatarski  
#30 Posted : Tuesday, June 17, 2014 4:36:38 PM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Appreciate everything you write, but sort of got lost at:
Quote:

Windows does use the "listen to this device". That is how we end up sending our audio over HDMI. If you have multiple outputs in your system, you would be able to monitor an input within windows audio before it gets into the vMix audio system. For instance, if you had an audio card output, you could set your external input you "listen to this device" and set the output to the audio card. You would still be able to use that input within vMix. In vMix you would then route your audio output to another device which would be your final vMix audio feed. The audiocard output could be a headphone monitoring feed and the vMix could be a PA or final broadcast mix.

My hope is that since it's possible, then maybe vMix could take care of all the complicated settings (eg "listen to") inside Windows, thus relieving us from going into the control panel and make sure that everything is setup properly everytime vMix is run.
thanks 1 user thanked richardgatarski for this useful post.
ClementN on 6/18/2014(UTC)
ovinas  
#31 Posted : Tuesday, June 17, 2014 5:12:58 PM(UTC)
ovinas

Man

Was thanked: 57 time(s) in 49 post(s)
I think the current audio system is a little bit inflexible and the new solo function is more confusing than helpful to most users.
What about a audio system with a small matrix or bus system?

UserPostedImage

Bus A could be fixed to Recording/Streaming/External. Bus B & C are configurable to the hardware outputs.

Just two examples for usage:

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Just an idea and I don't know if this could be done with WindowsAudio/DirectSound?
thanks 1 user thanked ovinas for this useful post.
richardgatarski on 6/18/2014(UTC)
thecloudmediagroup  
#32 Posted : Tuesday, June 17, 2014 9:29:16 PM(UTC)
thecloudmediagroup

Man
United States

ovinas wrote:
I think the current audio system is a little bit inflexible and the new solo function is more confusing than helpful to most users.
What about a audio system with a small matrix or bus system?

Bus A could be fixed to Recording/Streaming/External. Bus B & C are configurable to the hardware outputs.

Just two examples for usage:

Just an idea and I don't know if this could be done with WindowsAudio/DirectSound?

Perfectly put Ovinas!

That setup of internal Aux tracks would be the perfect solution for audio routing and mixing. I don't believe it makes vMix too detailed in terms of routing yet gives some convenient solutions for basic AUX mixing.

Martin, would it be possible to add support for ASIO audio inputs?
admin  
#33 Posted : Tuesday, June 17, 2014 9:29:28 PM(UTC)
admin

Man

The new audio engine allows for a bus system to be added quite easily (The headphones/solo channel
is a separate bus for example).

The design side of things is what we probably need to discuss further.
If everyone agrees something like Ovinas has posted is a good setup, then I can design it that way, however
my thinking is to keep things as simple as they are now and set it up as the following:

1. Additional outputs will show up next to Master only when in use
2. Right clicking the Speaker icon will allow you to check/uncheck which bus to send the input to.
(For example, Master, 1, 2, 3 and 4)

What do you think?
thecloudmediagroup  
#34 Posted : Tuesday, June 17, 2014 10:20:43 PM(UTC)
thecloudmediagroup

Man
United States

admin wrote:
The new audio engine allows for a bus system to be added quite easily (The headphones/solo channel
is a separate bus for example).

The design side of things is what we probably need to discuss further.
If everyone agrees something like Ovinas has posted is a good setup, then I can design it that way, however
my thinking is to keep things as simple as they are now and set it up as the following:

1. Additional outputs will show up next to Master only when in use
2. Right clicking the Speaker icon will allow you to check/uncheck which bus to send the input to.
(For example, Master, 1, 2, 3 and 4)

What do you think?

I totally agree. I think balancing function and simplicity is going to be important. Just thinking out loud, would it be possible or a good idea to make the audio panel able to pop out to its own window?

I also really liked a previous post, that seems to have been deleted, about the integration of a more in depth audio meter. Precise audio monitoring is really important for our broadcasting. Having a numbered system in dBFS would be great as well as a faster response audio meter.
thanks 1 user thanked thecloudmediagroup for this useful post.
Grimble  
#35 Posted : Tuesday, June 17, 2014 11:12:18 PM(UTC)
Grimble

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
What your suggesting sounds sensible Martin. I'd also add that each input should be able to route to multiple buses, as shown in Ovinas' diagram. Having a right click menu would probably prevent you accidentally switching an input to a different output bus, however buttons that locks when the global lock is active would work too. You'd probably want some sort of indicator showing which buses a particular input is routed to though, so you can quickly see if something is set up wrong.

I'd also combine this with the collapsible audio inputs, much like video inputs are collapsible. I always have sources with audio that I will never touch, so minimising the screen space they take up would be good.

Cheers!
Grimble.
thecloudmediagroup  
#36 Posted : Tuesday, June 17, 2014 11:31:58 PM(UTC)
thecloudmediagroup

Man
United States

Grimble wrote:
What your suggesting sounds sensible Martin. I'd also add that each input should be able to route to multiple buses, as shown in Ovinas' diagram. Having a right click menu would probably prevent you accidentally switching an input to a different output bus, however buttons that locks when the global lock is active would work too. You'd probably want some sort of indicator showing which buses a particular input is routed to though, so you can quickly see if something is set up wrong.

I'd also combine this with the collapsible audio inputs, much like video inputs are collapsible. I always have sources with audio that I will never touch, so minimising the screen space they take up would be good.

Cheers!
Grimble.

+1 for collapsible audio inputs as well as the aux bus buttons.

admin  
#37 Posted : Wednesday, June 18, 2014 2:55:51 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

Here is what I have put together so far:

UserPostedImage

The mixers can also be collapsed.

Thanks to Ovinas for the layout idea.
I am hopeful this will cover 99% of what you guys are asking for.

In order to monitor the streaming and recording output, you could run the audio inputs through the busses in the following way:

1. Set vMix Audio as the Recording/Streaming source in vMix Settings
2. Add the audio mixer source as an input in vMix making sure it is the only input being sent to the Master (M) bus.
3. Select Bus A or B for all other inputs and run these into the audio mixer.
4. Plug headphones into the Master output to monitor and solo inputs as necessary. Using solo will not affect the recording/stream/busses in any way.

Thoughts?

Regards,

Martin
vMix
thanks 1 user thanked admin for this useful post.
thecloudmediagroup  
#38 Posted : Wednesday, June 18, 2014 3:57:56 AM(UTC)
thecloudmediagroup

Man
United States

admin wrote:
Here is what I have put together so far:

UserPostedImage

The mixers can also be collapsed.

Thanks to Ovinas for the layout idea.
I am hopeful this will cover 99% of what you guys are asking for.

In order to monitor the streaming and recording output, you could run the audio inputs through the busses in the following way:

1. Set vMix Audio as the Recording/Streaming source in vMix Settings
2. Add the audio mixer source as an input in vMix making sure it is the only input being sent to the Master (M) bus.
3. Select Bus A or B for all other inputs and run these into the audio mixer.
4. Plug headphones into the Master output to monitor and solo inputs as necessary. Using solo will not affect the recording/stream/busses in any way.

Thoughts?

Regards,

Martin
vMix

Layout looks great! Would it be possible to have the Outputs and Inputs labels be different colors?

Also, from an audio point of view it might make more sense to have the outputs be on the very right of the panel like you would see on an audio mixer.

The monitoring layout you listed above seem like the best solution for monitoring.
ClementN  
#39 Posted : Wednesday, June 18, 2014 4:34:36 AM(UTC)
ClementN

Romania

Just a detail but probably important over time ...

Can you put an option in "Audio" settings for the "default audio bus" for new inputs ?

I imagine us in the future adding several video inputs per event and having to go to each one in the audio mixer to change the bus from Master to A ....

richardgatarski  
#40 Posted : Wednesday, June 18, 2014 5:51:03 AM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Thank you all! I am getting *really* excited here :)

First some quick comments on a few previous suggestions. Yes, please
- inputs left of outputs
- different colors of slider handles for inputs/outputs
- default audio bus/es for new inputs
- pop out window for vMix's audio mixer

Still, I am a little bit confused after Martin's description, probably because of the terminology and my lack of sufficient insights...

For examples, when Martin writes vMix (as in "Set vMix Audio"), is that "vMix Master audio"? And for "2 Add the audio mixer source as an input in vMix" - which audio mixer source? Maybe it is "2 add the output from the external mixer as an Audio input module in vMix".

I put together this long post. But to be honest, I am not sure I got everything right, so regard it as food for disussions. Maybe the best thing is to get a beta first and play with it...

One thing I am pondering about is how viable it is to have both an "Audio" button in the input modules, a speaker icon next to vMix's faders, and the M/A/B buttons. Why not skip the speaker icon and replace the Audio button with M/A/B buttons on the input modules? (see more in my suggestion below)

Is it assumed that the headphones is for either Master or Solo? That is, it should not be possible to listen to for example bus A?

Furthermore, it might be useful to clearly differentiate between audio mixing done in vMix and external audio mixing. Both for managing the possible settings, as well as making clear for the user what one is doing. Hence, I wonder if there should be different Audio settings available for internal and external audio mixing respectively. If so, maybe something like below.

A new Audio setting, namely:
Audio mixer: (Internal or External)

INTERNAL AUDIO MIXING
When Internal mixing is selected, these Audio settings apply:
- Headphones output: (none or any available audio output device)
- Audio bus A output: (none or any available audio output device)
- Audio bus B output: (none or any available audio output device)
- Recording&streaming audio: (none, Master, A, B)

S solo to headphone, not affecting what's in Master
M button performs like the current Audio/speaker icon
A button displayed if set to other than none, on/off to bus A
B button displayed if set to other than none, on/off to bus B
Faders for Master, and buses if set to other than none.

EXTERNAL AUDIO MIXING
When External mixing is selected:
- Headphones output: (none or any available audio output device)
- Audio bus A output: (none or any available audio output device)
- Audio bus B output: (none or any available audio output device)
- Recording&streaming audio: (none or any available audio input device)
S solo to headphone, not affecting what's in Master
M button performs like the current Audio/speaker icon
A button displayed if set to other than none, on/off to bus A
B button displayed if set to other than none, on/off to bus B
Fader for Master only