logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

7 Pages<12345>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
richardgatarski  
#41 Posted : Wednesday, June 18, 2014 5:53:39 AM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 292 time(s) in 246 post(s)
thecloudmediagroup wrote:

I also really liked a previous post, that seems to have been deleted, about the integration of a more in depth audio meter. Precise audio monitoring is really important for our broadcasting. Having a numbered system in dBFS would be great as well as a faster response audio meter.

That post is in the topic vMix 13 preview.
admin  
#42 Posted : Wednesday, June 18, 2014 6:19:09 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4160 time(s) in 1494 post(s)
I'll attempt to clarify what I meant for monitoring a bit further...

Currently when using an external audio mixer you set this in vMix Settings -> Audio tab as the recording/streaming/external audio source.

With the bus system, you would add the external audio mixer into vMix as an Audio Input instead. (Leaving the setting above as "vMix Audio")
This Audio Input would be set to "M" or Master only, so that the audio goes directly to the recording and streaming. ("vMix Audio" is always the master mix)

Then for the rest of your inputs you would select either bus A or B and turn off bus M in order to route these through your audio mixer.

Because the external audio mixer shows up as an ordinary input you can monitor the audio levels as well as being able to Solo it.

Couple of other notes:

The speaker/audio icon still needs to remain so you have quick way to mute audio for all outputs regardless of bus.
This is also because the busses may not only be used in this way, they may be used in mix minus scenarios which would require a global mute button.

Master/Headphones share the same sound card output by default. This is why the Bus A and B would be used for routing to the external audio mixer.

thanks 1 user thanked admin for this useful post.
peterphelan on 6/20/2014(UTC)
ClementN  
#43 Posted : Wednesday, June 18, 2014 6:20:10 AM(UTC)
ClementN

Romania

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 11 post(s)
richardgatarski wrote:

- pop out window for vMix's audio mixer

Just please pay attention so the shortcuts will work when that pop-up window is in focus.

Also, an important addition probably can be the ability to make the audio mixing trough a web page, just like the other controls trough web.

That way, when needed we can have a dedicated person for the audio part just like we have with the titles.
I think that web part will be useful even we succeed to do the audio mixing mainly trough the external mixer.
There will be always a need to monitor which inputs are audio enabled and where and the levels and mute-unmute ... or solo-ing things without interfere with the video mixing person and fight for the "mouse pointer" :)

richardgatarski wrote:

One thing I am pondering about is how viable it is to have both an "Audio" button in the input modules, a speaker icon next to vMix's faders, and the M/A/B buttons. Why not skip the speaker icon and replace the Audio button with M/A/B buttons on the input modules? (see more in my suggestion below)

Absolutelly right. But I think those buttons (MAB) should be present both within the main input modules ( on the left ) and within the audio mixer area (on the right) because, when we want to quickly check the status of a module or change something (mute-unmute) it is easier to go to the main module window on the left as it is easier to visually identify it.
Also, probably, the "Follow" button should be there, too as sometime, we see the Audio button deactivated but forget to check the "Follow" on the right in the Audio Mixing area to have that deactivated, too.

On that point, probably it can be a discussion if isn't a better solution having all the audio options ( MAB, volume slider, visual metters) for the input modules only there on the left side of the screen and keep only the Outputs in the audio mixing area.

I mean, we already have the volum level indicators and some of the audio buttons in the input module placeholder.
The only thing in the audio mixer area is the level slider.
If we move it to the input module the slider, too.. we'll be able to control anything from there.

That way, we probably save a lot of real estate and train our quick reactions to go to only one point when need to change anything about an input module no matter what we need to change.

Right now, we mute-unmute them from the input module area, check if there is sound or not from the same place (input modules area) and go to the audio mixing only when we need to change the volume level (and now when need to solo-ing)

thecloudmediagroup  
#44 Posted : Wednesday, June 18, 2014 7:27:30 AM(UTC)
thecloudmediagroup

Man
United States

Was thanked: 78 time(s) in 43 post(s)
Another audio engineer comment on the design.

For some reason Clement's last comment made me realize that the speaker icon was basically a mute button. In my mind that was an on/off switch, which is essentially the same thing :)

From a visual standpoint, it would be nice to have the mute button be colored red like most audio mixers "mute" button.

My guess is that you are trying to keep the number of colors in the interface to a minimum but a red mute button would be nice for a quick view of what is muted and what is not.

Thanks Martin! You are doing a great job.
ovinas  
#45 Posted : Wednesday, June 18, 2014 7:47:30 AM(UTC)
ovinas

Man

Was thanked: 57 time(s) in 49 post(s)
I don't think it's neccessary to put more audio controls to the input modules. Normally audio routing and levels are set before going live. For small adjustments it's fine to open the audio mixing part in vMix. The saved space will also be lost because you will have the audio input modules in full size like video input modules.
Speaker icon has to be there as Martin described (mute all buses).
Color in grey and green is fine for me. Some real audio mixers do it the same way (Soundcraft Compact/Expression). Going to red could be confusing because you're also dealing with video and there red normally means "live".

Maybe it would be a good idea to just test Martin's version and see if the workflow is fine or should be refined. Can't wait for the next preview version... because I have some days off work and time to play around :-)
richardgatarski  
#46 Posted : Wednesday, June 18, 2014 7:48:00 AM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Thanks Martin, with that clarification I think I did understand you the first time.

cloudmediagrouo wrote:
From a visual standpoint, it would be nice to have the mute button be colored red like most audio mixers "mute" button.

And if "Audio" on input modules is the same as the speaker icons in the mixer, then they should both be icons. Would then green speaker icon for unmuted, and red speaker icon for muted be good?

ClementN wrote:
I think those buttons (MAB) should be present both within the main input modules ( on the left ) and within the audio mixer area (on the right) because, when we want to quickly check the status of a module or change something (mute-unmute) it is easier to go to the main module window on the left as it is easier to visually identify it. Also, probably, the "Follow" button should be there

I agree, but the input modules are getting crowded...
In any case, with the new bus system the single "Audio" button on the input module is somewhat misleading, as it might be green (indicating audio), even though its corresponding mixing module might send to none or not all buses.
ClementN  
#47 Posted : Wednesday, June 18, 2014 2:31:49 PM(UTC)
ClementN

Romania

ovinas wrote:
Normally audio routing and levels are set before going live. For small adjustments it's fine to open the audio mixing part in vMix.

In our case we have quite a few scenarios (real life) when we change things during the live session and not only before start:

1) The main sound from mics has to be muted-unmuted several times per session ( before the start during the intros, during pauses, at the end during breaks).
We do that from the input module and not from the audio mixer.

The danger here is to forget to unmute the mics after the break. If you have the module "solo-ed" then you will see the sound level in the master and you think you have sound in live but you only have it in your headphones only :)

This is why the red button is a very good idea.

2) The sound from Skype has to be constantly adjusted ( we do Skype by desktop capture, including the audio capture).

So, we need to adjust the volume several times ( we do it from the vMix Mixer)
Also, we need to mute-unmute the skype sound many times between the skype-person speeches just to cut the noise (we do that using "Audio" button from the input module.

3) The sound from several RTMP input modules has to be constantly adjusted during a live.

For example, we had a special project with Discovery Channel having 8 cameras outdoor in the city capturing them into vMix trough RTMP modules. (
)
Imagine having to adjust the sound in live from the audio panel. You are never sure which is camera 3 and which is camera 5 there. You have to do that in split of a second.

If you have such control near the input module on the left, there you simply have the visual identification of the module so do not have to effectively read the name of the module each time just to be sure you check or adjust the right one.

4) In conferences when we capture ( desktop capture module) the slides of the speaker you are often taken by surprise by the speaker having a video with sound.
Then you have to react in a second and activate sound and adjust the level in a second.

It is always hard ( time consuming ) to find the right audio item in the vMix mixer and activate it.

5) During some shows, while a video input (video clip) is running, the speakers in front of the camera start to comment the images.
Then you have to do the following steps in a split of a second: unmute their audio input from the mics ( previously muted) -> lower the volume of the video input -> increase the volume after their comment is finished

Once again, it is very hard to identify which audio item in the vMix mixer is the video clip running where you have to lower the volume from the video clip. You can do that only by visual identification in the input modules area.

ovinas wrote:
The saved space will also be lost because you will have the audio input modules in full size like video input modules.
Speaker icon has to be there as Martin described (mute all buses).

Just to be sure I was clear. I do not say that we have to move the same audio modules from the right to left area.

I wanted to say (maybe) it will be better to have audio controls on the input modules just like we have now the audio metering, Audio button and ( probably this is a better solution) just like we have the option to show there the playback speed for video ( having the option to show it or hide it).
ovinas  
#48 Posted : Wednesday, June 18, 2014 3:36:25 PM(UTC)
ovinas

Man

Was thanked: 57 time(s) in 49 post(s)
You should consider to do more of your audio on a real audio mixer. They are build for this, especially for quick and intuitive operation. vMix will never come close to this and that's not the purpose of it, I think...? Maybe Martin can jump in and comment on this concerning the plans for audio in vMix. How far should it go, where's the limit and so on...
richardgatarski  
#49 Posted : Wednesday, June 18, 2014 3:37:22 PM(UTC)
richardgatarski

My experience is that when there are multiple audio sources and multiple video/image sources (the latter is the point with vMix) audio must be mixed separately (by another person, or automatically) on an external mixer. And for the type of live productions we do, audio sources constantly change. It is impossible to set audio levels before going live without adjusting afterwards. In sum, for more than one, or maybe two audio sources, we take it outside the vision mixer (read vMix).

Of course, other vMix users make other types of productions, where audio can be set up beforehand and left as is. In that case you do not need a lot of controls on the Input modules. And you don't need an external mixer.

Typically we take the ready mixed audio output from the venue's house mixer, and insert our own five channel external mixer before we take the audio into vMix. Two channels for house audion, two for playouts from the PC. The reason for our own mixer is that the operator immediately and always can do necessary fine adjustments (when the house's sound engineer or auto mixer relax too much, happens all the time) with the left hand hand operate vMix with the right hand. No way we can do a good job mixing both audio and video via the mouse and a screen interface.

I trust ClementN when he says that they mix both audio and video in the same PC. But I am afraid that making each input a mini audio mixer will clutter the user interface. Most users of vMix would probably be overloaded with information and choices.

That's my five cents, looking forward to more views on the matter.
ClementN  
#50 Posted : Wednesday, June 18, 2014 3:49:05 PM(UTC)
ClementN

Romania

Just for clarification.

We do all the audio mixing on external mixers handled by a dedicated person.
But all my above examples are related to the internal mixing of modules that is not possible yet to mix them externally ( rtmp modules, video modules, desktop capture ).

If vMix will allow us to route them externally (per module) as Richard suggested then we'll be happy to migrate them externally too :)
As an intermediate solution I propose the web page control just to get the audio control outside the main window of vMix ..

Thank you,
thanks 1 user thanked ClementN for this useful post.
richardgatarski on 6/18/2014(UTC)
richardgatarski  
#51 Posted : Wednesday, June 18, 2014 4:01:11 PM(UTC)
richardgatarski

ClementN wrote:
Just for clarification.
We do all the audio mixing on external mixers handled by a dedicated person.
But all my above examples are related to the internal mixing of modules that is not possible yet to mix them externally ( rtmp modules, video modules, desktop capture ).

If vMix will allow us to route them externally (per module) as Richard suggested then we'll be happy to migrate them externally too :)
Thank you,

Aha! (for a while I thought you were Superman, or a game player star ;)

petraproductions  
#52 Posted : Wednesday, June 18, 2014 10:38:00 PM(UTC)
petraproductions

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Martin,

I'm on the road working right now so I haven't had time to test 13 but following this thread am I understanding that if you solo the channel on the vmix audio you get just that channel in the headset but it removes from the recording, streaming, etc?

Is this a limitation with software audio mixing? On hardware mixers when you solo the channel you get that channel audio only in the monitor headset but it doesn't eliminate the channel audio from the main mix.

Just looking for clarification before I work on audio workflow changes we will need to do or be aware of when we go 13. We do use external hardware mixers just for the fact controlling audio is much simpler and faster on a hardware mixer for us than with the vmix software.

Kirk
admin  
#53 Posted : Wednesday, June 18, 2014 10:55:24 PM(UTC)
admin

Man

petraproductions wrote:
Martin,

I'm on the road working right now so I haven't had time to test 13 but following this thread am I understanding that if you solo the channel on the vmix audio you get just that channel in the headset but it removes from the recording, streaming, etc?

Is this a limitation with software audio mixing? On hardware mixers when you solo the channel you get that channel audio only in the monitor headset but it doesn't eliminate the channel audio from the main mix.

Just looking for clarification before I work on audio workflow changes we will need to do or be aware of when we go 13. We do use external hardware mixers just for the fact controlling audio is much simpler and faster on a hardware mixer for us than with the vmix software.

Kirk

The recording/streaming audio is completely unaffected by the solo button. So no audio is removed or anything.
petraproductions  
#54 Posted : Wednesday, June 18, 2014 11:02:52 PM(UTC)
petraproductions

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
admin wrote:

The recording/streaming audio is completely unaffected by the solo button. So no audio is removed or anything.

Thanks Martin! I look forward to testing 13 when I get back.
admin  
#55 Posted : Thursday, June 19, 2014 2:40:31 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

Couple of notes on my work on the bus system:

1. I will set the Master output meter to always show what is going to the recording and stream, regardless of solo or bus selection.
This is to prevent the confusion Clement mentioned when soloing at the moment.

2. There will be a separate headphones volume dial underneath Master so you can monitor with different audio volume levels
than the Master.

3. I'm working on sub-channel selection for the audio outputs.
This will allow users to take advantage of the 3 stereo outputs on most computers that are currently being used for 5.1 surround sound.

So you could send the Master to L/R, Headphones to Center/Sub and Bus A to BackL/BackR
I need to do more testing to make sure there isn't any freq cutoff happening with the Sub output on the sound card. I suspect it won't, but we'll see.

thanks 1 user thanked admin for this useful post.
ClementN on 6/19/2014(UTC)
thecloudmediagroup  
#56 Posted : Thursday, June 19, 2014 3:16:30 AM(UTC)
thecloudmediagroup

Man
United States

richardgatarski wrote:
My experience is that when there are multiple audio sources and multiple video/image sources (the latter is the point with vMix) audio must be mixed separately (by another person, or automatically) on an external mixer. And for the type of live productions we do, audio sources constantly change. It is impossible to set audio levels before going live without adjusting afterwards. In sum, for more than one, or maybe two audio sources, we take it outside the vision mixer (read vMix).

Of course, other vMix users make other types of productions, where audio can be set up beforehand and left as is. In that case you do not need a lot of controls on the Input modules. And you don't need an external mixer.

Typically we take the ready mixed audio output from the venue's house mixer, and insert our own five channel external mixer before we take the audio into vMix. Two channels for house audion, two for playouts from the PC. The reason for our own mixer is that the operator immediately and always can do necessary fine adjustments (when the house's sound engineer or auto mixer relax too much, happens all the time) with the left hand hand operate vMix with the right hand. No way we can do a good job mixing both audio and video via the mouse and a screen interface.

I trust ClementN when he says that they mix both audio and video in the same PC. But I am afraid that making each input a mini audio mixer will clutter the user interface. Most users of vMix would probably be overloaded with information and choices.

That's my five cents, looking forward to more views on the matter.

I definitely agree with you Richard. I believe routing within the program should be limited in complexity and in depth enough to accommodate for a small handful of scenarios where a basic bus system is used with an external mixer or target feed.

I mentioned this previously but I believe a minimalist approach is important to take. There is a point where complicated broadcasting setups can no longer be run by a single person a would require a few additional people for it to function properly. This is why, even in smaller broadcast setups, that the broadcast would have one person working each position. (audio, switching, playback, ect.) Expecting one vMix operator to do the job of 2 or 3 people in a production may not be the wisest choice in a broadcast setting. I believe in general, that it is important to look at the function of vMix through the scope of a single operator position. To add more complexity and customization may end up forcing the operator to juggle too many balls at once during a broadcast. The solution may not always be the addition of features but the restructure of the broadcast's workflow.

Excited to see how the engine turns out!

ClementN  
#57 Posted : Thursday, June 19, 2014 3:37:11 AM(UTC)
ClementN

Romania

So, it seems we all agree that:

1) vMix is not an audio mixer and it should not be turned into one
2) One should organize things to use external audio mixer (or maybe a midi hardware interface) and a dedicated person for the sound
3) As much as possible, vMix should facilitate routing out audio

Martin, in order to be able to truly have a dedicated person for sound, what is your opinion about web controls for audio ?

thecloudmediagroup  
#58 Posted : Thursday, June 19, 2014 4:09:06 AM(UTC)
thecloudmediagroup

Man
United States

One thing I just noticed for the first time was the range of the audio input. With the fader about 3 notches from the bottom, the volume is about -14 db from unity. Mainly working in a Pro Tools background, that seems like an odd scale to set for the audio fader. Was there a specific application or intention for the scale of the audio fader level? Part of an idea I have attached below will illustrate the difference in fader scales. Just an observation.

It's late so this might be a terrible idea, but It would almost be nice to eliminate the audio panel essentially altogether and simply have a master fader at the very right of the video inputs and attach a meter and a fader to each input. I know its important to not clog up the input but it might be a nice separation between inputs and make quick mixing and locating of audio a bit easier. I created this little mock up as an idea.

Thoughts?

UserPostedImage
admin  
#59 Posted : Thursday, June 19, 2014 4:22:32 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

Each square in the audio meter represents 2db.
0 = 0db
1 = -2db
2 = -4db
3 = -6db
4 = -8db
5 = -10db
6 = -12db
7 = -14db
8 = -16db
9 = -18db
10 = -20db
11 = -22db
12 = -24db
13 = -26db
14 = -28db
15 = -30db
16 = -32db
17 = -34db
18 = -36db
19 = -38db
20 = -40db
21 = -42db
22 = -44db
23 = -46db

Out of approximately 96db dynamic range
admin  
#60 Posted : Thursday, June 19, 2014 4:24:27 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

UserPostedImage

Here is an updated screenshot of the audio mixer with busses.
I think this strikes a good balance between functionality and screen real estate.

Thoughts?
thanks 2 users thanked admin for this useful post.
ClementN on 6/19/2014(UTC), peterphelan on 6/20/2014(UTC)