logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

4 Pages«<234
NDI
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
kane  
#61 Posted : Friday, September 30, 2016 10:00:18 AM(UTC)
kane

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 143 time(s) in 94 post(s)
Those units at only USB2 and for that price, I'd go with the Magewell units which cost the same but support USB3 which allows full resolution uncompressed HD (up to 1080p/60). AJA also makes similar units as well.
http://www.magewell.com/usb-capture-family
https://www.aja.com/products/u-tap

You can also use these units with NDI Connect which offers a bit nicer UI than VLC player.
http://newtek.com/ndi/applications.html

Kane Peterson
NewTek
RichShumaker  
#62 Posted : Wednesday, June 21, 2017 12:38:37 AM(UTC)
RichShumaker

United States

Was thanked: 28 time(s) in 23 post(s)
diegopvp wrote:
Hi, there are some USB adapters for PC laptops or desktops that can handle HDMI or SDI inputs up to 1080p and can be used as a source for VLC Player. Then you can install Newtek NDI Tools (free download) in the same computer and using the free Newtek NDI VLC plugin you can display the HDMI or SDI input signal and make it available as NDI source for VMix or any other NDI capable switcher application. In the USA you can get the USB adapters from here: https://store.techexport...ollections/e-mediavision . Feel free to ask if anyone need further information. Thanks.

I know this is an old thread.
From researching and real world usage the Raspberry Pi has a Blob in the GPU which will limit the NDI implementation at the GPU level of the Pi.
It would be smashing if somehow like MPEG-2, NDI could be unlocked on the RasPi.
Highly doubtful that is possible as the GPU was created before NDI was made and you can't 'upgrade' the GPU blob as far as I know.
Remember they are just unlocking code that already exists if you buy an MPEG-2 or VC-1 license key for your Pi.

The question becomes does the VLC NDI implementation work on Linux?
If that is a yes the question becomes can a Raspberry Pi 3 quad core ARM CPU not GPU do the job of encoding NDI?

The Pi Ethernet Network out is only 100mbs not 1gbs so it might not be fast enough anyway.
Also from reading up on all of this NDI stuff the Linux stuff is OUT ONLY meaning you can't send to the Pi.
Which would be a cool way to stream as the latency is so low and the digital duplication is perfect after the first encode.

You can stream to the Pi so NDI is not needed. I just like the idea of near real time sync across multiple screens.
I have not streamed from vMix to a Raspberry Pi yet but I know you could easily do that so I need to set that up.
I just put that on the big list of stuff to try.
I usually use my Pi Cameras for ingest only and would love to bump to NDI quality as mine is much closer to SDI quality.

Thanks for checking out this post.
If you have any more details on Raspberry Pi NDI or ARM NDI I would love to hear from you.
Have an amazing and awesome day.

Rich Shumaker
livepad  
#63 Posted : Wednesday, June 21, 2017 6:21:57 AM(UTC)
livepad

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 32 post(s)
Rich.

We have prototyped a Camera app for Raspberry PI 3 which uses the RPi Camera Module and outputs NDI.

It works.

However, the Cortex A53 CPU doesn't really have enough grunt to do 1080 at 25/30 fps. I believe we managed standard Def OK, and possibly 720p30 but its really pushing the CPU *.
NDI encoding doesn't use the GPU on any platform.
* we didn't try overclocking the PI.

You can add a Gigabit ethernet port to the Pi's USB2 port and it gets you over 100mbit, but that is not the bottleneck.

The NDI encoding Implementation on ARM is much less optimised than the X86 implementation so although the ARM Cortex A53 is a pretty nippy chip, it's not performing in proportion with a low end X86 because the NDI encoding technique is different and less efficient.

Top end iPhones use an Apple ARM chip which is more powerful than the most common ARM chips in non-apple products, and this variant does have the grunt to do 1080 - this proves its possible.

In the future, we will either see faster ARM chips generally available, or perhaps the NDI encoder will be optimised for ARM. Either of this 2 will likely improve the situation with ARM.
Of course we are also waiting for an NDI decoder for ARM.

If you want cheap HD NDI encoding try using a Z83 type mini PC rather than the PI.

Share your results.

http://sienna.tv/ndi

RichShumaker wrote:
diegopvp wrote:
Hi, there are some USB adapters for PC laptops or desktops that can handle HDMI or SDI inputs up to 1080p and can be used as a source for VLC Player. Then you can install Newtek NDI Tools (free download) in the same computer and using the free Newtek NDI VLC plugin you can display the HDMI or SDI input signal and make it available as NDI source for VMix or any other NDI capable switcher application. In the USA you can get the USB adapters from here: https://store.techexport...ollections/e-mediavision . Feel free to ask if anyone need further information. Thanks.

From researching and real world usage the Raspberry Pi has a Blob in the GPU which will limit the NDI implementation at the GPU level of the Pi.
It would be smashing if somehow like MPEG-2, NDI could be unlocked on the RasPi.
Highly doubtful that is possible as the GPU was created before NDI was made and you can't 'upgrade' the GPU blob as far as I know.
Remember they are just unlocking code that already exists if you buy an MPEG-2 or VC-1 license key for your Pi.

If that is a yes the question becomes can a Raspberry Pi 3 quad core ARM CPU not GPU do the job of encoding NDI?

The Pi Ethernet Network out is only 100mbs not 1gbs so it might not be fast enough anyway.
Also from reading up on all of this NDI stuff the Linux stuff is OUT ONLY meaning you can't send to the Pi.
Which would be a cool way to stream as the latency is so low and the digital duplication is perfect after the first encode.

You can stream to the Pi so NDI is not needed. I just like the idea of near real time sync across multiple screens.
I have not streamed from vMix to a Raspberry Pi yet but I know you could easily do that so I need to set that up.
I usually use my Pi Cameras for ingest only and would love to bump to NDI quality as mine is much closer to SDI quality.

If you have any more details on Raspberry Pi NDI or ARM NDI I would love to hear from you.

Rich Shumaker
thanks 1 user thanked livepad for this useful post.
mjgraves on 6/21/2017(UTC)
DWAM  
#64 Posted : Friday, June 23, 2017 11:49:35 AM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Was thanked: 794 time(s) in 589 post(s)
Hi Mark

did you consider doing tests with the Asus Tinker Board, which seems to be a more powerful device than the RPI?

It comes with a quad-core 1.8GHz Cortex A-17 Rockchip RK3288 Processor
The GPU is a quad-core ARM Mali-T760 MP4 with a 600MHz frequency
Comes with LPDDR3 RAM of 2GB with dual channel support
Bluetooth 4.0 enabled and built-in WiFi compatible with the latest WiFi standard 802.11 b/g/n
The HDMI 2.0 port provides 4K output
and a native gigabit network interface...

for £58!

https://www.amazon.co.uk...nker-Board/dp/B01N35PQ9U

Guillaume

Stefan  
#65 Posted : Tuesday, June 27, 2017 11:19:39 AM(UTC)
Stefan

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
livepad wrote:
Rich.

We have prototyped a Camera app for Raspberry PI 3 which uses the RPi Camera Module and outputs NDI.

It works.

However, the Cortex A53 CPU doesn't really have enough grunt to do 1080 at 25/30 fps. I believe we managed standard Def OK, and possibly 720p30 but its really pushing the CPU *.
NDI encoding doesn't use the GPU on any platform.
* we didn't try overclocking the PI.

You can add a Gigabit ethernet port to the Pi's USB2 port and it gets you over 100mbit, but that is not the bottleneck.

The NDI encoding Implementation on ARM is much less optimised than the X86 implementation so although the ARM Cortex A53 is a pretty nippy chip, it's not performing in proportion with a low end X86 because the NDI encoding technique is different and less efficient.

Top end iPhones use an Apple ARM chip which is more powerful than the most common ARM chips in non-apple products, and this variant does have the grunt to do 1080 - this proves its possible.

In the future, we will either see faster ARM chips generally available, or perhaps the NDI encoder will be optimised for ARM. Either of this 2 will likely improve the situation with ARM.
Of course we are also waiting for an NDI decoder for ARM.

If you want cheap HD NDI encoding try using a Z83 type mini PC rather than the PI.

Share your results.

http://sienna.tv/ndi

RichShumaker wrote:
diegopvp wrote:

Rich Shumaker

I am looking for a Raspberry Pi camera to NDI solution. Are you willing to share your camera app so I can do some testing? I'm not that familiar with C++.

Thanks!
livepad  
#66 Posted : Wednesday, June 28, 2017 10:34:59 AM(UTC)
livepad

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 32 post(s)
DWAM wrote:
Hi Mark

did you consider doing tests with the Asus Tinker Board, which seems to be a more powerful device than the RPI?

It comes with a quad-core 1.8GHz Cortex A-17 Rockchip RK3288 Processor
The GPU is a quad-core ARM Mali-T760 MP4 with a 600MHz frequency
Comes with LPDDR3 RAM of 2GB with dual channel support
Bluetooth 4.0 enabled and built-in WiFi compatible with the latest WiFi standard 802.11 b/g/n
The HDMI 2.0 port provides 4K output
and a native gigabit network interface...

for £58!

https://www.amazon.co.uk...nker-Board/dp/B01N35PQ9U

Guillaume

The Tinkerboard is a 32-bit ARM processor compared to the Pi3's 64-bit, although its 1.8Ghz vs 1.2GHz so its not clear if there would be real benefit in pure CPU power which is all we are really interested in for this application.
GPU and other stuff is not relevant to NDI encoding. Maybe we will give it a try.

I have a feeling we are still going to be a way off 1080p on Arm chips like this until we see some optimisation of the NDI encoder for ARM.
We are about to start performance testing with low-end X86 family chips in mini pcs which I expect to be working much better.

thanks 1 user thanked livepad for this useful post.
DWAM on 6/28/2017(UTC)