logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Duff TV  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, August 20, 2014 2:08:22 AM(UTC)
Duff TV

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Hi there

I am Martin from Tasmania Australia and from reading your posts it looks like we share the same "eye" for fine detail and also may do similar sort of work.

Hoping you can give me some tips on good recording settings.

I film Aussie Rules in Hobart and make a fulltime living out of filming kids sport.

Plan with VMIx is to do almost everything live which in the long run will save heaps of time, headspace and make me more money!

Similar to your post I am finding that VMIX reording are a bit washed out.

I will try changing the setting on my GTX660 graphics card as you said it improved things.

One issue I have might be because my Canon XF300 camera has been set to the lowest quality rate which is 1440X1080i (25MBS) In VMIX I have had the recording side of things set to 720P and recording at 25 (MBPER SEC). My computer is a quad core but seems to struggle with anything doing AVI's and say 32 MEG per sec.

I am assuming that anytime you have to record in a different format than what is coming from the camera then the computer has to work harder. BUT should this downgrade the quality?

Can someone please tell me the best record settings. Frustratingly I have saved these as JEPGS using snipping tool but cant seem to upload here.

thanks

admin  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, August 20, 2014 5:17:54 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4135 time(s) in 1487 post(s)
Hi Martin,

Firstly, it would be best to resolve the graphics card issues first as the 660 is recommended for the best results in vMix.
Try the following:

1. Make sure latest drivers are installed from nvidia.com
2. Make sure windows is up to date. If you are using Windows 7, make sure it is in aero mode.
3. Ensure no displays are connected to the motherboard ports (if available) and are only connected to the ports on the back of the GeForce.

One everything looks ok there, the next step is to ensure the best settings in vMix.

1. The camera looks like it is 50i, in which case 25p should be what you set in vMix settings and in the recording settings.
2. MP4 requires a lot of CPU usage, so when recording, check the CPU info at the bottom of vMix, if it is over 60% the cpu may be too slow.
3. How is the camera connected to the computer? If it is using a blackmagic card you can use AVI with Decklink MJPEG for best recording results.

What CPU is in the system?

Regards,

Martin
vMix