logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
vedranius  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, November 5, 2013 9:57:01 PM(UTC)
vedranius

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi, I know that the subject of this topic looks aggressive, but let me say something about why I think vMix or any other software like this should be available for Linux.

First of all, there's no video mixing software that actually works on Linux, and does the job as vMix actually do.
Making an streaming PC with Linux is making a stable streaming! With this we would get powerful, stable, and "cheap" live streaming PCs.
If vMix gets into a world of Linux, and starts producing it for it, this would make a huge change in live streaming world, as for now the only thing which keeps us on Windows and/or OSx is the software that is only for these platforms.
I'm using 4 Linux machines almost every day, and I'd like to do rest of the job on them, and not changing to Windows.
Paying license for Windows every time when new Windows comes out for every streaming PC makes this even harder!
Why not pay for software that I actually use, and I get money for using it!?

As for example, Lightworks software for video editing is a one way for video editors to completely move from Mac or PC to Linux, Lightworks is a great piece of software which also as vMix has a free version.

So it's possible!

I hope that vMix company will start thinking in this way, making Linux world stronger with professional video mixer!

MrFreeze  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, November 5, 2013 10:11:50 PM(UTC)
MrFreeze

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
got bad news for you mate, I don't think that's going to happen.

they have told Mac uses that they won't be supporting Mac because vmix uses Windows .net api (I think that's right anyway).

freeze

vedranius wrote:
Hi, I know that the subject of this topic looks aggressive, but let me say something about why I think vMix or any other software like this should be available for Linux.

First of all, there's no video mixing software that actually works on Linux, and does the job as vMix actually do.
Making an streaming PC with Linux is making a stable streaming! With this we would get powerful, stable, and "cheap" live streaming PCs.
If vMix gets into a world of Linux, and starts producing it for it, this would make a huge change in live streaming world, as for now the only thing which keeps us on Windows and/or OSx is the software that is only for these platforms.
I'm using 4 Linux machines almost every day, and I'd like to do rest of the job on them, and not changing to Windows.
Paying license for Windows every time when new Windows comes out for every streaming PC makes this even harder!
Why not pay for software that I actually use, and I get money for using it!?

As for example, Lightworks software for video editing is a one way for video editors to completely move from Mac or PC to Linux, Lightworks is a great piece of software which also as vMix has a free version.

So it's possible!

I hope that vMix company will start thinking in this way, making Linux world stronger with professional video mixer!

thanks 1 user thanked MrFreeze for this useful post.
GeorgeR on 11/21/2015(UTC)
admin  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, November 5, 2013 10:16:32 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4145 time(s) in 1490 post(s)
Hi,

Sadly there are quite a few components missing from Linux that would be crucial to vMix.
Thus this would mean a huge amount of extra development just to implement those basic multimedia components.
vMix also can't use any of the open source "GPL" libraries on the platform due to licensing and patent issues.

The key thing is Direct3D achieves better performance and stability under Windows than the equivalent OpenGL under Linux.
This is due to the fact that most games run on Windows and driver developers spend a lot more time working on windows drivers then they do on Linux.

The benefits of Windows in this case far outweigh any small cost benefit of using a free OS.

Regards,

Martin
vMix
thanks 3 users thanked admin for this useful post.
OpenROADer on 11/7/2013(UTC), GeorgeR on 11/21/2015(UTC), mjgraves on 5/3/2018(UTC)
admin  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, November 5, 2013 10:25:20 PM(UTC)
admin

Man

MrFreeze wrote:
because vmix uses Windows .net api

To clarify, .NET is available on other platforms via Mono so that isn't the issue.
(In fact the desktop capture program for OSX is built on .NET)

The key thing is Windows provides a lot of out of the box multimedia components that are crucial to many features in vMix.
The amount of work involved in making cross platform versions of many of these is non-trivial.

Also, OpenGL in its current state still has some limitations in relation to professional video processing.
(In particular, it's lack of true support for YUV formats)

Regards,

Martin
vMix
vedranius  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, November 5, 2013 11:01:56 PM(UTC)
vedranius

admin wrote:
Hi,

Sadly there are quite a few components missing from Linux that would be crucial to vMix.
Thus this would mean a huge amount of extra development just to implement those basic multimedia components.
vMix also can't use any of the open source "GPL" libraries on the platform due to licensing and patent issues.

The key thing is Direct3D achieves better performance and stability under Windows than the equivalent OpenGL under Linux.
This is due to the fact that most games run on Windows and driver developers spend a lot more time working on windows drivers then they do on Linux.

The benefits of Windows in this case far outweigh any small cost benefit of using a free OS.

Regards,

Martin
vMix

Yes, I get this, but making a new software from scratch would be a solution too, tho expensive...
Not sure how software development actually goes, but having a team that would "translate" the code for Linux would be a way to go... Maybe...

Also you said OpenGL is a problem, as AMD announced Mantle, what do you think about it as crossplatform solution, tho its too early to talk about it till we get more information about it...

Still, I'd like to see any video mixing software on Linux, which for start doesnt need to have all features as vMix today has, but starting from multiple inputs and switching them, and ofcourse live streaming that content online would make a huge change...

Thats all :)

doyousee.me  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, November 13, 2013 4:56:30 AM(UTC)
doyousee.me

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 10 post(s)
what's the problem in using windows?

a license is less than 100 euros for win8, which should be a fraction of what you spend on a platform to create smooth looking video imho.

M@ik

vedranius  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, November 13, 2013 6:15:16 AM(UTC)
vedranius

doyousee.me wrote:
what's the problem in using windows?

a license is less than 100 euros for win8, which should be a fraction of what you spend on a platform to create smooth looking video imho.

M@ik

The problem is that it isnt free and open source. Windows comes from M$, and here were trying to get rid of it as more as we can.
Linux is future, slowingly coming to every PC, but its just about time to become a main OS, not just about price, but about ability of use, editing your software, or should I say FLOSS...
100€ isnt problem but problem is when you have 100 PCs, and thats 100*100=10000€ and thats only for licence, and what about PCs, hardware?
More developers, and big companies need to realize a usage of Linux, and why would someone start using their product if it also works on Linux :)

As for example, one of the ideas, I want educate 20 students how to work in vMix, for that I would need 21 PC with licenced Windows, and vMix with HD licence, and yes, here, that amount of money is alot to spend. If only I could pay any amount for vMix licence for Linux, and get rid of Win... :)
Hehe
admin  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, November 13, 2013 11:25:39 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

Well, due to the extra work involved vMix would cost $200 or so more anyway, so porting to linux
could not be justified on cost alone.

Regards,

Martin
vMix
zmedia  
#9 Posted : Saturday, November 21, 2015 2:22:13 PM(UTC)
zmedia

Linux would be a nice consideration for mission-critical stability.

In fact, a vMix distro would be really quite nice (even if it only supported a small range of hardware). Part of the reason being driver stability in Windows. Windows has generally been very stable lately, though I'm wary of the forced updates in Windows 10. I think that a well-maintained Linux vMix distro could complement the already built Windows programs rather well, and I know I would pay double to triple the cost of the vMix Pro license for the fewer variables and more stability-based peace of mind that a purpose-built Linux operating system could provide. Something to consider, though I understand the reasoning as to why this might not be feasible.
mashynewie2  
#10 Posted : Sunday, November 22, 2015 5:53:54 AM(UTC)
mashynewie2

Was thanked: 44 time(s) in 33 post(s)
You say Linux is more stable and for mission critical.

But Windows 10 NEVER crashes on me? So "stability" isn't even a valid reason for the extra time and effort.

I'd rather Martin spends the time adding features than port it to another operating system for no benefit at all.
thanks 2 users thanked mashynewie2 for this useful post.
al4video on 12/15/2016(UTC), seb666 on 5/2/2018(UTC)
jhebbel  
#11 Posted : Sunday, November 22, 2015 9:24:10 AM(UTC)
jhebbel

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 14 post(s)
I too would rather the manpower went to continuing to develop what is already on Windows. I see no benefit of a Linux port, only drawbacks.
Speegs  
#12 Posted : Sunday, November 22, 2015 9:03:10 PM(UTC)
Speegs

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 58 post(s)
jhebbel wrote:
I too would rather the manpower went to continuing to develop what is already on Windows. I see no benefit of a Linux port, only drawbacks.

+1 (BTW: I love linux, but maybe it's not the right tool for VMix, perfect tool for streaming servers)
Ittaidv  
#13 Posted : Sunday, September 25, 2016 8:24:24 AM(UTC)
Ittaidv

Man
Belgium

Was thanked: 91 time(s) in 75 post(s)
Old topic, but after accidently downloading the anniversary update and having huge trouble on all machines (it installed on all 6 pc's over the network), I see a huge benefit in vmix for linux.

I know vmix relies on directshow, but relying on windows for our business makes less and less sense to me..
Mathijs  
#14 Posted : Sunday, September 25, 2016 10:53:27 AM(UTC)
Mathijs

Was thanked: 81 time(s) in 72 post(s)
Because of technical reasons, I do not see this happening. You can also revert to windows 7 on your machines to resolve these things fast.

Anniversary update also screwed me by turning fast boot back on, while I disabled it before. We work with these bays in our setup:
UserPostedImage

So before the job the SSD I used was still in the editing machine with other content on it. I moved that away to a HDD and formatted the SSD.
Then I turned the system off, got the ssd out of it and did the recording on it the next day.
Everything went fine and I did replay the recording at the location before I turned everything off, broke down and packed everything and took the SSD out of the bay to render the contents the next day.
Next day I did insert the SSD into the editing machine and switched it on, something I have done hundreds of times without trouble, but now fastboot was switched back on...
So when I got into windows, I fired up Premiere, made a new project on the same SSD, wanted to import the video and did see it was not there. Because of fastboot, windows loaded the contents of the SSD from the fastboot data without looking at the disk itself, so it appeared empty. When I wrote the premiere project to it, it wrote it's fastboot patition table to it, destroying my video file.
I immediately realised what happened, turned the system off and did connect the SSD to a USB drive dock to disable trim, made an image and tried to get my file back from that.
I could not get it back, even a professional data recovery company did not get it back. So I was screwed. And my backup recording which I always make? Well my backup recorder would not work at that job and the client had some challenge getting one speaker in from a remote location, so I decided to put my time into that and put the recorder back in it's case as I never needed it before anyway... I did look at the recorder days afterwards and it seems to have died, so no extra blame for me that way, other than that I could have copied the file to another disk before packing up, etc...

So lesson learned, bad luck never comes one way but most of the time it adds up. I can think up multiple "if's" that would have changed the scenario, but as I cannot get back in time that won't change anything. This won't happen to me again though, for the next coming years. I am going to buy myself a new backup recorder which hopefully does not die on the day I need it the first time ever, and I am even considering getting myself a backup-backup recorder. ;)

I am a little amazed how fast data is gone on a SSD though. On a platter I would for sure have recovered.
WayneH  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, December 14, 2016 6:06:42 PM(UTC)
WayneH

admin wrote:
MrFreeze wrote:
because vmix uses Windows .net api

To clarify, .NET is available on other platforms via Mono so that isn't the issue.
(In fact the desktop capture program for OSX is built on .NET)

The key thing is Windows provides a lot of out of the box multimedia components that are crucial to many features in vMix.
The amount of work involved in making cross platform versions of many of these is non-trivial.

Also, OpenGL in its current state still has some limitations in relation to professional video processing.
(In particular, it's lack of true support for YUV formats)

Regards,

Martin
vMix

I realize this is an old post. I wanted to add that video drivers under Linux have improved significantly over the last few years. Most OpenGL games under Linux have very similar performance when the developers actually spend the time to develop good code. That being said I definitely hear developers complain about some things being easier to do in Direct3D. I'm not completely sure what you mean by true YUV support, could you clarify what limitations you are referring to?

I would argue that Vulkan is the way forward for any graphics intensive applications anyway. Which is going to be a first class citizen on every major computing platform. That includes Windows, Linux, Mac, iOS, and Android. Migrating vMix to Vulkan seems like it would be ideal regardless of which platforms you support. Doing so of course would reduce your reliance on Direct3D if not eliminate it all together. At which point it would be much easier to go cross-platform should you desire.

More and more developers are realizing they do not want vendor lock-in. Especially when they are designing their own hardware for turnkey solutions. Obviously there is the licensing cost associated including Windows on your turnkey hardware. If you can remove that requirement, there is extra profit to be had. vMix is well known for the great hardware support, avoiding any type of vender lock-in. A lot of these devices also have Linux and Mac drivers/APIs. I strongly believe if vMix were to go cross-platform it would give you a real competitive edge. Even Newtek saw the need to provide cross platform APIs for NDI.

OBS-Studio is close to receiving native NDI support, and a couple 3rd-party plugins already exist. I'm not going to claim OBS Studio to be very competitive with vMix at this point, as it is definitely lacking in a few areas. But they do have a lot of the base functionality there. It proves that Linux is a capable platform. We are currently using OBS under Linux. We are on the fence about switching to vMix. We don't mind the licensing costs, we already have Lightworks Pro subscriptions. It would break our current workflow. Going back to Windows feels like a step in the wrong direction. We have been very happy with the performance of professional video tools we currently use under Linux.

I am actively involved in the Linux community. I have personally seen substantial growth in the user-base, especially among developers. Many Mac OS developers are moving to Linux for their day to day needs. These are developers working on either cross-platform desktop applications or server side applications. Even Microsoft has started to accept the inevitable. They are adopting Linux in many areas and innovating in unprecedented ways. Windows 10 now has the option to add a Linux sub-system based on Ubuntu. Why would Microsoft do that? One reason, they are trying to stay relevant. They can no longer ignore the thorn in their side. They have chosen to accept the fact that the industry wants Linux. I would not be surprised to see a day when Microsoft decides to abandon the NT kernel in favor of Linux, and Windows as we know it today is nothing more than a desktop environment and a compatibility layer running on top of the Linux kernel.
Maximus  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, December 14, 2016 6:58:58 PM(UTC)
Maximus

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 24 post(s)
I have been using vMix on Windows for years, laptops to desktops with never a problem. When I look at user analytics, 2 things standout, Windows and Chrome, not Mac or Safari. vMix is a successful software for the Windows Platform, and resources for Programming and Testing on other platforms are limited. I hope Martin never attempts a Port as I would have my doubts about the long term stability, development and direct support now available from Martin for vMix.

I believe Wirecast is available for Mac so you have a choice. Similarly If I want Final Cut, I need accept I would need a Mac. I have had zero issues with Windows over the years and I stream several times a week for a client who expects 100% reliability. I am not bashing Macs or Unix. I cut my teeth on CLI Unix. For a small Dev Team however it is always best to pick a Platform and stick with so you can exploit it to the Max.

I once asked Teradek why they software apps are more geared to Macs/IOS. The answer was simple, our Devs work in Mac/IOS. So as much as I would love Live:Air for Windows, it ain't happening, so I bought an Ipad so I could use that app.

So the solution is simple

Cheers
WayneH  
#17 Posted : Wednesday, December 14, 2016 11:51:06 PM(UTC)
WayneH

Maximus wrote:
I have had zero issues with Windows over the years

I find that very hard to believe. I work in IT and have yet to run into a single Windows box that had no performance issues after at least a year or two. There is a reason I use Linux exclusively on my personal computers. After dealing with computer problems all day I don't want to fight my own systems when I get home. I just want them to work. You would not believe the amount of service calls I get from some Windows customers. We end up converting about half of those customers to Linux because they are fed up. Support calls from our Windows users are consistently 5x that of our Linux and Mac users combined, and we have about a 40/40/20 split among our clients (Windows/Linux/Mac). On sites we have multiple platforms deployed, the Linux box is almost never the one they are calling about.

Maximus wrote:

it is always best to pick a Platform and stick with so you can exploit it to the Max.

Well Windows is deffinetly the best platform if you want to see your system exploited. I'd rather not deal with the malware, but that's me. (sorry couldn't help myself).

Maximus wrote:

Yup...
A. Don't use the software and let the developer know you are interested if they are willing to support your platform down the road.
B. Subject yourself to Windows and hope the benefits outweigh the negatives.

al4video  
#18 Posted : Thursday, December 15, 2016 3:21:48 AM(UTC)
al4video

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
WayneH wrote:
Maximus wrote:
I have had zero issues with Windows over the years

I find that very hard to believe. I work in IT and have yet to run into a single Windows box that had no performance issues after at least a year or two. There is a reason I use Linux exclusively on my personal computers. After dealing with computer problems all day I don't want to fight my own systems when I get home. I just want them to work. You would not believe the amount of service calls I get from some Windows customers. We end up converting about half of those customers to Linux because they are fed up. Support calls from our Windows users are consistently 5x that of our Linux and Mac users combined, and we have about a 40/40/20 split among our clients (Windows/Linux/Mac). On sites we have multiple platforms deployed, the Linux box is almost never the one they are calling about.

Maximus wrote:

it is always best to pick a Platform and stick with so you can exploit it to the Max.

Well Windows is deffinetly the best platform if you want to see your system exploited. I'd rather not deal with the malware, but that's me. (sorry couldn't help myself).

Maximus wrote:

Yup...
A. Don't use the software and let the developer know you are interested if they are willing to support your platform down the road.
B. Subject yourself to Windows and hope the benefits outweigh the negatives.

If you are so happy with Linux why are you here complaining about Windows. That really gets old. I have several 100% stable windows systems at all times that I build myself. And the malware argument is bogus as well. Your support calls from windows are 5 times higher because there's millions upon millions more users on Windows. Besides that people with Windows computers are actually doing something on them rather than waiting for software to be ported. (Sorry couldn't help myself).
WayneH  
#19 Posted : Thursday, December 15, 2016 2:53:42 PM(UTC)
WayneH

al4video wrote:

If you are so happy with Linux why are you here complaining about Windows. That really gets old. I have several 100% stable windows systems at all times that I build myself. And the malware argument is bogus as well. Your support calls from windows are 5 times higher because there's millions upon millions more users on Windows. Besides that people with Windows computers are actually doing something on them rather than waiting for software to be ported. (Sorry couldn't help myself).

I didn't come here to complain about windows. I came here to show my support for a Linux version. Not sure why you are so butt hurt about that. The malware argument is not bogus. There is much more malware in existence for Windows than all other platforms combined, that is fact.

You obviously didn't read my comments properly as I have already stated we have many more Linux and Mac clients (60%) than we do Windows, yet we still get 5x the amount of trouble calls for Windows boxes. Windows last year at this time was over 70% of our business, we have seen a very rapid decline. Our customer retention is very good. We are not losing those customers they are just deciding to upgrade to Linux and Mac. On top of that Linux systems are so much easier for us to maintain, that we started offering a 20% discount last month for customers switching to Linux. That has brought a slight up-tick in the amount of conversions. But does not account for the massive Windows decline over the last 10-11 months.

What we have found is people are just fed up with Windows. All our techs carry a few SSDs with Linux pre-loaded as well as a couple Windows drives that have been sysprep'd. About 80% of the customers we offer the option of switching to Linux take us up on it, and never look back. Less 5% of the users we convert decide to go back. The other 15% decide outright they want to stick with what they know. That is because take the time to learn about the customer's needs. If we feel Linux isn't a good option for them right now we don't recommend it and move on with our lives. We will gladly service a Windows box at our standard rate. We also know we'll be back within a year to service it again. Windows has always been very profitable for us.

We have a lot of customers still on Ubuntu 12.04 since we started supporting Linux in 2012 that have never had to call about that machine. In fact we a getting ready to send a notice out tho those customers support for 12.04 runs out Apr-2017 and they need to upgrade. We have never had a Windows install last that long. Sure we had customers using XP up until end of support. But the installation dates on those machines vary rarely exceeded 2 years. In fact we still have a handful of customers that absolutely refuse to get rid of those machines. We still service them, but each machine is isolated on the network and very heavily fire-walled if connected to a network at all. We finally converted our last DOS client this year. Guess where they went... Linux.

I nor any other Linux users are "waiting for software". Every single one of our Linux clients have all the tools they need. If they didn't, they wouldn't be using Linux. Don't confuse my interest in vMix as "Linux users have no options". We have plenty options, and we use them. I also wouldn't mind seeing Photoshop, Premiere, or even Microsoft Office come to Linux. But doesn't mean I can't get my work done. Krita, Lightworks, and LibreOffice do everything I need, and there are many more options out there.
Maximus  
#20 Posted : Thursday, December 15, 2016 3:55:55 PM(UTC)
Maximus

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 24 post(s)
Great. You have plenty of options, so you should have no challenges. VMix simply isn't one of them and unlikely to be in the near future.

The solutions is simple :-)

Maxi