logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
WayneH  
#21 Posted : Thursday, December 15, 2016 4:03:24 PM(UTC)
WayneH

Groups: Registered

Maximus wrote:
Great. You have plenty of options, so you should have no challenges. VMix simply isn't one of them and unlikely to be in the near future.

The solutions is simple :-)

Maxi

And I have no problem with that. It is Martin's decision. Doesn't mean I can't show my support for it. If the developer doesn't realize there is interest in their product for another platform, why would they ever think to support it? That is the only reason I'm here. I was not intending to start a debate on which OS is superior. Each has their pros & cons. But I'm not going to stand by while ridiculous claims are made.
al4video  
#22 Posted : Thursday, December 15, 2016 6:45:52 PM(UTC)
al4video

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
WayneH wrote:
al4video wrote:

If you are so happy with Linux why are you here complaining about Windows. That really gets old. I have several 100% stable windows systems at all times that I build myself. And the malware argument is bogus as well. Your support calls from windows are 5 times higher because there's millions upon millions more users on Windows. Besides that people with Windows computers are actually doing something on them rather than waiting for software to be ported. (Sorry couldn't help myself).

I didn't come here to complain about windows. I came here to show my support for a Linux version. Not sure why you are so butt hurt about that. The malware argument is not bogus. There is much more malware in existence for Windows than all other platforms combined, that is fact.

You obviously didn't read my comments properly as I have already stated we have many more Linux and Mac clients (60%) than we do Windows, yet we still get 5x the amount of trouble calls for Windows boxes. Windows last year at this time was over 70% of our business, we have seen a very rapid decline. Our customer retention is very good. We are not losing those customers they are just deciding to upgrade to Linux and Mac. On top of that Linux systems are so much easier for us to maintain, that we started offering a 20% discount last month for customers switching to Linux. That has brought a slight up-tick in the amount of conversions. But does not account for the massive Windows decline over the last 10-11 months.

What we have found is people are just fed up with Windows. All our techs carry a few SSDs with Linux pre-loaded as well as a couple Windows drives that have been sysprep'd. About 80% of the customers we offer the option of switching to Linux take us up on it, and never look back. Less 5% of the users we convert decide to go back. The other 15% decide outright they want to stick with what they know. That is because take the time to learn about the customer's needs. If we feel Linux isn't a good option for them right now we don't recommend it and move on with our lives. We will gladly service a Windows box at our standard rate. We also know we'll be back within a year to service it again. Windows has always been very profitable for us.

We have a lot of customers still on Ubuntu 12.04 since we started supporting Linux in 2012 that have never had to call about that machine. In fact we a getting ready to send a notice out tho those customers support for 12.04 runs out Apr-2017 and they need to upgrade. We have never had a Windows install last that long. Sure we had customers using XP up until end of support. But the installation dates on those machines vary rarely exceeded 2 years. In fact we still have a handful of customers that absolutely refuse to get rid of those machines. We still service them, but each machine is isolated on the network and very heavily fire-walled if connected to a network at all. We finally converted our last DOS client this year. Guess where they went... Linux.

I nor any other Linux users are "waiting for software". Every single one of our Linux clients have all the tools they need. If they didn't, they wouldn't be using Linux. Don't confuse my interest in vMix as "Linux users have no options". We have plenty options, and we use them. I also wouldn't mind seeing Photoshop, Premiere, or even Microsoft Office come to Linux. But doesn't mean I can't get my work done. Krita, Lightworks, and LibreOffice do everything I need, and there are many more options out there.

There are over 14 million Windows users compared to 19 million Linux users and a huge portion of those are people just exploring.
Linux is a novel idea for explorers and specific targeted purposes right now. There's no mad rush of people leaving windows for Linux, that's just false. And as far as Ubuntu 12.04, I know businesses still running on Windows XP and even DOS.
I understand your wanting a Vmix for Linux, but to attempt to discredit the worthiness of Windows to people who live and work on it is a senseless approach.

You should work on your routine ...it stinks!
WayneH  
#23 Posted : Thursday, December 15, 2016 10:17:47 PM(UTC)
WayneH

al4video wrote:

There are over 14 million Windows users compared to 19 million Linux users and a huge portion of those are people just exploring.
Linux is a novel idea for explorers and specific targeted purposes right now. There's no mad rush of people leaving windows for Linux, that's just false. And as far as Ubuntu 12.04, I know businesses still running on Windows XP and even DOS.
I understand your wanting a Vmix for Linux, but to attempt to discredit the worthiness of Windows to people who live and work on it is a senseless approach.

You should work on your routine ...it stinks!

What source are you citing those numbers from? I guarantee that is wildly inaccurate. Its is actually impossible to know how many Linux users are out there. The closest we can get is download numbers. But even that is highly in-accurate. After all the thousands of Linux machines we've setup over the years are from a handful of downloads each release cycle. The same holds true for OEMs that ship Linux installed by default.

I have been on the scene a long time. I can guarantee you we have all kinds of users. Not just power users. But I will say we definitely have a larger percentage of power users than other platforms. I fail to see how that's a negative thing though. I don't see novice users running vMix...

I already touched on Windows XP and DOS you obviously didn't read my entire post.

Just because you don't like my real world statistics from being in business over 10 years, doesn't mean I'm trying to discredit Windows. Windows surly doesn't need me for that anyway, I hear the frustrations on a daily basis. I do not claim my statistics are applicable everywhere. Those are just the results I have seen personally.

All I've done is respond to your bashing with my real world experiences. I'm sorry that you don't like them, and think I'm just attacking your beloved platform. That is not my intent. I think I've been as respectful as I possibly can here. There is no need for the personal attacks.

rubberducks  
#24 Posted : Sunday, January 15, 2017 2:11:53 PM(UTC)
rubberducks

I seriously think this should be reviewed and revisited.

Whilst in 2013 it would have been mad for the nascent company to view Linux as a top priority, the same in 2014 and probably much of 2015, much has now changed.

Windows for power users, enterprise and many professionals simply does not look like it has a future at the moment. The security problems, constant instability, and 'bugs' which allow MS to push features, settings and updates, even for Pro or Enterprise licensees have removed an upgrade path for those on 7.

Personally, I know a bunch of people who've switched recently. Particularly graphics professionals and engineers. IT guys I know are constantly telling me how small and medium size enterprises are making pretty much snap decisions to move departments or whole companies to Linux, as support for 7 won't last forever, and 10 isn't even a possibility given all the issues it presents in a professional environment.

For pro and semi-pro, or even serious enthusiast broadcasting or streaming, Ubuntu Studio offers a far more stable, reliable platform with much better integration of tools and resources than Windows could possibly dream of at the moment. With Vulkan about to hit prime time, there's really no excuse to stay with DX. Indeed, moving to Vulkan could well improve the Windows version of vMix.

Other software packages in this sector will move to Linux for sure, now. That seemed less than inevitable even 12 months ago. Now the writing is on the wall, and vMix will be left behind if preparation for the future (Vulkan and multiplatform) isn't under way very quickly. So please, don't ignore it.

On a personal level, my return to streaming has been delayed by about a year, as I've had so much to do IRL, including a move from the UK to NL, due to the Brexit vote. I have had a dual CPU streaming PC ready to go for nearly a year now. Back when I built it, vMix and Windows 7 seemed like the obvious option ..... now? I'm not sure I can tolerate Windows any longer ... if I keep 7 updated, it will inevitably get screwed up ... if I don't it will become increasingly relict. 10 as previously discussed is not an option. That leaves Linux (Ubuntu Studio) and OBS Linux. The Linux version of OBS is undoubtedly lacking a few features still, but I'm not going to invest time and money into an ecosystem (Windows), that for all purposes except gaming, is end of life for me and has no useful purpose.
ask  
#25 Posted : Sunday, January 15, 2017 7:04:43 PM(UTC)
ask

Australia

Was thanked: 199 time(s) in 181 post(s)
Have you tried running vMix on Linux under WINE? What have you got to lose? I haven't a Linux build to test.
WayneH  
#26 Posted : Friday, March 10, 2017 5:02:36 AM(UTC)
WayneH

rubberducks wrote:
On a personal level, my return to streaming has been delayed by about a year, as I've had so much to do IRL, including a move from the UK to NL, due to the Brexit vote. I have had a dual CPU streaming PC ready to go for nearly a year now. Back when I built it, vMix and Windows 7 seemed like the obvious option ..... now? I'm not sure I can tolerate Windows any longer ... if I keep 7 updated, it will inevitably get screwed up ... if I don't it will become increasingly relict. 10 as previously discussed is not an option. That leaves Linux (Ubuntu Studio) and OBS Linux. The Linux version of OBS is undoubtedly lacking a few features still, but I'm not going to invest time and money into an ecosystem (Windows), that for all purposes except gaming, is end of life for me and has no useful purpose.

Considering OBS only has one full-time developer they have made staggering progress. Don't hold your breath on vMix coming to Linux. I have spent a few months now trying to make vMix work well under Windows and it was just not happening. To use vMix you have to use their curated hardware list, it simply would not run well on any hardware i had to throw at it. Getting audio into vMix without dropped samples has proved to be an impossible task on all the hardware I've tried.

Personally I've decided to go all-in on a Blackmagic Television Studio HD + OBS setup under Linux. After factoring in the cost for large input cards and software costs of vMix + Windows, it is definitely a viable alternative for us. Even better in some regards such as latency for IMAG use. With genlock the ATEM only adds a couple lines of latency. Without genlock the re-clock adds no more than 1 frame. vMix in my testing always had a pretty significant delay even in low latency mode. I suspect however most of the delay is in the capture card itself and not something Martin could fix in software.

On the NLE side, very excited about Blackmagic's latest DaVinci Resolve update for Linux. They have a couple things to fix, but I think we will be moving away from Lightworks pretty soon.

I really wanted to make vMix work for us, and Martin has been very helpful over email. It's just not a product we can use at this time. It's just not worth the hassle to end up with sub-par production. I know it works for some people, and maybe some day it can work for us as well.
WayneH  
#27 Posted : Friday, March 10, 2017 5:05:25 AM(UTC)
WayneH

ask wrote:
Have you tried running vMix on Linux under WINE? What have you got to lose? I haven't a Linux build to test.

Honestly, considering the kind of performance I've seen under Windows I wouldn't even think about running vMix in wine. Linux users are better off pursuing other options.
PFBM  
#28 Posted : Wednesday, May 2, 2018 8:03:27 AM(UTC)
PFBM

Man

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 30 post(s)
OSX Metal api is evolving......

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_(API)

Lets wait and see.... if vMix goes cross platform to OSX ....
and get the mac costumers onboard....

Cheers,

PFBM
melody  
#29 Posted : Wednesday, April 27, 2022 10:03:30 PM(UTC)

Groups:

hi all,

i tried to install vmix on linux before... and i founded a way to do that... JUST THE INSTALL PROCESS! it was a big journey...

but now, i look at the market and i can see, as a successful example, Steam with its arms wide open to linux, using PROTON to make possible run windows based aoftware (not only games) on linux, showing us that YES its possible take the key of vmix (Direct3D, as admin said) and simply make a BRIDGE.

my opinion below... it is what it is...

the programmer side... today its not necessary to re-write vmix from the scratch, a little code here and there and vmix can easily run on linux throught VULKAN... or use Steam's PROTON as THE bridge...

the client side... buy windows licence (there are "alternatives", in know, but its not the aim of this coment), buy video hardware, buy vmix licence... money, money, money... despite the fact that LOTS OF CLIENTS are on hate for windows, microsoft is screwing the system all the time with updates, they get 3 new issues when fix 1... Blackmagic is going fast on its way to create some high quality hardware based alternatives for vmix at very good price...

so admin, respectfuly, time to take a look on it!

cheers,

melody