logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
PIWright  
#1 Posted : Sunday, November 22, 2020 4:39:30 AM(UTC)
PIWright

Groups: Registered
United Kingdom

Hi,

I am considering moving from sound control on an Akai APC 40 to something like the Behringer Xtouch - has anyone got any experience of how well it works? I'd like to use the Xtouch for the live stage coupled with an X Air 18 which looks great combined with the Xtouch.

Thannks for your thoughts,

Peter
Babbit  
#2 Posted : Sunday, November 22, 2020 2:37:00 PM(UTC)
Babbit

United States

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 20 post(s)
I have an X-Touch Compact. I wanted something with motorized faders so I wouldn't be instantly hosed if I made a level adjustment in vMix as opposed to the controller. That said, that fader movement sound from the activator isn't the most pleasant thing in the world. It's accomplishing exactly what I hoped though, so it's been a good investment.

It is quite a bit of shortcut and activator programming giving the sheer volume of buttons, encoders, and faders.

One beef I have with the A/B side functionality is that there isn't a way as far as I can tell to force a refresh of the activators without an additional keypress somewhere (those buttons don't register as a MIDI keypress). I also have an X-Touch Mini, and it behaves the same way in that respect. But I prefer to use the Mini in MC Mode, which eliminates the A/B pages entirely.

There is some rumbling in prior postings that the flagship X-Touch (the one with the LCD displays) isn't fully supported:
https://forums.vmix.com/posts/t21925-Midi-Mapping-Toggle-Controls

PIWright  
#3 Posted : Sunday, November 22, 2020 7:41:37 PM(UTC)
PIWright

United Kingdom

Thanks very much for your reply Babbit. I’m not sure I understand the MC AB bit having not throughly researched the Xtouch. I had read that the Xtouch isn’t good as a midi controller which is where the Compact wins but I was excited about using an X air 18 as my stage box for productions and running a single Ethernet cable to the Xtouch next to the Vmix and then being able to deliver that audio to Vmix but also control other elements in Vmix live vts and Vmix calls from the Xtouch. Maybe I’m expecting too much there. I don’t think the compact works with X air 18?

I was wondering about the motorised faders as I thought they would only be iuseful in a DAW application where you are playing.a track and the faders respond to the mix but they are useful in a Vmix context?

Cheers,

Peter
DWAM  
#4 Posted : Sunday, November 22, 2020 8:32:51 PM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Was thanked: 794 time(s) in 589 post(s)
The combo XR18 + Xtouch is fantastic.
However the USB connection is required for best use with vMix (through ASIO drivers). (underlies that having the XR18 on stage far away from vMix is not ideal)
Furthermore, XTouch when used with XR18 does not really allow to control vMix (all buttons are already set for XR18), but it's still possible to use the Akai APC for vMix independently.

In fact that's exactly what I have and use. When audio requires a lot of inputs and management I have the XR18/Xtouch with an audio guy and use Akai for video switching. For simpler projects, I use the UMC404 instead of the XR18 and just the Akai for both video switching and basic audio mixing.
thanks 2 users thanked DWAM for this useful post.
PIWright on 11/29/2020(UTC), Roberfab on 1/30/2022(UTC)
McMorrow  
#5 Posted : Friday, November 27, 2020 5:56:59 AM(UTC)
McMorrow

United States

I just ordered the xtouch compact. I have a new UMC 1820 in my vMix rack that I can insert seperate audio tracks into vMix with. Looking to use the compact to primarily control the vmix audio inputs. Does anyone know if there is documentation to program the compact for vMix? I also would love to incorporate a DAW in the chain.
McMorrow  
#6 Posted : Sunday, November 29, 2020 6:30:04 AM(UTC)
McMorrow

United States

Originally Posted by: Babbit Go to Quoted Post
I have an X-Touch Compact. I wanted something with motorized faders so I wouldn't be instantly hosed if I made a level adjustment in vMix as opposed to the controller. That said, that fader movement sound from the activator isn't the most pleasant thing in the world. It's accomplishing exactly what I hoped though, so it's been a good investment.

It is quite a bit of shortcut and activator programming giving the sheer volume of buttons, encoders, and faders.

One beef I have with the A/B side functionality is that there isn't a way as far as I can tell to force a refresh of the activators without an additional keypress somewhere (those buttons don't register as a MIDI keypress). I also have an X-Touch Mini, and it behaves the same way in that respect. But I prefer to use the Mini in MC Mode, which eliminates the A/B pages entirely.

There is some rumbling in prior postings that the flagship X-Touch (the one with the LCD displays) isn't fully supported:
https://forums.vmix.com/posts/t21925-Midi-Mapping-Toggle-Controls

I installed an activator and shortcut file into vMix and the x touch responds to moves I make in vMix, but not the other way around. Any move I make on the controller does not affect vMix. Any suggestions?