logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
advisiontv  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, April 22, 2020 7:48:57 PM(UTC)
advisiontv

Groups: Registered
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I'm trying to map shortcuts and activators on my Behringer X-Touch but getting a little stuck!

Firstly - I am trying to program the SOLO and MUTE buttons - but currently they are only triggering momentarily as i push them. I can not work out how to push it to toggle it on, and push it again to toggle it off. I've tried Note ON and OFF and SOLO ON and OFF but cannot find the right combination to make it work!

Also, motorised faders. Even though I have mapped the faders to control the software sliders, my x-touch returns the physical faders to 0 after a second. I am running in Mackie USB mode. Ive seen this mentioned a few times, but not managed to successfully find an answer with a working solution.

Thanks in advance
IceStream  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, April 22, 2020 9:20:24 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ advisiontv

Unfortunately, the Behringer X-Touch is not fully supported (as apparently it is not full MIDI), only its little brother the X-Touch Compact is:
https://www.vmix.com/sof...ardware.aspx#controllers

Ice
advisiontv  
#3 Posted : Thursday, April 23, 2020 9:38:48 AM(UTC)
advisiontv

United Kingdom

Ah fair enough- but suppose I had a midi device that was compatible. What is the correct short cuts to, for example, push once to activate channel 1 solo, and push again to de-activate it.
dmwkr  
#4 Posted : Thursday, April 23, 2020 3:32:54 PM(UTC)
dmwkr

Was thanked: 119 time(s) in 108 post(s)
The toggle shortcuts are usually the ones without On or Off in it. So it's 'Solo'. Or 'Audio' for mute on/off.

You can look it up and use a simple search with your browser here:

https://www.vmix.com/hel...utFunctionReference.html
marcusp  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, April 29, 2020 7:46:33 PM(UTC)
marcusp

United Kingdom

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I wish I'd read this a few days ago. My shiny new X-Touch arrived yesterday, and I've hooked it up to vMix today. I'd already got an X-Touch Mini and was so impressed with how easily it worked with vMix, I thought I'd get the big brother. But it's not the same at all.

@adisontv - I can answer your question about the buttons... When you press a button down, it fires a note at a certain velocity. When you let go of the button, it sends another note with a different velocity. In vMix, if you don't specify the value that you're targeting, the shortcut will fire twice: once when you press the button down, and again when you let go. If you check the box, and type in the specific value that corresponds to pressing the button down, it'll solve your problem.

Meanwhile, I have the same issue with the faders closing themselves. I can't figure out how to set an activator that moves them.

Also, the knobs at the top behave differently to the knobs on the X-Touch Mini. On the Mini, turning a knob generates a sliding scale of values. On the X-Touch, each click clockwise fires a note with velocity 65, and each click anticlockwise fires a note with velocity 0. So in vMix, whereas the Mini will fully control a fader from closed to open, a knob on the X-Touch just flicks the volume to 0 or 65.

Gutted. 😫
advisiontv  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, April 29, 2020 8:18:20 PM(UTC)
advisiontv

United Kingdom

Yes - I've since worked out about the velocity thing and now have lots of buttons for cutting and previewing cameras, and advancing slides and images which is great. However, the audio is still bugging me! A lot of people say it doesn't work - but I don't understand why the midi mackie control work in other software. It seems that it can send data to vmix - but its not sending the return data back to move the sliders or make the VU meters work. That would be heaven!
Sadly I think I have a fault with my knobs at the top. They have never really worked properly. When i look at the data on midi reading software it all seems a bit sticky and jumpy
marcusp  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, April 29, 2020 8:39:39 PM(UTC)
marcusp

United Kingdom

I think it's fair to say that it *could* work, if vMix supported the MIDI dialect (for want of a better word) that it's talking. Considering that the faders are understood by vMix as a controller, it can't be a massive leap to have vMix talk back to them correctly. I just don't know what the X-Touch is expecting to hear back, so any attempts to set up the activators are just stabbing around in the dark.

Until then, in the absence of working faders, I'm no better off than I was using an X-Touch Mini. That works beautifully, and for a tenth of the price!
TrevoorB  
#8 Posted : Saturday, May 2, 2020 5:38:18 AM(UTC)
TrevoorB

Man
United Kingdom

Using the MIDI interface to control Vmix from an old control panel from the 80's lot of hardwork but the video on the CQ-DATV facebook shows how far I have got thanks for the MIDI info now trying to work out how to make the t-Bar mix (Imight be some time)
TobinT  
#9 Posted : Saturday, May 2, 2020 10:36:32 PM(UTC)
TobinT

Belgium

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Hi Just came across this post.
I have an Behringer Xtouch Extender. So far almost all functionality works (safe for a few missing activators in vmix). On an extender you need to set it to CTRL or CTRL REL mode, looking at the documentation for the Xtouch it looks like they may not have that functionality natively (possibly available via firmware update).
Hope that helps happy to answer any questions provide any guidance I can.
advisiontv  
#10 Posted : Saturday, May 9, 2020 6:17:38 AM(UTC)
advisiontv

United Kingdom

I have stabbed around in the dark and now have my faders working correctly on my X-Touch. You need use the find function to get shortcuts for each fader to move the fader in the software - which is great, but it returns the fader to zero. To stop this you need an activator. My X-Touch is in MC mode and I discovered the following works....
CONTROL = NOTE
CHANNEL = 2
NOTE 0 TO 1024
EVENT INPUT VOLUME
INPUT 1 (it will do them all regardless)
TYPE = FADER

Im very very glad to get this working, as it's a lot nicer than simply clicking on M to send them on and off the the main bus. However - this as since caused me a lot more issues regarding comms, as I now have no way of hearing my vmix callers unless the fader is up! That won't work if im playing out a video, or another vmix call is on air, and I need to SOLO to hear them!

Let me know if this works for you however!
WouterK  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, November 4, 2020 11:02:33 PM(UTC)
WouterK

Netherlands

Originally Posted by: IceStream Go to Quoted Post
@ advisiontv

Unfortunately, the Behringer X-Touch is not fully supported (as apparently it is not full MIDI), only its little brother the X-Touch Compact is:

Ice

@Ice, can you tell me what is supported? I have the X-Touch and I see it as a UBS device in Windows 10 but in vMix no buttons are reacting. Did research but cannot find the answer to get the device at least partly working.... any hints - tips?

Thx,

Wouter
IceStream  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, November 4, 2020 11:25:08 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ WouterK

As far as I know, the X-Touch was supposed to add firmware updates that would provide full MIDI support to bring it in line with the X-Touch Compact, however, that apparently never happened and as such it is not supported by vMix:

Ice