logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

6 Pages123>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
guidogast  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, May 20, 2020 5:32:57 AM(UTC)
guidogast

Groups: Registered
Man
Netherlands

Was thanked: 33 time(s) in 21 post(s)
Do you want an affordable tally light for your camera, without having to solder yourself? The M5Stick-C by M5Stack comes to the rescue!

For the last week I've been working on this, it is not completely finished yet, but I will not stop until it is really user friendly. Once the project is done, I will upload a comprehensive video tutorial on how to set it up if you've never worked with microcontrollers before. (Including a first time install of the Arduino IDE, since you will have to flash the code to the stick yourself)

You can find my project here: https://github.com/guido-visser/vMix-M5Stick-Tally-Light

An example in GIF form:
Tally Light Example

Please feel free to submit feature requests (please do so on the GitHub page (as an issue), so that everything is in one place). If I think the feature will be a valuable to the project, I will consider implementing it.

If you're having problems, please submit an issue on the GitHub page.

I've made an in-depth tutorial on how to flash the firmware onto the M5Stick-C

A huge thank you (Dankjewel! :D) goes out to Thomas Mout for creating his project a year ago, the core of my code is based on his!

Looking for a solution for M5Stack over M5Stick-C? User lpv has forked my repo and optimized it for the M5Stack. Check his fork on GitLab
thanks 9 users thanked guidogast for this useful post.
dmwkr on 6/30/2020(UTC), Peter1000 on 7/5/2020(UTC), RingsideReport on 7/6/2020(UTC), julianlee on 7/29/2020(UTC), DannyGudkov on 9/16/2020(UTC), videokommando on 10/14/2020(UTC), fheublein on 1/3/2021(UTC), UzumyLemon on 6/1/2022(UTC), thyag0_chz on 11/20/2022(UTC)
dark_ata  
#2 Posted : Thursday, May 21, 2020 2:39:20 AM(UTC)
dark_ata

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 13 post(s)
great, what is the range of the M5StickC? Tomorrow I think I'll order a couple of them to test
guidogast  
#3 Posted : Thursday, May 21, 2020 4:56:51 PM(UTC)
guidogast

Man
Netherlands

Originally Posted by: dark_ata Go to Quoted Post
great, what is the range of the M5StickC? Tomorrow I think I'll order a couple of them to test

Hi dark_ata,

I haven't tested that out. It's a 2.4Ghz signal, so my assumption is that you can go as far as your phone for example. Could you post your findings here on the forum for people in the future?

Thanks in advance!
hidavid  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, June 9, 2020 3:12:01 PM(UTC)
hidavid

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Phenomenal Project, works flawlessly once set up correctly and is by far the nicest / easiest and cheapest Tally Solution I've seen. Thank you! If we were able to change the IP via webinterface that would be another bonus but otherwise i'm blown away.

thanks 1 user thanked hidavid for this useful post.
guidogast on 6/10/2020(UTC)
dmwkr  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, June 30, 2020 7:16:11 PM(UTC)
dmwkr

Was thanked: 118 time(s) in 107 post(s)
Guido, great stuff! I had problems getting it to run on vMix 23.0.0.58, downgraded to 23.0.0.57, and it works great. Can you confirm that it doesn't work with .58?

I will run some tests, including a long-term test. As I don't have any experience with the M5Stick – do you know how long the battery lasts? (Maybe a feature request: If it is possible to query the battery status, you could include it on the status screen.)

Thank you!
lamish  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, July 1, 2020 7:14:46 PM(UTC)
lamish

Sweden

Hello,
Great stuff!!!

I just ordered and recived my M5StickC!!!
I have followed both guides and done everything that was in the guides.

Im stuck at transfering files to the Stick... Does anyone know how to do that?
dark_ata  
#7 Posted : Thursday, July 2, 2020 12:31:28 AM(UTC)
dark_ata

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 13 post(s)
I just got it, both the vmix .38 and the .58 perfect.

Great job.
guidogast  
#8 Posted : Thursday, July 2, 2020 12:36:53 AM(UTC)
guidogast

Man
Netherlands

Originally Posted by: lamish Go to Quoted Post
Hello,
Great stuff!!!

I just ordered and recived my M5StickC!!!
I have followed both guides and done everything that was in the guides.

Im stuck at transfering files to the Stick... Does anyone know how to do that?

Hi Lamish,

You don't have to transfer the files to the stick. You just have to upload the scripts via the Arduino IDE to your M5StickC. Could you let me know what goes wrong?

Have you tried uploading a simple Hello World script to the stick (Google a simple script)? If that works, I think you wouldn't have any trouble uploading my scripts to the stick. Let me know :)
guidogast  
#9 Posted : Thursday, July 2, 2020 12:41:27 AM(UTC)
guidogast

Man
Netherlands

Originally Posted by: dmwkr Go to Quoted Post
Guido, great stuff! I had problems getting it to run on vMix 23.0.0.58, downgraded to 23.0.0.57, and it works great. Can you confirm that it doesn't work with .58?

I will run some tests, including a long-term test. As I don't have any experience with the M5Stick – do you know how long the battery lasts? (Maybe a feature request: If it is possible to query the battery status, you could include it on the status screen.)

Thank you!

A battery indicator would be a nice feature! Can you report this as an issue on the Github page? I think that I'll look at updating the code somewhere next week.

I tested the battery on a full charge and the stick can be on the "Live" screen (incl. LED on) for about 40 minutes. I use it at my church with a very small powerbank (powerbank was 2,50). That keeps the board going for at least 2 hours (enough for me)

About the version issue. No clue. I haven't tested it out with the newest version yet. But unless the devs of vMix changed the TCP API for tally lights, it should work just fine. I am going to church tonight, so I could test it out for you, since we updated to .58 last Sunday (after the service). I'll let you know :)

Update 17:53 - Checked it with vMix version .58 and it works. No problems here
thanks 2 users thanked guidogast for this useful post.
dmwkr on 7/6/2020(UTC), julianlee on 7/13/2020(UTC)
lamish  
#10 Posted : Sunday, July 5, 2020 9:07:24 PM(UTC)
lamish

Sweden

Hello,
Is it possible to make a guide where you go through the steps of adding them on vMix as well?
Peter1000  
#11 Posted : Sunday, July 5, 2020 9:27:57 PM(UTC)
Peter1000

Switzerland

Was thanked: 73 time(s) in 54 post(s)
i made 4 sticks accoring the guide in guthub, works perfect, even with version vmix 23.58
great work GUIDOGAST ! thanks.
mine will run only 2-8 minutes on the internal battery :-)

vmix tally.gif (1,682kb) downloaded 13 time(s).
lamish  
#12 Posted : Sunday, July 5, 2020 9:37:34 PM(UTC)
lamish

Sweden

Is it only possible to program them to an input on vMix while their USB cable is attached so that i can assign the COM ports to the input?
It is not possible to do this while they are wireless?
Peter1000  
#13 Posted : Sunday, July 5, 2020 11:27:41 PM(UTC)
Peter1000

Switzerland

Was thanked: 73 time(s) in 54 post(s)
only via usb, each device gets probabely another comport in the arduino program.
dmwkr  
#14 Posted : Monday, July 6, 2020 1:35:02 AM(UTC)
dmwkr

Originally Posted by: guidogast Go to Quoted Post

A battery indicator would be a nice feature! Can you report this as an issue on the Github page? I think that I'll look at updating the code somewhere next week.

I tested the battery on a full charge and the stick can be on the "Live" screen (incl. LED on) for about 40 minutes. I use it at my church with a very small powerbank (powerbank was 2,50). That keeps the board going for at least 2 hours (enough for me)

About the version issue. No clue. I haven't tested it out with the newest version yet. But unless the devs of vMix changed the TCP API for tally lights, it should work just fine. I am going to church tonight, so I could test it out for you, since we updated to .58 last Sunday (after the service). I'll let you know :)

I reported it on Github as an issue.

I ran some tests with the M5Stick and also came to the conclusion that it runs 40-60 Minutes, depending on "live time".

When I was looking for info on battery status etc. I stumbled upon power saving tips for the esp32 platform:
https://www.savjee.be/20...o-increase-battery-life/

Maybe there is a tip in it (#4?) that you might want to try. I don't have enough knowledge if it is feasible.

Thank you for looking into the issue with .58. I'll upgrade again with more time on my hands and report if I can pin down the issue.

And again, thanks for sharing the project! We'll add some more sticks to our production.
guidogast  
#15 Posted : Monday, July 6, 2020 5:48:52 PM(UTC)
guidogast

Man
Netherlands

Thanks for all the amazing responses! I'm glad that it works so well for you guys! I've been pretty busy lately, but I'm still committed to make this the easiest and cheapest Tally solution for vMix. I hope to continue the work shortly. I'll try to implement all points on the todo list at the GitHub page.
rajko  
#16 Posted : Tuesday, July 7, 2020 3:53:10 AM(UTC)
rajko

Serbia

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Great project. Does anyone know wifi range of M5StickC?
dmwkr  
#17 Posted : Monday, July 13, 2020 11:05:51 PM(UTC)
dmwkr

Short version:
It's working now!

Long version:
I updated to .59 on the first PC and ran into the same problem again. (Stick said: "Connected to vMix!" but stayed on the status screen. Pressing the M5 button showed "Safe" screen, and after a few seconds it switched to "Connecting".) Tested .59 on the backup PC and it worked without problems. I tried to find the differences in the configurations. On the first machine, I had password protected some of the web controller entries. After erasing password protection everything worked. I am not able to reproduce the problem and say what exactly caused it in the first place. Anyways, it is working very well now.
julianlee  
#18 Posted : Thursday, July 16, 2020 1:07:43 AM(UTC)
julianlee

Man

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi, everyone.
I appreciate your very good work.
I applied for the purchase of the product today.
(M5stack-C and Battery Support)
Is this product only charged?
Or I wonder if M5stack can be used for a long time.
I will provide the progress. Please give me a lot of advice.
Screenshot 2020-07-16 at 00.01.11.jpg (13kb) downloaded 3 time(s). Screenshot 2020-07-16 at 00.01.35.jpg (13kb) downloaded 1 time(s). Screenshot 2020-07-16 at 00.02.02.jpg (27kb) downloaded 2 time(s).
Pyrrhus  
#19 Posted : Friday, July 17, 2020 5:19:09 AM(UTC)
Pyrrhus

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: dmwkr Go to Quoted Post

Thank you!

This project is awesome, I just flashed it and works flawlessly. I'm just worried about how long it runs off battery. I may look at getting a couple powerbanks like others have done. You are using a 2,500mah powerbank? I'm looking at Amazon and they have a 5,000mah for $7. I'm thinking of just ordering a couple of those to give me 4 hours of run time (which would be more than enough for my needs). I usually setup a couple hours before service so they would be on safe, and then the preaching is about 30 to 40 mins where one would be on "LIVE". I have a 2nd one for a deacon that leads a couple prayers but that is maybe less than 7 mins of LIVE", but I do keep him on pre for maybe 10 to 15 mins.
lpv  
#20 Posted : Saturday, July 18, 2020 12:01:04 AM(UTC)
lpv

Originally Posted by: julianlee Go to Quoted Post
Hi, everyone.
I appreciate your very good work.
I applied for the purchase of the product today.
(M5stack-C and Battery Support)
Is this product only charged?
Or I wonder if M5stack can be used for a long time.
I will provide the progress. Please give me a lot of advice.
Screenshot 2020-07-16 at 00.01.11.jpg (13kb) downloaded 3 time(s). Screenshot 2020-07-16 at 00.01.35.jpg (13kb) downloaded 1 time(s). Screenshot 2020-07-16 at 00.02.02.jpg (27kb) downloaded 2 time(s).

The code I wrote for the M5Stack is pretty draining on the battery, but I'm working on optimizing that. I do not yet have the 700mAh battery module, and the battery that comes with only lasts ~ 10 minutes. But again, it's not optimized. Guido's code runs fine on the M5Stack, my code is formatted for the Stack and includes the access point, web server for configuration and saving the settings.