logo

Live Production Software Forums


Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
guidogast  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, May 20, 2020 5:32:57 AM(UTC)
guidogast

Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 5/19/2017(UTC)
Posts: 7
Location: The Netherlands

Thanks: 1 times
Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Do you want an affordable tally light for your camera, without having to solder yourself? The M5Stick-C by M5Stack comes to the rescue!

For the last week I've been working on this, it is not completely finished yet, but I will not stop until it is really user friendly. Once the project is done, I will upload a comprehensive video tutorial on how to set it up if you've never worked with microcontrollers before. (Including a first time install of the Arduino IDE, since you will have to flash the code to the stick yourself)

You can find my project here: https://github.com/guido-visser/vMix-M5Stick-Tally-Light

An example in GIF form:
Tally Light Example

Please feel free to submit feature requests (please do so on the GitHub page (as an issue), so that everything is in one place). If I think the feature will be a valuable to the project, I will consider implementing it.

If you're having problems, please submit an issue on the GitHub page.

A huge thank you (Dankjewel! :D) goes out to Thomas Mout for creating his project a year ago, my code is mostly based on his!
thanks 3 users thanked guidogast for this useful post.
dmwkr on 6/30/2020(UTC), Peter1000 on 7/5/2020(UTC), RingsideReport on 7/6/2020(UTC)
dark_ata  
#2 Posted : Thursday, May 21, 2020 2:39:20 AM(UTC)
dark_ata

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 8/10/2015(UTC)
Posts: 121
Location: Tenerife

Thanks: 9 times
Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 13 post(s)
great, what is the range of the M5StickC? Tomorrow I think I'll order a couple of them to test
guidogast  
#3 Posted : Thursday, May 21, 2020 4:56:51 PM(UTC)
guidogast

Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 5/19/2017(UTC)
Posts: 7
Location: The Netherlands

Thanks: 1 times
Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Originally Posted by: dark_ata Go to Quoted Post
great, what is the range of the M5StickC? Tomorrow I think I'll order a couple of them to test


Hi dark_ata,

I haven't tested that out. It's a 2.4Ghz signal, so my assumption is that you can go as far as your phone for example. Could you post your findings here on the forum for people in the future?

Thanks in advance!
hidavid  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, June 9, 2020 3:12:01 PM(UTC)
hidavid

Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 1/16/2018(UTC)
Posts: 7
Location: Bern, Switzerland

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Phenomenal Project, works flawlessly once set up correctly and is by far the nicest / easiest and cheapest Tally Solution I've seen. Thank you! If we were able to change the IP via webinterface that would be another bonus but otherwise i'm blown away.

thanks 1 user thanked hidavid for this useful post.
guidogast on 6/10/2020(UTC)
dmwkr  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, June 30, 2020 7:16:11 PM(UTC)
dmwkr

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 2/23/2019(UTC)
Posts: 143

Thanks: 23 times
Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 31 post(s)
Guido, great stuff! I had problems getting it to run on vMix 23.0.0.58, downgraded to 23.0.0.57, and it works great. Can you confirm that it doesn't work with .58?

I will run some tests, including a long-term test. As I don't have any experience with the M5Stick – do you know how long the battery lasts? (Maybe a feature request: If it is possible to query the battery status, you could include it on the status screen.)

Thank you!
lamish  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, July 1, 2020 7:14:46 PM(UTC)
lamish

Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 5/26/2020(UTC)
Posts: 4
Sweden

Hello,
Great stuff!!!

I just ordered and recived my M5StickC!!!
I have followed both guides and done everything that was in the guides.

Im stuck at transfering files to the Stick... Does anyone know how to do that?
dark_ata  
#7 Posted : Thursday, July 2, 2020 12:31:28 AM(UTC)
dark_ata

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 8/10/2015(UTC)
Posts: 121
Location: Tenerife

Thanks: 9 times
Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 13 post(s)
I just got it, both the vmix .38 and the .58 perfect.

Great job.
guidogast  
#8 Posted : Thursday, July 2, 2020 12:36:53 AM(UTC)
guidogast

Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 5/19/2017(UTC)
Posts: 7
Location: The Netherlands

Thanks: 1 times
Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Originally Posted by: lamish Go to Quoted Post
Hello,
Great stuff!!!

I just ordered and recived my M5StickC!!!
I have followed both guides and done everything that was in the guides.

Im stuck at transfering files to the Stick... Does anyone know how to do that?


Hi Lamish,

You don't have to transfer the files to the stick. You just have to upload the scripts via the Arduino IDE to your M5StickC. Could you let me know what goes wrong?

Have you tried uploading a simple Hello World script to the stick (Google a simple script)? If that works, I think you wouldn't have any trouble uploading my scripts to the stick. Let me know :)
guidogast  
#9 Posted : Thursday, July 2, 2020 12:41:27 AM(UTC)
guidogast

Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 5/19/2017(UTC)
Posts: 7
Location: The Netherlands

Thanks: 1 times
Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Originally Posted by: dmwkr Go to Quoted Post
Guido, great stuff! I had problems getting it to run on vMix 23.0.0.58, downgraded to 23.0.0.57, and it works great. Can you confirm that it doesn't work with .58?

I will run some tests, including a long-term test. As I don't have any experience with the M5Stick – do you know how long the battery lasts? (Maybe a feature request: If it is possible to query the battery status, you could include it on the status screen.)

Thank you!


A battery indicator would be a nice feature! Can you report this as an issue on the Github page? I think that I'll look at updating the code somewhere next week.

I tested the battery on a full charge and the stick can be on the "Live" screen (incl. LED on) for about 40 minutes. I use it at my church with a very small powerbank (powerbank was 2,50). That keeps the board going for at least 2 hours (enough for me)

About the version issue. No clue. I haven't tested it out with the newest version yet. But unless the devs of vMix changed the TCP API for tally lights, it should work just fine. I am going to church tonight, so I could test it out for you, since we updated to .58 last Sunday (after the service). I'll let you know :)

Update 17:53 - Checked it with vMix version .58 and it works. No problems here
thanks 1 user thanked guidogast for this useful post.
dmwkr on 7/6/2020(UTC)
lamish  
#10 Posted : Sunday, July 5, 2020 9:07:24 PM(UTC)
lamish

Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 5/26/2020(UTC)
Posts: 4
Sweden

Hello,
Is it possible to make a guide where you go through the steps of adding them on vMix as well?
Peter1000  
#11 Posted : Sunday, July 5, 2020 9:27:57 PM(UTC)
Peter1000

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 1/25/2019(UTC)
Posts: 137
Switzerland

Thanks: 4 times
Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 20 post(s)
i made 4 sticks accoring the guide in guthub, works perfect, even with version vmix 23.58
great work GUIDOGAST ! thanks.
mine will run only 2-8 minutes on the internal battery :-)

vmix tally.gif (1,682kb) downloaded 4 time(s).
lamish  
#12 Posted : Sunday, July 5, 2020 9:37:34 PM(UTC)
lamish

Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 5/26/2020(UTC)
Posts: 4
Sweden

Is it only possible to program them to an input on vMix while their USB cable is attached so that i can assign the COM ports to the input?
It is not possible to do this while they are wireless?
Peter1000  
#13 Posted : Sunday, July 5, 2020 11:27:41 PM(UTC)
Peter1000

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 1/25/2019(UTC)
Posts: 137
Switzerland

Thanks: 4 times
Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 20 post(s)
only via usb, each device gets probabely another comport in the arduino program.
dmwkr  
#14 Posted : Monday, July 6, 2020 1:35:02 AM(UTC)
dmwkr

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 2/23/2019(UTC)
Posts: 143

Thanks: 23 times
Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 31 post(s)
Originally Posted by: guidogast Go to Quoted Post


A battery indicator would be a nice feature! Can you report this as an issue on the Github page? I think that I'll look at updating the code somewhere next week.

I tested the battery on a full charge and the stick can be on the "Live" screen (incl. LED on) for about 40 minutes. I use it at my church with a very small powerbank (powerbank was 2,50). That keeps the board going for at least 2 hours (enough for me)

About the version issue. No clue. I haven't tested it out with the newest version yet. But unless the devs of vMix changed the TCP API for tally lights, it should work just fine. I am going to church tonight, so I could test it out for you, since we updated to .58 last Sunday (after the service). I'll let you know :)

Update 17:53 - Checked it with vMix version .58 and it works. No problems here


I reported it on Github as an issue.

I ran some tests with the M5Stick and also came to the conclusion that it runs 40-60 Minutes, depending on "live time".

When I was looking for info on battery status etc. I stumbled upon power saving tips for the esp32 platform:
https://www.savjee.be/20...o-increase-battery-life/

Maybe there is a tip in it (#4?) that you might want to try. I don't have enough knowledge if it is feasible.

Thank you for looking into the issue with .58. I'll upgrade again with more time on my hands and report if I can pin down the issue.

And again, thanks for sharing the project! We'll add some more sticks to our production.
Users browsing this topic
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.