logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

5 Pages123>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
raugert  
#1 Posted : Thursday, December 13, 2018 6:31:55 AM(UTC)
raugert

Groups: Registered
Canada

Was thanked: 309 time(s) in 176 post(s)
Here's a little app that I wrote for a request in the general forum, but I thought I would add it here as it may be useful for other users. I hope that's ok.

The app takes the Timecode Info (Position, Duration and Remaining) from the item that is currently playing on the Output, and sends it back as text to vMix through the API. You can create a Title (XAML) Input and capture the data as text in the appropriate fields (Position, Duration, Remaining). Now you can use this Title Input as an overlay (probably over the Preview window) or just as an Input in your Multiview.

Launch the app and just enter the vMix IP and the Title Input's Name that you wish to send the data to.

- You can run the app from any computer connected to your vMix network. (Mac or PC) or on the vMix computer.
- If you like, you can also use the app on multiple computers as a TimeCode Reader only (perhaps for a production assistant or other Ops) **
** If the app is running on multiple computers as a simple Timecode Reader, make sure you enter the Title FileName on only one of the apps that are running. Otherwise it will send duplicate data to your Title file.
- adjust the delay compensation to match the vMix Timecode. The accuracy is within 1 second. (usually good enough for production..)

I've included a sample .xaml in the zip file. You can modify it to suit your needs.

updated: 27 Dec 2020
https://cli.re/vMix-Timecode-Reader-v10

cheers,
Richard
thanks 20 users thanked raugert for this useful post.
rickb on 3/23/2019(UTC), AndrewDrevko on 6/19/2019(UTC), stigaard on 5/3/2020(UTC), smudge1977 on 5/13/2020(UTC), avsoundguy on 7/5/2020(UTC), HJM1 on 8/16/2020(UTC), dcode on 8/17/2020(UTC), Mano Bakker on 8/31/2020(UTC), DWAM on 9/10/2020(UTC), adbit on 11/19/2020(UTC), Ridpath13 on 2/15/2021(UTC), studiodelta on 4/13/2021(UTC), Cyco on 5/5/2021(UTC), Kristoph on 6/28/2021(UTC), Metroplex Mobile Studio on 8/20/2021(UTC), MaxSpecs on 9/29/2021(UTC), Jurgen on 2/28/2022(UTC), nikosman88 on 4/17/2022(UTC), eduardocfs on 5/6/2022(UTC), ovonder on 3/6/2024(UTC)
nick.walsh  
#2 Posted : Saturday, May 25, 2019 4:59:24 AM(UTC)
nick.walsh

Hey Richard,

This is really fantastic, thanks so much for doing this, it works incredibly easily.

One thing that I'm trying to do is make a comp based on the time data from two separate vMix computers. I have timecode reader pulling in the time data to a xaml based on itself, and a second instance pulling in the data from another system. However, when I try to make a second xaml (on the local vmix) for this reader, it doesn't connect. Any idea why this might be happening? Is it possible for one machine to pull in two seperate feeds and populate two separate xaml inputs?

Thanks,
Nick Walsh - Live X

Edit: Spelling
raugert  
#3 Posted : Saturday, May 25, 2019 8:30:17 AM(UTC)
raugert

Canada

Hi Nick,

Thanks for using the app. The app was designed to pull the 'Time Data' from the same computer that is running vMix where the IP is essentially the same for 'data' and 'xaml'. If I understand correctly, you want to take the 'data' from a 2nd vMix computer and send it to the main vMix 'xaml' title.

Technically it should be possible to do what you want if I add a separate field for 'data' IP, where in your case it differs from the main vMix computer. I'll play around with it see what I can do.

cheers,
Richard
raugert  
#4 Posted : Monday, May 27, 2019 1:51:08 PM(UTC)
raugert

Canada

Here is a new version where you can add the IP of the second vMix computer where you are pulling the timecode data from.
You can now have the main vMix computer pull data from two separate sources and feed to two separate xaml inputs.

https://cli.re/gMV5y9

Let me know how it works for you.
Richard
thanks 1 user thanked raugert for this useful post.
richardgatarski on 10/18/2019(UTC)
nick.walsh  
#5 Posted : Saturday, June 1, 2019 12:33:19 AM(UTC)
nick.walsh

Hey Richard!

Thanks so much for this! I'm going to test this out and probably use it on a show we're doing next week.

Thanks,
Nick
gaffpierre  
#6 Posted : Monday, June 10, 2019 1:43:17 AM(UTC)
gaffpierre

United States

Hey Richard, how do you point it to anthr xaml to see timing on two videos at once? It does not show two in the sam window when I point to 2 different IP's in the same timecode reader. I had to make two seperate xaml files and point to a different IP and different xaml title on each, but one stays frozen though it shows the two different IP timecodes.
raugert  
#7 Posted : Monday, June 10, 2019 8:36:19 AM(UTC)
raugert

Canada

I'm not quite sure what you mean by ''It does not show two in the sam window when I point to 2 different IP's in the same timecode reader.''

In order to read the timecode from the main vMix computer and a second vMix computer at the same time, you need to run 2 instances of the timecode reader. In the first instance, you would insert the main vMix IP and the first.xaml file you wish to send the timecode to. Don't put anything in the secondary vMix computer field. This will now read the timecode from videos playing on the main vMix computer Output and send it to the selected .xaml file

In the second instance, you would insert the main vMix IP again, the name of a second.xaml, and the IP of the second vMix computer that you wish to read the timecode from. This will read the timecode from videos playing on the second vMix computer Output and send it to the selected .xaml file on the main vMix computer.

Hope that helps,
Richard

HJM1  
#8 Posted : Monday, June 10, 2019 10:26:18 PM(UTC)
HJM1

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hello Richard,

I just come back from the studio where we have two vmix computers. The main vmix pc is running 24/7 with different clips via playlist.

I try to get the timecode on the second vmix computer. Because i have via NDI the output from the main vmix I want to fade the timecode to the output so that from this pc and use it on the studio monitor.

Should I run your app on the second pc or on the main pc, the same for the filename.

Can you explain please how to fix this?

Thanks already for your wonderfull app.

Regards, Henk
raugert  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, June 11, 2019 8:18:27 PM(UTC)
raugert

Canada

Look at "main vMix computer IP" field as the computer you are sending the timecode 'to', then in your case it would be the Studio computer.

The "secondary computer IP" is where you are getting the timecode 'from', in you case it would be the 24/7 computer.

The filename is always the 'title/xaml' input name on the 'to' computer, in your case the studio computer.

In your case, you only need to run 1 instance of the app because you are only overlaying the timecode on the Studio computer.

It's sounds a little confusing since I added the <main computer> and <secondary computer> feature. Perhaps I'll change the nomenclature to "to" and "from"...

hope this makes sense :)
regards,
Richard

thanks 1 user thanked raugert for this useful post.
HJM1 on 6/14/2019(UTC)
HJM1  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, June 12, 2019 1:10:45 AM(UTC)
HJM1

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Thanks for your reply.

I will test it this week in our studio.

If you make changes in the program is it possible to remember the inputs like ip and filename, because if you restart the app you have to fill every time the same input.

Thanks again....

Regards, Henk
thanks 1 user thanked HJM1 for this useful post.
AndrewDrevko on 6/19/2019(UTC)
AndrewDrevko  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, June 19, 2019 6:25:34 PM(UTC)
AndrewDrevko

Ukraine

Thanks for this nice option. You've done great app. I have live studio production with 3 vMix. Director and editor were always unhappy about not seeing countdown of the current video which is played from assistants PC. Didn't connect it with xaml but use desktop capture to get it into main vMix and show to the custom MW. How does it work? Write to the xaml(gtzip) online. Is it matter where that xaml file is located? Should I write only name of file or .xaml as well?

raugert  
#12 Posted : Sunday, June 23, 2019 1:10:45 AM(UTC)
raugert

Canada

The app reads the Timecode from the vMix computer that is playing back the videos. In your case it is the assistants vMix PC. You would enter the IP of this computer in the "Secondary Computer" field. If you want to send the timecode to a .xaml title in your Main vMix computer, then enter it's IP in the Main vMix IP field

This Timecode information is then sent to the Main vMix computer via a .xaml or .gtzip title input. It will fill the fields that are labelled (Position, Duration,Remaining). You can design your own title if you like as long as you use the same names (Position, Duration,Remaining) for displaying the timecode info.

The Filename should include .xaml or .gtzip

FYI: You can also use the app as a 'standalone' on any computer without sending the timecode info to a .xaml title file. Just enter the IP of the vMix computer you want to read the timecode from. This way anyone on the network can see the timecode on their PC or Mac. Don't include any filename.

regards,
Richard
Henny  
#13 Posted : Sunday, September 29, 2019 8:33:37 PM(UTC)
Henny

Man

Was thanked: 23 time(s) in 20 post(s)
Hi Can this be extended to take timecode from list inputs as well as videos? i often use the list input to run 3 or 4 adverts back to back and taking the overall remain time would be good
raugert  
#14 Posted : Monday, September 30, 2019 12:06:51 PM(UTC)
raugert

Canada

Hi Henny,

You can take timecode from list inputs but unfortunately the API XML only gives the timecode of the current item and not the overall time.. Not much I can do at the moment unless the XML changes at some point.

cheers,
Richard
richardgatarski  
#15 Posted : Friday, October 18, 2019 6:25:59 PM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Was thanked: 292 time(s) in 246 post(s)
Richard,
I can't get it reading the anything. Do I need to put the .exe and/or external .dlls at some specific location?
Thanks.
/Richard :)
raugert  
#16 Posted : Friday, October 18, 2019 10:52:15 PM(UTC)
raugert

Canada

You need to run the .exe from the folder that contains the .dll. The folder needs to stay intact The easiest way is to create a shortcut of the .exe and drag it to your desktop or wherever you like. .

Cheers
Richard
richardgatarski  
#17 Posted : Friday, October 18, 2019 11:33:53 PM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Was thanked: 292 time(s) in 246 post(s)
Thanks, nice! Got it working after moving two dll's

When I unpacked the ZIP I got this file/folder structure

MacOSX (I ignored that)
Windows
Externals
revdb.dll (I moved to the Windows folder)
revxml.dll (I moved to the Windows folder)
tsNet-x86.dll (left here, error if moved)
vMix TimeCode Reader.exe
Timecode.gtzip
nickwalsh721  
#18 Posted : Monday, December 30, 2019 7:48:46 AM(UTC)
nickwalsh721

United States

Hey Richard!

Having a bug on vmix 22 - Currently, the app is ignoring any mark ins/outs that we put in through vmix and showing the time of the source. We've seen this both when pulling from the same IP address and pulling from another computer.

Any advice?

Thanks,
Nick
raugert  
#19 Posted : Monday, December 30, 2019 2:20:17 PM(UTC)
raugert

Canada

Hi Nick,

Update:
- fixed issue where timecode was not displaying properly when using In / Out marks.

https://cli.re/vMix-TimeCode-Reader-v5

regards,
Richard
nickwalsh721  
#20 Posted : Tuesday, December 31, 2019 4:27:24 AM(UTC)
nickwalsh721

United States

Thanks Richard!

We're gonna test this right now.

-Nick