logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Ragnvald  
#1 Posted : Monday, March 20, 2017 1:33:18 AM(UTC)
Ragnvald

Groups: Registered

Hi everyone. Extremely frustrated right now.

So here's what is going on: I get a lot of DroppedFrames in the recorded file and it's causing major issue for me when I am to edit the recorded file in Adobe Premier.

I just recorded a live show. It's about 1 hr 30 minutes long. Now when I am to edit the file I notice that the audio "drift" apart from the video - every 30 seconds or so and I have to manually re-sync the video to match the audio. And it's just a nightmare to deal with this.

Some shows I record has not had this issue at all, while other shows have had tremendous audio/video sync problems. This inconsistency is driving me NUTS and I have not been able to figure it out. I thought i was an issue with my hardware first.

So I want to get to the bottom of it. I just checked the log file for my last recording and I see that out of 190811 total recorded frames I have 4722 DroppedFrames and 100% of those is "DueToSourceFrameRate." So the source (what source?) frame rate is to blame for this.

What is the procedure to avoid dropped frames due to a source that you bring into vMix?

Many clips that I play in the show, have been edited and then exported in to the same framerate as the vMix project: 29.97, but not all. Some clips I play have not been exported by me and I've just imported them into vMix "as is." I haven't checked all of them so I don't know what frame rate they have. Do they have to match?

Here are my questions:

1. Do I need to convert/transcode/render EVERY SINGLE CLIP that I want to play in vMix, to match the project frame rate - to avoid this issue? (Is this the issue?)
2. If one (or several) of my 5 camera sources have a different frame rate (or even interlaced even for example), than my vMix project, can this cause the dropped frames?
3. What about NDI/vMix desktop capture. If my vMix project is 29.97 and I have a NDI/desktop capture input that is at 15 frames per second, will this be an issue? Can this cause DroppedFrames in the recorded file?
4. What if I have a source that has a different frame rate - and say I can't change it - How does vMix handle this?

I'm kinda embarrassed that I have not been paying attention to this before to be honest. From everything that I've been reading about and experimenting with in Vmix, I have not come across good instructions on a standard file convention that should be implemented to match frame rates, before you record/stream a show.

So, is there any kind of rigorous procedure that should I adopt, in order to avoid this in the future?

Would a transcoding feature in vMix be something that would "fix" this issue? Tricaster has this I believe. In order to avoid that a few clips, with different frame rate, create an unbearable situation later when you are to edit the file that you've recorded.

Thank you for any help I can get on this. I do not want to go through this torture of an editing job again.
sinc747  
#2 Posted : Monday, March 20, 2017 2:09:43 AM(UTC)
sinc747

Man
United States

Was thanked: 194 time(s) in 160 post(s)
Help us by describing your PC setup (CPU, RAM, video card, drives, etc.) and the setting you are using (overall settings and record settings). It may be as simple as a setting.

- Tom
Ragnvald  
#3 Posted : Monday, March 20, 2017 6:31:05 PM(UTC)
Ragnvald

Thanks sinc747

My settings

vMix version 18.0.0.65 x 64
vMix Project preset I use: HD 1080 29.97

These are my recording settings:
UserPostedImage
I'm running an external audio mixer, hence the audio delay to compensate

Specs on my computer:

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Version 10.0.14393 Build 14393
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name RENDER
System Manufacturer ASUS
System Model All Series
System Type x64-based PC
System SKU All
Processor Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-1650 v3 @ 3.50GHz, 3501 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 2001, 9/30/2015
SMBIOS Version 2.8
Embedded Controller Version 255.255
BIOS Mode Legacy
BaseBoard Manufacturer ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
BaseBoard Model Not Available
BaseBoard Name Base Board
Platform Role Desktop
Secure Boot State Unsupported
PCR7 Configuration Binding Not Possible
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale Sweden
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.14393.206"
User Name RENDER\Ragnvald
Time Zone GMT+1
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 64.0 GB
Total Physical Memory 63.9 GB
Available Physical Memory 60.1 GB
Total Virtual Memory 73.4 GB
Available Virtual Memory 69.3 GB
Page File Space 9.50 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys
Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware Yes
Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes

Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti
Audio interface: Audient ID4

Let me know if there are some specs or settings that I'm missing. Thanks so much again for helping guys.
DWAM  
#4 Posted : Monday, March 20, 2017 7:29:14 PM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Was thanked: 794 time(s) in 589 post(s)
I see you are using Hyper V. Is your vMix host a VM instance ?
SportsNetUSA.net  
#5 Posted : Monday, March 20, 2017 8:39:24 PM(UTC)
SportsNetUSA.net

Was thanked: 123 time(s) in 115 post(s)
How many hard drives, type and which one is being used to record vMix files to?
Ittaidv  
#6 Posted : Monday, March 20, 2017 9:02:42 PM(UTC)
Ittaidv

Man
Belgium

Was thanked: 91 time(s) in 75 post(s)
Did you record a mp4 file? Premiere has troubles with handling variable bitrates. Try to transcode your recording with handbrake to a constant bitrate file and check if it solves your problems :)

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1110005
Ragnvald  
#7 Posted : Monday, March 20, 2017 11:41:44 PM(UTC)
Ragnvald

DWAM: What is a WM instance? A Virtual Machine? This is not something I have set up no, but I'm not sure if it's running or not. How do I find out? And how might it related to my problem?

SportsNetUSA.net: I record to a Samsung SSD 850 PRO 512GB, then once i've recorded I move the file to two different HDD's.

Ittaidv: Yes, I record to mp4. I can try that but I think the problem is that there are dropped frames in the files already before importing it into Premier. So I don't think these can be restored, even if I transcode it with handbrake? The frames will be lost and the audio/video will drift apart anyway. I really don't want to record to avi (too large files) and WMV sucks. I see mp4 as my only viable option.

Thanks guys. Trying to get to the bottom of what frame rate I need on my input sources to avoid the issue. Unless it's a codec issue.
sinc747  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, March 21, 2017 2:08:22 AM(UTC)
sinc747

Man
United States

Was thanked: 194 time(s) in 160 post(s)
Ragnvald wrote:
Let me know if there are some specs or settings that I'm missing.

What about your video capture devices? Brand, model, settings.

- Tom
admin  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, March 21, 2017 3:20:52 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4159 time(s) in 1494 post(s)
Hi,

On a recording, DueToSourceFrameRate drops are usually due to the graphics card being unable to keep up for some reason.
The 980 Ti is certainly powerful enough, so not sure why this would be happening.

Can you confirm if the Render Time in vMix is high while recording?
I have seen on rare occasions dropped frames and high render time as a result of the graphics card not being installed in the correct slot in the PC.
This can be confirmed by checking the bus interface in the free GPU-Z software:

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

Make sure it is at least PCI-E 2.0 x8

If that doesn't help, can you confirm the number and type of inputs you were using in vMix including the capture card vendor and model?

Thanks,

Martin
vMix

thanks 1 user thanked admin for this useful post.
stigaard on 3/21/2017(UTC)
Ragnvald  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, March 21, 2017 1:41:20 PM(UTC)
Ragnvald

I use the Yuan High-Tech SC510N4 HDMI 4ch 1080p capture card + a StarTech USB 3.0 Video Capture Device on the side of that.

Could it be the capture card?

I did forget to report that many many times (probably more often than not) I get the blue screen of death when opening a previous vMix project, right after launching vMix. I have to reboot the computer and then the second time I open a vMix project, it's fine.

I also have to say that the times I record just an interview for example, with either none or very few clips in the project, just the camera sources in other words, I have not noticed the sync issue when editing the file in Premier later. This probably means that the dropped frames have not been an issue. I will have to start checking the log files more regularly after recordings to confirm if this indeed the case of not. At this point that is just my general perception.

Martin, thank you for writing back. Looks like the bus interface is PCIe x 16 3.0

UserPostedImage

I have almost always have my 5 camera inputs going. 4 HDMI inputs on the Yuan capture card (all Canon Camcorders) and 1 GoPro input on the StarTech capture card. I have usually have 4 different overlays and maybe 15 - 30 clips that I run in each show. This includes logo stingers and openers. But it varies from show to show, as we show different clips every time. In the most recent one we did, I can open the project again and count them and list them all if that will help pinpoint the issue?

But back to my initial question, can it be the frame rate of the clips I have imported that is causing this? Or a codec issue, that some clips I import use a different codec and vMix is having issues with that?

I have also noticed a few times that when I have a lot of input sources (many clips imported) I have seen that the preview windows (where I see the camera inputs) have started to skip and not give me a good frame rate. Not sure this is a warning signal or not that I have too many inputs? The processor % has still been at a good rate, usually under 20%) even though the preview sources are "skipping" so to speak.

Thanks for your help.
richardgatarski  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, March 21, 2017 2:50:40 PM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Was thanked: 292 time(s) in 246 post(s)
Ragnvald, maybe not on the spot - but

The Yuan High-Tech SC510N4 HDMI can as far as I recall it only capture up to 1080 50i (or maybe 60i - not 50p/60p).

I have also noticed that if you have an Input with this card, and no source connected, there are besides a lot of "dropped frames" (i.e. none captured at all) an extra burden on the render time. Removing the unused input helps.
Ragnvald  
#12 Posted : Saturday, March 25, 2017 2:50:35 AM(UTC)
Ragnvald

Bump!

Any one that can assist any further with this issue.

Does anyone know if clips with a different frame rate can cause dropped frames and sync issue in the recorded mp4 file?
admin  
#13 Posted : Saturday, March 25, 2017 3:21:33 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4159 time(s) in 1494 post(s)
Run a test recording and keep an eye on the "Render Time" down the bottom of vMix.
If this is consistently high (>25ms or so) then you will start to have dropped frames in the recording.

Video files with different frame rates should not impact the recording, though adding additional inputs could increase the load of the system.

If the render time is high, try removing inputs until you find the source.
I have heard of issues with older Yuan cards on XEON or X99 based systems, so the first suggestion would be to test to see if
you still have the same problem with no inputs from the Yuan card added to vMix.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Martin
vMix