logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
allegfede  
#1 Posted : Thursday, August 11, 2016 11:02:20 AM(UTC)
allegfede

Groups: Registered

At the moment i got Vmix SD running on and intel i5 with 8 GB of ram.

VGA is the embedded one on intel's cpu and i suppose that's the reason i've got 20ms of rendering (and some time stuttering) video output (on BM intensity pro) when using virtual sets (blank one).

What do you suggest: buy abetter CPU (i7) or buy a powerfull gpu (and which one in a budget system)?

thanks a lot,

Federico
Mathijs  
#2 Posted : Thursday, August 11, 2016 1:08:19 PM(UTC)
Mathijs

Was thanked: 81 time(s) in 72 post(s)
To have a sufficient GPU is important to get vMix working smoothly. Which one depends on the most important question "what do you want to do with vMix?"
How many camera inputs and what input devices are you going to use?
Which format do you want to use for your recordings?
What amount of money is budget in your case/opinion? When you compare a vMix system to a broadcast level setup when it comes to features, a high-end setup is still budget if you compare it to other systems. In most cases you would have to add a zero to the right of the figure.

The CPU is important for things like NDI, recording, multicorder and replay. What do you need of those options and what options do you need at the same time, with how many inputs?

In general my recommendation is getting a system with a 40-lane socket 2011-3 cpu with at much cores you can afford with turbo speeds around 3Ghz.
16 GB of memory, with a Geforce 970 or up and SSD storage, will give you a nice system you can ask quite a lot of.

As a budget system for 4 camera inputs, a system with a Intel Quad Core CPU with Iris Pro Graphics, will already work well without a dedicated video card, as you can see in the specs of their vMix U.

To get the best recommendation for your usage, you need to specify as good as you can what you would expect to be able to do with the system.
Bandit62  
#3 Posted : Thursday, August 11, 2016 1:13:03 PM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

Some people are misled by specs, but vMix is a GPU reliant program....I have a simple dual core PC running windows 8.1, 2 gigs of ram, and I used vMix with no issues....SD only.....I use a friend's system that is a 2 duo, 8 gigs of ram, and he uses HD version, but he has an ATI graphics card, I do not know the specs on that card, but before he put in that card, he ran vMix well...but it works much smoother with the card, and he streams and records with no issues...so, you need a good Graphics card...so i3, i5, i7, ...don't matter that much...it is the Garphics card that makes the real difference...so, get a good graphics card, and you will see the difference in performance....

mjgraves  
#4 Posted : Friday, August 12, 2016 10:46:52 AM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

Was thanked: 263 time(s) in 233 post(s)
As usual, YMMV. I think Mathijs' point is well taken. Whether CPU or GPU is more important depends upon which features you use.

I have a desktop running Windows 10 on AMD FX6100 CPU (3 core, 6 thread) with 10 GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD7400 GPU....it's running on 4 years old now. It handles my needs at 720p30...but only just.

In my case I need a faster CPU to be able to run vMix and a Hangout at the same time. I know that I can't stream and record to disk, even though my disk is an SSD.

If I were doing more layering I expect that I'd want a faster GPU.
allegfede  
#5 Posted : Friday, August 12, 2016 1:34:35 PM(UTC)
allegfede

mhh all those point of view are interesting, but now i suppose there'is some problem.

Intel i5, 8GB of ram and 3 PCTV cards for SD input (composite).
Now i equipped it with a nvidia gt 610 (2 GB of ddr5) laying around in the office.
Audio from microfone mixer is coming to integrated sound card (realtek hd).

Outputting trough an intensity pro (composite).

but i got image stuttering (not fluid on movement) and image with delay on audio of 300 ms (i think, less than half a second).

cpu less tha 5% and rendering less then 5 ms ....

For the test only 1 camera connected and 1 blanck virtual set with camera 1 keyed over a jpg image.

something strange .....

that's a test clip of that...
Mathijs  
#6 Posted : Friday, August 12, 2016 3:25:41 PM(UTC)
Mathijs

You can set the delay on your sound input settings to get your external audio in sync.

A Geforce 610 is old and the most budget range of nvidia. You need midrange as a minimum.
I would advice a 650 as minimum spec. (more than 4 times faster than a 610)
Iris Pro Graphics on-board video is still 15% faster than a GF650.
wwdv  
#7 Posted : Friday, August 12, 2016 4:43:16 PM(UTC)
wwdv

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Is a 650 fast enough for enabling the ffmpeg hardware encoder?
The 610 isn't and generates an error.
Mathijs  
#8 Posted : Friday, August 12, 2016 5:20:19 PM(UTC)
Mathijs

I cannot give you a definite "yes", because I do not own a 650.
I have a 670 in one of my systems, and that does the job fine with nvenc on two encodings at HD resolutions. A 670 is more than twice as fast as a 650.
Every 6XX card under a 650 is a re-branded card of an earlier generation. The GeForce GT 610 card is a rebranded GeForce GT 520 and has no nvenc support.
I would expect it is no problem, especially at SD resolutions.
IceStream  
#9 Posted : Friday, August 12, 2016 6:57:56 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
I thought hardware encoding required 750 or better???

Ice
Mathijs  
#10 Posted : Friday, August 12, 2016 7:05:41 PM(UTC)
Mathijs

It's supported from Kepler architecture and up, so GF 650 is the oldest card supporting it.
wwdv  
#11 Posted : Saturday, August 13, 2016 8:41:37 AM(UTC)
wwdv

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 15 post(s)
The Gainward GeForce GT 740 2GB DDR3 is cheaper than the GTX 650 and takes only one slot. (like the GT610)

The GTX 750 Ti is also available as 1 slot model (KFA2 GeForce GTX750 Ti Razor).
edit: unfortunately no longer available, but the 740 single slot still is.

I replaced my GT610 by a Radeon HD7750, but not any improvement in latency (4x SD input)

Mathijs  
#12 Posted : Saturday, August 13, 2016 10:40:39 AM(UTC)
Mathijs

Sure, if they have to buy a card, I would also get a newer series. TBH, I would not buy less than a 4GB 960 myself.
allegfede  
#13 Posted : Saturday, August 13, 2016 1:11:05 PM(UTC)
allegfede

all shops closed for national holydays and do not whant to spend for a card that is not the keypoint.

swapped the gt610 with my own (my pc) gtx 560 t1 ..... nothing changes.

So starting point for vmix to run fluid is from gt 650 and up?

Could be an incompatibility issue with pctv analog capture cards?

I also noticed that the stuttering on orizzontal movements comes some times and some times not .... cpu always down at less than 10% and rendering down than 10ms ....

head bump .....
SportsNetUSA.net  
#14 Posted : Saturday, August 13, 2016 3:26:17 PM(UTC)
SportsNetUSA.net

Was thanked: 123 time(s) in 115 post(s)
What i5 processor is in your system?

I've got a system (i7 2600K, 8GB) with a GeForce GTX 610 and have used up to 3 720p sources without issues.
Peter B  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, August 17, 2016 6:29:13 PM(UTC)
Peter B

Man

Was thanked: 38 time(s) in 36 post(s)
Slightly off topic but I use GPUz to monitor the gpu load.
Does anyone have a better app for this ?

This may help you see what's going on.
sinc747  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, August 17, 2016 8:07:57 PM(UTC)
sinc747

Man
United States

Was thanked: 195 time(s) in 161 post(s)
For definitive answers on what GPU to select and how it would perform, don't re-invent the wheel. Instead see what the experts at vMix have to say: http://www.vmix.com/soft.../supported-hardware.aspx

- Tom
allegfede  
#17 Posted : Thursday, August 18, 2016 6:21:53 AM(UTC)
allegfede

sinc747 wrote:
For definitive answers on what GPU to select and how it would perform, don't re-invent the wheel. Instead see what the experts at vMix have to say: http://www.vmix.com/soft.../supported-hardware.aspx

- Tom

I know, But the problem come after the main switch di ed (newtek video toaster 5) and i had (in hurry) To find a rapid solution.

I had To assemblea the vmix system from what i had in house and after that try To tune it for better performance.

By the way the i5 is the i5-3470.

I manager only SD content (1/4 of raw data than a HD content ...) But i also need To do Live not streaming so i cannot have output images stuttering and wanna understand if there is a solution.

Paying 2000 bucks for the pc platform + capture cards and 1000 bucks for vmix ultimate and have stuttering images is not an option.
Bandit62  
#18 Posted : Thursday, August 18, 2016 7:26:56 AM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

allegfede wrote:
mhh all those point of view are interesting, but now i suppose there'is some problem.

Intel i5, 8GB of ram and 3 PCTV cards for SD input (composite).
Now i equipped it with a nvidia gt 610 (2 GB of ddr5) laying around in the office.
Audio from microfone mixer is coming to integrated sound card (realtek hd).

Outputting trough an intensity pro (composite).

but i got image stuttering (not fluid on movement) and image with delay on audio of 300 ms (i think, less than half a second).

cpu less tha 5% and rendering less then 5 ms ....

For the test only 1 camera connected and 1 blanck virtual set with camera 1 keyed over a jpg image.

something strange .....

that's a test clip of that...

I looked at the video....it is jerky, and for what you did, it should be much better.....maybe the drivers for the PCTV cards need updating, ......try removing 2 of the cards, and try them one by one, just in case there is one that is giving problems, or maybe they do not preform well together....I have in a system, an Osprey 440 four input card, and so far, I do not have any issues......I also used 3 capture dongles, no problems...and my system is just a core 2 with 2 gigs of ram....so try using one card at a time, and add to see if one of your cards is not working well.....
richardgatarski  
#19 Posted : Thursday, August 18, 2016 10:34:11 AM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Was thanked: 292 time(s) in 246 post(s)
To begin with it seems you are using the External output in vMix and sends to you Intensity Pro for SD output. External adds rendering time (means relatively much latency) and uses CPU power.

Have you tried using the fullscreen instead. First try and attach a regular monitor to a free output on you graphics card. Click the Fullscreen button on (green) and see if you get stuttering there. If that works I suggest you buy a cheap converter (from VGA, DVI, or HDMI depending on what you use for Fullscreen) to SD (for the analog connection you have).
thanks 1 user thanked richardgatarski for this useful post.
allegfede on 8/18/2016(UTC)
allegfede  
#20 Posted : Thursday, August 18, 2016 12:26:59 PM(UTC)
allegfede

richardgatarski wrote:
To begin with it seems you are using the External output in vMix and sends to you Intensity Pro for SD output. External adds rendering time (means relatively much latency) and uses CPU power.

Have you tried using the fullscreen instead. First try and attach a regular monitor to a free output on you graphics card. Click the Fullscreen button on (green) and see if you get stuttering there. If that works I suggest you buy a cheap converter (from VGA, DVI, or HDMI depending on what you use for Fullscreen) to SD (for the analog connection you have).

it's an idea i was thinking about ....

2nd monitor for the studio feedback and local recording ..... it's definitly a good point.

Today i got my gtx 960 (asus strix) and seems a little beter performing.
Also i messed with the pctv drivers but cannot replace the "generic" bt868 drivers (maybe because one of the3 cards is a chinese pctv clone).

but at the moment seems i got the delay on external, but no gerky output.

yes external was a need because we made some shows LIVE on TV and the encoder needs svhs video (in the future i plan to connect dvb encoder and main studio with an IP link ).

thanks for the help.

Federico