logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
richardgatarski  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, April 19, 2016 5:41:14 AM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 292 time(s) in 246 post(s)
When adding an NDI Input, the name of the sources from vMix running on another PC does not acknowledge if the Input's name has been changed.
mjgraves  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, April 19, 2016 1:51:05 PM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

Was thanked: 263 time(s) in 233 post(s)
+1
tnorrell  
#3 Posted : Thursday, April 21, 2016 12:36:37 PM(UTC)
tnorrell

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 10 post(s)
I haven't tested this yet, so I want to clarify what you are saying.

You're suggesting that if you rename the source on the host/source machine, that the re-name should be honored at the client/reciever host? Or are you suggesting that the rename on the client be honored on the host?

I wouldn't be comfortable with one of my on-site tech's renaming an interface and it changing the designation on my system. If automatic rename is going to be a feature, I would like to suggest that there be a checkbox to allow it or not.

I think in a perfect world there would be a 'global' option that would allow/deny this feature for all the inputs on this (local) machine, but then a 'per input' option that would all the global option to be overridden.

Just to overstate my perspective, i believe that enabling the automatic renaming of inputs based on updates from another system could be a problem. (think security)
richardgatarski  
#4 Posted : Thursday, April 21, 2016 1:22:56 PM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Was thanked: 292 time(s) in 246 post(s)
Let's say I add a Camera Input, and vMix names it "HD Webcam" (from the device driver's info).
I then change the name in vMix to "Cam1", which is what is displayed in vMix (small) preview monitor,

If I turn on the NDI settings in vMix to Output "Cameras / Audio outputs" that camera is recognized as the NDI source "HD Webcam". But I want it to be recognized on other PCs as the name I decided to use. Or at least be able to optionally select if default or user defined names should be used when vMix outputs to NDI.

Hope that clarifies. And I see no security problems here...
EDIT: I am not asking that vMix should be able to rename NDI devices on other systems.