logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
GeorgeR  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, December 29, 2015 12:57:27 PM(UTC)
GeorgeR

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 30 time(s) in 28 post(s)
Haven't found much on how routers might affect streaming quality. I recently upgraded from an "N" router to a "AC" router (ASUS RT-AC5300). Just wondering what the vMix community's thoughts are about the upgrade; any benefit?
(NOTE:Current internet upload speed 10-12 Mbps)
Thanks,
~George
jpeg2RAW  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, December 29, 2015 7:12:17 PM(UTC)
jpeg2RAW

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
To be honest, I am not a fan of any "store bought" router. I much prefer pfSense on some older hardware. I run mine on an old AMD dual core machine with 4GB of ram and even when both the upload and download (100down, but only 5up) are completely saturated, the CPU usage never goes above 10%. Much more powerful than what you can buy in the store.

Also, not a fan of streaming over wifi, regardless of the router.
thanks 1 user thanked jpeg2RAW for this useful post.
mjgraves on 12/31/2015(UTC)
GeorgeR  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, December 29, 2015 7:57:00 PM(UTC)
GeorgeR

Man

Computers are wired off of the router although I have live streamed via wifi on occasion when doing a remote with great success.
The dual core CPU in the new AC router barley budges. RAM about a third.
Have a friend who built his own router. He used Clear OS (I believe that's the name).
~George
Ittaidv  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, December 30, 2015 12:12:20 PM(UTC)
Ittaidv

Man
Belgium

Was thanked: 91 time(s) in 75 post(s)
We never use wifi. In the case we cannot acces the router easily, we use ubiquity nanostations to bridge the distance. We always ask up front to make sure acces to the router is clear, and an IT administrator has made sure all ports are open for us. Otherwise we don't stream. If possible, we pass by a few days before the event to do a few speedtests as well.

Wifi is never stable, and you can only test it when there are no people yet. If it performs differently when people arrive at the event, you're screwed and clients will think your service is not reliable.

MartinJudkins  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, December 30, 2015 4:03:30 PM(UTC)
MartinJudkins

Man
Netherlands

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Ittaidv wrote:
We never use wifi. In the case we cannot acces the router easily, we use ubiquity nanostations to bridge the distance. We always ask up front to make sure acces to the router is clear, and an IT administrator has made sure all ports are open for us. Otherwise we don't stream. If possible, we pass by a few days before the event to do a few speedtests as well.

Wifi is never stable, and you can only test it when there are no people yet. If it performs differently when people arrive at the event, you're screwed and clients will think your service is not reliable.

Do you know which ports do you have to make sure are open?
Martin
GeorgeR  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, December 30, 2015 4:12:02 PM(UTC)
GeorgeR

Man

Ittaidv wrote:

Greetings Ittaidv,

I have used a non-wired computer for remote broadcasts several times over the years. I use is a Verizon Mini-Wifi or the hotspot off my phone. I have even used the hotspot in the studio on occasion due to internet issues.
This past summer we broadcast from the local park using a Verizon Mini-Wifi. We had a roving reporter Skyping into us into at our booth. At our booth, we used vMix, two computers and a Mini Wifi to capture and broadcast everything live.
Here's the YouTube link if you'd like to have a look

Cheers,
~George