logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
matiouz  
#1 Posted : Friday, November 20, 2015 8:26:37 PM(UTC)
matiouz

Groups: Registered

Hi all ,
i'm totally new to Vmix , and even new to pc world .
that's why i'm quite unsure , if the PC (and its pcie/usb3 cards) i'm going to build , should be ok .
thanks in advance for your help .

We 're a small team (2 guies) , trying to get a solid set-up , that would run 3 days on a big event (retro-gaming oriented) .
No fails allowed , we'll be streaming on the web , displaying on a 10mx6m big screen on stage , and provide content to some other streamers ,
all at the same time , from the same PC .
(well , streaming will be achieved on an other PC , that will also record in local)

We want to get rid of hiring Blackmagic ATEM , converters , ... to produce our content ,
and buy a replacement system .
We , sure , will save money , doing so .

The PC would consist in :
#MotherBoard : Gigabyte GA-Z97X-GAMING GT (+ SSD + 32Gb Ram )
#processor : Intel Core i7-4790K (4.0 GHz)
#GPU : MSI GeForce GTX 980 TI GAMING 6G
#video capture :
☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠ EDIT : DON'T BUY OR USE THE XCAPTURE FROM MICOMSOFT ITS DRIVER WILL MESS YOUR CPU !!!!!!!! ☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠
----Micomsoft xcapture USB3
( http://sixfortyfive.com/streaming/xcapture1.html )
this capture card is perfect for retrogaming (arcade , old consoles , ...) already tested , i know it works very good .
it will be tested this week-end with Vmix (on an older pc on which we were using Xsplit , flawlessly working ...)
☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠ EDIT : DON'T BUY OR USE THE XCAPTURE FROM MICOMSOFT ITS DRIVER WILL MESS YOUR CPU !!!!!!!! ☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠
---Micomsoft xcapture PCIE
( just the same as the USB3 , but on internal pcie slot )
----BlackMagic Declink quad 2
it will capture the 4 cameras , and it would have 4 outputs available ( as "external " in Vmix , so 2 outs maximum , that's right ? )
We would like it to be configured as a 5 inputs , 3 outputs capture card .

So , we would like to capture videogames on the Xcapture cards (have you seen the red advices ?) .
One of the 2 would have to always capture a videostream that we would need to be output on one of the decklink quad's outputs .
This would have to be permanent (this stream comes from arcades , we have to rescale it to standard 1080p/24,97fps , and send it to other streamers , next to us ,
but who can't get the raw signal of these arcades in their laptops ( we experienced this several times , always ended using an expensive scaler just for them ) .

We would , at the same time , have to mix the 4 cameras (decklink inputs) , with the other Xcapture card 's input (consoles,computers,...)
in order to produce our main content , the one we will be streaming .

We want to use 4 monitors ( 1 preview of all the inputs , 1 program view , 1 desktop view(Vmix software) , 1 spare monitor for various desktop tasks )
these monitors would come out from the GTX980 .

eventually , we would use 1 other output from the decklink 's available outputs ,
to output one of the inputs , straight .

I hope i' m quite clear on our intentions .

What do you think ?
Does all this seem to be possible ?

one other PC newbie question .
Do you think we also could use (if needed) , the video outputs of the motherboard ,
or will it be unavailable , as we'll be using the GTX980 ?

So ,
hi everybody , thanks for your remarks .

Matthieu

jhebbel  
#2 Posted : Friday, November 20, 2015 9:41:14 PM(UTC)
jhebbel

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 14 post(s)
You aren't storing textures like you would if you were gaming, so a GPU with a lot of ram is not necessary, the Titanium card yells overkill to me. Eyefinity cards have always been a favorite of mine in production computers because the 6 display port outputs leave me with plenty of connectors to hook up extra screens. http://www.newegg.com/Pr...6-_-14-129-262-_-Product is among my favorites.
thanks 1 user thanked jhebbel for this useful post.
matiouz on 11/20/2015(UTC)
Speegs  
#3 Posted : Friday, November 20, 2015 9:51:19 PM(UTC)
Speegs

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 58 post(s)
Hello,

Quite a good plan.

I would use Magewell Capture devices rather than BM, because I love Magewell, trust them and they have inbuilt scaling so can pretty much handle most oddball video resolutions I've encountered (never captured games) and make them conform to what you want :)

If you must use a BM Card for a "straight" out, I guess that has merit. I never send "out" anything but video cards in my adventures so far.

The XCapture might be great never used one looks to be pretty good at game capture from the info you posted.

CPU is good, Motherboard is nice, but I would see if you could get one with thunderbolt 2 ports as well. You may not need them today. Tomorrow you want to move a large file REALLY fast, or get some 4K external capture device into your computer you might well use them for further expansion.

Not a fan of MSI video cards, but hey it's a GTX 980 and that's the main thing. I tend to use a Gigabyte Card with a Gigabyte motherboard "if not too difficult". Using the assumption that it would be better tested. I also try and use Asus Nvidia Cards with Asus motherboards. So call me crazy, but seems to work out for me in the long run. Price is usually not much different. I don't like MSI because I've had bad experiences with them be it 10 years ago so maybe they are better now.

Most of the above are just my opinions take them or leave them. I have reasons, but reasons I have based on my experiences and needs. Plus good luck with hardware x over y can also be a factor :)

thanks 1 user thanked Speegs for this useful post.
matiouz on 11/20/2015(UTC)
matiouz  
#4 Posted : Friday, November 20, 2015 10:38:07 PM(UTC)
matiouz

thanks a lot guies !

a quick look on the Magewell Pro Capture Quad SDI seems promising .
i have some unsure doubts about BM capture cards . I have often seen , or read , issues with black screens / no signal ....
but it was not on a pcie card , mostly on hardware that needed "exact same input settings" , the good old BM disapointement .
This seems not to be the case at all , on the decklink 2 , so i ' m starting to feel different about BM .
i am quite seduced by the I/O modularity of the Decklink quad 2 ,
but hardware scaling/cropping/... ability , it feels like a real + .
also ,on the magewell quad sdi page , it says :
" Unlimited output streams for any one input channel "
does it have to do with its ability to send the video to several softwares at the same time ? (for example Vmix and Xsplit at the same time)
wouldn't the decklink be able to do so ?
if only the Magewell can , it feels like a real other + + .
one last thing , about the decklink 2 :
it hasn't been released yet !!!! and it seems to be announced since some time now
like a smell of unsolved last minute problems , not yet , yet , yet , fixed (I/O modularity issues ? ...)

If we were to use an eyefinity (6 outputs is really interesting for us ) ,
we wouldn't really need the extra outputs on the decklink ,
and could go on the Magewell , if it has all these advantages .
also , we wouldn't need extra SDI to HDMI converters , but only DP to HDMI adapters , wayyy cheaper .
has anybody tried cheap SDI to HDMI converters , like this one ? http://www.amazon.fr/dp/...&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=
there seems to be a bunch of different brands , but i don't feel good with them , never tried ...

I still miss to know if i could even use 1 or 2 motherboard video outputs .
if it was possible , we would definitely not need the extra outputs offered by the decklink .
i feel it's not ...

adding a second graphic card (non sli) could extend our video outputs options ?

again ,
thanks a lot guies ,

Matthieu

r@wisla  
#5 Posted : Saturday, November 21, 2015 3:22:51 AM(UTC)
r@wisla

Man

Was thanked: 40 time(s) in 37 post(s)
matiouz wrote:

has anybody tried cheap SDI to HDMI converters , like this one ? http://www.amazon.fr/dp/...&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=

I use 3 hdmi to sdi and one sdi to hdmi
Like this one http://www.amazon.fr/Por...-3&keywords=Sdi+hdmi
No problems. All are working fine.
My colleague bought 5 of them and 1 broke after 3 weeks. But it's so cheap you can buy 1 or 2 more then you need :)
thanks 1 user thanked r@wisla for this useful post.
matiouz on 11/21/2015(UTC)
jhebbel  
#6 Posted : Saturday, November 21, 2015 10:18:32 AM(UTC)
jhebbel

I have always been weary of HDMI <-> HDSDI because of the constant strict handshake HDMI likes to enforce and any hiccup in communication can break the handshake and require device power cycles. If the issue is sending HDMI over a long distance I would try HDMI over CAT5 which does not convert the signal, just adapts the connectors, otherwise make sure to get high quality SDI converters if you decide to go that route, avoid the cheap $15 chinese ones.
matiouz  
#7 Posted : Saturday, November 21, 2015 10:48:22 AM(UTC)
matiouz

Hi Jhebbel ,

i really think that the eyefinity seems to be a really good option .
so we wouldn't need SDI/HDMI converters , as all our cameras will output SDI .
and as , out of the PC , we only have to provide HDMI based streams .

I think you're wrong about the CAT5 extenders .
I have been using a lot of them (Krammer , Geffen ,Atlona , cheap ones , over 2 CAT5 cables , or just one )
they are not simple connector adapters (that's why at least one ot them , receiver or sender , always need a power supply , when not both ) .
if it was the case , we could use cheap hdmi cables , along , let's say , 20 or 30 meters .
it's not the case , it has to be strong , expensive , cables , in order to go these distances (and i definitely prefer this solution , we rent them ) .
i have opened several extenders , they always have chipsets , some electronics inside .

our video gear provider (big beamer , led walls , ...) is loaded with a big amount of BM converters ,
i think the solution will be to rent them if needed , that cost will be drowned in the rest of the bill .
As we can't really risk anything , i think i will rely on "professional" ones , as you suggest .

but i sure will give a try , in other situations , to the cheaper ones .

Thanks again , everybody ,

Matthieu

Speegs  
#8 Posted : Saturday, November 21, 2015 6:46:42 PM(UTC)
Speegs

jhebbel wrote:
I have always been weary of HDMI <-> HDSDI because of the constant strict handshake HDMI likes to enforce and any hiccup in communication can break the handshake and require device power cycles. If the issue is sending HDMI over a long distance I would try HDMI over CAT5 which does not convert the signal, just adapts the connectors, otherwise make sure to get high quality SDI converters if you decide to go that route, avoid the cheap $15 chinese ones.

I've found the opposite to be true. HDMI over Cat5 for me has been unreliable. Mostly when distances are over 25m.

These ones have worked for me: http://www.ebay.com.au/i...geName=ADME:L:OC:AU:3160

No brand name. $59 AUD. Actually works better than my $300 AUD Black Magic converter that refuses to do 60fps 1080. Whereas these cheapo ones do it.

As someone else suggested, you can afford to buy a couple more when you go cheap. Anything can blow up, so use those savings for a few extra. I have had 0 of these blow up :)

Sometimes cheap chinese ones are not bad at all, but I do suggest buying one, trying with the equipment you want to use then buying more if you are happy.

Speegs  
#9 Posted : Saturday, November 21, 2015 7:24:39 PM(UTC)
Speegs

Another technology for sending HDMI over Distance, which I found to be completely reliable is HDBaseT. It's different for a normal extender and yes a little more expensive for sure.

I have 4 sets of these:

https://www.adigitalife....ry=hdbaset&results=4

Was lucky enough because the company is local, he said if I was not 100% satisfied he would take them back. I wouldn't give them back and bought 3 more :) So these are my go to long distance HDMI to HDMI device.

I first saw HDBaseT on the back of a huge Hitachi Projector we use. Wanted to try it and when I saw them yes indeed I just needed the sender Unit and the projector would "receive" no problem.

This was on a 80m cable run, not new cable or special just cat5e and no issues for about 1-2 years now.

Long distances SDI is great, you can also find boosters and amplifiers for over 100m runs on SDI without too much issue. Look for security stuff, it's cheaper and well works just fine. If it says it does 1080p60 (3GSDI) on the specs that is a great place to start. I don't trust anything until I have tested it. I test them for days in my office between events with a large roll of cable and putting joiners and things in the middle to try and stuff it up so I see what it can REALLY do.

I've been buying SDI Cameras and SDI Capture devices recently, then no need for a converter and the best way to do. The converters however really helped in the transition to SDI and still help because although I much prefer SDI sources it's not always an option.

I have tight budgets and well SDI was beyond the budget, but since security industry have really been using 3G SDI more often, there have been more products available at reasonable prices.

Now when I say "reliable" I stream 8+ hours per day for 2-3 weeks. I don't like sparkles, frame drops and headaches where it worked yesterday and then stopped overnight. I have another 8+ hours of work so REALLY hate stuffing around with cables because something is not quite right :)

My environment has a lot of dust from the stables, isn't indoor, but is undercover and is also surrounded by salt water. So pretty harsh really :) I'm not a guru, just someone who has spent numerous hours finding what worked for me. Maybe in a nicer environment the results would be different.

When using Cat5e on long runs exposed to the elements (and pests), try and go for the more expensive flooded shielded cat5e also called gel filled or direct burial. If indoors and not a harsh environment most normal cat5e is ok. For SDI, mostly using RG 59 Quad-Shielded Cable or RG6 have not seen much difference between the two, but heaps of debate on the internet which is better.

The SDI cable is really tough already :) Guess that is why security camera industry uses it.
thanks 1 user thanked Speegs for this useful post.
matiouz on 11/22/2015(UTC)
matiouz  
#10 Posted : Sunday, November 22, 2015 11:43:21 AM(UTC)
matiouz

Hi ,
thanks to everyone here , it's very nice to get this help from experimented vmix users .

We're facing quite a dilemn .
We would like to run a Nvidia graphic card , in order to get benefits from Nvenc .
we could need it , if we have to encode , in emergency case , from this same PC .

Question :

If we run a gtx980 , and use its 4 outputs .
are we able to use a BM decklink (let's say a decklink mini monitor) ,
to output a fifth video signal ?

I'm confused , if using a GPU , allows (or not) any other video output .

if not , maybe another solution would be that one of the GPU outputs would be 3840x1080p ,
and we would use a hardware "screen divider" , that would output 2x 1920x1080p screens .
some years ago , i bought a ZOTAC one (http://www.amazon.fr/Zotac-Adaptateur-DisplayPort-compatible-résolution/dp/B005FSHHBW)
that worked quite well on a mac .
this product seems discontinued , and i think there has been problems with it on PC , but i can't remember .
(this would be quite surprising , as it is supposed to be quite a "passive accessory" , like if it was a 3840x1080 monitor .
Maybe there is another similar product , now ?

So , the main question is :
Can i add a video output , to the 4 already existing ones on the GPU (motherboard ,decklink as an output , ...)

Matthieu
jhebbel  
#11 Posted : Sunday, November 22, 2015 11:55:18 AM(UTC)
jhebbel

I have a older BM card that has monitor out functionality, and the output never shows in windows as an actual display, it only shows in software specifically designed to work with the BM card like Adobe Premiere Pro and Sony Vegas Pro, again I had an older card though so not sure if this still holds true. Encoding on the same PC as you are using to run vMix from shouldnt be an issue with any modern computer, especially one with an i7. True you wouldn't be able to dump it off on the GPU if you got an AMD/ATI card (for now, this may change as the feature is still beta), but with an i7 it's not that big of an issue anyway. I have a quad core early version i5 and I can encode 1080p youtube, 720p ustream, and record 1080p local with no issues without offloading encoding to the GPU. Also if you want a rock solid setup i'd hold off on enabling the GPU encoding anyway, my understanding is it is still early in its development phase and not 100% reliable yet.
matiouz  
#12 Posted : Sunday, November 22, 2015 1:31:25 PM(UTC)
matiouz

that's a very interesting remark .

something must have gone bad in our today test (i'm not near the computer , my collegue is, we're in touch by phone and mails) .

today's test was :

PC:
-I7490k
-GTX 970 4Gb
-8Gb DDR3

Video Sources :
-2 webcams 1080p 60fps
-2 videocaptures 1080p 60fps from consoles (via 1 USB3-xcapture card , and an USB3-avermedia extremecap u3 )

Vmix launched , no recording / no streaming --> 33% cpu charge .

local recording + streaming :
CODEC FFMPEG MP4 H264 1080p60, 10Mbps
#with Nvenc --> 46% cpu charge
#X264 --> 100% cpu charge displaying inputs stuttering

That shouldn't be the case , i wasn't even realising it !
not for 1 stream and 1 local rec .

So , i think h264 is not faulty , 60fps shouldn't .
My friend is trying to find .

if you have any suggestions ...
Is there any important settings to tweak in Vmix , in order to optimize what could lead us to that "disaster" ?
Of course , hard to know , without being in front of the PC , and with so few infos ...
We're running the Vmix demo , supposed to be the same as the validated one , isn't it ?

33% with only 4 inputs , only displayed (no FX , no nothing) ,
there 's already a problem there , i' m sarting to think .

Matthieu
r@wisla  
#13 Posted : Sunday, November 22, 2015 3:25:21 PM(UTC)
r@wisla

Man

USB webcams are usually CPU hungry.
thanks 1 user thanked r@wisla for this useful post.
matiouz  
#14 Posted : Sunday, November 22, 2015 3:33:10 PM(UTC)
matiouz

good to know ! ,
but , well , that much ?
jhebbel  
#15 Posted : Sunday, November 22, 2015 4:08:19 PM(UTC)
jhebbel

At 1080p/60 absolutely! If you really need 60fps I would look into using a separate h.264 encoder or go with all HDMI/HD-SDI video sources. I think 920 webcams support onboard h.264, try using that in the video source when adding the webcam input.
matiouz  
#16 Posted : Sunday, November 22, 2015 4:30:05 PM(UTC)
matiouz

well , yes ,
in videogames , 60fps is quite a standard now .
not really in retro-gaming , but in international versus fighting tournaments , and indie games demonstrations , yes .
better 720p60fps than 1080p30fps , for example, sometimes .
And we have to stream this kind of content , mixed with 4 cameras .
But we want , with that computer , to do 60 fps .
today's usb webcams was only for a test (we rent SDI cameras during the event (after previous tests of course) .

we , for this event , will use another computer , in order to stream and record locally .
we'll use our "old" PC , which will only do that .

so , 33% of cpu load doesn't shock you , if we're doing 1080p60fps (without encoding) ?

we have just remembered that "old" BM decklink mini monitor (like decklink quad "1" ) ,
could only run at 1080i60fps , not 1080p60fps , with usb webcams .
And Declinkquad 2 , which will be able to (supposed to be) , is still not available , ...
any suggestion on another pci based SDI video out , that would go 1080p60fps ?

sorry , i ask many questions .

again , thanks a lot !

Matthieu

jhebbel  
#17 Posted : Sunday, November 22, 2015 5:36:39 PM(UTC)
jhebbel

1080p/60 is completely logical for capturing game streams, but why do you need your webcams to run at 1080p/60? also did you try using the h.264 format for the webcams?
r@wisla  
#18 Posted : Sunday, November 22, 2015 5:39:27 PM(UTC)
r@wisla

Man

matiouz wrote:
any suggestion on another pci based SDI video out , that would go 1080p60fps ?

Pricy ones, but... AJA Kona 4 or AJA Kona 3g
jhebbel  
#19 Posted : Sunday, November 22, 2015 5:49:29 PM(UTC)
jhebbel

Why does it have to be SDI? Would HDMI not suit your needs? And PCI is a fairly old interface, not much bandwidth to work with there which may be why its hard to find such a card.
matiouz  
#20 Posted : Sunday, November 22, 2015 6:07:10 PM(UTC)
matiouz

sorry , i was meaning PCIe !

an SDI out because we don't have any SDI out , for the moment .
this could be useful in some situations , that may appear ,
like a far away from us streamer who would need some content .
we would just need a cable , no extender .

we did the cameras at 60fps , just in order to push the system .
we will capture cameras at 30fps during the event (and they will be SDI based) .

I 'm not so surprised , now , with that 33% cpu , doing nothing ,
i wasn't that much aware of the heavy-cpu consuming particularity of usb webcams (without onboard h264).
it probably explains our problem , in addition to the un-necesary 60 fps setting for them .
We'll try again with the same webcams tomorrow (a small event ,and we only have these cameras , for now) .
We'll set them at 30 fps , and see how much difference it will do .

Matthieu