logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
micron  
#1 Posted : Monday, October 22, 2012 10:04:49 AM(UTC)
micron

Groups: Registered

How does the external output option work?

Can I connect a dvd recorder and record to dvd? Or even create a file that can be recorded to DVD?

I have Pinnacle studio 15 Ultimate. Can external output option send the stream to that program.

The documentation doesn't give much details
mh166  
#2 Posted : Monday, October 22, 2012 12:23:49 PM(UTC)
mh166

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Please refer to the help pages prior to asking questions here.

• External Output
    Quote:
    Select this option to render output to the vMix Video device when External Output is running.
    vMix Video is a device that appears in streaming programs such as Adobe Flash Media Live Encoder and online streaming services such as UStream

• Live Streaming
thanks 1 user thanked mh166 for this useful post.
micron on 10/23/2012(UTC)
ali  
#3 Posted : Monday, October 22, 2012 12:56:38 PM(UTC)
ali

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Hi Micron,
There are two options
A Vmix Video
A Decklink renderer
If you have installed a decklink card like (intensity pro, studio, duo, quad..) you can have analogue(composite,component,..) and HDMI outputs (even HD/SD SDI ). Once you determine your format for recording (SD, HD, NTSC, PAL,,) and the appropriate frame rate per second, then you can proceed to output a video signal from Vmix through Declink to any recording or viewing device you desire, it is as simple as just plugging the OUTs to the INs.
As for the Vmix video it will output the VMIX final result to software’s like adobe flash live encoder or to a directshow enabled software ( I tested wirecast and the output appears directly in the input devices).
You always and simultaneously have the option to record directly to disk and afterwards you can burn it to DVD.
Hope you’ll find this helpful,
Regards,
Ali
thanks 1 user thanked ali for this useful post.
micron  
#4 Posted : Monday, October 22, 2012 2:33:24 PM(UTC)
micron

Hi ali,
Thank your for the thoughtful response. I checked the documents before asking.
Your last statement sounds like what I want to do.

I want to create a video that I can instantly burn to dvd using a dvd burning software.
If you dont mind what are all the setting I should configure in vmix to get the best possible output?
My camera is capable of at least 1080i. I am not interested in recording HD.
micron  
#5 Posted : Monday, October 22, 2012 10:01:17 PM(UTC)
micron

How do I add mpeg-2 codecs to vMix?
ali  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, October 23, 2012 5:51:02 AM(UTC)
ali

Mpeg-2 is natively supported by vmix, you just want to define the bit rate (8 is recommended for SD, 25 for HD).
In the recording window go to the MPEG tab where you can configure the output.
Stick to progressive inputs instead of 1080i go with 720P even if your final out-put is 576p with this you will have a better image quality (Vmix has de-interlacing option if you want to go for 1080i).
And for a faster workflow (if you have a decklink card installed) get a DVD recording deck, hook it to the decklink output and just press record that way at the end of your session you will have a burned DVD copy and a digital mpeg copy on your hard drive for archiving or editing or what-have-u.
hope this helps, if not just ask again :).
Regards,

Ali
thanks 1 user thanked ali for this useful post.
micron  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, October 23, 2012 11:01:13 AM(UTC)
micron

Ali, from all the forums I have posted in, you give the best and most helpful replies. All the other "experts" seem to only want to talk down to me. Thank you.

If you have to time will you please check this thread from time to time? I have a project for a charity due by Wednesday for a live event and I will be testing all day.
ali  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, October 23, 2012 11:46:22 AM(UTC)
ali

Sure,
Good luck on your project,

Ali
IceStream  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, October 23, 2012 11:34:40 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
This is something I would like to do as well, but I am having trouble routing the audio to the BM Intensity Pro analog out...
Any advice on how to accomplish this?
ali  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, October 24, 2012 4:23:05 AM(UTC)
ali

Go to Settings > External Output, check the Declink Renderer tick box, Choose your video system and output size, choose decklink video render for device, choose port as in HDMI or component or...
Now for Audio Device choose DirectSound: Speakers(blackmagic Audio)
Input Audio Device choose none..
Go to control Panel > Sound and choose blackmagic audio as the default device.
That is it, now close the settings window and just hit the External start button and your are ready to go,
If this doesn't work please check your RCA cables or equivalent and let me know how it goes,
Regards,

Ali
micron  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, October 24, 2012 8:07:49 AM(UTC)
micron

Icestream, for me BM has been unreliable in vMix, even using the analog connections. I would look into using a separate audio device (not the one provided by the motherboard)

Something like a Behringer UCA222. That way all your audio in/out is separate from BM. You use the same steps Ali described but in vMix you would not choose BM as the audio output. (or input)
ali  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, October 24, 2012 12:46:42 PM(UTC)
ali

I'm facing no problems with the BM audio, I simply use it as my default audio device and it is running flawlessly.
Keep in mind that you need a free card with no input running through it.
I just did a fast test it is running great (tested Intensity pro, Eclipse and Studio)

Note: Micron, check if your drivers are up-to-date and similar tasks, try running any song or what have-u with your default sound as BM if you are facing problems then it might be a system un-compatibility or a fault in your BM card.
My two cents :).

Regards,

Ali
micron  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, October 24, 2012 3:13:49 PM(UTC)
micron

Ok I will try that. At this time I will be using a professional Mackie audio mixer with usb connector. It takes care of all the sound.
micron  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, October 24, 2012 9:12:08 PM(UTC)
micron

One thread mentions there is a way to add codecs to vMix. Can anyone find that thread or describe how?
micron  
#15 Posted : Thursday, October 25, 2012 12:45:42 AM(UTC)
micron

Ok I am going with mpeg2 recording. My camera outputs 1080i.

There are two deinterlacing options: one when choosing a video source, and one under the settings menu. Should I set both on?

More importantly, what resolution should I record in? 1280 x 720 seems to produce a file size equal to 1 hour per dvd at 8bits.

Unless I burn a bunch of sample dvds, I have no idea how the result will be shaped because the preview is always the same. Everything is previewed in a pillbox.
ali  
#16 Posted : Thursday, October 25, 2012 2:17:28 AM(UTC)
ali

You can find HD codecs by cineform (http://cineform.com/)..Just install their free GOPRO software and with it the cineform codec will be installed.
You will find them available in VMIX under the recording window in the AVI tab codec section.

About the mpeg2 recording,, If you are planning to burn normal DVDs so ur resolution should be D1 pal or NTSC (720x576pal 25FPS or 720x486ntsc 29.97FPS)
If your planning to burn BLUERAY DVDs then a resolution of 720 or 1080 is required.

If your camera support 1080i then it should support 720p, my advice is to go for the default progressive and no deinterlacing, unless you want to burn fullHD DVDs so ur camera should be on 1080i and in the input general tab use the deinterlacing tick box.

hope this help,

Ali
IceStream  
#17 Posted : Thursday, October 25, 2012 11:58:45 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
Update...
Got the latest drivers from BM site and it seems to have cured my issue. Video and Audio out of Intensity Pro look and sound great!
micron  
#18 Posted : Tuesday, October 30, 2012 11:37:46 AM(UTC)
micron

No matter which setting I use, vMix will only record in wide screen. I want to record 4:3 without the bars on the top and bottom.

Could it be that BM intensity pro card is receiving a 1080i signal?
geniusweb  
#19 Posted : Sunday, September 27, 2015 5:01:17 AM(UTC)
geniusweb

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
So if I would like to to external renderer to send output from vmix to teradek cube, I need to place intensity shuttle for example, in between them?
momolo  
#20 Posted : Tuesday, December 6, 2016 1:02:00 AM(UTC)
momolo

ali wrote:

There are two options
A Vmix Video
A Decklink renderer
If you have installed a decklink card like (intensity pro, studio, duo, quad..) you can have analogue(composite,component,..) and HDMI outputs (even HD/SD SDI ). Once you determine your format for recording (SD, HD, NTSC, PAL,,) and the appropriate frame rate per second, then you can proceed to output a video signal from Vmix through Declink to any recording or viewing device you desire, it is as simple as just plugging the OUTs to the INs.

Regards,
Ali

Hi Ali, I am demoing Vmix 17 & have a Decklink Quad 2 outputting my program Via Vmix External Output using Decklink Video Render (8) output to my analog DVD HDD Recorder composite input using a BNC to composite cable.

I have Vmix external output set to 29.97 & resolution set to 720x480 but yet no output is recording on the DVD recorder with known correct DVD recorder input selection.

My question is this......

Does VMIX via the Decklink Quad 2 actually output an analog composite signal or is an SDI signal coming out of the Quad 2.......?

I have a Blackmagic Design SDI to Analog micro converter that I tried to run in between Quad 2 & DVD Recorder, but not sure if it's even needed.

Sorry to bother you but you seem to know quite a bit about it. Thanks for any input.

Jeff