logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

8 Pages<12345>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
richardgatarski  
#41 Posted : Saturday, August 8, 2015 10:56:14 AM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 292 time(s) in 246 post(s)
Regarding the Merge discussion I tried with 16.0.0.48. One thing is clear, a general solution (if even possible) would be very complex. I did two recordings, mostly to give you an idea of how different merges looks like.

The first one is a double-box side-by-side (ie not overlapping each other), and shows a merge between two multiviews. First between the same multiview config, except for one input. Then between multiview and a single input covering the whole frame.

The second recording is based on two multivews with an image with three layers on it, where the order of the layers are reversed. Showing merges between these, and then some merges with single input sources covering the whole frame. The point with this recording is to illustrate, and give food for thought.

To sum up my currently confused mind. I still wish there was a non-dissolving variant, for matching sources that do not overlap. It also struck me that one common scenario that I need is the merging of a multiview with one input that contains only one matching input in full screen. Put differently, going back and fort between a multiview and one of it's sources in full frame. Then, adding to my earlier notions, I think that this Input has somehow to be moved to the top layer, by the (non-dissolving) Merge, at the very start of the Merge.
admin  
#42 Posted : Saturday, August 8, 2015 11:43:46 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4166 time(s) in 1497 post(s)
An update to vMix 16 (16.0.0.50) has been uploaded.

http://www.vmixhd.com/download/vmix16preview.exe

Changes/Fixes:

* MultiCorder now supports MP4 and FFMPEG
* MPEG-2 recording tab is now hidden if the codec is not available (such as on Windows 10)
* Fixed Recording/External audio meter not working
* Fixed bug when loading presets with non-0 audio balance
* Improved merge layer sorting
* Fixed text rendering overlap in template graphics (to print these, click Save Graphic to save an image that can be printed)
* Added VC-3 presets to match the various bitrate/resolution/framerate options

I'm interested in hearing feedback on if the Merge effect is any better for the scenarios that have been discussed.
Fades on non-merging layers I still think are important for the majority of use cases, but hopefully the ordering solves some issues that have been reported.
thanks 4 users thanked admin for this useful post.
atit on 8/8/2015(UTC), cutter07 on 8/8/2015(UTC), PFBM on 8/8/2015(UTC), madness on 8/25/2015(UTC)
madness  
#43 Posted : Saturday, August 8, 2015 4:32:47 PM(UTC)
madness

Man

Was thanked: 32 time(s) in 29 post(s)
IceStream wrote:
@ madness

Your video link is "Private" as opposed to "Unlisted".
(if this was intentional, I apologize, it's just that it's not viewable for the rest of us)

You present great examples of the 'merge' transition concerns that have been raised.
I don't want to call it an 'issue' or 'problem' since it is behaving precisely how it was designed, it just doesn't 'look' right to me.
I am not sure if a "fix" is possible and the 'fade' might be as good as it gets at this point, but I just think it would look better if both inputs were at 100% Opacity throughout the transition and maybe enable a quick fade if layers are crossed in the process.
(But then again, that is getting into some pretty sophisticated high end image processing special effects and probably into a league that vMix is not yet competing in)

Ice

Ice

Thanks Ice. It wasn't "Published". It is public however from what I can see.
richardgatarski  
#44 Posted : Saturday, August 8, 2015 5:46:47 PM(UTC)
richardgatarski

@madness,
regarding your problems with mov and mpg, and since you are running Windows 10, check out this post by AndreKager.
thanks 1 user thanked richardgatarski for this useful post.
madness on 8/9/2015(UTC)
IceStream  
#45 Posted : Saturday, August 8, 2015 8:33:15 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ richardgatarski

How did you set that up?
The second part of the first video is how I would like or expect the 'Merge' transition to work (both inputs maintain 100% opacity throughout the transition)
My 'Merge' transitions don't behave quite like either of your first video example, specifically, my inputs fade throughout the transition.
Is there a setting or adjustment somewhere to get 100% opacity or is it simply a factor of which layers they are?
I have not tested with overlapping inputs yet, but I would say that my 'Merge' behavior is always like the second half of your second video.

Ice
madness  
#46 Posted : Sunday, August 9, 2015 12:19:56 AM(UTC)
madness

Man

Was thanked: 32 time(s) in 29 post(s)
richardgatarski wrote:
@madness,
regarding your problems with mov and mpg, and since you are running Windows 10, check out this post by AndreKager.

Just to be clear, I haven't installed quicktime on this machine, and before it goes to the fullscreen output, it is fine.

Not sure why the fullscreen output is all jittery in comparison.

If it plays fine in the main output preview, I feel it should do so in fullscreen output as well, with or without quicktime.

r@wisla  
#47 Posted : Sunday, August 9, 2015 5:38:00 PM(UTC)
r@wisla

Man

Was thanked: 40 time(s) in 37 post(s)
I see, that it's still not possible to use set SetImage function with shortcuts.
(following this thread http://forums.vmix.com.a...aspx?g=posts&t=3022)

Will it be possible with new script feature?

BTW, new version is awesome :)
admin  
#48 Posted : Sunday, August 9, 2015 10:51:48 PM(UTC)
admin

Man

r@wisla wrote:
I see, that it's still not possible to use set SetImage function with shortcuts.

You can use SetImage with shortcuts, what happens when you try it?
r@wisla  
#49 Posted : Monday, August 10, 2015 4:38:00 AM(UTC)
r@wisla

Man

admin wrote:
r@wisla wrote:

You can use SetImage with shortcuts, what happens when you try it?

With the shortcuts tt is now impossible to choose which of the Inputs image should changed.

You confirmed the issue here
http://forums.vmix.com.a....aspx?g=posts&t=2980

Link related: http://forums.vmix.com.a....aspx?g=posts&t=3022

admin  
#50 Posted : Monday, August 10, 2015 6:53:53 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

r@wisla wrote:

With the shortcuts tt is now impossible to choose which of the Inputs image should changed.

Sorry about that, this will be possible in the next update.
jet  
#51 Posted : Monday, August 10, 2015 10:03:24 AM(UTC)
jet

Man

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Yes, I know this in not the palace to suggest new features but "Create virtual input" should by now have the option to clone the "whole packet".

For an example if I create Virtual input from a chroma key input background (and Camera input set in Multiview) it now just simply create a copy on the original background and all camera (chroma key) settings are lost from the virtual version.

The goal that Im looking for is to use the new merge transition to make smooth zooms for chroma key inputs (background is zoomed along).

Kind regards,
Jan

Tally and Intercom Solution:
http://tally.fi

Program mixed in vMix 15

Turn English/Frensh subtitles on.
admin  
#52 Posted : Monday, August 10, 2015 10:30:32 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

jet wrote:

The goal that Im looking for is to use the new merge transition to make smooth zooms for chroma key inputs (background is zoomed along).

To do this, simply create a blank color input, and set the source input as MultiView 1
That way, any chroma key changes you make will apply to both inputs, as virtual input settings are managed separately.
r@wisla  
#53 Posted : Monday, August 10, 2015 2:08:12 PM(UTC)
r@wisla

Man

admin wrote:
r@wisla wrote:

With the shortcuts it is now impossible to choose which of the Inputs image should changed.

Sorry about that, this will be possible in the next update.

Great, thank You. It's so good to see such quick reaction.
thecloudmediagroup  
#54 Posted : Tuesday, August 11, 2015 4:15:22 AM(UTC)
thecloudmediagroup

Man
United States

Was thanked: 78 time(s) in 43 post(s)
Very good update!

One thing I saw a few times was the CPU meter registered a negative number while doing multicorder or recording I believe. I hit record and the CPU usage went to something like -30%.
jet  
#55 Posted : Tuesday, August 11, 2015 5:28:21 AM(UTC)
jet

Man

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 13 post(s)
admin wrote:
jet wrote:

To do this, simply create a blank color input, and set the source input as MultiView 1
That way, any chroma key changes you make will apply to both inputs, as virtual input settings are managed separately.

Hi Martin.

OK, that worked. Thanks!

Found out that vMix does not accept 10 sec or longer durations on transition effects. vMix should set the maximum value automatically if user inputs too large value.

I would like to have longer transition times supported especially on the new Merge transition so that slow long zoom effects could be created.

Kind regards,
Jan

Tally and Intercom Solution:
http://tally.fi

Program mixed in vMix 15

Turn English/Frensh subtitles on.

richardgatarski  
#56 Posted : Tuesday, August 11, 2015 12:35:45 PM(UTC)
richardgatarski

I have tried Merge with 16.0.0.50, but is stubbornly wanting a non-dissolving version ;)
For the sake of clarity I will use the term "MultiZoom" instead of Merge (which btw afaik is not a common video editing term either).

I beleive Madness, Ice, and many others with us have imagined a MultiZoom effect where one video from a multiview setup is made more/less prominent. That is either zoomed to full frame, or largest and in front. Typical use cases include:
- sports casts, like athletichs, with before the effect you have video from four sources (eg sprint, triple jump, discus, and high jump) and you effect zoom into one (eg sprint), going to full frame.
- skype interviews, before the effect a double box with interviewer and the skype participants, and zoom into the latter full frame, after a while zooms back to a double box, and then into the interviewer.
- news coverage, with the news anchor's camera next to a live coverage, zoom into the latter, and so forth.

I have personally never condidered overlapping video frames, nor a dissolve effect, in a Merge. Although I look forward to see what I can do with that. But so far, it does not look "right".

To answer Madness, how I did it the way we want it. I created two identical Multiviews, and then modified one of them to full frame zoom of the layer I wanted to be full frame. Then Merged from one of the Multview to the other Multiview. Actually, for a double box (two videos side by side on a common background, you need three Multivew inputs. One for both, one for left box full frame, and one for right box full frame. Furthermore, for one of the latter you need to flip the layers so that the one going into full frame is at the top layer. Otherwise it will be obscured during the zoom (sorry, the dissolve as a fix just looks bad). One issue here is that it is challenging for the operator to quickly distinguish between the "single source" input, and the Multiview with that input full frame on top. Both inputs look the same...

It would be much easier if it was possible to MultiZoom in/out between a single source Input (eg a camera) and a Multiview, using only one Multiview (instead of three). Pondering about this for a couple of days, I summarize how I think this could be done.

If going from/to a single source to/from a multiview, temporarily make that single source the top layer (make sure it is not obscured by other layers during the transition). On completition, assign it's layer as defined in the Multiview.

Leave Inputs in Output that does not exist in Preview as they are, until the transition is complete, then remove non matching Inputs. And for Inputs in Preview that does not exist in Output, these would be cut in, at the very start of the Merge. It is up to the user to make sure that non-matching inputs are layered correctly, eg under merging layers. (And as aboe, for single sources its layer is put on top automatically).

Not sure if it would be best with a MultiZoom transition AND a Merge transition. Or just one, with the option "Dissolve non-matching layers".

Another extremely useful addition would be a "Duplicate" (or "Clone") button in settings for Multiviews. As far as I have been able to imagine, Merge/MultiZoom between Multiviews is based on two or more very similar Multiview inputs. It is painstaking to manually create the second (and third, and fourth...). Much easier if you create the first, with lets say three layers. Then duplicate it and make the desired alterations in the duplicate.
ovinas  
#57 Posted : Tuesday, August 11, 2015 12:51:27 PM(UTC)
ovinas

Man

Was thanked: 57 time(s) in 49 post(s)
I'm having an issue with MIDI control. Please watch the demo video I have done:

This only happens when the first MIDI action is moving a fader or a rotary knob. When first action is pushing a button like muting an input everything is fine and faders are working.

Edit: KORG nanoKONTROL2, Windows 10, vMix 16.0.0.50
admin  
#58 Posted : Tuesday, August 11, 2015 11:15:17 PM(UTC)
admin

Man

ovinas wrote:
I'm having an issue with MIDI control. Please watch the demo video I have done:

This only happens when the first MIDI action is moving a fader or a rotary knob. When first action is pushing a button like muting an input everything is fine and faders are working.

Edit: KORG nanoKONTROL2, Windows 10, vMix 16.0.0.50

Can you check the log files in vMixStorage\logs, it looks like there is a midi error of some kind on the first midi command that is received
ovinas  
#59 Posted : Wednesday, August 12, 2015 12:46:57 AM(UTC)
ovinas

Man

Was thanked: 57 time(s) in 49 post(s)
There is absolutely no error in the log file. Anything else I can help with?
admin  
#60 Posted : Wednesday, August 12, 2015 10:30:40 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

Strange, if there is no error, then it looks like the MIDI controller just stops sending
messages to vMix. Do you have another midi program you can test with to see if the same thing happens?