logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Ittaidv  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, May 27, 2015 11:24:29 AM(UTC)
Ittaidv

Groups: Registered
Man
Belgium

Was thanked: 91 time(s) in 75 post(s)
I just got an email from Indytek about their new software: instacapture. I'm in no way affiliated with the developers, but wanted to share this since it's really useful.

I downloaded the trial, and must say it's amazing software to run next to vmix for recording.

You can select vmix video and audio as sources, and record with this application. It allows for recording in mxf, mpeg, mov, prores,... You can even run 2 instances of this sofware to record in different codecs or containers at the same time.

I did a testrun, and depending on the codec, it's really light on recourses. At 49$, it was a no brainer for us to buy this.

More info: http://decklinkcapture.blogspot.in/

thanks 1 user thanked Ittaidv for this useful post.
PFBM on 5/27/2015(UTC)
PFBM  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, May 27, 2015 2:40:40 PM(UTC)
PFBM

Man

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 30 post(s)
Ittaidv wrote:
I just got an email from Indytek about their new software: instacapture. I'm in no way affiliated with the developers, but wanted to share this since it's really useful.

I downloaded the trial, and must say it's amazing software to run next to vmix for recording.

You can select vmix video and audio as sources, and record with this application. It allows for recording in mxf, mpeg, mov, prores,... You can even run 2 instances of this sofware to record in different codecs or containers at the same time.

I did a testrun, and depending on the codec, it's really light on recourses. At 49$, it was a no brainer for us to buy this.

Hi !

Great idea !!

Will it work with a vMix system with any capture card ?

Cheers,

PM

IceStream  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, May 27, 2015 3:41:47 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ Ittaidv

I am curious about the software...
The documentation is somewhat vague and sketchy, it appears to be more of a "automated playout system" than a multi-format "Recorder".
Are you able to simultaneously 'Stream' and 'Record'?

Ice
Ittaidv  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, May 27, 2015 4:14:56 PM(UTC)
Ittaidv

Man
Belgium

It just takes the external audio and video output from vmix as an input. Works great, and no complex codes needed like in ffmpeg.
Ittaidv  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, May 27, 2015 4:22:29 PM(UTC)
Ittaidv

Man
Belgium

IceStream wrote:
@ Ittaidv

I am curious about the software...
The documentation is somewhat vague and sketchy, it appears to be more of a "automated playout system" than a multi-format "Recorder".
Are you able to simultaneously 'Stream' and 'Record'?

Ice

On the indytek website they also have a playout software and a webtv software indeed, that's how I found those guys. The playout software and the webtv software I never really tried. On their website there is no mention yet about this software, on the link I posted above there is a fully working demo though. The funy thing is that it even mentions vmix in the screenshot they made. I don't get it why they're not here to promote their products, many of us would find them useful.

PFBM  
#6 Posted : Thursday, May 28, 2015 8:33:44 AM(UTC)
PFBM

Man

Ittaidv wrote:

It Works !!!!!!!!
with Final Cut Pro X , Avid Media Composer , and so on !! OS X and Windows !!
No need to transcode ! Great Stuff !!
for 50 bucks its a bargain .

Please Martin , can you talk to this guy and get this prog inside vMix as an option ?

Best regards,

PFBM
IceStream  
#7 Posted : Thursday, May 28, 2015 9:28:14 AM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

I haven't had a chance to thoroughly test...
I find the navigation somewhat confusing.
My initial attempts to record (MXF, DNxHD) were not successful as an error message was generated.
Any guidance is gladly appreciated...

Ice
thanks 1 user thanked IceStream for this useful post.
PFBM on 5/28/2015(UTC)
Ittaidv  
#8 Posted : Thursday, May 28, 2015 10:30:23 AM(UTC)
Ittaidv

Man
Belgium

IceStream wrote:
My initial attempts to record (MXF, DNxHD) were not successful as an error message was generated.

Ice

I wil try it on our system tonight. I have no idea about the architecture of this software, it might be a missing codec or something. I wonder by the way if this software is fully legal, since some of these codecs should be licensed I thought :) For such a price I wonder if that's the case.

If it's all legal, it would indeed be a nice addition to vmix, or just to have the same options internally built in. I just found out you can even record to vob files. The only advertised option I could not find back is the h264 with CUDA cceleration

Also in the options are some streaming codecs, no idea how it works, since there is no documentation at all, but I'm certainl going to try this out as well.
thanks 1 user thanked Ittaidv for this useful post.
PFBM on 5/28/2015(UTC)
Bardos  
#9 Posted : Thursday, May 28, 2015 11:11:19 AM(UTC)
Bardos

Groups: Guests
Man

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 13 post(s)
I just downloaded and did a small test, ...works ok so far....it even sees wirecast, and a few more similar software....It looks like a good program, but seems to be in a development stage......also has a very low CPU usage as well......could go a long way with low powered PCs using vMix...

I found that some functions are not working....don't know if this is because it is in demo mode.....but the little test I did, it worked ok

thanks 1 user thanked Bardos for this useful post.
PFBM on 5/28/2015(UTC)
PFBM  
#10 Posted : Thursday, May 28, 2015 2:43:05 PM(UTC)
PFBM

Man

It works , really works.
This weekend, i will test it on a 2 hour recording in prores or dnxhd.
very strange recording in prores 422 mov on windows...... :)
but it works :)

Cheers,

PFBM
Ittaidv  
#11 Posted : Thursday, May 28, 2015 5:34:01 PM(UTC)
Ittaidv

Man
Belgium

IceStream wrote:

Ice

Tested most codecs and containers, and everything seems to be running smooth and without problems. Do you have these codecs installed on the system where you run it on?

Ittaidv  
#12 Posted : Thursday, May 28, 2015 5:36:57 PM(UTC)
Ittaidv

Man
Belgium

Also I could not resist to open the .exe with notepad, and discovered it was built using medialooks. Everything seems properly licensed, so it looks like this is all legal :)
IceStream  
#13 Posted : Thursday, May 28, 2015 7:36:17 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

@ Ittaidv

I am pretty sure they are (between PremierePro and Resolve) although, perhaps I am mis-informed about how this 'stuff' works.
I would have thought that 'Insta Capture', if licensed to use these codecs, would also have them in the download...
In any event, I will try and do some further tests in the near future and hopefully get to the bottom of what happened in my preliminary testing.

Ice
IceStream  
#14 Posted : Saturday, May 30, 2015 12:20:55 AM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

UPDATE

Initial round of testing done.
Tried the 25 different 'format' options available to me at 'Default' or basic 5M bitrate where applicable (+ a few more).
All codecs worked except for a few:
- MXF (VC3/DNxHD)
- ASF (DVCPRO-HD)

Most are fairly high compression codecs and not suitable for my purposes.
I was impressed by the quality of the MOV DNxHD file, but then again it was 90M bitrate and 20 times larger than most of the other files.
(I would say very comparable to the AVI CineForm files I usually record with vMix, both in size and quality)

The MXF MPEG2 recordings came in second in my books from a quality standpoint with pretty good compression ratios (about 15% the size of the above MOV mentioned but 2.5 times larger than many of the others)
(I would say comparable in size and quality to ts or mpg MPEG 2 recordings done in vMix)

Many of the files I found to be not compatible or cause issues with my NLE (PremierePro CS5),including the above mentioned MOV file.
(vMix's ts and mpg files also give me PP CS5 problems and why I have adopted AVI files as My standard).

The most positive advantage I found with this software is that I far prefer the MP4 encoding of 'Insta Capture' over vMix's MP4 recording, both in terms of quality and CPU usage.
vMix seems to struggle with it on my system with CPU usage up to 80% whereas Insta Capture encoding is comparable with most of the others between 30% and 40%.

All-in-all, 'Insta Capture' appears to be pretty good value for the money, especially if you 'need' or want those additional containers (like MXF), or if you are having issues with MP4 recordings from vMix.
I will likely try to do some more extensive and prolonged tests before I make my final conclusions, but to this point, it is not a "Must have" for me just yet.

Ice
thanks 1 user thanked IceStream for this useful post.
PFBM on 6/12/2015(UTC)