logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mlatta  
#1 Posted : Thursday, September 26, 2024 4:52:25 AM(UTC)
mlatta

Groups: Registered
Man
Canada

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Released on September 16, 2024 is a NEW capability to allow adding RTMP Ingest feeds into Zoom Sessions and Zoom Events.

I just came out a weekly meeting today with the Zoom Events team and mentioned that I would let the VMix community know and to ask for the NEW Zoom RTMPS Ingest Server destinations, primary and backup servers to be a added to the destinations list as a feature request.

Here are the RTMPS ingest URLs: (that can be put into the Custom Destination section in the meantime until this has been approved to be added.)

rtmps://a.restream.zoom.us/live

rtmps://b.restream.zoom.us/live?backup=1

Within the Zoom Sessions and Zoom Events Hub(s), RTMP Ingest you will be able to make as many stream keys as you need in a similar format that everyone that are streaming to any CDN should understand.

For more information how to use RTMP Ingest aka RTMPS ingest here is Zoom Support article for more details:

https://support.zoom.com...ysparm_article=KB0077038

It would be nice if this could be added in time for version 28 but that will depend on everyone upvoting this feature request.

If anyone at VMix has any questions for me, you know how to get a hold of me.
thanks 1 user thanked mlatta for this useful post.
Jan Fornhem on 10/3/2024(UTC)
WaltG12  
#2 Posted : Thursday, September 26, 2024 5:03:41 AM(UTC)
WaltG12

United States

Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 26 post(s)
Can't those who have a use for this just use the "Custom Server" tabs?
mavik  
#3 Posted : Thursday, September 26, 2024 9:12:02 PM(UTC)
mavik

Man

Was thanked: 167 time(s) in 149 post(s)
Why the old RTMP and not SRT if this is added recently.
mlatta  
#4 Posted : Thursday, October 3, 2024 2:26:47 AM(UTC)
mlatta

Man
Canada

I have asked the appropriate people at Zoom to have SRT looked into.

With some encouragement from the different Zoom communities including the VMix community, we should be able to have them implement SRT as well.

Right now they are dipping their toes into RTMP ingest but as we know, for a large corporation to spend money and resources on building new features, there has to be a demand, just like with adding new features in VMix.

If the VMix community up votes this feature request, it "may" get added to VMix.

Remember VMix is already speaking with Zoom considering that VMix now has Zoom integration so the possibilities of SRT coming to Zoom sooner are there.

So it is in the best interest of the VMix community to upvote this feature and then you "may" see more activity between VMix and Zoom when it comes to VMix user wishlists for Zoom.

WaltG12  
#5 Posted : Thursday, October 3, 2024 3:32:47 PM(UTC)
WaltG12

United States

You're yet to explain what exactly is gained by adding it to the destination tabs vs those who need it just manually keying it in.
mlatta  
#6 Posted : Friday, October 4, 2024 3:39:07 PM(UTC)
mlatta

Man
Canada

Here is an explanation.

It will allow users that are not very advanced in what server information they need to add to the Custom Servers tab which is similar information to YouTube and other CDNs that VMix has already put in their destination tabs by default.

The VMix user, if the server information would be added to the destination tab, would just need to get the appropriate RTMP Ingest stream key, should they have access, or have to ask their client to give them the appropriate stream key to use for the Zoom Session / Zoom Events Webinar.

Can manually key in all of the information themselves, yes.

Will this allow for easier use of Vmix if the primary and backup server information is already in the destination tabs for the user to choose, yes.

If no one is using the current list of CDNs in the destination tabs, then it may be better for the team at VMix to remove all of the destinations and have the user just key in all of the destinations manually that they need to use. I'm OK with that as well.

I hope this satisfies your enquiry about the differences.

We all want VMix to be easy to use and this is one small step of including the Zoom Ingest servers to the list and one less thing that the user will need to remember and configure into VMix to get the job done.
WaltG12  
#7 Posted : Saturday, October 5, 2024 6:12:51 AM(UTC)
WaltG12

United States

Originally Posted by: mlatta Go to Quoted Post

It will allow users that are not very advanced in what server information they need to add to the Custom Servers tab which is similar information to YouTube and other CDNs that VMix has already put in their destination tabs by default.

But given that it's only available to those with a specific license, do you not think it'd cause issues when those same people who are incapable of copying/pasting basic server information wonder why it doesn't work, if they don't have the correct license?

While vMix has gotten better recently--really recently--with trusting their users to not cause issues for themselves, they'd historically (and still do) put a lot of emphasis on implementing things in a way that doesn't result in numerous support tickets from users who don't know what buttons they're clicking.

And the first line of your explanation is that your feature request is that those are the users it's designed to benefit.

If you want this implemented, that's a hurdle you have to overcome.

It's not enough to just say "I want this"--they also expect an explanation of why existing mechanisms are inadequate.

I'll also point out that a number of the destination tabs behave differently than what you'd get copying/pasting server information.

Facebook, for example, takes you live as soon as you click the button. Copying and pasting the server information requires interaction with a Facebook page to actually go live.

The VMix user, if the server information would be added to the destination tab, would just need to get the appropriate RTMP Ingest stream key, should they have access, or have to ask their client to give them the appropriate stream key to use for the Zoom Session / Zoom Events Webinar.

So you want it to actually integrate with Zoom and use the user's account to verify the license check on Zoom's end.

This is a crucial part of your feature request that you never gave & I had to ask you twice to get.

If no one is using the current list of CDNs in the destination tabs, then it may be better for the team at VMix to remove all of the destinations and have the user just key in all of the destinations manually that they need to use. I'm OK with that as well.

How do you figure?

Ignoring the fact that you just changed your entire feature request in the above paragraph from your original "Add this server to the list of choices" to "Implement a Zoom integrated license check that propagates the proper server information upon verifying the user is eligible to use this server & return a Zoom specific error message if they aren't", I don't see how vMix could know what destinations people are using, nor do I see how removing unused destinations is less work than not doing anything.

But when API changes are made, vMix has removed (temporarily or permanently) streaming destinations before.

It's nice to know you're ok with that. I'm sure we were all waiting with bated breath to find out how mlatta feels about vMix developers removing streaming destinations that mlatta doesn't see the point in.

I hope this satisfies your enquiry about the differences.

It's not me you have to satisfy.

I don't work for vMix. I have no say if this gets any dev time or not.

I do, however, pay enough attention to this forum to see which types of requests meet that bar and which don't, and, if I feel up to it, as a courtesy, I'll ask the questions that should've been answered in the first place to try to help people meet that bar.

Considering that it wasn't until I asked--twice--that you provided a request that actually overcomes one of the biggest hurdles in vMix feature request implementation (a desire to save the users from themselves & presumably cut down on support requests from users who have no business trying certain things wondering why they don't work), I'm glad I was able to help you out.

You're welcome.

(You'll also notice that I'm one of the only people keeping your 9 day old thread with no +1s, requesting a feature most have never even heard of & can't use, on the front page to attract more attention. Again, you're welcome.)