logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Fontastic  
#1 Posted : Saturday, July 1, 2023 6:08:16 AM(UTC)
Fontastic

Groups: Registered
United States

Hello,
I am trying to figure our how to change colors of text based on a data source linked Excel document.
I know we can change Rectangles/Shapes by the Color option in the Title Editor using Hex Color Codes, but I am finding it difficult to change color of text and don't see it as an option.

USAGE CASE:

I tend to work on large-scale tournaments with brackets and as teams/players are eliminated, we are changing the color of the losing team background/desaturation to denote the loss, but we also want to change the text color of the teams. I tend to change everything on the fly using the excel document by data sources (team names/players), while another person is running the VMIX application. I don't want them going into the very messy title designer to change text color. I am hoping to be able to change the text of the name as well via data sourcing.

Does anyone have any solutions?

Thank you for your time.
doggy  
#2 Posted : Saturday, July 1, 2023 7:48:15 AM(UTC)
doggy

Belgium

Was thanked: 920 time(s) in 759 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Fontastic Go to Quoted Post
Hello,
I am trying to figure our how to change colors of text based on a data source linked Excel document.
I know we can change Rectangles/Shapes by the Color option in the Title Editor using Hex Color Codes, but I am finding it difficult to change color of text and don't see it as an option.

There is a color tab in the title editor where one select a color for your text

Quote:

USAGE CASE:

I tend to work on large-scale tournaments with brackets and as teams/players are eliminated, we are changing the color of the losing team background/desaturation to denote the loss, but we also want to change the text color of the teams. I tend to change everything on the fly using the excel document by data sources (team names/players), while another person is running the VMIX application. I don't want them going into the very messy title designer to change text color. I am hoping to be able to change the text of the name as well via data sourcing.

Does anyone have any solutions?

Thank you for your time.

One does not need to change a text color in the title designer as one can do that within the title editor. There is also a shortcut ( script) function called SetTextColour .
If one has a criteria to base a color on one can make a script to do a change automatically
Fontastic  
#3 Posted : Saturday, July 1, 2023 8:12:49 AM(UTC)
Fontastic

United States

Originally Posted by: doggy Go to Quoted Post

One does not need to change a text color in the title designer as one can do that within the title editor. There is also a shortcut ( script) function called SetTextColour .
If one has a criteria to base a color on one can make a script to do a change automatically

Yeah I know that they can do it within title editor, but the layouts of each title has so many textblock options, I don't want to risk the human error and also detract from hitting cues to make sure the color is right since it is a live program. I would like it to happen remotely from the graphic operator running excel via the data source using datalinking.

I am not really proficient at writing scripts, but is there a way for it to read an excel file on a local NAS and change specific instances depending on what a cell would say.

Specific example as a cell automates using an excel formula between "Active" and "Non-Active" depending on scores entered into the excel document. You set a different hex color code for "Active" and "Non-Active" and it changes with the score automatically and changes the color between the two options on the specific textblock in title editor using a settextcolour function?

Like I said, I am quite the novice on this side of things.

Appreciate all the advice.
doggy  
#4 Posted : Saturday, July 1, 2023 5:18:07 PM(UTC)
doggy

Belgium

Was thanked: 920 time(s) in 759 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Fontastic Go to Quoted Post

Specific example as a cell automates using an excel formula between "Active" and "Non-Active" depending on scores entered into the excel document. You set a different hex color code for "Active" and "Non-Active" and it changes with the score automatically and changes the color between the two options on the specific textblock in title editor using a settextcolour function?

Not knowing the structure of the title nor the excel file !
But say each score has an associated cell with its Active state mentioned.
Then in a title each score textbox could have an (invisible) associated textbox fed from the datasource holding that active state indicator
Then a script could have a run through all the state textboxes and issue a textcolour command to the score textboxes based on the active state textbox content

say title has
Score1 & State1 textbox (State1 is invisible in the title display)
Score2 & State2 textbox
ScoreX & StateX textbox

Script has a quick runthrough reading the StateX textbox content and do a SetTextColour command on the ScoreX textbox based on the StateX content (use simple state indications like a 0 and 1 or yes and no etc)
If there would be more colour states to consider have the content hold the colour value insteadin the state textbox and basically do the same as above ( loop through them all, read colour value and do the setTextColour)

https://forums.vmix.com/...86-Scripting-for-Dummies

https://forums.vmix.com/...color-using-data-sources

Ben777  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, April 2, 2024 12:54:01 PM(UTC)
Ben777

Australia

@fontastic - did you find a solution in the end for what you’re trying to achieve?