logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
syber_jedi  
#1 Posted : Friday, October 21, 2022 7:31:41 AM(UTC)
syber_jedi

Groups: Registered
United States

We have a client who has multiple CX350s getting to vMix over a VERY robust network via Unifi switch.
I'm trying to figure out if it's the camera dropping frames, or vMix.

Using the Statistics window in vMix it says the source is dropping frames, with the render dropping slightly less frames. I've tried using the Beta Analysis tool from NDI, but I can't understand what it's outputting.

The base Preset in vMix is 2 NDI cameras as inputs, audio is from a Dante source.
They then use MultiCorder to record the original feeds as well as the mixed output. I managed to get the dropped frames MUCH lower on average by changing to 25Mbps H264 HIGH. Computer is no slouch and the system monitor shows nothing is bottlenecking the recordings on the network drive. I've even tried to the local drive.

The dropped frames are random, and pretty rare. Right now I have been doing a test recording for 16 minutes and one camera dropped 58 frames, the other 48.

Any advice or help? Even ideas? I've made sure the cameras and everything are running at the same rates. I've taken the network guide from Newtek and did what I could with that on the network.

I'm just at a loss.
richardgatarski  
#2 Posted : Friday, October 21, 2022 4:55:49 PM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Was thanked: 292 time(s) in 246 post(s)
Here are my semi-qualified guesses. Based on only basic insights paired with a lot of trial and error.

First of all, I do not trust any of the CPU usage info that vMix provides. It does never correspond to measurements with other apps, including Window's own.

We have the same issue as you with our Canon N300s (also NDI HX).

NDI HX is much more demanding on CPU usage than NDI. In our case that means that even though CPU usage is on average way below max, some of our 10 cores sometimes max out and a frame or two is dropped. You simply have to check each individual thread and see how it fares.

The vMix team frequently points out that the CPU's base clock is one important factor. We have an Obsidian speced systen. With three NDI HX feeds from the N300 we cannot go over 1080p30 in our production :( Switch to HDMI capture cards and 1080p60, and not a single frame is dropped anywhere.

Sidenote: vMix do not recommend using the Multicorder to record NDI HX streams (see the Knowledge base). But I have found the NDI HX feed from the N300 works just fine, they never cause any interruption.

Good luck!

EDIT: At a conference venue with their high powered PC and two CX350 we had massive frame drops. Not had time to go back and figure out why...
mavik  
#3 Posted : Saturday, October 22, 2022 2:27:36 AM(UTC)
mavik

Man

Was thanked: 166 time(s) in 148 post(s)
From experiences, I would say take a look at the switch. Sometimes the components don't play together very well. Just test with another brand. Usually Netgear is a good recommendation. Start with one cam and monitor. If that is good test the other cam stand alone. If both do well stand alone test them together.
I do live festivals with 5-6 full NDI and usually have below 10 frames dropped over a duration of 6 hours +/-.
syber_jedi  
#4 Posted : Thursday, October 27, 2022 1:56:52 AM(UTC)
syber_jedi

United States

Thanks for the suggestions.

I did check the individual threads from the Windows Task Manager. None of them were above 50%, and that's with me remoting in to the system.
Our system is new and runs a Ryzen 6 core 12 thread CPU, along with a RTX3090 GPU. Tons of RAM, etc.

Just frustrating.

mavik  
#5 Posted : Thursday, October 27, 2022 4:09:12 AM(UTC)
mavik

Man

Was thanked: 166 time(s) in 148 post(s)
I don't believe it's the computer. I would try another network just to isolate things a bit and see if the issue stays or moves. That will give you a picture at what to look at in more detail.