logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Tech Support  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, February 9, 2022 4:17:09 AM(UTC)
Tech Support

Groups: Registered
United States

We have been using VMixDesktopCapture to bring a Proclaim presentation into the VMIX computer for over a year with no problems. It worked fine 5 days ago. Then I ran the latest Windows updates on both computers.

Vmix computer is running Win 10 Pro
Proclaim Computer is running Win 10 Home with two monitors (Extended Desktop)

Both computer have NDI 5 installed

The NDI studio monitor on the VMIX Computer sees the Proclaim desktop (both monitors) just fine but Vmix does not.

I am running the most current VMIX (24.0.0.72 x64)

I tried both the VMIXDesktopCapture and the NDI 5 tools desktop capture. Neither one is seen by VMIX.

I have turned off the firewalls (basic MS) on both machines but nothing changed.

Both are connected by wire to the same hub and router

The PTZOptics camera (also plugged into the same hub) works fine.

I am running out of ideas....

Any help would be appreciated.
mjgraves  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, February 9, 2022 7:26:11 AM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

Was thanked: 263 time(s) in 233 post(s)
Can your "see" the captured screen in NDI Studio Monitor? Locally? Remotely on the vMix PC?

Beyond that, I have two suggestions to offer:

(1) Never do a Windows update without first running a full image backup of the boot volume. I like the free version of Macrium Reflect for this.

(2) Update your GPU driver to the latest release. That could solve the problem.
Tech Support  
#3 Posted : Thursday, February 10, 2022 12:39:05 AM(UTC)
Tech Support

United States

Yes, I can "see" at least one of my NDI inputs using Studio Monitor. In fact I worked out a somewhat awkward solution for part of the problem (only temporary I hope).

I start NDI 5 tools on both machines

On the sending machine I start desktop capture and mark the region of interest (ROI)

ON the receiving machine I start NDI 5 tools and studio monitor. Then I place the monitor window on a clear spot on my screen. Then I start desktop capture and mark the studio monitor window as the ROI. VMIX then see that marked area as an NDI source for input. The drawback is that I have to be careful not to open or move anything else into that ROI because it then shows up in the stream.

It would all work better if I had a second monitor on the VMIX machine so I would be less likely to move or open something over the ROI. I sized the ROI as small as I could but it is still a problem.

I haven't really tried this yet with our "roving" WIFI camera (a repurposed Pixel 2 XL smartphone) but I will today.

Also I upgraded the Windows 10 Home (sending) computer to Windows 10 Enterprise (been meaning to do that for some time). Both machines received additional MS feature upgrades, apparently just released yesterday, but nothing so far makes any difference.

I will go back today and continue to hack away at it. I haven't power cycled the hub yet. If the problem really is linked to the MS software updates, then LOTS of other folks should be running into this problem soon.

I will also see if there is a GPU driver update and I understand what you are saying about a backup before updates. Just never had a problem like this before. I could be blaming the updates unfairly...

Tech Support  
#4 Posted : Thursday, February 10, 2022 7:44:50 AM(UTC)
Tech Support

United States

After some more testing, I have a work around solution but I am not thrilled with it. It is very sequence specific and if steps are executed out of sequence, then the NDI source doesn't show up as available to be selected for input.

Here are the instructions:
Step 1: Boot up both computers and Pixel 2 Xl (any order)

Step 2: On proclaim computer start NDI 5 Tools and then Screen capture – close the tools window – capture leaves a tray ICON

Step 3: (and following on VMIX computer unless otherwise noted) Start VMIX and load BASIC settings (just main cam and audio)

Step 4: Start NDI 5 tools and then screen capture

Step 5: Start Studio monitor – confirm that Proclaim screen is being picked up (Sanctuary-1 screen 2)

Step 6: Start HX camera on Pixel 2 XL

Step 7: Start Studio monitor again – confirm that Pixel 2 camera image is selected

Step 8: In VMIX add input NDI / Desktop Capture – Local Desktop – select NDI

Step 9: In VMIX add input NDI / Desktop Capture – Local Desktop – select NDI2

In order to get the clearest picture on the Pixel 2 XL camera and the proclaim slides – enlarge the studio monitor window to full screen size and leave them as backgrounds (open VMIX, camera controller and Firefox on top of them. DO NOT MINIMIZE these windows as that freezes the input.

At this point VMIX should be setup to go

The PTZOptics camera control app can be started anytime

The livestream (using Firefox) should be started last (as usual)

Still no idea why the expected and advertised NDI sources are not showing up in VMIX but do show up in studio monitor.
Tech Support  
#5 Posted : Friday, February 11, 2022 9:42:07 AM(UTC)
Tech Support

United States

I found the solution and I do not believe MS had a hand in the problem (but one can never be too sure.)

I needed to use the NDI 5 Tools Access Manager

Select "external sources" and add the the IP addresses of the devices, one Windows 10 computer and one Pixel 2XL smartphone, click OK and magically all the devices are seen by VMIX as input sources.

The PTZoptics camera was already in the list. I didn't change any other settings.

I am not sure if all this will survive a shutdown and reboot, and we are having a live production in short while so I do not want mess with anything, but I will do more testing later.

I found a reference in the forums to similar problem with with this fix, otherwise I never would have tried it.

This is the post that helped
https://forums.vmix.com/...6-Setting-up-NDI-in-vMix

Yes, everything was there after all systems restarted. Life is good again. Thank you Lord and the forums rock!