logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Ethan Cole  
#1 Posted : Friday, January 22, 2021 8:07:29 PM(UTC)
Ethan Cole

Groups: Registered
Italy

Hi all,
this is my first post on the forum and I hope you can assist me.

I'm from Italy and our group began live production with vMix two years ago. After some simple events we add complexity and in the past months we have installed a big setup inside one of our client's building.
Is composed by:

1 green room with for luma key 10x10 mt, 12 light panels and 4 4K PTZ camera (SONY BRC-X1000) linked by BNC cable to the live production room;
2 room with 2 Full HD camera each (4 in total) linked with NDI protocol to the live production room;
1 live production room with 2 Gigabit internet switcher, a Decklink panel with BNC input for the camera and external monitor, Audio cards for microphone and speaker.

The PC is build with 10900K Intel, 64 GB RAM, Nvidia 2080Super.

The project is approx 215-250 inputs bewteen the Camera, the ptz position and the jpg background with the colour key applied in order to have the people interacting in a virtual environment.
Cattura.JPG (236kb) downloaded 2 time(s).

For the cameras transition we have programmed a Stream Deck.

We use the system on Microsoft Teams, Zoom and Youtube.

Now, the main problem is that the GPU is always at 100% of usage and Overloaded. This causes a framerate drop below 25 which is not acceptable for the customer. Upgrading to new driver video make the situation even worse. It's fixed sometimes by restart over and over the entire system.

Second, the BRC-X400 often lose signal, or change aspect ratio, or freeze without any reason. Through browser IP the camera signal is clean and fluid.
Cattura.JPG (99kb) downloaded 3 time(s).

Third, the Stream Deck lose some buttons when vMix is launched.

Cattura2.JPG (17kb) downloaded 3 time(s).

Besides the beauty on the project this issues are putting us in difficult with our client. I have already read all your HELP section but I think that our setup need a special attention.

What do you suggest to do in order to minimize the problems?

Thank you for the attention and sorry for my bad english.
matkeane  
#2 Posted : Saturday, January 23, 2021 11:10:45 PM(UTC)
matkeane

France

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 21 post(s)
Hi,

I think you need to simplify the vMix project. Last year I worked on a green-screen project with virtual sets. The main project included around 20 different Virtual Set inputs for the different camera views, image inputs for 4 different set designs as well as video content. When we got up to around 190 inputs, vMix was taking around 5 minutes to actually open the project and everything ran very slowly - the UI was lagging and outputs stuttering. So it was very clear that we needed to break up the project into separate projects for each set design. Next, anything that could be grouped into one input (different logos, backgrounds) were collected into a Photo slideshow input, and finally anything that could be offloaded to external playback was moved out of the project - video content was managed with external playback software and sent to vMix via SDI or NDI inputs. After that, things ran much more smoothly.

The fact that vMix can manage so many aspects of a project doesn't mean that it should. In hardware video productions, I've never seen anybody attempt to send 200 inputs to an AnalogWay or Barco switcher (even if they had that many inputs). Productions are broken down into manageable units and responsibility given to separate hardware/operators. In other words, delegate as much as possible to other systems so that vMix can use its resources for the cameras and virtual sets.

As to the Streamdeck - I don't use the internal vMix shortcut tool; instead I use the Bitfocus Companion software to manage the stream deck and it has been very reliable. Since it can communicate with other software/hardware on the network, it can also simplify complex switching by adding multiple commands to one button. For example, you can cue video content in your external playback software, send that input to preview in Vmix, unmute the audio on that input, and then hit take.

Oh, and finally, maybe see if you can simplify your virtual sets - do you need all the layers? Can any layers be reduced in resolution ? Each extra virtual set we added to the project added to the GPU load, so be careful with the number and complexity of those inputs too.

Hope that helps.
thanks 1 user thanked matkeane for this useful post.
SportsNetUSA.net on 1/26/2021(UTC)
junsausal  
#3 Posted : Monday, January 25, 2021 7:36:55 AM(UTC)
junsausal

United States

Hi Matkeane,
Any software you can suggest to use in order to do that? Please Advice.
Thanks,
Junny
matkeane  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, January 26, 2021 5:23:28 AM(UTC)
matkeane

France

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 21 post(s)
If you mean for video playback, then a second copy of vMix would be an obvious choice. Otherwise, there are many other software packages out there for video playback - PlaybackPro, ProPresenter, Qlab, etc. Personally, I like Mitti, although it's Mac only, so may not fit into your setup.
Ethan Cole  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, January 26, 2021 9:38:38 PM(UTC)
Ethan Cole

Italy

Originally Posted by: matkeane Go to Quoted Post
Hope that helps.

Thank you for your detailed answer.
Yes, I'm agree that we have to create one project for each design/collection.
It's che client who don't want this because at the beginning of the project we assure them that the software can handle all of this virtual sets.

My colleaugue has resolved part of the GPU usage with deleting pre recorded video in the project.
Are there some kind of codec recommended for Vmix? We have always used .mp4 video exported with h264 codec, the standard.
sherifwassef  
#6 Posted : Friday, January 29, 2021 6:20:49 PM(UTC)
sherifwassef

Egypt

YOU can do the Following To reduce GPU Core & Memory Load when using too many inputs.
- Disable high performance inputs option in the settings page and increase your system RAM to to easily accommodate all those inputs. or use a newer RTX graphic cards with enough VRAM to accommodate all those inputs.
- you can load the video inputs in the project but don't put them on autopay mode and pause every one when not used.
- switch to using lower resolution project and inputs. 720p instead of 1080p.
Ethan Cole  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, March 17, 2021 1:32:56 AM(UTC)
Ethan Cole

Italy

Hi again,
we recently added 4 new cameras on NDI with a new switcher and 20 Gigabit network card.

But the GPU Overload is persisting.
Even with a "light" project without videos and only the cameras with the jpg background is saturating the system.
And the worst thing is that the computer is using only 30% in total of the power, so is the memory allocation with vMix the issue.
Other suggestion?

Here the sample.

progetto.JPG (474kb) downloaded 18 time(s).