logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Voiceofreason  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, December 8, 2020 6:05:05 AM(UTC)
Voiceofreason

Groups: Registered

Hey

We use vMix for a live video phone in.

Phone calls come in via Skype. We have one channel recording these calls using the Realteak audio input - so it records anything the laptop is playing.

The second channel records a presenter microphone which is just headphones which are plugged in.

This has been running successfully but recently we have a new laptop - an ASUS Zenbook 13. We've copied the exact same settings from vMix but we are running into an error.

Now, when headphones are connected, the audio levels for the Realtek pretty much disappear. When the headphones are unplugged the levels go right up again. I don't know if this makes a difference but the headphones are connected on this new laptop using a USB-C to 3.5mm jack adapter - There is no proper jack on the laptop.

What we want is to record Realtek audio even when the headphones are plugged in which doesn't seem to be working.

Thanks in advance for your help.

andreypetr  
#2 Posted : Sunday, December 20, 2020 8:28:21 AM(UTC)
andreypetr

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 10 post(s)
It seems that your default playback device changes when you connect the phones. Record both realtek and headphones simultaneously.
Voiceofreason  
#3 Posted : Monday, December 21, 2020 7:12:17 PM(UTC)
Voiceofreason

Thanks for the response. I am doing this already I beliee. One channel has phones, the other has Realtek but when I plug in the phones the Realtek levels dip to nothing.
DWAM  
#4 Posted : Monday, December 21, 2020 7:27:00 PM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Was thanked: 794 time(s) in 589 post(s)
Quote:
One channel has phones, the other has Realtek but when I plug in the phones the Realtek levels dip to nothing.

Most Realtek driver manager have an option available so that both can run at the same time. Check the manual of your audio system to know whether it's the case or not.
Voiceofreason  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, December 23, 2020 8:35:06 PM(UTC)
Voiceofreason

So I managed to get Windows to play audio at the same time from both the headphones and the Realtek speakers - It seems like the problem lies in vMix.

Looking at windows audio devices there are clearly two separate devices for headphones when plugged in - audio out (playback tab) and headphones mic in (recording tab). Both show levels in Windows when either listening or speaking into the headphone mic.

It turns out that vMix just isn't picking up the headphones audio out and instead only shows on headphone input which is the mic.

This explains why audio is actually heard through the headphones but the vMix levels are non existent.

Why is it that vMix isn't picking up the headphone audio out channel?

Any help in solving this is greatly appreciated as I've spent hours trying to work out the issue!

Thanks
DWAM  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, December 23, 2020 9:31:23 PM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Was thanked: 794 time(s) in 589 post(s)
I won't try to explain why but I think a software like VoiceMeeter Banana or Potato could help you solve this issue

https://vb-audio.com/Voicemeeter/potato.htm

It's basically a software audio mixer that sits in between the system audio devices and the softwares that use audio i/o. It has advanced audio routing features which, I believe, you need here on this new laptop. It also provides a sophisticated audio recorder and a few other things that might be handy.