logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
narcus  
#1 Posted : Saturday, May 16, 2020 9:10:56 PM(UTC)
narcus

Groups: Registered
Austria

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
ad support for custom file naming, for recorded files. Blackmagic Media Express is a good example of what I mean...In a stressy live production one can very quickly get the right name...even OBS is OK how they handle it. I only need a custom Name without any extra Info..like time date etc. and if the file name already exists just add a number automatically...like windows does when you download a file with the same name. At the moment we can not use vmix for recording, because of this limitations with the file names. More detals see this post from me: https://forums.vmix.com/posts/t21031-Clip-Name I always think that I must have missed something, that I can not do this in this powerful software, but it seems like it does not exist
doggy  
#2 Posted : Saturday, May 16, 2020 9:53:43 PM(UTC)
doggy

Belgium

Was thanked: 916 time(s) in 755 post(s)
Been autorenaming on the fly for years as hinted in the post you mentioned.

Stating one can not use vMix for lack of a direct function is a bit far fetched imo.
narcus  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, May 26, 2020 9:03:03 PM(UTC)
narcus

Austria

I am not asking for much..just a box where I can write my file name exactly as needed...I don't know any program that does not provide that...if the file name exist just ad a number without overwriting ….yes you gave me a hint and I did try some things. Unfortunately your hint hast the following problems:
1. I am lacking the expertise to do what you suggest
2. My Process after the recording is time critical...ffastrans picks up the file right after it is written to disk.
3. I have one process for files with the ending "_01" and a different process for files with the ending "_02" etc.
4. Blackmagic Cards are cheap. MediaXpress is free and great Software
5. I can also handover the output to OBS via NDI and do the recording there

Yes it is absurd that I have to use additional Hardware and a second software and use up extra resources from my PC just get my file names right

Maybe I misunderstood your “hint” but to me it sounds like, I have to hire someone to write a program for me, that does the renaming of the files plus an GUI where I can quickly change the names manually before the recording starts ( that's the only time slot I have)
RichDanby  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, May 26, 2020 11:09:09 PM(UTC)
RichDanby

United Kingdom

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 24 post(s)
Are you saying the renaming has to be quick as you are using ffastrans to monitor the folder? I've had a quick look at it and it has much more powerful file renaming options than vMix would ever have. I would have looked into it more but I get a virus warning when I try to install it.
doggy  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, May 27, 2020 1:34:49 AM(UTC)
doggy

Belgium

Was thanked: 916 time(s) in 755 post(s)
With a bit of tweaking (copy/rename instead of add as input) ,checking if already exists to add a sequence number, and drop it into another folder (so maintaining a original backup) for other software to respond to the addition .

https://www.vmix.com/kno...ding-to-vmix-as-an-input

I understand the frustration but i guess it not being implemented is due to everyone wanting it a different way and risk of overwriting or wrongly named , has to be done before the recording starts (not practical option for me), need backup or not etc especially if one likes it to become fully automated or even the way the vmix config is structured/handled .

This became clear in renaming for me based on Data Source values ( in a LT for example) , triggers , recording state and more

Doing it with a script gave me the added benefit of being more flexible in doing what i want with the result ranging from renaming a recording to snapshots instantly available for within titles (no way i am going to go around and take an image of one of a hundreds of participants if i can automate it during the line up or base a clip on the performer when i have a participants list available anyways. Often my renaming is based on a combination of multiple Data items as this way it becomes easier to categorize a group of clip. I just have no time to even fill in a box manually. If it were available as a shortcut than we are back to a bit of scripting again if data is going to be fast paced also (FYI i need to do a recording rename every 30 seconds to one minute)

I am with RichDanby that if there is a powerful external renamer (existing one or self scripted within vMix itself) it is going to be more flexible than a basic vMix one.

Again JMO

LeeL  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, May 27, 2020 6:52:25 AM(UTC)
LeeL

United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 2 post(s)
The long term solution is to implement Recording and Multicorder PRESETS.
This would be similar to Adobe Lightroom where you can create your Format, Naming, Size etc.

This way the recordings can be Where, How and What each user needs for their workflow.

export-preset-02.jpg (225kb) downloaded 0 time(s).
narcus  
#7 Posted : Friday, June 12, 2020 11:32:13 PM(UTC)
narcus

Austria

I think I am not able to explain what I need. I need a predictable filename that gets automatically generated after each start and stop recording. That way I can automate my process because I do completely different things with each segment of the recording.

Clip1_part01
Clip1_part02
Clip1_part03
Clip1_part04

then I manually enter “Clip2_part01”
Clip2_part01
Clip2_part02
Clip2_part03
Clip2_part04

with the time I can not predict the file name at least I don't know how. Renaming the last clip does not realy help...how would I solve the second set of files?
so I am asking for a naming solution without overwriting that generates automatically a predictable name. And in a perfect world it looks like the naming in Blackmagic Media Express :-) see below

log-capture@2x.jpg (64kb) downloaded 0 time(s).