logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
narcus  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, January 15, 2020 4:41:07 AM(UTC)
narcus

Groups: Registered
Austria

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
We do Horse racing, and we have a couple of thousand clips with the following naming convention

YYYY_MM_DD_01_01 so that would be 2020_01_14_01_01 Race 01 part 01 of Today's first race.

2020_01_14_01_02 this would be part two of race one etc.

Now we do this with Blackmagic Media express and when we stop the recording it automatically ads one digit at the end for the next recording. So all we have to do is press start and stop for the record.

How can I do this with vmix? There is a fairly complex automated workflow after the race, and it all depends on exactly those clip names. It seems so simple but I searched quite a bit, and can not find anything.
I would be already happy if I could manually generate those names for every part of the race. But I have to do it before the race correcting it afterwars is not an option, because we have no time to do that.
doggy  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, January 15, 2020 5:34:13 AM(UTC)
doggy

Belgium

Was thanked: 920 time(s) in 759 post(s)
First part is easy , check Settings-> recordings (Warning : need to add time to avoid overwriting )
Second part could probably done with a vMix script after stopping the recording and keeping track of some counters and add to the file name by checking last one recorded
There is some lead for that in the knowledge base under scripting

or process it externally linked to vMix (what we do) , Also don't like to do correcting afterwards , to many for that ;-)
thanks 1 user thanked doggy for this useful post.
narcus on 1/15/2020(UTC)
narcus  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, January 15, 2020 7:37:21 AM(UTC)
narcus

Austria

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
OK Thank you! I solved the easy part :-) by butting this in setting/recording/Filename Format: {1:yyyy_MM_dd_} {0} that generates 2020_01_14_ and under record I put the name: 01_01 and then I get 2020_01_14_01_01 an this is exactly what I want. So that is great! So this could be my manual workflow, if there wouldn't be the overwrite issue that you mention above...still surprised that this powerful software in version 23 has nothing user friendly built in. Waht do you mean by “process it externally linked to vMix „ How do you do that?
doggy  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, January 15, 2020 7:49:46 AM(UTC)
doggy

Belgium

Was thanked: 920 time(s) in 759 post(s)
I Guess its not standard because each user wants a different way (source) of renaming so whatever way it would be available it would't satisfy another ;-)
You require a number (based on what ? ) some one else from a data source and so on . Even if a rename function existed there still would need to be scripted due to that anyway and the operating system has way to rename, copy and more anyways

Quote:
Waht do you mean by “process it externally linked to vMix „ How do you do that?

While one can create a script within vMix one can do the same outside with an external app where you can build different checks or when and how and what etc
more suited to build in error checking , renaming criteria , transfer options, avoiding duplicates, leaving backups etc and its would be a standalone app that is more easily transferable to other Units.
Been using (created) one to auto rename a couple of thousand clips a day fully automated

By linked i mean it pulls various data and process checks from vMix