logo

Live Production Software Forums


Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Jaminchoe  
#1 Posted : Friday, May 1, 2020 6:41:47 PM(UTC)
Jaminchoe

Rank: Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 4/7/2020(UTC)
Posts: 11
Singapore
Location: Singapore

Thanks: 1 times
Hey guys, I was wondering if it was possible for someone to have remote (Not the same network) access to the web controller. As we are all on lockdown, I was seeing if there's a way I can get an extra set of hands onto my live stream. I was wondering if I could get someone in another home who is viewing the stream through vMix call to control certain functions for me.
Jaminchoe  
#2 Posted : Friday, May 1, 2020 8:42:18 PM(UTC)
Jaminchoe

Rank: Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 4/7/2020(UTC)
Posts: 11
Singapore
Location: Singapore

Thanks: 1 times
Hey guys, I've found the solution. It requires a dynamic DNS and Port forwarding + IP address reservation on my router.
stigaard  
#3 Posted : Friday, May 1, 2020 9:05:03 PM(UTC)
stigaard

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 5/20/2015(UTC)
Posts: 449
Man
Denmark
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark

Thanks: 301 times
Was thanked: 88 time(s) in 71 post(s)
I would not recommend that. Instead i would recommend a split tunnel VPN.
bRandom Media  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, July 29, 2020 12:34:39 PM(UTC)
bRandom Media

Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 7/29/2020(UTC)
Posts: 4

Thanks: 1 times
Originally Posted by: Jaminchoe Go to Quoted Post
Hey guys, I've found the solution. It requires a dynamic DNS and Port forwarding + IP address reservation on my router.


After the DDNS and port forwarding are set up, did you have to use vMix panel or something similar or could use vMix web control?



Originally Posted by: stigaard Go to Quoted Post
I would not recommend that. Instead i would recommend a split tunnel VPN.


Why not and what would your workflow look like in this case?
simond83  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, July 29, 2020 3:39:40 PM(UTC)
simond83

Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 5/25/2020(UTC)
Posts: 9

I use the iPad app over port 8088.....works a treat.
stigaard  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, July 29, 2020 4:28:03 PM(UTC)
stigaard

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 5/20/2015(UTC)
Posts: 449
Man
Denmark
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark

Thanks: 301 times
Was thanked: 88 time(s) in 71 post(s)
Exposing the web api of your vmix instance to the internet basically lets everyone control your vmix instance when knowing the url. Password protecting ghe web api still exposes possibility for ddos attacks.

A VPN solution requires a vpn server. Most modern routers has vpn server module built in. E.g. ubiquiti, netgear, and most other vendors.
bRandom Media  
#7 Posted : Friday, July 31, 2020 2:55:14 AM(UTC)
bRandom Media

Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 7/29/2020(UTC)
Posts: 4

Thanks: 1 times
Originally Posted by: stigaard Go to Quoted Post
Exposing the web api of your vmix instance to the internet basically lets everyone control your vmix instance when knowing the url. Password protecting ghe web api still exposes possibility for ddos attacks.

A VPN solution requires a vpn server. Most modern routers has vpn server module built in. E.g. ubiquiti, netgear, and most other vendors.




So I need to be able to take the solution to various locations for work (I stream for commercial productions). My, albeit, brief research leads me to believe that setting up a VPN is something that's done in one location, such as home or office, and not meant to move around.

I definitely want to give as much security as possible for clients but also need to have a solution that works for my situation.

To be honest, both DDNS and VPN are solutions I'm going to have to learn how to execute, so I'm just trying to figure out which is best for my case.

Thanks to everyone who continues to help with this.

ggudnason  
#8 Posted : Friday, July 31, 2020 4:48:38 AM(UTC)
ggudnason

Rank: Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 11/21/2014(UTC)
Posts: 17

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Originally Posted by: bRandom Media Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: stigaard Go to Quoted Post
Exposing the web api of your vmix instance to the internet basically lets everyone control your vmix instance when knowing the url. Password protecting ghe web api still exposes possibility for ddos attacks.

A VPN solution requires a vpn server. Most modern routers has vpn server module built in. E.g. ubiquiti, netgear, and most other vendors.




So I need to be able to take the solution to various locations for work (I stream for commercial productions). My, albeit, brief research leads me to believe that setting up a VPN is something that's done in one location, such as home or office, and not meant to move around.

I definitely want to give as much security as possible for clients but also need to have a solution that works for my situation.

To be honest, both DDNS and VPN are solutions I'm going to have to learn how to execute, so I'm just trying to figure out which is best for my case.

Thanks to everyone who continues to help with this.



You could also have a look at zerotier or tailscale.
Speegs  
#9 Posted : Friday, July 31, 2020 1:47:38 PM(UTC)
Speegs

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 8/3/2013(UTC)
Posts: 381
Location: Gold Coast, Australia

Thanks: 24 times
Was thanked: 70 time(s) in 55 post(s)
pagekite.net is another solution a lightweight reverse proxy, it's "might" be possible to add user authentication as well.

It's very cheap, you can change your url quickly if you wanted to and make your url as crazy as you like.

idareyoutoguessmy39891vmixurl.pagekite.me for instance :)
thanks 1 user thanked Speegs for this useful post.
bRandom Media on 8/2/2020(UTC)
bRandom Media  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, August 4, 2020 2:37:35 AM(UTC)
bRandom Media

Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 7/29/2020(UTC)
Posts: 4

Thanks: 1 times
Hi all,

I'm feeling pretty over my head at this point.

I really need to find and test potential solutions but also need a bit more specific direction.

What I'm trying to accomplish:

Give client on the other side of the country access to the web controller for our stream that is usually run over wirelessly over our local network. Ideally the solution will be secure or, at minimum, able to be monitored for any tampering.

Caveat:
I need to be able to set this up at a new location every time. It won't be run from my home or from a single office, but multiple offices.


I don't know if there is a solution that exists but I'm trying to find one until vMix finds their own.
bRandom Media  
#11 Posted : Saturday, August 8, 2020 2:43:56 AM(UTC)
bRandom Media

Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 7/29/2020(UTC)
Posts: 4

Thanks: 1 times
Originally Posted by: bRandom Media Go to Quoted Post
Hi all,

I'm feeling pretty over my head at this point.

I really need to find and test potential solutions but also need a bit more specific direction.

What I'm trying to accomplish:

Give client on the other side of the country access to the web controller for our stream that is usually run over wirelessly over our local network. Ideally the solution will be secure or, at minimum, able to be monitored for any tampering.

Caveat:
I need to be able to set this up at a new location every time. It won't be run from my home or from a single office, but multiple offices.


I don't know if there is a solution that exists but I'm trying to find one until vMix finds their own.




Solved it. It was a port forwarding issue.
Users browsing this topic
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.