logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Jaminchoe  
#1 Posted : Friday, May 1, 2020 6:41:47 PM(UTC)
Jaminchoe

Groups: Registered
Singapore

Hey guys, I was wondering if it was possible for someone to have remote (Not the same network) access to the web controller. As we are all on lockdown, I was seeing if there's a way I can get an extra set of hands onto my live stream. I was wondering if I could get someone in another home who is viewing the stream through vMix call to control certain functions for me.
Jaminchoe  
#2 Posted : Friday, May 1, 2020 8:42:18 PM(UTC)
Jaminchoe

Singapore

Hey guys, I've found the solution. It requires a dynamic DNS and Port forwarding + IP address reservation on my router.
stigaard  
#3 Posted : Friday, May 1, 2020 9:05:03 PM(UTC)
stigaard

Man
Denmark

Was thanked: 100 time(s) in 79 post(s)
I would not recommend that. Instead i would recommend a split tunnel VPN.
bRandom Media  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, July 29, 2020 12:34:39 PM(UTC)
bRandom Media

Originally Posted by: Jaminchoe Go to Quoted Post
Hey guys, I've found the solution. It requires a dynamic DNS and Port forwarding + IP address reservation on my router.

After the DDNS and port forwarding are set up, did you have to use vMix panel or something similar or could use vMix web control?

Originally Posted by: stigaard Go to Quoted Post
I would not recommend that. Instead i would recommend a split tunnel VPN.

Why not and what would your workflow look like in this case?
simond83  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, July 29, 2020 3:39:40 PM(UTC)
simond83

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I use the iPad app over port 8088.....works a treat.
stigaard  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, July 29, 2020 4:28:03 PM(UTC)
stigaard

Man
Denmark

Was thanked: 100 time(s) in 79 post(s)
Exposing the web api of your vmix instance to the internet basically lets everyone control your vmix instance when knowing the url. Password protecting ghe web api still exposes possibility for ddos attacks.

A VPN solution requires a vpn server. Most modern routers has vpn server module built in. E.g. ubiquiti, netgear, and most other vendors.
bRandom Media  
#7 Posted : Friday, July 31, 2020 2:55:14 AM(UTC)
bRandom Media

Exposing the web api of your vmix instance to the internet basically lets everyone control your vmix instance when knowing the url. Password protecting ghe web api still exposes possibility for ddos attacks.

A VPN solution requires a vpn server. Most modern routers has vpn server module built in. E.g. ubiquiti, netgear, and most other vendors.

So I need to be able to take the solution to various locations for work (I stream for commercial productions). My, albeit, brief research leads me to believe that setting up a VPN is something that's done in one location, such as home or office, and not meant to move around.

I definitely want to give as much security as possible for clients but also need to have a solution that works for my situation.

To be honest, both DDNS and VPN are solutions I'm going to have to learn how to execute, so I'm just trying to figure out which is best for my case.

Thanks to everyone who continues to help with this.

ggudnason  
#8 Posted : Friday, July 31, 2020 4:48:38 AM(UTC)
ggudnason

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Originally Posted by: bRandom Media Go to Quoted Post

So I need to be able to take the solution to various locations for work (I stream for commercial productions). My, albeit, brief research leads me to believe that setting up a VPN is something that's done in one location, such as home or office, and not meant to move around.

I definitely want to give as much security as possible for clients but also need to have a solution that works for my situation.

To be honest, both DDNS and VPN are solutions I'm going to have to learn how to execute, so I'm just trying to figure out which is best for my case.

Thanks to everyone who continues to help with this.

You could also have a look at zerotier or tailscale.
Speegs  
#9 Posted : Friday, July 31, 2020 1:47:38 PM(UTC)
Speegs

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 58 post(s)
pagekite.net is another solution a lightweight reverse proxy, it's "might" be possible to add user authentication as well.

It's very cheap, you can change your url quickly if you wanted to and make your url as crazy as you like.

idareyoutoguessmy39891vmixurl.pagekite.me for instance :)
thanks 1 user thanked Speegs for this useful post.
bRandom Media on 8/2/2020(UTC)
bRandom Media  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, August 4, 2020 2:37:35 AM(UTC)
bRandom Media

Hi all,

I'm feeling pretty over my head at this point.

I really need to find and test potential solutions but also need a bit more specific direction.

What I'm trying to accomplish:

Give client on the other side of the country access to the web controller for our stream that is usually run over wirelessly over our local network. Ideally the solution will be secure or, at minimum, able to be monitored for any tampering.

Caveat:
I need to be able to set this up at a new location every time. It won't be run from my home or from a single office, but multiple offices.

I don't know if there is a solution that exists but I'm trying to find one until vMix finds their own.
bRandom Media  
#11 Posted : Saturday, August 8, 2020 2:43:56 AM(UTC)
bRandom Media

Originally Posted by: bRandom Media Go to Quoted Post
Hi all,

I'm feeling pretty over my head at this point.

I really need to find and test potential solutions but also need a bit more specific direction.

What I'm trying to accomplish:

Give client on the other side of the country access to the web controller for our stream that is usually run over wirelessly over our local network. Ideally the solution will be secure or, at minimum, able to be monitored for any tampering.

Caveat:
I need to be able to set this up at a new location every time. It won't be run from my home or from a single office, but multiple offices.

I don't know if there is a solution that exists but I'm trying to find one until vMix finds their own.

Solved it. It was a port forwarding issue.
Speegs  
#12 Posted : Monday, August 17, 2020 10:25:46 AM(UTC)
Speegs

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 58 post(s)
Great it was just a port forward.

Pagekite while simple in concept, is not simple to get running. You had to install python on Windows, read documentation and edit text files. Nothing super hard in isolation, but add all those steps up and it can be overwhelming :)
Sebastian.onvista  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, April 11, 2023 7:02:52 PM(UTC)
Sebastian.onvista

Man
Germany

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi all, can someone tell me what exactly is the solution now to be able to access the vMix webcontroller outside (i.e. not from the same network)?
I am unfortunately sitting at another location and need to control the show from home. Unfortunately vMix does not offer the possibility.
is there now a solution for this and maybe a step by step guide? Thanks a lot for your help.
nikosman88  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, April 11, 2023 9:16:42 PM(UTC)
nikosman88

Greece

Was thanked: 52 time(s) in 49 post(s)
Hello. Using zerotier vpn you are able to control vmix webcontroller from outside your local network. Other solution is full control of vmix pc via a remote control sw like anydesk,parsec, rustdesk etc