logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
davesuemcbride  
#1 Posted : Monday, March 31, 2014 12:11:22 AM(UTC)
davesuemcbride

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Hi Forum - I'm looking for a small fixed camera to include in a broadcast, but it's remote so use of a capture card is out of question.

From what I read, it'd be a kluge trying to get a GoPro to stream effectively, but wanted to make sure I'm not missing something. I'm fine with using an intermediary like Wowza, but looks like limitations prevent Hero 3 from pushing RTMP to a server (i.e. Wowza), or having RTSP pulled from it (i.e. vMix Stream input). I also read a post that the Hero 3 limits it's http streaming to 320x240 over WiFi, which is hard to believe but would be nice to confirm / deny.

More generally, any recommendations for a setup with:

- integrated camera, encoding, WiFi (or Ethernet if need be)
- 1080p30
- single USB power source (lots of big battery choices)
- station mode WiFi (not access point like GoPro) w/configurable IP
- ideally RTSP server
- less ideally RTMP client

Interestingly, iPhone 5 gets close using Wowza GoCoder app, but giving up my phone during a broadcast stinks...

Ubiquiti airCam also almost makes it, but no WiFi (though plays well w/UBNT WiFi products), and mainly the image quality isn't quite there.

Thanks!
MrFreeze  
#2 Posted : Monday, March 31, 2014 10:03:00 AM(UTC)
MrFreeze

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I can confirm the streaming size of the hero 3 is indeed 320 x 240 with a 2-4 second delay

How much you looking to spend on this? Teradek have some great products that will do the job.
thanks 1 user thanked MrFreeze for this useful post.
davesuemcbride on 4/4/2014(UTC)
davesuemcbride  
#3 Posted : Friday, April 4, 2014 1:34:12 AM(UTC)
davesuemcbride

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
MrFreeze wrote:
I can confirm the streaming size of the hero 3 is indeed 320 x 240 with a 2-4 second delay

How much you looking to spend on this? Teradek have some great products that will do the job.

Thanks Freeze - indeed Cubes are wonderful, but this is for a bridge with too much foot traffic and too little supervision. Hoping to cut down on piece & cable count as well.

After writing the original query I actually plunked $ on an iPad Mini Retina. I do lose some frames at 1080p30, but what does get through looks very good. Biggest advantage is integration - one 11 Amp/Hour external battery does 9+ hours, and the MIMO Wi-Fi can do >70 mb over 300+ feet using a Ubiquiti 5MHz dish as the AP. Was about to build the cage that would give it a fighting chance of getting through each day unstolen, but then found out that city regulatory issues cut the course by 300 yards anyway, so no point - oh well...

Thanks for the reply!
David