logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ben1000  
#1 Posted : Thursday, June 20, 2019 1:51:58 AM(UTC)
ben1000

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Howdy, all...

I'm doing some multi-langauge streaming where we split up our program video to 3 or 4 different vmix systems and input a translated audio stream... We stream these out to 3 or 4 different streams that a viewer can choose between...

I'm wondering if there's an easy solution to instead have just 1 video feed and 1 video player, but with the option to select the language that is being heard? I feel this would be easier for our client, but I haven't yet found a solution that's as easy as just have 3 or 4 completely separate streams..

Please let me know if you have any ideas.

Best,

Ben

Benjamin Freedman
PrimeImage Media
480-399-0000 - direct
480-240-9270 - office
866-549-6051 - fax
ben@PrimeImageMedia.com
www.PrimeImageMedia.com
mjgraves  
#2 Posted : Thursday, June 20, 2019 3:24:45 AM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

Was thanked: 263 time(s) in 233 post(s)
It happens that I work in the space, at least tangentially. The company I work for is an audio conference service that basically invented the ability to deliver simultaneous interpretation over-the-phone. This was done at the request of a UN agency, who wanted to hold conference calls in the same manner that they held meetings in New York and Geneva. The UN is mandated to do everything in their 8 official languages.

With respect to streaming, I would think that you might encode multiple versions of the stream, each with a different language. That means a different URL for each language. A web client could have some logic to select language, but it's basically changing URLs. So really quite simple.

There may be other approaches, like making supplemental languages available as an audio stream, separate from the video. That implies a lot more intelligence in the client, and pretty much assures that A/V sync will be slippery.

In truth, A/V sync is not that big a deal since the process of interpretation itself means that the other languages are typically a bit behind. Sometimes just couple seconds. Other times, and with different language combinations, they can be many seconds behind.

In some languages the object/verb order is reversed, for example English vs German. As a result, the interpreter will listen to an entire phrase or sentence in German before being able to say the English equivalent.

As an example of how this is done, you might look at VoiceBoxer. They deliver multilingual webinars. Here's an example. It's just the english channel. When a non-English speaker is presenting you hear the interpreter.

desmar  
#3 Posted : Thursday, June 20, 2019 9:25:50 AM(UTC)
desmar

Man
Canada

Was thanked: 80 time(s) in 60 post(s)
Another option if you use Youtube is to create a multi-camera event
of the same video with different audio..

Setup multi-camera events

With thumbnails for each camera Audio.

EN
FR
etc..

You use different streamkey for each language and same URL in vMix and the end user would have only 1 link to click on. Then they could switch from language to language with same video by selecting camera thumbnails.
thanks 1 user thanked desmar for this useful post.
mjgraves on 6/21/2019(UTC)