logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jordisilv  
#1 Posted : Thursday, February 7, 2019 7:24:57 AM(UTC)
jordisilv

Groups: Registered
Spain

Hi! I've been using vMix about two years on a GTX970 without any issue. Recently I've bought a DELL Vostro 3568, (in order to manage titles through NDI for the main PC). This laptop has double graphics card:

Intel UHD 620 (integrated on CPU)
Radeon 520 2GB (dedicated)

I'm using the radeon on Adobe Premiere with no issues, but I'm not able to make the radeon work with vMix. If I enable NDI on the DELL laptop (send titles to the main PC), open any input (like NDI from main PC) and try to stream to e.g. youtube, the video is frame lossing, and the CPU near 100%. Obviously, the Radeon GPU stays at 0% load.

Any idea? Any help would be appreciated. :)

P.S.
Radeon drivers updated.
Radeon is not detected at performace settings on vMix.
VMix 4K license.
vMix on latest version (21.0.0.60)
Barney Box Lane  
#2 Posted : Friday, February 8, 2019 11:38:09 PM(UTC)
Barney Box Lane

Was thanked: 33 time(s) in 29 post(s)
Don't take my word for it but I don't think Radeon is listed as recommended hardware. I've only ever heard them recommend GTX graphics cards.
SportsNetUSA.net  
#3 Posted : Saturday, February 9, 2019 11:12:02 AM(UTC)
SportsNetUSA.net

Was thanked: 123 time(s) in 115 post(s)
BBL is correct. vMix is designed to take advantage of NVIDIA GTX GPUs (take a look at the vMix Reference Systems builds).

Have you run vMix Diagnostics Utility? Maybe there is a program interfering with vMix.

https://www.vmix.com/knowledgeba...spx/160/vmix-diagnostics

UserPostedImage
jordisilv  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, February 12, 2019 1:16:59 AM(UTC)
jordisilv

Spain

Originally Posted by: Barney Box Lane Go to Quoted Post
Don't take my word for it but I don't think Radeon is listed as recommended hardware. I've only ever heard them recommend GTX graphics cards.

Thanks for answering! I know radeon cards are not recommended, but I thought that between not recommending them and not working there was a stretch, hence my question. I think it may be more a configuration problem or driver discovering from vMix than a real incompatibility.
I'm not looking for impressive performance, I just want it to work a little better than with integrated intel.
Thanks again!

Originally Posted by: SportsNetUSA.net Go to Quoted Post
BBL is correct. vMix is designed to take advantage of NVIDIA GTX GPUs (take a look at the vMix Reference Systems builds).

Have you run vMix Diagnostics Utility? Maybe there is a program interfering with vMix.

Thanks, I'll try!
Joeboe  
#5 Posted : Friday, August 23, 2019 4:58:14 AM(UTC)
Joeboe

Was thanked: 32 time(s) in 31 post(s)
Even though ATI cards are not recommended, I have always built PCs using Sapphire Radeon cards and never had any issues with them..All systems worked flawless, and I find Radeon drivers very stable....maybe Martin should try building around both cards....I have had many issues with nVidia drivers in the past, and that is why I use ATI cards never an issue.....but maybe there is something else causing your issue
on_call  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, September 17, 2019 11:43:56 PM(UTC)
on_call

United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I used a Radeon Pro 560x in a MacBook Pro last year without issue (compared to previously used Quadro mobile graphics). Three 1080p HD-SDI feeds via Thunderbolt 3 and mono XLR via usb-c. I don't recommend the MacBook Pro as a suitable workstation, but it worked fine for my situation.

I really prefer AMD processors and drivers to Intel/Nvidia, but it'll be usb 4.0 before it's suitable for me with Vmix on a laptop.
mjgraves  
#7 Posted : Monday, September 23, 2019 12:33:20 PM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

Was thanked: 263 time(s) in 233 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Joeboe Go to Quoted Post
Even though ATI cards are not recommended, I have always built PCs using Sapphire Radeon cards and never had any issues with them..All systems worked flawless, and I find Radeon drivers very stable....maybe Martin should try building around both cards....I have had many issues with nVidia drivers in the past, and that is why I use ATI cards never an issue.....but maybe there is something else causing your issue

Radeon cards don't have hardware H.264 encoding on board. The availability of NVENC is a huge advantage for nVidia.

vMix is specifically architected around nVidia hardware. Your suggestion that this be reconsidered shows zero understanding of the complexities involved. It's as ridiculous as insisting they offer an OSX version.

If you intend to use vMix, you should respect their hardware recommendations.
shinyidol  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, September 24, 2019 2:03:00 PM(UTC)
shinyidol

United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Quote:
Radeon cards don't have hardware H.264 encoding on board. The availability of NVENC is a huge advantage for nVidia.
100% false. Radeon cards have supported hardware acceleration for h.264 since 2014 with VCE and AMF.

Feel free to debate the quality (which AMD is behind) and poor drivers, but saying that Radeon cards don't have h.264 hardware encoding it just flat out false.

Quote:
vMix is specifically architected around nVidia hardware.
Also false. FFMPEG is the primary encoder for vMix, which supports nVidia and AMD hardware encoding. Again, there might be favoritism because VCE/AMF isn't as good as NVENC in terms of speed and quality. But saying vMix is "specifically architected" is false.

Quote:
If you intend to use vMix, you should respect their hardware recommendations.
Recommendations are just that, recommendations, and most likely based on what hardware they have access to being in AU, not because vMix is hardware locked.

If I was developing only a AMD CPU and AMD GPU, that is what I'd recommend because that is what I have and can test against, not because it won't work on other hardware.

Perhaps do some research before posting next time.
thanks 1 user thanked shinyidol for this useful post.
bgbenni on 9/24/2019(UTC)
mjgraves  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, September 25, 2019 1:15:44 AM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

Was thanked: 263 time(s) in 233 post(s)
Originally Posted by: shinyidol Go to Quoted Post
Perhaps do some research before posting next time.

vMix specifically supports hardware video encoding using NVENC and Intel Quicksync. This dramatically extends what possible on a single system.

It does NOT have any specific support for AMD GPUs. They're very clear about this. That is all that matters.