logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
MikeBenke  
#1 Posted : Friday, October 12, 2018 8:48:42 AM(UTC)
MikeBenke

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
triggers.png (17kb) downloaded 2 time(s).

Hi!

I'm trying to pause an animated overlay at different points automatically with triggers. This method shows promise, but it does not work consistently. The first pause happens pretty much every time, but after that it is a crap shoot as to when and if it will happen. I bring it in by using the 1-4 overlay buttons, and then advance it by hitting the play button.

So either I am doing something wrong (probably) or there is a problem with timing.

Thanks in advance for any light that can be shed!
Mike
ask  
#2 Posted : Friday, October 12, 2018 10:29:39 AM(UTC)
ask

Australia

Was thanked: 199 time(s) in 181 post(s)
Mike, As I understand it the triggers are triggered sequentially. 1,2,3,4 etc, so there may be a slight delay between the 1st action starting and the 2nd etc. What delays are you getting?

Also if you are pausing and then restarting how will it know to trigger correctly? You have it set to count from the OverlayIn transition.

Maybe there needs to be a few more triggers (FR).

OnPause
OnPlay

Andrew
MikeBenke  
#3 Posted : Friday, October 12, 2018 11:18:05 AM(UTC)
MikeBenke

Hi Andrew, to be clear, I only use overlay button 1, to start the animation playing back. It pauses as expected the first time pretty consistently. To advance, I use the play button near the input. It is at this point that things go wrong. Sometimes it will pause from the programmed trigger, but not where I expect and not every time.

So it is entirely possible that I am misunderstanding how to use it.

I’m not sure how to answer your question about how it will know to trigger correctly. It does seem that either this behavior is simply not currently supported or I’m trying to do this the wrong.

Thanks again for the brain power!

admin  
#4 Posted : Friday, October 12, 2018 11:40:24 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4136 time(s) in 1487 post(s)
Hi Mike,

Triggers work sequentially. The list is processed immediately after the event, one by one according to the delay.
In your setup it is currently working as follows:

1. OverlayIn occurs
2. Wait 1 second
3. Pause video
4. Wait 2 seconds
5. Pause video again
6. Wait 3 seconds

And so on.
Based on this, note that pausing the video does not pause the tiggers, as they all run one by one
after the event and will not pause or change in duration based on any other action.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Martin
vMix
MikeBenke  
#5 Posted : Friday, October 12, 2018 1:28:12 PM(UTC)
MikeBenke

Thanks Martin for the explanation. I now understand why what happens... happens. Out of curiosity, what steps would you suggest to accomplish the effect I'm looking for?

If you think you've got it, you can skip the following long winded explanation and go straight to your answer, if not or you're not too terribly busy at the moment, the scenario is this...

I wish to create a single, animated, overlay graphic file that contains a series of pictures which change once every second in the animation. I wish to have vMix begin playing the animated overlay, programming a pause in at each second. I will then commentate while paused and when finished, I hit a button to proceed to the next graphic at which point it will pause automatically again... and so on...

Why?

In theory, doing it this way will reduce my graphic creation/render time (avoid creating and saving multiple files from Panamation), and make it easier to manage in vMix vs. importing a series of animations that would require either multiple inputs or a playlist to manage.

Since this is unscripted, probably unwatched commentary, (yay internet streaming!) there is no telling how long I will rant on each graphic in the animation, thus the attempted pause trigger. When everyone in the chat room (or my imagination) has finally heard enough about the 1971 Ford Torino sitting in pieces in my garage (or I've run out of breath), it would be nice to hit one button that would advance to the next graphic pause point without me having to ride the pause button, potentially missing my short window before the graphic begins to move on to the next..making me look like some kind of poorly timed streaming idiot. :)

Lot's to unpack here so I'll give you a minute..What time is it there?

All seriousness,
Thanks again for sharing,
Mike

mavik  
#6 Posted : Friday, October 12, 2018 5:09:04 PM(UTC)
mavik

Man

Was thanked: 164 time(s) in 146 post(s)
I don't know if the source is a perfect sequence of 1 sec long animations. If so you could just use the first trigger you have and set the source to
- autoplay with transition
- automatically pause after transition

Then all you have to do is trigger transition. In your case Overlay1 ON/OFF

The outcome will be:
sec 0 to 1 play
trigger will pause it
off
on (sec 1 to 2)
trigger will pause it
and so on

So each time you toggle overlay 1 you will advance the footage by 1 sec.
If one sec isn't long enough you can adjust the length of the animations and make each animation the same length.

But maybe I'm totally wrong with what you want to achieve
MartLeib  
#7 Posted : Friday, October 12, 2018 5:16:17 PM(UTC)
MartLeib

Estonia

Was thanked: 52 time(s) in 42 post(s)
Seems like I'm not alone in this boat.. I'd have this approach.

FR: https://forums.vmix.com/...Out-based-on-time-frames
MikeBenke  
#8 Posted : Friday, October 12, 2018 10:36:53 PM(UTC)
MikeBenke

It sounds about right Mavik, To be clear, the overlay should remain visible the entire time, I’m just wanting to pause and then continue playback without having to ride the pause button.

I really appreciate all the response on this one. I feel Ike what I’m looking for would be a macro or trigger that reads like:
On Play Command, play, wait 1000ms, pause. X-keys may be able to do this. I will test it later and report back.

admin  
#9 Posted : Saturday, October 13, 2018 12:21:48 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4136 time(s) in 1487 post(s)
I can say with certainty that precise timing of events like this is not what Triggers is designed for unfortunately.
It is mainly for production automation such as turning on or off microphones, recordings etc.

I'm not sure I understand the use case entirely though as it sounds like something simple like the Photos input in vMix
should be used if it is a series of still images in a slideshow.

If there are other animations as well, I would make them a separate layer.

MikeBenke  
#10 Posted : Saturday, October 13, 2018 4:15:42 AM(UTC)
MikeBenke

Thanks for the suggestion, I will give that a shot. The main concern is reliable, programmable behavior.

Here's my stab at a use-case:

When I hit a button (play shortcut), the machine in me wants to look into the camera and start commenting about a graphic right way, the same predictable way, every time. The way I've been doing it, (admittedly, probably wrong) I have to split my focus between the message I want to deliver and the control that I have execute (button press,pause) which is dangerous for me because I'm human and I'll be sure to mess both my message delivery and the button press up... especially when there is more than one graphic. :)