logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Church_livestream  
#1 Posted : Thursday, October 11, 2018 10:45:16 PM(UTC)
Church_livestream

Groups: Registered

Can we have a pop-up window to confirm that we want to close an input, or move the "close" button to the upper right corner as a "normal window would be to close? I have multiple times closed an input on accident when trying to select the "#1" and no way of quickly bringing back without restarting vmix
DWAM  
#2 Posted : Thursday, October 11, 2018 10:54:35 PM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Was thanked: 515 time(s) in 414 post(s)
Quote:
no way of quickly bringing back without restarting vmix

??? Yes there is

When you close an input, you just have to click the upper left icon (circle arrow next to "last" button) to restore last closed input.

Please read the manual sometimes instead of requesting features that already exist !!!!

Guillaume
rowby  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, October 17, 2018 2:47:45 PM(UTC)
rowby

Man

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 18 post(s)
+1

Hello Everybody,

Even with the “restore” feature, it would be better to have a confirmation Popup , such as Church_Livestream suggests — to prevent accidental closing of inputs in the first place.

During a live stream, you don’t want to accidentally close an input. It could immediately cause chaos in a live production — and I am sure it very often does.

Even if Church_Livestream was aware of the “restore” feature, his/her request for a confirmation Popup is a legitimate feature request. It makes sense and that is what user interface designers look for. They look for common issues with a program and keep tweaking it so it is more intuitive and less prone for accidental mistakes exactly like this.

For example, In many vMix productions you might have volunteers helping out, who could very easily accidentally close an input. It is much too easy to do that.

You can’t expect everyone, especially volunteers, who help out in a vMix production to read all of the documentation.

Have you read every documentation page of your video editing/ PowerPoint/ Microsoft Word software? Do you know every single one of their features?

Even experienced vMix users are not aware of its many features. You kinda learn much of vMix as you go along. Certainly Newbies using vMix for the first few productions are going to try the program out before they read every single page of the documentation and become experts in every single command and function.

I’m great at Illustrator but I certainly don’t know all of its features. Do you?

I would say that 90 percent of vMix users have no idea that this restore feature exists.

So Bravo to Church_Livestream for making this excellent suggestion. It is a serious flaw and it can easily be fixed with a confirmation Popup.

Best,
Rowby
BETech  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, October 17, 2018 3:12:19 PM(UTC)
BETech

Was thanked: 77 time(s) in 52 post(s)
I agree with Rowby and Church_livestream. Closing an input can have unpredictable results, particularly when shortcuts (midi/activators/api) are in use, even for a short period of time. Yes the Undo button is available, and that is an excellent feature, though in a live production, time may elapse before the operator realises that the Input has been closed.

A simple .Net MessageBox, with the default action ‘NO’ or ‘CANCEL’ would suffice. The MessageBox should not be Modal, but rather OnTopMost, so that the production may continue while the MessageBox is displayed and a User response is actioned. This would provide a better User experience.
thanks 1 user thanked BETech for this useful post.
rowby on 10/17/2018(UTC)
rowby  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, October 17, 2018 3:55:54 PM(UTC)
rowby

Man

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 18 post(s)
Hi BETeach

Your suggestion for a net message box is better than my popup suggestion.

To further explain the necessity to prevent accidental closings of inputs....

Often times we may have no idea that an input has been accidentally closed. We may not be aware of it until another day — and we reopen vMix and get ready to go live — and an input has disappeared.

Restore is not going to help in this situation.

Rebuilding an input can be a major task. Rebuilding and repositioning a multiview,for example, is a major headache.

A missing input can completely screw up shortcuts, xkeys etc. etc etc.

And you have to go live in 60 seconds!!!

Rowby
Barney Box Lane  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, October 17, 2018 9:38:00 PM(UTC)
Barney Box Lane

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 18 post(s)
can we just move close input into the settings area? I can't think of a reason you'd want it on the live interface, we've got deep into shows and then realised someone's deleted something and we don't know what.
thanks 1 user thanked Barney Box Lane for this useful post.
rowby on 10/17/2018(UTC)
richardgatarski  
#7 Posted : Friday, October 19, 2018 7:00:29 PM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Was thanked: 189 time(s) in 157 post(s)
Quote:
pop-up window to confirm

+1 (noting this has been requested many times before)
and I agree with rowby's remarks - sorry DWAM ;)