logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
imrwrk  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, October 31, 2017 4:00:39 PM(UTC)
imrwrk

Groups: Registered

Martin,
Please include the support for CEA-608 encoding. Youtube and Fackbook live both support embedded captions option and it would be great not to use open captions for live options which are required in all educational videos these days. Thanks
richardgatarski  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, November 1, 2017 4:55:50 AM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Was thanked: 232 time(s) in 195 post(s)
@imrwrk, how do you envision your production flow for closed captions? Sure YouTube supports CEA-608 for live streams, but I am not sure that Facebook does that. Furthermore, CEA-608 "used to be the standard for closed captioning for NTSC TV broadcasts in the United States", whereas I guess vMix users mostly work with digital video and quite a few of us have their market outside the US. And you still need to get the captions from somewhere. See also a few posts in the discussion topic Automatic Closed Caption s and a discussion in the Streaming Idiots group on Facebook.
imrwrk  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, November 1, 2017 5:23:51 PM(UTC)
imrwrk

Richard, for many years I used windows media encoder to encode the embed line 21 signal and pass that along to the player which use just toggle the CC button to view it. I am currently injecting live captioning to my sdi signal using captioning encoder so I would be like if possible for vmix to pass that signal to the stream. I believe both youtube live and facebook live support embedded 608/708 captions in the stream
tracecomplete  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, November 17, 2020 4:14:37 PM(UTC)
tracecomplete

United States

Bump. I'm going to multilanguage closed captioning for an ongoing project and having vMix inject 608/708 captions would be a much more straightforward solution than what I'm likely to be stuck with.