logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
imrwrk  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, October 31, 2017 4:00:39 PM(UTC)
imrwrk

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Martin,
Please include the support for CEA-608 encoding. Youtube and Fackbook live both support embedded captions option and it would be great not to use open captions for live options which are required in all educational videos these days. Thanks
thanks 2 users thanked imrwrk for this useful post.
jalooy on 12/11/2020(UTC), vojtad on 2/5/2021(UTC)
richardgatarski  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, November 1, 2017 4:55:50 AM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Was thanked: 292 time(s) in 246 post(s)
@imrwrk, how do you envision your production flow for closed captions? Sure YouTube supports CEA-608 for live streams, but I am not sure that Facebook does that. Furthermore, CEA-608 "used to be the standard for closed captioning for NTSC TV broadcasts in the United States", whereas I guess vMix users mostly work with digital video and quite a few of us have their market outside the US. And you still need to get the captions from somewhere. See also a few posts in the discussion topic Automatic Closed Caption s and a discussion in the Streaming Idiots group on Facebook.
thanks 1 user thanked richardgatarski for this useful post.
jalooy on 12/11/2020(UTC)
imrwrk  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, November 1, 2017 5:23:51 PM(UTC)
imrwrk

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Richard, for many years I used windows media encoder to encode the embed line 21 signal and pass that along to the player which use just toggle the CC button to view it. I am currently injecting live captioning to my sdi signal using captioning encoder so I would be like if possible for vmix to pass that signal to the stream. I believe both youtube live and facebook live support embedded 608/708 captions in the stream
thanks 1 user thanked imrwrk for this useful post.
jalooy on 12/11/2020(UTC)
tracecomplete  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, November 17, 2020 4:14:37 PM(UTC)
tracecomplete

United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Bump. I'm going to multilanguage closed captioning for an ongoing project and having vMix inject 608/708 captions would be a much more straightforward solution than what I'm likely to be stuck with.
thanks 2 users thanked tracecomplete for this useful post.
jalooy on 12/11/2020(UTC), vojtad on 2/5/2021(UTC)
jalooy  
#5 Posted : Friday, December 11, 2020 3:56:05 AM(UTC)
jalooy

Canada

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Would love for CEA 608/708 to be supported by vMIX. I'm looking for an all in one solution that an operator can use on one laptop from home.
thanks 1 user thanked jalooy for this useful post.
vojtad on 2/5/2021(UTC)
vojtad  
#6 Posted : Friday, February 5, 2021 8:41:00 PM(UTC)
vojtad

Czech Republic

We would also really like to see vMix support for streaming CEA-608 closed captions.

We stream lots of pre-recorded videos and we have subtitles ready for them and we would like to stream them with video so they can be turned on/off in the player.
We mainly stream to our own Wowza Streaming Engine server and we have a custom player. However, this should also work with Facebook and YouTube since they both support CEA-608 closed captions.

Is there anything we can do to help to implement this feature? We might be even able to donate some cash if it is something that would help.
thanks 1 user thanked vojtad for this useful post.
jalooy on 2/17/2021(UTC)
Bao  
#7 Posted : Friday, February 12, 2021 12:29:28 AM(UTC)
Bao

Czech Republic

I have the same situation, and would hugely welcome such feature - so far there is no known way to stream the subtitles together with the video apart from hardcoding it.

Thank you!
thanks 1 user thanked Bao for this useful post.
jalooy on 2/17/2021(UTC)
hirdhird  
#8 Posted : Saturday, February 13, 2021 2:26:23 AM(UTC)
hirdhird

United States

+1!
thanks 1 user thanked hirdhird for this useful post.
jalooy on 2/17/2021(UTC)
richardgatarski  
#9 Posted : Saturday, February 13, 2021 3:09:50 AM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Was thanked: 292 time(s) in 246 post(s)
(make no mistake, I have been wanting closed captions for years in vMix).

To begin with CEA-708 might be better, since it supports more character sets (national characters). And a growing number of CDN's support that (and 608).

But I am not sure if it is even possible to have caption encoding made in software. If it is, that would be HUGE since hardware caption encoders are pretty expensive and complicated, typically SDI-based.

One important question is how you think the captions will come into vMix? The majority of (professional) captioners/stenographers/reporters/re-speakers use many different software tools when they do their thing. Some tools can emulate a keyboard (but not from remote locations). In addition, captions are more than a flow of characters. It is words, hyphenations, caption lines, timings, etc. The pro tools supports one or more of the many captioning protocols. Which one(s) should vMix support?

If you are bored with Netflix you can watch my 30 minute talk "Live web streaming with subtitles: Challenges, lessons, and new ideas" (of course it features vMix) which I presented at the recent 7th International Symposium Live Subtitling and Accessibility.
thanks 1 user thanked richardgatarski for this useful post.
jalooy on 2/17/2021(UTC)
Sagar007  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, February 17, 2021 6:31:29 AM(UTC)
Sagar007

Canada

Hello guys, which CC service do you use for live events? Our corporate event team uses vMIX for a variety of live events. Our go-to captioning device inserts CEA608/708 metadata into our program feed before being sent to vMIX however the metadata is never processed by vMIX. We would like to be able to have closed captioning without using a cloud service and avoid having to burn in captions. Any help is much appreciated.
thanks 1 user thanked Sagar007 for this useful post.
jalooy on 2/17/2021(UTC)
deltacx  
#11 Posted : Monday, February 22, 2021 6:15:00 PM(UTC)
deltacx

Just to add to this... I'd like to see vMix handle this as well. Thanks.
tjp32  
#12 Posted : Thursday, February 25, 2021 6:01:19 AM(UTC)
tjp32

United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
+1

At the very least, vMix needs to accept pre-encoded captions embedded in SDI streams and in video files and pass them through to the output. There should also be a command to add a line of text into the caption stream, to make it possible for third parties to create integrations that supply captions from another source, like OBS does. It would be ideal to have integration with the iCap network of live captioning services, so that we don't have to route our vMix output into the EEG Falcon cloud service on its way to its final destination. This should allow for a mix of live-captioned content alongside pre-recorded and pre-captioned videos.
thanks 1 user thanked tjp32 for this useful post.
pba on 3/5/2021(UTC)
wojtaw  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, March 2, 2021 10:17:08 PM(UTC)
wojtaw

Czech Republic

Today, many events require closed captioning to make video accessible. Please include support for CEA-608 as soon as you can. This would be greatly appreciated!

Vojta
3xscreen  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, March 3, 2021 3:04:08 AM(UTC)
3xscreen

United Kingdom

We would also like to see CEA-708 support on vMix.

For our workflow, we would just like vMix to be CEA-708-aware - ie. for us to be able to feed a SDI source in to vMix which has captioning data embedded on it (we EEG iCap HD492 encoders to embed captioning data in to the SDIs that feed our encoders - https://eegent.com/produ...GC/hd492-icapTM-encoder) and for the vMix encoding engine to be able to pass that captioning data on to whichever streaming platform vMix is publishing to. ie. We would like to be able to use vMix as a captioning-aware encoder.
Howlswolf  
#15 Posted : Thursday, September 29, 2022 1:33:47 AM(UTC)
Howlswolf

Canada

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
+1
mavik  
#16 Posted : Thursday, October 20, 2022 12:09:36 AM(UTC)
mavik

Man

Was thanked: 164 time(s) in 146 post(s)
With the regulation recommending CC for live as well I highly opt for support in RTMP.
Paul Kenah  
#17 Posted : Wednesday, July 5, 2023 2:45:01 PM(UTC)
Paul Kenah

New Zealand

+1 for this. Would be great if we could pull caption data from EEG Falcon, and use VMix to embed into the SDI stream via a decklink card.
Would be great for this to support multi language not just CC1.
Would also be good if we could turn CC on in the program and preview window to monitor.
Also be good if this could appear as a data source for titles, so we could use as open captions if we wanted to.

Thanks