logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
seb666  
#21 Posted : Thursday, February 8, 2018 3:12:42 AM(UTC)
seb666

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 14 post(s)
admin wrote:

If all the checks didn't help can you provide some more information on the performance issue you are running into?

I do run into stuttering video and audio, my USB wirecless mouse has problems (pointer jumps uncontrollably) and it seems that my wallpaper on the computer get's lost and turns to blank color. The problems occur after some time. I had runs without trouble for about an hour. Directly after booting everything seems fine. It's not a heat issue, CPU cores and the inside of the machine keep quite cool. CPU and GPU usage are at 30-something percent at maximum.

I had a wheelchair basketball tournament last week, where I ran into troubles and tried to use only one preview monitor (I had one for the commentator and one with Multiview for me) or none at all, I switched projects from 1080p50 to 1080p25 and streamed different matches in different resolutions down to 720p50. Didn't help at all.

admin wrote:

How many inputs and what type are loaded, what are the symptoms when the problem occurs etc?

I use an X-Keys controller and the shortcuts point to 36 predefined blank inputs, which I fill via MultiView (mostly 10 to 15 are really used in streaming situations). I use up to five cameras and capture these via SDI (Blackmagic Decklink Duo 2) or NDI|HX (Newtek Connect Spark or my Panasonic AW UE70) or HDMI (Blackmagic Intensity). On previous systems I worked with 4K HDMI inputs without problems, the new machine was only tested with inputs in 1080p50 or 1080p60. For the basketball games I used different graphics as overlays (PNG) and inserted some MP4 video files in 1080p with interviews. The whole setup is nothing that would get my older PC setup with QuadCore CPU and 1070 graphics to its limits.

Regards
Seb
admin  
#22 Posted : Thursday, February 8, 2018 3:46:16 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4166 time(s) in 1497 post(s)
seb666 wrote:

I do run into stuttering video and audio, my USB wirecless mouse has problems (pointer jumps uncontrollably) and it seems that my wallpaper on the computer get's lost and turns to blank color.

That does sound like a hardware fault of some kind.
Try the following:

1. From Start Menu search for Windows Memory Diagnostic and run it.
2. Download CPU-Z and run the Bench CPU option under the Bench tab.
https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

If everything is ok it should show at least 1800 for Single Thread, 15000 Multi Thread.

3. Download and run FurMark. A 1920x1080 benchmark should result in > 9000 points for a 1080 Ti
http://ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/
thanks 2 users thanked admin for this useful post.
seb666 on 2/8/2018(UTC), RobLambert on 2/8/2018(UTC)
richardgatarski  
#23 Posted : Thursday, February 8, 2018 7:59:11 AM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Was thanked: 292 time(s) in 246 post(s)
The last 18 months I've been trying to build a new power system. I started with a build based on X99, but as we all know by now, that turned out to be a dead end. A year ago I instead begun building on Z170, waiting for the X299. But, I ran into a number of issues and gave up for a while. Not until August last year I had time for another try with the Z170.

In sum, I've run into a set of strange issues and tried everything Martin have suggested on the way. Including most recently to buy a 1070 instead of my 980 TI. I understand it's difficult given the abundance of different motherboards, graphics and capture cards and associated drivers/versions.

One main problem has been stuttering when Fullscreen is enabled. The stuttering is visible in vMix and external monitors, but typically not in the recording/stream. Sometimes it appears immediately, at other times after a while. Really low render time and CPU usage, as well as no dropped frames reported.

One thing I suspect is that my problems are related to my choice of Asus as a brand. Simply because few other vMix users reports similar issues as those that I face.

About a week ago I landed with a few tweaks that seems to result in a pretty stable Asus Z170 system. Too early to tell, and I have not had the time to isolate which fixes are essential. But so far things seems to be smooth.

These are the important settings I have made, the last is Asus specific:

- Making sure all external monitor (main+2) resolutions and refresh rates (1920x1080 50 Hz) matches my production setting (1920x1080, 50p)

- Making sure ONLY Nvidia's Graphics driver and PhysX system are installed

- Disabled Windows' Game DVR

. Bios tweaks
Safe Defaults (no overclocking)
Advanced\CPU - Configuration\CPU - Power Management Control
Intel Speedstep disabled
CPU C-states disabled
CFG Lock disabled
Intel Speedshift disabled

- Nvidia Power Management mode: Prefer Maximum Performance

- Settings/Performance FlipEx Fullscreen Enabled and Previews NOT Enabled

- Ctrl-Alt-Del, Task Manager, Start-up tab: SS2UILauncer.exe Disabled

A few notes. I have not tested if FlipEx can be enabled for Previews when all of above is set, but last time I tried it resulted in stuttering. The last one (disabling Sonic Studio) is definitely a must, seemed to fix a lot of issues.

Hopes this helps someone else.
thanks 2 users thanked richardgatarski for this useful post.
seb666 on 2/8/2018(UTC), Reinaldo on 5/16/2019(UTC)
seb666  
#24 Posted : Thursday, February 8, 2018 4:58:18 PM(UTC)
seb666

Man

Hi Martin,

here are the results...

admin wrote:
1. From Start Menu search for Windows Memory Diagnostic and run it.

Memory Diagnostics ran without finding errors.

admin wrote:
2. Download CPU-Z and run the Bench CPU option under the Bench tab.

CPU-Z did not run as fast as you proposed, but it matched quite ok with a reference 10 core system.

UserPostedImage

admin wrote:
3. Download and run FurMark.

Furmark got over 9800 with my GTX1080ti.

After trying to deinstall some Asus software, which didn't work correctly and left some Zombie Services in my Windows installation, I will reinstall the whole machine end of the week and try it again with a wheelchair basketball live stream (there are four cams in use, much stressing video and I use Instant Replay). I will give you feedback on Sunday or Monday if reinstallation helped.

Regards
Seb
thanks 1 user thanked seb666 for this useful post.
RobLambert on 2/8/2018(UTC)
seb666  
#25 Posted : Thursday, February 8, 2018 5:30:08 PM(UTC)
seb666

Man

richardgatarski wrote:
...usefull tips....

Thanks Richard, I took some advices from you and hope it will help. Unfortunately I am running streams in PAL framerates (25p 50p) and my monitor is only capable of 60p. And my addititional monitor is 4K...

I can't change that, because my machine is "All in one" in this case:
http://www.ariesys.com.tw/workstation/ARP690.htm

Regards
Seb
richardgatarski  
#26 Posted : Thursday, February 8, 2018 6:05:15 PM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Seb,
I've told Martin that the stuttering issue still applies on my laptop based flight cases that use internal screens only capable of 60p.

Our workaround in those cases when we need 50p out is to set in Windows the external monitors to 1920x1080 60p, and when necessary use scalers to obtain 50p (and sometimes 720) in the end. Not ideal, but better than stuttering.
admin  
#27 Posted : Thursday, February 8, 2018 9:36:30 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4166 time(s) in 1497 post(s)
Does the problem occur with only one monitor plugged in set to 60hz?
Mixing and matching monitors may cause problems, especially since some older 4K monitors will connect at 25hz or 30hz causing a conflict with the main monitor.
seb666  
#28 Posted : Friday, February 9, 2018 4:15:05 AM(UTC)
seb666

Man

admin wrote:
Does the problem occur with only one monitor plugged in set to 60hz?
Mixing and matching monitors may cause problems, especially since some older 4K monitors will connect at 25hz or 30hz causing a conflict with the main monitor.

Hi Martin,

I tried and tested different varieties with connected monitors and streams in different framerates, even 1080p60 with all monitors on 60 Hz and I experienced stuttering framerates. But as I said, I'd like to reinstall the system and test again on Saturday.

My setup would be the following:
4 cameras with 1080p50 (two via SDI, two via NDI|HX)
vMix preset would be 1080p25
I would stream with 4.5 MBit/s in 1080p
I would record to MP4 with 12 MBit/s in 1080p
Instant replay will be activated for at least three cameras

The main monitor of the system will be 1080p60. There is no other way. ;)

So what would be the recommendations for additional monitors?
One of the screens is HD, one is 4K (and I'd like to keep it 4K as it's 32" and I want to use it for multiview).
Shall all screens be configured to 60 Hz? Are the different resolutions problematic?

Thanks for your advice.

Regards
Seb
Ph0en1x  
#29 Posted : Friday, February 9, 2018 9:58:23 AM(UTC)
Ph0en1x

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I had issues too with a system that was way underperforming and i tried EVERYTHING. New drivers, 1070 instead of 960, different master framerates, fresh presets... the works. Nothing seemed to help and the worst of all was that i couldn't really reproduce the issues on command.

I FINALLY figured out what went wrong by installing Prime95 and HWMonitor. I ran Prime and kept an eye on the values in HWMonitor. Turns out our stock cooler wasn't up to the task of keeping the CPU from overheating. So our CPU would eventually heat up to almost 100 degrees, after which thermal throttling kicked in, decapitating our system. It went from 4ghz on each core to 1ghz and boom, up went the render times.

The annoying thing was that this would sometimes happen sooner that later, which made it very hard to discover, but it was most apparent during the actuel events, when it would be way hotter in the venue and the system would have been operating longer than during testing and troubleshooting. I would stresstest your system to the max and check performance thoroughly.
thanks 1 user thanked Ph0en1x for this useful post.
seb666 on 2/9/2018(UTC)
seb666  
#30 Posted : Friday, February 9, 2018 12:18:05 PM(UTC)
seb666

Man

Ph0en1x wrote:
I FINALLY figured out what went wrong by installing Prime95 and HWMonitor. I ran Prime and kept an eye on the values in HWMonitor. Turns out our stock cooler wasn't up to the task of keeping the CPU from overheating. So our CPU would eventually heat up to almost 100 degrees, after which thermal throttling kicked in, decapitating our system. It went from 4ghz on each core to 1ghz and boom, up went the render times.

The annoying thing was that this would sometimes happen sooner that later, which made it very hard to discover, but it was most apparent during the actuel events, when it would be way hotter in the venue and the system would have been operating longer than during testing and troubleshooting. I would stresstest your system to the max and check performance thoroughly.

Thanks for the tool tips. I was checking CPU temperature in my tests but not at the tournament itself. Of course that would be a bummer. I will have an eye on temperature on Saturday.

Regards
Seb

seb666  
#31 Posted : Friday, February 9, 2018 4:08:37 PM(UTC)
seb666

Man

Ph0en1x wrote:

After your suggestion I was stressing the CPU with CPU-Z and measure core temperature. Nearly every 15 minutes performance was absolutely going down. So that's not good news, but I think, that's the problem. My vMix streams started well and performance went down after an undefined while...

Thanks for pointing that out. I thought, I tested quite well in advance. Seems to be not the case...

Regards
Seb
seb666  
#32 Posted : Sunday, February 11, 2018 5:00:48 PM(UTC)
seb666

Man

Ok, this evenings stream was a disaster. I experienced stuttering video and sound at my vMix machine and it seemed worse than ever. Anytime there was action on screen, it began to get glitchy and to stutter. Not all the time, but In time-outs of the match it recovered. However the locally recorded video seems to be much better (some glimpses of framedrops, but absolutely ok)

The setup:
* x299 PC with Asus Prime Deluxe, 64 GB RAM, 2 x M.2 Samsung EVO960 1 TB, Gigabyte GTX1080ti card
* Blackmagic Deckling Duo 2
* ESI Mayo 44EX audio capture card (sound input in vMix via ASIO)
* 2 Newtek Spark Connect
* 3 Sony cameras delivering 1080p50 signal (2 x via NDI|HX, 1 x via SDI)
* 1 Panasonic AW UE70 delivering 1080p50 signal via SDI
* internal monitor of the system is 1080p60
* one external monitor for the commentator set to 1080p60 to match the frequency of the first one
* vMix is set to 1080p25 (50 fps really makes no sense and needs more bandwidth)
* I activated Instant Replay with all four cameras with 1080p50 75 MBit/s (deactivated it after first trouble)
* Recording was MP4 1080p25 12 MBit/s, High
* Streaming was 4,5 MBit/s in 1080p25

I tried all suggested tips in this thread. The only thing I can't do, is having the monitor and the stream in the same frequency. But this is my third vMix machine and my Gaming notebook handled the stream with four cameras far better than this new system (and the notebook is also with a 60 Hz screen and streams / records in 1080p25). CPU load never went over 40% while streaming. CPU core temp was under 40° the whole time. So, it's not the heat...

At the moment I'm doing the reinstall, which I thought woudn't be necessary.
Any ideas how I can perform some usefull testing and find out, what's wrong? In "standard situations" like a speaker in front of an audience I do not notice any troubles...

Regards
Seb
seb666  
#33 Posted : Monday, February 12, 2018 7:12:03 AM(UTC)
seb666

Man

Ok, I do not remember if I had this problem with every problematic stream, but "vmixndihelper.exe" chrashed regularly on my new system. Sometimes sooner or later while streaming. Can that be a problem that occurs because the system has two NICs? Can the crash of vmixndihelper.exe be a cause for my troubles?

I found this thread regarding NDi Helper and wonder how I can replicate the behaviour and how to avoid it from crashing:
https://forums.vmix.com/...aspx?g=posts&t=11726

Sorry that I didn't come up with that earlier in the discussion...

Regards
Seb

Barney Box Lane  
#34 Posted : Monday, February 12, 2018 10:37:26 AM(UTC)
Barney Box Lane

Was thanked: 33 time(s) in 29 post(s)
richardgatarski wrote:
Maybe a long shot, but for Asus motherboards I have found that disabling the Sonic Studio improves many things, see https://forums.vmix.com/...aspx?g=posts&t=14119

yes we had a load of stuff that was to do with that and ended up disabling although it was at the beginning of the year and can't remember what it was, but we we've disabled it too.
Barney Box Lane  
#35 Posted : Monday, February 12, 2018 11:02:19 AM(UTC)
Barney Box Lane

Was thanked: 33 time(s) in 29 post(s)
seb666 wrote:
Ok, this evenings stream was a disaster. I experienced stuttering video and sound at my vMix machine and it seemed worse than ever. Anytime there was action on screen, it began to get glitchy and to stutter. Not all the time, but In time-outs of the match it recovered. However the locally recorded video seems to be much better (some glimpses of framedrops, but absolutely ok)

The setup:
* x299 PC with Asus Prime Deluxe, 64 GB RAM, 2 x M.2 Samsung EVO960 1 TB, Gigabyte GTX1080ti card
* Blackmagic Deckling Duo 2
* ESI Mayo 44EX audio capture card (sound input in vMix via ASIO)
* 2 Newtek Spark Connect
* 3 Sony cameras delivering 1080p50 signal (2 x via NDI|HX, 1 x via SDI)
* 1 Panasonic AW UE70 delivering 1080p50 signal via SDI
* internal monitor of the system is 1080p60
* one external monitor for the commentator set to 1080p60 to match the frequency of the first one
* vMix is set to 1080p25 (50 fps really makes no sense and needs more bandwidth)
* I activated Instant Replay with all four cameras with 1080p50 75 MBit/s (deactivated it after first trouble)
* Recording was MP4 1080p25 12 MBit/s, High
* Streaming was 4,5 MBit/s in 1080p25

I tried all suggested tips in this thread. The only thing I can't do, is having the monitor and the stream in the same frequency. But this is my third vMix machine and my Gaming notebook handled the stream with four cameras far better than this new system (and the notebook is also with a 60 Hz screen and streams / records in 1080p25). CPU load never went over 40% while streaming. CPU core temp was under 40° the whole time. So, it's not the heat...

At the moment I'm doing the reinstall, which I thought woudn't be necessary.
Any ideas how I can perform some usefull testing and find out, what's wrong? In "standard situations" like a speaker in front of an audience I do not notice any troubles...

Regards0
Seb

how are you bringing your cameras in? ip?? are the cameras coming in fine without glitching in the thumbnail? is the camera input glitching, large blocky grey - that's usually to do with the graphics card, although ip would be packet loss causing the same result (and therefore graphics card/ram working overtime).
or is it on the output only? (which would mean I'd imagine you have the cameras hdmi/sdi in and unaffected by any ip issue) the fact that this slowly gets worse sounds like your ram filling up if this problem occurs the same while offline. If this problem seems to kick in when you're online/live/streaming then again it's the ram/memory buffer filling up but it's probably because of packet loss on your network (bandwith doesn't matter if there's packet loss)

**I just re-read and saw your camera set up isnt ip but I thought I'd leave the ip camera bit in so it might help understand it**
seb666  
#36 Posted : Monday, February 12, 2018 11:51:51 AM(UTC)
seb666

Man

Barney Box Lane wrote:
how are you bringing your cameras in? ip?? are the cameras coming in fine without glitching in the thumbnail? is the camera input glitching, large blocky grey - that's usually to do with the graphics card, although ip would be packet loss causing the same result (and therefore graphics card/ram working overtime).
or is it on the output only? (which would mean I'd imagine you have the cameras hdmi/sdi in and unaffected by any ip issue) the fact that this slowly gets worse sounds like your ram filling up if this problem occurs the same while offline. If this problem seems to kick in when you're online/live/streaming then again it's the ram/memory buffer filling up but it's probably because of packet loss on your network (bandwith doesn't matter if there's packet loss)

**I just re-read and saw your camera set up isnt ip but I thought I'd leave the ip camera bit in so it might help understand it**

Everytime when I start the computer and vMix all inputs work fine. It takes a while until it becomes glitchy. And it's definitely no bandwidth problem with the NDI cameras. I use the same network setup, which worked before with my older vMix machine... I will investigate if the vmixndihelper error will come up again. I reinstalled the whole system without any Asus specific crap-ware, maybe that'll help.

Regards
Seb
richardgatarski  
#37 Posted : Monday, February 12, 2018 2:16:22 PM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Seb, if you installed Realtek's audio driver it is very likely Sonic Studio was installed too. Check/disable at Start-Up.

On your laptops, that worked fine, any extra display devices used for Fullscreens attached?
seb666  
#38 Posted : Monday, February 12, 2018 5:14:20 PM(UTC)
seb666

Man

richardgatarski wrote:
Seb, if you installed Realtek's audio driver it is very likely Sonic Studio was installed too. Check/disable at Start-Up.

On your laptops, that worked fine, any extra display devices used for Fullscreens attached?

I had a look for Sonic Studio and it doesn't look to be installed. And on my other machines I used external displays as well without problems. Tomorrow morning I will test the whole equipment again.

Regards
Seb

seb666  
#39 Posted : Tuesday, February 13, 2018 12:49:33 PM(UTC)
seb666

Man

Hi,

thanks all for trying to help. Reinstallation seemed to do the trick. I tried the same setup in my office, which I used at the catastrophic event (2 x SDI, 2 x NDI inputs) with the same vMix preset. Cameras are filming psychedelic animations and switching in a Playlist. Spotify delivers "The Prodigy" through the ESI audio interface for some solid audio check. ;)

After some tests in the morning I tried to test how far I can go: the setup went from 1080p25 to 1080p50, recording is MKV with MJPEG, streaming is set to 6 MBit/s with slow preset and high profile (with hardware encoder), Instant Replay for all inputs is running... Everything seems to work fine even with the additional 4K Multiview screen and the 1080p Fullscreen Output. CPU is still under 50%, GPU usage in Task Manager under 30%.

That was what I was expecting from that kind of machine. Of course now I do not know what caused the troubles I had, but if everything will work from here on, I don't care.

I've got some pictures from the setup. I liked that somehow... :D

The cams filming the notebook screen:

UserPostedImage

My streaming beast All-in-One:

UserPostedImage

The external screens:

UserPostedImage