logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
hablcc  
#1 Posted : Monday, September 11, 2017 3:18:45 AM(UTC)
hablcc

Groups: Registered

Hi there,

I recently built a top-notch x299 system with the following specs:
i9 7900x (10-core, 20 thread)
ASUS Prime Deluxe x299 Mainboard
GTX 1080 ti
64 GB DDR4 RAM
2TB Samsung 960 Pro M.2 SSD

I experience heavy stuttering in my Fullscreen-Output when i open any Settings in vMix or dare to open a Web-Browser or even just Windows explorer. Also the vMix surface regularly takes a considerable amount of time to build itself up. It all looks very much like the machine is lacking ressources.
I currently have 4 HDMI Inputs and one SDI Input via Magewell capture cards, a couple of Multi-views and ten video-files as my Inputs. Maximum video-size is 1080p, production-size is 1024x768/50p (LED-Wall)

Any idea how to make these performance issues go away? Buying better Hardware is no option since there hardly is better hardware short of server-grade equipment ;-)

Any suggestions are welcome.

-simon
admin  
#2 Posted : Monday, September 11, 2017 7:27:38 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4160 time(s) in 1494 post(s)
Hi Simon,

To diagnose the issue, start from a blank preset in vMix and add inputs one by one until you identify what causes
the problem to occur.

At first glance it seems like the graphics card is running extremely slowly for some reason, check to see what results you get
with something like FurMark:

http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/

Also try connecting a standard display as the second monitor as a test to make sure something weird isn't happening with the LED wall.

Regards,

Martin
vMix
hablcc  
#3 Posted : Monday, September 11, 2017 8:07:12 AM(UTC)
hablcc

For now, turning down the master framerate to 25fps did the trick. I'll do all the suggeenstions once my event is finished. GPU did fine the last time i ran cinebench but I'll be shure to check your suggested benchmark as well. For some reason my 1080ti shows up three times in the "performance" Tab. Any idea why? Can this be part of the problem?

thanks!

PS: awesome response-time!
admin  
#4 Posted : Monday, September 11, 2017 9:04:44 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

Hi Simon,

If setting vMix to 25p has resolved the problem for now, I suspect it is because one of the displays connected to the computer
is only running at 25hz.

You can check in the NVIDIA control panel to see which one is, and try increasing this to at least 50hz if that is what you would like
to run vMix at.

Also for best performance all monitors attached to the computer should have matching refresh rates where possible.

Regards,

Martin
vMix
admin  
#5 Posted : Monday, September 11, 2017 9:04:44 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

Hi Simon,

If setting vMix to 25p has resolved the problem for now, I suspect it is because one of the displays connected to the computer
is only running at 25hz.

You can check in the NVIDIA control panel to see which one is, and try increasing this to at least 50hz if that is what you would like
to run vMix at.

Also for best performance all monitors attached to the computer should have matching refresh rates where possible.

Regards,

Martin
vMix
hablcc  
#6 Posted : Monday, September 11, 2017 5:30:29 PM(UTC)
hablcc

Hi Martin,

thank you for the suggestions.

I ran the benchmark and got a stable 162 FPS / 9754 Points without passing 40°C

Here's what I experienced when testing my machine:

Matching refresh-rates definately helps but the reduction in framerate in vMix is the factor that really makes the difference and it looks like when i get the CPU-usage up my output starts to stutter. It usually starts to make problems at 50% CPU usage.

However I'm rather surprised to stress my i9 to the point of stuttering in the output with a couple of videos. Anyone have an idea to optimize?
btw there is nothing running parallel to vMix besides the occasional monitoring-tool.
RobLambert  
#7 Posted : Monday, September 11, 2017 6:09:41 PM(UTC)
RobLambert

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Thank you Simon for being a trail blaiser. Thank you Martin for helping Simon.

Makes no sense that your i9-7900x with the best of the best hardware and software would have any issues at all ....at least to me.

Thank you all for working on figuring out the hangup(s) for the rest of us.

Rob
kjones9999  
#8 Posted : Monday, September 11, 2017 10:40:51 PM(UTC)
kjones9999

Was thanked: 78 time(s) in 50 post(s)
Nvidia has struggled with multiple displays with various setups, usually dealing with geforce experience. Is it installed?

Also remove transparency effects as well.

It may also help to disable the integrated graphics in the BIOS. You never know.... but maybe that doesnt have internal graphics...
admin  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, September 12, 2017 2:58:12 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

One thing worth noting is that due to hyperthreading 50% CPU usage can actually mean 100% depending on what is being processed.
However, our studio system is running almost identical specs to what is mentioned here and it is very difficult to use up
CPU usage unless playing multiple 4K videos at the same time, so there might be something else going on.

Using Task Manager you should be able to see which process is using all the CPU, if it is vMix
then adding inputs one by one until the high CPU input is located will help isolate the cause.

Regards,

Martin
vMix
hablcc  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, September 12, 2017 3:55:30 AM(UTC)
hablcc

kjones9999 wrote:
Nvidia has struggled with multiple displays with various setups, usually dealing with geforce experience. Is it installed?

Also remove transparency effects as well.

It may also help to disable the integrated graphics in the BIOS. You never know.... but maybe that doesnt have internal graphics...

Do you recommend removing geforce experience?
What trancparency effects do you mean?
The Prime Deluxe x299 Board doesn't have integrated graphics.
kjones9999  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, September 12, 2017 9:54:11 AM(UTC)
kjones9999

https://www.howtogeek.co...y-effects-in-windows-10/

Also -- what happens if you swap monitor roles?

I would remove geforce experience and leave drivers in place obviously. You may want to check if shadow play is on first and see if that makes a difference.

This is definitely not normal I agree with Martin.

I had an odd experience that is similar to this Friday night.

My system is similar setup with an i7 and an older ATI card that stays around 4ms render and 20% CPU. I wanted to bring in a webcam so I set it to MJPEG and it complains so I started to tinker with the video format settings and when I went to another (cant remember which) my render times went to 40ms and 90% cpu. It didnt stop until I deleted the input.... So a stray setting on an input can create havoc....

What are your render times during the stutter?
hablcc  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, September 12, 2017 7:54:08 PM(UTC)
hablcc

Hey,

first off, if I stress the system with multiple 4K, high bitrate videos I get it to stutter. That's fine and logical. Plus who needs to play several 4K videos in overlays...

The problem that I had was stuttering with seemingly small workload on CPU and GPU. I even had the issue with just ine 1080p .mp4 file as my only input. Changing my framerate or refreshrates of my monitors didn't really get rid of the stuttering. So I did all the other reccomended optimizations and the removal of "GEFORCE experience" actually really helped. I must say I'm really curious what this little piece of software did to my production.

I'd be really curious if anyone else had a similar performance-issue with GEFORCE Experience.

thanks a lot to kjones9999 for the idea!

However, render-time pretty much always jumps up when I open the settings oder do anything else like open a browser. Also the real-time FPS jump to triple digits at the same time while CPU (vMix) jumps from 2% to 27% for a moment. this happens with 1080p as well as 4K videos with visible stuttering in the output.

any idea?

-simon
kjones9999  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, September 12, 2017 8:12:18 PM(UTC)
kjones9999

Sounds as though you are making progress.

The geforce experience is a mixed bag of stuff, driver updates, game optimization etc. Problem is its a mixed bag which works great for some and not for others. The stuttering on the monitors is something I have ran across before.

I have had the jump in FPS that you are describing during intensive cpu procedures and I attributed it to the way that vmix is calculating it. When I look back at streams or recordings its rock solid. The best indicator is the render time. But the stuttering shouldnt happen anytime...

Can you give us a continuum of render times? What is your max and what is the usual? What is the render time when you are stuttering?

Also I am still curious if you switch monitor roles if that changes anything.

Also, download gpu shark and take some real time readings during the stutter.
roverradio  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, September 13, 2017 3:32:39 PM(UTC)
roverradio

United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I just finished building a very similar system:

* i9-7900X
* Asus X299-Deluxe
* 128GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 DRAM
* MSI GTX 1080 8GB (Gaming 8G model)
* 1TB Samsung 850 Pro system Drive
* Windows 10 Pro

I haven't put vMix on it. Wasn't planning on it, actually, but I will give it a shot and report back. It's currently bare.
RobLambert  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, October 4, 2017 4:30:07 PM(UTC)
RobLambert

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Simon.....

Did you get it up and running like a swiss watch!

Is the problem solved?

Thanks

Rob
seb666  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, February 7, 2018 4:36:38 AM(UTC)
seb666

Man

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 14 post(s)
Hello guys,

I've also built an X299 system with 10 cores i9 and 1080ti graphics. I experienced the same performance trouble only in 1080p25 streaming and the machine runs worse than my previous quad core system with a 1070 graphics. I tried the tips in this thread, but nothing helped. Did you resolve your troubles and how? At the moment my new machine is a total disappointment... :/

Regards
Sebastian
richardgatarski  
#17 Posted : Wednesday, February 7, 2018 4:49:12 AM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Was thanked: 292 time(s) in 246 post(s)
Maybe a long shot, but for Asus motherboards I have found that disabling the Sonic Studio improves many things, see https://forums.vmix.com/...aspx?g=posts&t=14119
admin  
#18 Posted : Wednesday, February 7, 2018 5:10:08 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

See below for common diagnostic steps:

https://www.vmix.com/kno...nosing-high-render-times

In particular we have seen an increase in reports of problems due to GeForce Experience as noted in #2.
As a result we are working on a way for vMix to shut this down automatically in future releases.

Regards,

Martin
vMix
thanks 2 users thanked admin for this useful post.
seb666 on 2/7/2018(UTC), Cpilcher on 2/7/2018(UTC)
seb666  
#19 Posted : Wednesday, February 7, 2018 3:54:13 PM(UTC)
seb666

Man

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 14 post(s)
Hi Martin and others,

I went over the common diagnostic steps...

1. Slow graphics card

1080ti, that should work, but my other vMix systems with a 1070 perform better...

2. GeForce Experience "Share" feature is turned on

GeForce Experience isn't installed.

3. Too many inputs

How much is too much? Do blank shots as placeholders for my short keys count?
"High Input Performance Mode" is turned on.

4. Graphics card installed in incorrect slot on motherboard

Card is installed where it should be and GPU-Z confirmed it.

5. Two or more graphics cards installed

Nope.

6. Driver issue

I installed LatencyMon and can't see anything unusual. The Nvidia drivers were freshly installed from a download directly from Nvidia.
Regarding "Asus Bloatware": I have had Asus AI Suite 3 installed and their "Intelligent Processors 5" installed. I accidentially overclocked the system via the "5 Way Optimization" and reverted the overclocking features later.
"Intel Turbo Boost Max" is disabled. I tried to uninstall it, which didn't work.

What are the next steps? Is there any way to sort out hardware problems? Would a complete reinstallation of Windows help?

Here's an overview of the machine:
ASUS X299 Prime Deluxe board
10core i9 CPU
64 GB RAM 2400 MHz
Gigabyte 1080ti card
2 x 1 TB Samsung Evo 960 M.2
Blackmagic Decklink Duo 2
Blackmagic Intensity Pro 4K
ESI Maya 44ex Audio Interface

Thanks for helping. I expect much of this machine and would like to use it to its full potential. :)

Regards
Seb
admin  
#20 Posted : Wednesday, February 7, 2018 10:48:59 PM(UTC)
admin

Man

Hi Seb,

If all the checks didn't help can you provide some more information on the performance issue you are running into?
How many inputs and what type are loaded, what are the symptoms when the problem occurs etc?

Regards,

Martin
vMix