logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mmorlan62  
#1 Posted : Saturday, April 22, 2017 11:22:41 AM(UTC)
mmorlan62

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Hi all,

I've noted, when animating PIP layers with the MERGE transition, that some odd scaling artifacts occur. I suspect this is because the frame scaling is being handled in a 2D math space. For instance;

I have a PIP frame scaled down, positioned left of the full frame, and angled about the Z-axis in one input, and that frame rotated to another angle around the z-axis and on the right side of the full frame in a second input.

When I MERGE between the two inputs, the PIP frame collapses down in the x-axis as it travels across the full frame, then expands again as it arrives at its now position. It would be good for the frame to retain its scale as it moves around, like one would expect in a 3D Cartesian space.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Thanks,

Michael
IceStream  
#2 Posted : Saturday, April 22, 2017 1:14:16 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
+ 1
with a caveat

@ mmorlan62

Perhaps it's time to look into this more in depth as the topic seems to be resurfacing a little more of late:

https://forums.vmix.com/....aspx?g=posts&t=9825
https://forums.vmix.com/....aspx?g=posts&t=9817

I would however, refer back to this post which explains the 3D in the 2D space of vMix a little more and what the implications might be in taking it to the next level:

https://forums.vmix.com/....aspx?g=posts&t=5238

Just my thoughts.

Ice
mmorlan62  
#3 Posted : Saturday, April 22, 2017 2:48:17 PM(UTC)
mmorlan62

United States

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Some good threads there. It would be useful to re-invent the translation/rotation system as well. Also, allow for more refined results on the sliders.

I guess getting vMix's coordinate and rendering system matching other popular production tools like AfterEffects would be amazing. Imagine creating a flashy alpha-channel animation with PIP frames flying around and being able to import the PIP motion into vMix so the live frames fly around in perfect unison behind the alpha-keyed animation.

:-)

IceStream  
#4 Posted : Saturday, April 22, 2017 3:25:02 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ mmorlan62

Keep in mind that even AfterEffects doesn't usually render in real time, it requires some pretty powerful computing resources behind such 3D space manipulation and why such VR technology is so expensive.

Ice