logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
GuiMac  
#1 Posted : Monday, January 31, 2022 3:01:47 AM(UTC)
GuiMac

Groups: Registered
Brazil

So, it was requested to create a topic to discuss the new features because people complained that the current update looks like more a 24.0.XX than a full release.

I have to agree. There is loads of stuff that need rework. There is a bunch of activators funcion missing, lot's of functions missing and better UI for a lot of stuff that should be priority.

A few examples:

- Mix 1 as a input, to use it in multiview without having to ingest the NDI with delay.
- A few more triggers, like "Seconds before end of a video"
- API access for a lot of the input options like "change key/fill input", moving/croping/zoom of multiview overlays
- More activators and API access for some stuff that you cant see information, examples: Is chroma key active? Is the auto next active on a list? Is the loop active? Audio input gain.
- Better ui and way to copy around multiview between inputs. You have to do it by hand to copy it for only one of the multiviews.

I understand that this year version appears to be focused on quality of life and I really think that the current list of updates looks like a minor update and not a major one and I do believe more should be done.
Specially on the API and activator side, due to how much companion and other softwares are being used so much by everyone.
doggy  
#2 Posted : Monday, January 31, 2022 4:45:22 AM(UTC)
doggy

Belgium

Was thanked: 916 time(s) in 755 post(s)
Originally Posted by: GuiMac Go to Quoted Post
So, it was requested to create a topic to discuss the new features because people complained that the current update looks like more a 24.0.XX than a full release.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

thanks 1 user thanked doggy for this useful post.
sinc747 on 2/1/2022(UTC)
GuiMac  
#3 Posted : Monday, January 31, 2022 5:49:19 AM(UTC)
GuiMac

Brazil

Originally Posted by: doggy Go to Quoted Post

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thanks for the amazing contribution to the topic!
melody  
#4 Posted : Monday, January 31, 2022 8:32:24 PM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

ahahahah
nikosman88  
#5 Posted : Monday, January 31, 2022 8:56:22 PM(UTC)
nikosman88

Greece

Was thanked: 52 time(s) in 49 post(s)
These days im trying some other programms competitive to vmix. Motioncaster,marsis videomixo,even obs and obs streamlabs. At the end im coming back to vmix. Vmix the way it is, it does professional things with an easy way. I think the best sw mixer out there in this price range. The other sw you must study to work with them in a simple human way. Vmix is very easy to learn and too popular so you can find almost everything how to do from simple daily users
MTB  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, February 1, 2022 3:35:18 AM(UTC)
MTB

Nepal

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
So it's not so much a discussion on new possible features as unfounded criticism "not enough new stuff".
Unbeknownst what has changed under the hood, this really sounds more as a crude demand more to be added to validate the v25 in your eyes?

Common software development makes this very unlikely after the beta is out....
thanks 1 user thanked MTB for this useful post.
doggy on 2/1/2022(UTC)
melody  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, February 1, 2022 3:45:39 AM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

my view,

"what i want to do is not so dificult to me but require some time to get it work, i don't want to waste my time like others, it's better for me to ask for new features, i will left the dirty job to admin"
WaltG12  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, February 1, 2022 8:24:02 AM(UTC)
WaltG12

United States

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 24 post(s)
There is a bunch of activators funcion missing, lot's of functions missing and better UI for a lot of stuff that should be priority.

Here's a link to the Feature Requests forum--post to your heart's content.

I understand that this year version appears to be focused on quality of life and I really think that the current list of updates looks like a minor update and not a major one and I do believe more should be done.

I don't understand this complaint, frankly.

I didn't understand it in the other thread & I don't get it now.

The difference between a minor revision and a major one is whatever the developer says it is. It's entirely arbitrary. They can change the color of the logo from blue to purple & call it a new version if they want.

If you want to install it, then install it. If you don't, then don't.

If you have ideas to make the program better, there's a Feature Requests forum.

If you want to pretend there's no major update this year & this is version 24.XX.XX, because that better fits your world view, go ahead. It doesn't really matter what they, or you, call it or think of it as. All that matters is if you want to install it or not.

They can call it version 10.50002.5 or 29.0.0 for all I care. I genuinely don't understand why you, and others, are so hung up on labels.

If you're not in a free upgrade cycle & you don't think this is worth the $60, then don't pay the $60. It really is that simple. I bought my licenses fully expecting to sit out some updates (maybe even most) when the time comes.

Know what I'm not going to do when that time comes and I decide I'm better off not buying an update? Make forum posts about it.
guidogast  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, February 1, 2022 9:27:46 AM(UTC)
guidogast

Man
Netherlands

Was thanked: 33 time(s) in 21 post(s)
I don't understand this complaint, frankly.

I didn't understand it in the other thread & I don't get it now.

The difference between a minor revision and a major one is whatever the developer says it is. It's entirely arbitrary. They can change the color of the logo from blue to purple & call it a new version if they want.

As a software developer I see what you mean. Version numbers are usually defined though. Is that somewhere defined on this forum? Personally I'm a fan of Semantic Versioning, but vMix doesn't use that and they have every right to use whatever they seem fit.
sinc747  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, February 1, 2022 2:11:59 PM(UTC)
sinc747

Man
United States

Was thanked: 194 time(s) in 160 post(s)
In the good old days, pre covid, vMix might release two new versions each year. And one of the versions might have a major new feature like NDI or vMix Call, other new versions might contain a smorgasbord of less flashy features. Sometimes there was a new release that had a "Must-have" feature that many folks could use (ie. vMix Call). Other times is was a collection of several "minor" features: one for you, one for me, one for Tim, etc.

I suspect that v25 could be classed as a smorgasbord release, a little something for everyone. And maybe that means that v26 will be the version to have another ground-breaking feature. We can hope.

I've also noticed that at the end of the list of features in every release was my favorite: Various minor bug fixes and improvements.

Aha! I always made sure I got the new one because I could count on Martin making some tweaks to the code that made vMix run more efficiently, or become more stable. These changes are the gold lining of every new release. These changes are the ones that keep vMix ahead of the pack in terms of reliability, speed and ease of use. Don't miss out on any improvements even if you don't see them!

- Tom
thanks 3 users thanked sinc747 for this useful post.
doggy on 2/1/2022(UTC), dmwkr on 2/1/2022(UTC), mgrayeb on 2/4/2022(UTC)
WaltG12  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, February 1, 2022 6:28:02 PM(UTC)
WaltG12

United States

Originally Posted by: guidogast Go to Quoted Post
Is that somewhere defined on this forum?

Whatever their standard is, this meets it, which is essentially the point I was making.

There's no universal standard. Each developer decides for themselves what constitutes a new release.

At its core, though, this releases introduces the new LiveLAN feature, which is an addition to both the Web Controller server & the Live Stream feature, as well as an overhaul of the category tabs & a brand new way to save presets that includes the necessary files, no longer requiring you to hunt around for them, then load them individually.

So that's 3 major changes (4 if you count both LiveLAN features separately). They're not features that will necessarily appeal to everyone, but they are multiple massive changes to the capabilities & functionalities of the program.

While I 100% believe that new version numbering is wholly arbitrary and done by whatever standard the dev sets, I also believe that by almost every dev's standards, this many updates of this caliber at once warrants the "25" moniker.
thanks 1 user thanked WaltG12 for this useful post.
doggy on 2/1/2022(UTC)
lbgaus  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, February 1, 2022 8:23:09 PM(UTC)
lbgaus

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 14 post(s)
I think it's important to remember there are a ton of people using vMix these days, and I think everybody gets some different uses out of it. It is a legitimate complaint to air if someone feels like they see a lot of smaller feature requests that have been in the forums go unaddressed for so long. While I too was disappointed not to see some of the smaller improvements mentioned in the first post in v25, I think it's important we air our frustrations constructively and keep focused on a strategy to guide the conversation in a direction that sees a resolution.

So, with this thought in mind, given that V25 is feature-complete at this time, I am going to kindly request some of the stuff like the additional shortcuts & API info/commands mentioned earlier be added in a minor release after 25 is shipped.

Thanks all.
WaltG12  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, February 1, 2022 10:15:12 PM(UTC)
WaltG12

United States

Originally Posted by: lbgaus Go to Quoted Post
It is a legitimate complaint to air if someone feels like they see a lot of smaller feature requests that have been in the forums go unaddressed for so long.

I don't think it's possible for me to disagree with this statement more.

No software developer needs to even accept feature requests. The fact that vMix not only accepts them but pays attention to them puts them ahead of the crowd.

Not to mention that the average person has no idea what implementing their "smaller feature request" will actually entail or how many elements of the program are contingent upon other elements of the program.

That small tweak probably isn't that small at all.

There are also a lot of feature requests that are outside the scope (or even contrary to) what vMix exists to do. I'm pretty sure others I've seen aren't even possible to implement.

Unless they remove a feature you're dependent upon, your options are to buy & use it if it suits your needs or make a feature request, then find another program if it's not implemented.

If you've already bought it, then, unless they take a feature, then it still functions just as good as the day you bought it. If you bought it expecting that they'll implement your feature request, well... That wasn't very smart.

Either way, there's no world in which whining that they won't implement whatever features you want them to implement is a valid option at all.

I think it's important we air our frustrations constructively

Why exactly do you feel it's important to air your frustrations at all?

If there's a Feature Request in the Feature Request forum, they read it. They know people want it. They know they didn't implement it yet.

Complaining about it isn't telling them anything they don't already know.

keep focused on a strategy to guide the conversation in a direction that sees a resolution.

There is a resolution. It's the same resolution that's been available for years. It's called "Make the feature request, then, while you wait, either use the program as it currently exists or find another product that suits your needs".

Period.

I have no idea what other "resolution" you seem to think you're entitled to or that vMix will provide.

I've made several feature requests & +1'ed even more. I might be a bit disappointed when they aren't implemented with each release, but I'm not going around throwing a hissy fit about it. Especially since, if you actually look through the Feature Requests forum, you'll see that, when they are implemented, it usually takes years after they're made.

I want to say I saw one that was pretty popular around 2015 that got implemented in v22 or 23.

I am going to kindly request some of the stuff like the additional shortcuts & API info/commands mentioned earlier be added in a minor release after 25 is shipped.

Feature Request forum is right here--post to your heart's content.
thanks 1 user thanked WaltG12 for this useful post.
MTB on 2/1/2022(UTC)
GuiMac  
#14 Posted : Thursday, February 3, 2022 9:40:10 PM(UTC)
GuiMac

Brazil

Originally Posted by: melody Go to Quoted Post
my view,

"what i want to do is not so dificult to me but require some time to get it work, i don't want to waste my time like others, it's better for me to ask for new features, i will left the dirty job to admin"

Give me the full state of the inputs and outputs on the xml and I will do all the activators that I need, I have zero problem with that and I can develop my own solutions. But, yeah, the job is for VMix to do, it's a closed source program, right?

And I would like to ask people to compare the pre release thread of v24 and v25:

Quote:

New Features and Changes

* Instant Replay revamp!
Eight channel continuous recording of up to eight camera inputs including 4 channel audio.
Added support for high frame rates for capture input and replay, up to 240fps.
Recordings are high quality vMix AVI 4:2:2 files with resolution support up to 4K and Progressive and Interlaced support.
Audio is recorded as uncompressed 48khz 4 channel 32Bit Float.
Two output playback channels that can be controlled independently or in sync and have any camera angle assigned to each.
Twenty (20) Events lists are available that can each include an unlimited number of Mark In and Mark Out points that can be added on the fly and changed at any time.
Events tabs can have custom names applied.
Export events to separate video files on the fly, or use the recordings straight away in your favourite video editor without conversion in MP4 or AVI format.
Dedicated Replay MultiView output with two playback channels alongside eight live camera previews which can be optionally enabled.
Support for two replay controllers simultaneously (JLCooper and ShuttlePro v2) to control each channel independently.
Many new replay functions added including to switch audio source in real time and delete/duplicate events.

* More Stingers and GT Stingers
Two new Stinger channels added.
GT title templates can be used with stingers automatically, where TransitionIn and TransitionOut are used with cut occurring between them.

* Basic Borders for Input Layers
The border feature on Overlay channels can now also be applied to Input Layers.

* NDI 4.5

* Alerts
New alerts manager to flash on screen if there is low audio or FTB enabled.

* Everything is FEIM
New "Faulty Encoder Isolation Mode" for NDI separates each input into its own background application, so if an encoder causes a crash it will not impact.
Note, this mode will increase CPU and memory usage, so will not allow as many NDI inputs.
This can be enabled in Settings -> Performance with Advanced Settings checked.

* Other
Input MultiView renamed Input Layers to make it easier for new users. New shortcut names added as well, with old shortcuts kept for backwards compatibility.
New SRT indicator at top right of vMix main window. Red when connected, amber when no-connection or error.
Dynamic Inputs and Dynamic Values supported. Whatever is set with these functions can be recalled by typing in "DynamicValue1-4" as the Value field, or selecting the Dynamic options in the Input dropdown.
Dynamic activators to see which inputs are selected in 1 of 4 dynamic input channels.
Audio channel matrix presets
Tally Lights now follow main input when using virtual PTZ presets.
Added right click menu to vMix Calls under Advanced to show blank frame when call disconnects.
Added OnCallDisconnected/Connected triggers
Data source pausing support with shortcut functions.
Support for focus control on most PTZ Optics camera models (excluding ZCam) when latest firmware installed.
lbgaus  
#15 Posted : Friday, February 18, 2022 8:16:44 PM(UTC)
lbgaus

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 14 post(s)
Originally Posted by: WaltG12 Go to Quoted Post
Why exactly do you feel it's important to air your frustrations at all?

Feature Request forum is right here--post to your heart's content.

I was beginning to wonder why someone would be so inconspicuously insufferably rude for literally no reason, then I clicked on your "Last 10 posts" then immediately saw you are combative and rude with everyone it seems. Glad to know it's not me...

Don't post in the forums for the sole purpose of belittling someone else or their opinion. You're not helping anyone by being on here doing that stuff.

I don't think it's possible for me to disagree with this statement more.

No software developer needs to even accept feature requests. The fact that vMix not only accepts them but pays attention to them puts them ahead of the crowd.

Well, you are entitled to your opinion. But, generally, developers of paid/licensed software always have incentive to field feature requests from their customers and triage them accordingly.