logo

Live Production Software Forums


Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mcook75  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, January 12, 2022 12:00:56 AM(UTC)
mcook75

Rank: Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 10/21/2020(UTC)
Posts: 15
United Kingdom
Location: Bulkington

Thanks: 5 times
Has anyone ever experienced their 10Gb network card crashing? I've had the same issue over 4 or 5 PC's and on different 2 switches!

This has only ever happened when running vMix, but they were bought for vMix, so don't really do much else!

What happens is, the system will be working fine for days, then the all network traffic stops on the card, it IP address stays the same. The only way to resolve this, is to disable the network card and re-enable it, then it all pops back up and works.

The fault doesn't trigger all at the same time, it could happened on one machine, but not effect another two on the same network.

Here's a rundown on the the key pieces of equipment;

- All machines have the Asus 10GB network card
- Netgear M4300 24 port switch (not running the latest firmware, but will be once the current show finishes!)
- Approximately 1GB bandwidth being used (8 vMix calls, 10-12 NDI links)
- Router is Peplink Max Transit Duo
- NDI links not currently running multicast

All the machines are different, but in general they're all 10th Gen i9/i7, RTX graphics cards, 32+Gb ram, windows 10, vMix 24 (updated as per the latest release).

If anyone has any insight into what may be the issue, it would be appreciated.
jtocci2  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, January 12, 2022 8:09:58 AM(UTC)
jtocci2

Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 1/12/2021(UTC)
Posts: 2
United States
Location: Los Angeles

Do you have the model number on our ASUS 10 GBE NIC?

A few ideas:

1) Have you tried running with the side of the case off? Curious is it's a heat issue.
2) Might also be worth trying different drivers -- if using the default from Microsoft, that could be your issue right there.
3) Does your switch have any sort of "storm control" -- with the number of NDI feeds bouncing around, that might trigger an over zealous managed switch.
4) Are you using the 4x SFP+ ports on that 24 port switch? DAC cables, or RJ45? I know the RJ45 SFP+ modules get toasty... that could be part of the problem.
5) Have you run an iperf test on your network setup to ensure that you're getting the 10GBE performance?
6) Following up on the previous item, have you tried other benchmarking tools (I know some folks like black magic design's speed test tool: https://www.diyphotograp...isk-speed-test-on-a-pc/)
7) Bottom line is, try to stress the system out piece by piece, isolating/replacing components until you find the failure. Trick with 10GBE networks, since it's unlikely that you have a replacement switch, and other components, but give it a shot.

8) worse case scenario, consider using a second 1 GBE NIC for a 2x 1 GBE network connectivity. I found that was a quick and easy fix when fully saturating a 1 GBE connection during tech checks before a major livestream.
mcook75  
#3 Posted : Thursday, January 13, 2022 2:06:33 AM(UTC)
mcook75

Rank: Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 10/21/2020(UTC)
Posts: 15
United Kingdom
Location: Bulkington

Thanks: 5 times
thanks for getting back to me!



Originally Posted by: jtocci2 Go to Quoted Post
Do you have the model number on our ASUS 10 GBE NIC?

Asus XG-C100C

Originally Posted by: jtocci2 Go to Quoted Post

1) Have you tried running with the side of the case off? Curious is it's a heat issue.

Yes it had no change

Originally Posted by: jtocci2 Go to Quoted Post

2) Might also be worth trying different drivers -- if using the default from Microsoft, that could be your issue right there.

the one installed is the Asus driver

Originally Posted by: jtocci2 Go to Quoted Post

3) Does your switch have any sort of "storm control" -- with the number of NDI feeds bouncing around, that might trigger an over zealous managed switch.

It does have storm control, Broadcast is on, but Multicast and Unicast are both off

Originally Posted by: jtocci2 Go to Quoted Post

4) Are you using the 4x SFP+ ports on that 24 port switch? DAC cables, or RJ45? I know the RJ45 SFP+ modules get toasty... that could be part of the problem.

we're not using the SFP+ ports, just the RJ45, with CAT6a cabling to the 10Gb PCs, the switch doesn't seem particularly hot

Originally Posted by: jtocci2 Go to Quoted Post

5) Have you run an iperf test on your network setup to ensure that you're getting the 10GBE performance?

I have (just!) I was getting 8-9Gbs on all 10Gb PCs, so fairly happy with that


Originally Posted by: jtocci2 Go to Quoted Post

6) Following up on the previous item, have you tried other benchmarking tools (I know some folks like black magic design's speed test tool: https://www.diyphotograp...isk-speed-test-on-a-pc/)

No not done that yet, although isn't that a disk test, not a network test?

Originally Posted by: jtocci2 Go to Quoted Post

7) Bottom line is, try to stress the system out piece by piece, isolating/replacing components until you find the failure. Trick with 10GBE networks, since it's unlikely that you have a replacement switch, and other components, but give it a shot.

I have tried different switches (same model), it does the same.

Originally Posted by: jtocci2 Go to Quoted Post

8) worse case scenario, consider using a second 1 GBE NIC for a 2x 1 GBE network connectivity. I found that was a quick and easy fix when fully saturating a 1 GBE connection during tech checks before a major livestream.

I haven't tried that, I could try adding the 1Gb connection to the run along side teh 10Gb one, but it's only running at 1Gb when fully loaded!



I feel like it's the Asus card that's failing, that's where i'm heading.
Users browsing this topic
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.