logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Peter Berglund  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, March 3, 2021 10:31:42 PM(UTC)
Peter Berglund

Groups: Registered
Man
Sweden

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Hi,

We do a lot of productions with remote guests using Teams (NDI) or vMixCall. When they are not in full frame by themselves, we have composed different types of "PIP-layouts" with MultiView depending on type of session. And it works just fine and looks very good.

But the thing is that the used inputs are cropped to fit the designated PIPs. In other words, an incoming 16:9 video could be assigned to a 9:16 PIP for example in order to have three or more persons side by side so to say. And by cropping out a part of the input video, we often need to finetune the PAN X value for that MultiView input to get the character centered. This works fine as well, but you have to navigate into the settings dialogue in order to change parameters for the specific layer.

As this adds stress during live sessions, I would love to have a shortcut for PAN X which I could tie to a MIDI-knob (or a Skaarhoj encoder). In that way it would be really easy to reposition the content in the respected PIP on the fly. And as people tends to move around as well sideways during a session, having this function would be really handy as you then "dynamically" can finetune the position.

So, please add the following shortcuts for MultiView:

• SetPanX
  • SetPanY
  • SetZoom

I hope more of you have use of this feature so it will be implemented :)

Thx!
/Peter
thanks 1 user thanked Peter Berglund for this useful post.
Clem on 3/14/2021(UTC)
doggy  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, March 3, 2021 11:13:43 PM(UTC)
doggy

Belgium

Was thanked: 916 time(s) in 755 post(s)
One could easily tie a shortcut to the pan/zoom settings to go in increments of move per keystroke on the fly

I believe this would also be a good use of the new dynamic feature in v24 to specify which one of the inputs the shortcut would apply
Yes it applies to the input ( or a virtual one) and depends on how you "designed" the multiview layout (masking or so) but IMO the layout would be preferable be a virtual set with UVmaps ( less issues with the framing, cropping and masking within the layout )
pj_hall  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, March 9, 2021 10:39:37 PM(UTC)
pj_hall

Germany

I second this request..!

Alternatively allow the Virtual PTZ control to pan without zooming (right now you HAVE to zoom 2x to allow a pan), so we can position the subjects head within the frame and add an overlay with a cut-out for the head-shot.

I would like to use a gamepad joystick to do this for the preview input to position each head in a multi-view PIP scenario.

We use 1080p camera feeds and 1080p program output, so 2x zoom reduces the quality of the head-shot and is not acceptable.

..Peter
Clem  
#4 Posted : Sunday, March 14, 2021 9:52:49 PM(UTC)
Clem

France

+1

This is a game changer shortcut for all digital event.

In top if that i would love to have :
Set crop
On/off layer number

If Someone has hack for this while waiting for this coming true I'm in.

DSEGEV  
#5 Posted : Friday, March 26, 2021 8:18:02 AM(UTC)
DSEGEV

Israel

+1
This really gonna be a game changer for my live production.
Martin Block  
#6 Posted : Friday, March 26, 2021 1:07:28 PM(UTC)
Martin Block

Philippines

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
+1

Hi Peter, here is a work around for up to 3 speakers/cameras using luma masks and panning with keystroke shortcosts (as doggy mentioned).
Instead of cropping your camera inputs, you create a Mask input (white box on a black back ground -2 layers) and output it in a mix input (you have Mix2,3 & 4 available). That mix you assign to you your camera feed as key/fill input.
That way you have a "cropped" camera shot in the shape of the white box you created.
You do this to all 3 camera inputs and then assign them in your desired position and size as a multiview.

Now you just have to pan the mask input by assigning shortcuts - SetPanX - you can do -0.3/-0.2/-0.1/0/0.1/0.2/0.3 as shortucts which should give you enough flexibility to move around and get the speaker in the center of your shot.
However, when you move the mask input your "cropped" camera input will also move and thus your multiview will be out of position. To counter act that you need to pan your camera input opposite to your mask pan. (e.g. you assign a shortcut key to pan the mask input by 0.1 and that same shortcut key to pan the camera input by -0.1)

And of course you do this with dynamic inputs so that you don't have to use too many shortcuts keys.

This way you avoid going into settings. I am not sure though if this is worth the effort :-)

Hope this helps

Cheers
David_in_Philly  
#7 Posted : Sunday, March 28, 2021 8:14:01 AM(UTC)
David_in_Philly

United States

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 8 post(s)
+1
BasilChessman  
#8 Posted : Thursday, April 1, 2021 10:45:06 AM(UTC)
BasilChessman

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
++1
pablodna  
#9 Posted : Sunday, May 9, 2021 10:58:57 AM(UTC)
pablodna

Argentina

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Originally Posted by: doggy Go to Quoted Post
One could easily tie a shortcut to the pan/zoom settings to go in increments of move per keystroke on the fly

Ey!
How are you?

Im trying to do exactly what you say: go o on increments and decrements (with another key) per keystroke in the SetPanX and SetPanY shortcuts to move an input.

How is that done? Could you explain?

Thank you very much!
buffos  
#10 Posted : Sunday, May 9, 2021 11:57:08 AM(UTC)
buffos

Greece

Let me add to that on MultiView

The motivation is achieving what the Merge transition does, without having to duplicate scenes again and again.

a) all operations in the multiview tab, should have a script-shortcut equivalent. Pan, Zoom, Crop, Border
b) Pan and Zoom should have a combined scripting solution.

For example API.Function("TransformMultiViewOverlay", Input:="The Input Name", Value:="Index,panDx, panDy, newZoomX, newZoomY", duration:="milliseconds")

What will that do?

For the Overlay in Input with the given name and at the given index
- increase the panX by panDx, panY by panDy
- set the newZoomX and newZoomY
- do this transformation in the given time.

This will allow simple animations such as

- move a layer out of the view, replace it with a new input and bring it back in.
- turn of other layers and make fullscreen on of the layers and many more

No need to create additional inputs, scenes etc. Create one scene and move pieces by shortcuts.
buffos  
#11 Posted : Sunday, May 9, 2021 11:58:49 AM(UTC)
buffos

Greece

Originally Posted by: pablodna Go to Quoted Post

Ey!
How are you?

Im trying to do exactly what you say: go o on increments and decrements (with another key) per keystroke in the SetPanX and SetPanY shortcuts to move an input.

Thank you very much!

SetPanX works only on the whole Input. It does not work in a Multiview Layered input on a selected Index.

pablodna  
#12 Posted : Sunday, May 9, 2021 11:04:52 PM(UTC)
pablodna

Argentina

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Originally Posted by: buffos Go to Quoted Post

Ey!
How are you?

Thank you very much!

SetPanX works only on the whole Input. It does not work in a Multiview Layered input on a selected Index.

Yes i know....maybe this is the wrong post.

What i want to do is to move an Input (SetPanX, SetanY, an SetZoom). Then, that Input is going to be in an Overlay...but thats doesnt matter actually.

This...

But the SetPanX and SetPanY only allows to make statics movements...from one point to another.

Thanks!
Howlswolf  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, July 21, 2021 3:31:16 AM(UTC)
Howlswolf

Canada

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
+1
johnwfarrand  
#14 Posted : Friday, November 12, 2021 5:05:40 AM(UTC)
johnwfarrand

United States

Originally Posted by: buffos Go to Quoted Post

Ey!
How are you?

Thank you very much!

Yes i know....maybe this is the wrong post.

What i want to do is to move an Input (SetPanX, SetanY, an SetZoom). Then, that Input is going to be in an Overlay...but thats doesnt matter actually.

This...

But the SetPanX and SetPanY only allows to make statics movements...from one point to another.

Thanks!

The implementation I use is a little different, but the TL:DR is:
The "SetPanX" and "SetPanY" calls do allow you to just move by a delta amount, not only the fixed position you enter.

I run vMix on virtual machines in a cloud production environment I'm building for my employer, so my use of StreamDecks is a little different than most. BitFocus Companion is a good substitute for a lot of the local/USB usability for vMix, but our current use is set up to just use HTTP Get calls. So each StreamDeck button is just a "Website" with "GET request in background" checked.

The URLs use the API calls, and sometimes I have to make multi-action buttons to combine some actions [that don't need triggers assigned to vMix Inputs]. The URL's look like this:

http://ip:port/api/?function=OverlayInput4&input=Intro-Revised.mov (Run this Overlay with this Input)
http://ip:port/api/?function=SetMultiViewOverlay&Value=1,56 (Change layer 1 to this Input)

Recently I too have had to setup the "Move Under A Mask With a Mix Input... because of Leaning Talent" (since vMix STILL won't let us add Alpha Masks to individual layers regardless of position... I wouldn't even mind using up layers as Masks, if we could gain that functionality [a simple 'Use layer as mask to adjacent underlayer' checkbox would be great])

The syntax on the URL looks like:

"SetPanX&Value=-=.1&Input=X"

- '&Value='Minus by .1' (this would be "Move Left by .1 amount")
- But URLs use Percent Encoding.. and usually don't like the '+' and '-' characters so these have to be converted, so the final URL actually looks like:

http://ip:port/api/?function=SetPanX&Value=%2D%3D.1&Input=61

The inverse of this to move right (%2D = '+' [Plus]):

http://ip:port/api/?function=SetPanX&Value=%2B%3D.1&Input=61

Key:
%2D = '-'
%2B = '+'
%3D = '='

This also works for Raising Volume by a percentage amount:

http://ip:port/api/?function=SetBusAVolume&Value=%2B%3D4

I'm constantly amazed by what we're able to do with vMix, but I know a lot of us are frustrated by some big issues like:
- 1080p Calls
- Ability to crop masks (I understand computing issues here.. but most of us would be okay with limits "Only able to crop 10 total nested inputs)
- Ability to use a layer as a mask to an adjacent layer would be a complete game changer for most of us.. and it shouldn't add too much computing drain because of the 0 / 100 alpha values and the fact that you can already crop each layer in an input is already there, the mask would just say what pixels are transparent or not... PLEASE LET US EAT LAYERS FOR MASKS!

My rambling is finished, but I hope the Delta Syntax usages above help someone out there!
Peter Berglund  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, January 11, 2022 10:41:42 PM(UTC)
Peter Berglund

Man
Sweden

Thanks for all the proactive suggestions to handle this topic!

However, I still believe that it would be great to have shortcuts for Multiview parameters as originally suggested. I just checked the help-file for vMix25 and as far as I can see there are no new shortcuts for these parameters... :( I recall Martin mentioned that a bunch of new shortcuts were implemented in vMix25, but apparently not these ones.
Peter Berglund  
#16 Posted : Tuesday, September 13, 2022 11:24:04 PM(UTC)
Peter Berglund

Man
Sweden

In the September vMix Fun Time Live Show from IBC, Martin mentioned that more shortcuts will be implemented in vMix 26. I hope that these will be some of them :)

Thx!
Papo  
#17 Posted : Wednesday, September 14, 2022 7:47:44 AM(UTC)
Papo

Peru

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
what was said in comment 10 would be really great, I would add the rotations so different animations could be made,
kol0  
#18 Posted : Monday, November 14, 2022 5:41:33 AM(UTC)
kol0

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 8 post(s)
+1