logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
BobRoy  
#21 Posted : Friday, November 5, 2021 11:57:19 AM(UTC)
BobRoy

Groups: Registered
New Zealand

Agree with all previous comments.
I'm currently running 3-4 virtual conferences a week and every presenter via vmix call has asked for virtual/blurred backgrounds.
They all make comparisons to zoom and teams.
Come on vmix you can do this
QuintvK  
#22 Posted : Wednesday, November 24, 2021 10:52:24 PM(UTC)
QuintvK

Netherlands

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
+1
AEGFX  
#23 Posted : Wednesday, December 15, 2021 5:53:59 PM(UTC)
AEGFX

United Kingdom

+1
mjgraves  
#24 Posted : Thursday, December 16, 2021 5:37:11 AM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

Was thanked: 263 time(s) in 233 post(s)
I really don't like the virtual greenscreen and blurring effects. They look nasty. The raggety, animated edges are more distracting than the original background.

That said, people want these things. The Jitsi team at 8x8 have implemented it in Jitsi Video Bridge. This proves that you can do it in the browser.

Https://meet.jit.si
WaltG12  
#25 Posted : Saturday, January 8, 2022 12:23:05 PM(UTC)
WaltG12

United States

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 24 post(s)
Count this as my -1.

Originally Posted by: pba Go to Quoted Post
Virtual background and blurred background can be a really usefull feautre!

When it works, sure.

A lot of times, if not most times, it doesn't produce anything that I'd call "broadcast quality".

Introducing a feature into a live production software that makes the image look worse isn't useful in the least.

Originally Posted by: adebeau Go to Quoted Post
Sure it will arrive soon, Go VMIX Go !

I doubt that.

If vMix implemented it, people would expect it to work, and people would expect it to work consistently & well.

The technology does not currently work consistently & well.

Until the technology works consistently & well, I very much doubt that vMix will risk damaging their brand by implementing it anyway in software that's meant to produce a broadcast quality output.

Originally Posted by: matkeane Go to Quoted Post
+1. This is a fairly frequent client request (although quality doesn't seem to be a major factor, given the examples I've seen!).

So, to be clear, your position is that it isn't a high quality production standard, but it should be implemented in high quality production software anyway?

Do you not see the problem with that?

Originally Posted by: Hypohamish Go to Quoted Post
+1 - I know the way Teams & zoom do it is 'shoddy', but that's literally all we need to keep clients happy.

Why would/should vMix lower their standards associated with their brand, just because your clients have lower standards & you don't wish to use a software that will produce the lower quality result they're looking for?

Originally Posted by: pba Go to Quoted Post
Zoom, Skype, and Teams can do this, so our clients are don't understand why its not available with VMIX call.

So then you explain to them that vMix isn't Zoom, Skype, & Teams. It's a high quality production software meant to output a broadcast quality production.

Then you can explain to them that implementing a feature like this would hurt their brand image, because people would begin to associate the brand with shoddy background removal videos.

The whole point of vMix Call is "broadcast quality video & audio above all else". You can use it however you want, for whatever you want, but it is not a consumer-grade product, and I'd be beyond upset at the team if they start treating it like one.

If you want the image quality of Skype, Teams, and Zoom, with terrible background removal, I don't think anyone here would begrudge you for using Skype, Teams, or Zoom.

Originally Posted by: richardgatarski Go to Quoted Post
+1

I hate the result, as it typically looks terrible). But the callers we prep daily want this feature, and in the end our customers who pay the bill. Also heard comments from them about vMix Call not being pro stuff (like Teams and Zoom).

"This software doesn't produce a lower quality image, therefore it's not professional grade"? Your clients are not very bright.

I don't understand why you can acknowledge that it often looks awful, but then still ask vMix to sacrifice their quality standards to implement it.

If your clients want lower quality video, why not just offer them a product that will provide lower quality video, instead of asking a $350+ product to provide the quality equivalent of a free product?

Originally Posted by: schematic Go to Quoted Post
+1

Clients are demanding blurred backgrounds now. Everyone is used to this in other software.
Please provide timeline for availability in vMix Caller.

You and everyone else with "clients" are, presumably, selling your services in generating a video based product on their behalf.

As I've noted, I don't understand why so many want vMix to reduce their quality standards.

But I especially don't understand why so many are willing to reduce yours.

Why do you want to associate your brands with this lower quality crap?

Aren't you in this to produce a product that you're happy to put your name and reputation to?

Why would you want your clients to show off a consumer-grade background removal job and say "This is what we got from [your company]"?

While they may not care about the lower quality, others they show it to, who might be looking for similar service providers, might.

It's obvious to me why vMix wouldn't want their name on it, but it's not the least obvious why you want your name on it.

Originally Posted by: BobRoy Go to Quoted Post
They all make comparisons to zoom and teams.

And then you inform them of the difference between a professional-grade production solution & a consumer-grade meeting solution.

Originally Posted by: BobRoy Go to Quoted Post
Come on vmix you can do this

They can.

I don't see why they would.

Originally Posted by: mjgraves Go to Quoted Post
I really don't like the virtual greenscreen and blurring effects. They look nasty. The raggety, animated edges are more distracting than the original background.

That said, people want these things. The Jitsi team at 8x8 have implemented it in Jitsi Video Bridge. This proves that you can do it in the browser.

When you're dealing with high quality production software for broadcast quality productions, there's no difference between "Looks terrible, but you can do it" and "You can't do it".

Well, no, there is one difference.

The latter doesn't require the developer to risk their reputation by releasing a solution that results in a lower quality product or spend time fielding bug reports when a shoddy solution behaves as expected (shoddily).

How would you feel if you did this, it looked as terrible as it always did, and you emailed Martin saying "Hey, this looks terrible. Any fixes?" and he wrote back "Yeah, it looks terrible, but it's designed to look terrible. Nothing we can do."?

Would people who got the "That's how it's supposed to look" response have a good view of vMix after that?
David_in_Philly  
#26 Posted : Saturday, January 8, 2022 3:14:59 PM(UTC)
David_in_Philly

United States

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 8 post(s)
+1
spiro67  
#27 Posted : Monday, June 26, 2023 9:59:05 PM(UTC)
spiro67

South Africa

We do virtual events/webinars for companies and they all get frustrated when we tell then there is no virtual background on vMix Call. This is really becoming a must to the point that clients may not use our services due to it.

engelschall  
#28 Posted : Saturday, July 1, 2023 8:31:53 PM(UTC)
engelschall

Germany

Was thanked: 32 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Instead of vMix Call inputs you could use Browser inputs and inside those inputs run VDO.Ninja-based VDON-Call (https://github.com/rse/vdon-call) instances. This way your callers can leverage 1080p, background blurring, backhground replacement, screen-sharing, etc. vMix Call is nice, but often really too limited. VDO.Ninja on the other hand is the ultimate flexibility. VDON-Call is a simple frontend to VDO.Ninja, to allow you to master VDO.Ninja easily and to give your VDO.Ninja users a better user experience.