logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Johninstockie  
#1 Posted : Friday, July 2, 2021 1:18:40 AM(UTC)
Johninstockie

Groups: Registered
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi Guys

With the launch of vmix Max, vmix is now open to be used by many who could not justify paying for the Pro version.

Myself for example, I shoot community sports for free for my local community, so I don't have any funds to buy the software outright. However, $50 a month is still not cheap (with all the other costs we have for cell networks, cameras, etc), its a lot out of your own pocket.

I (and many others in community sports) want a solution that costs about $25 - $30 a month max, but with 1 replay (as most of the time its just the one camera being used), i.e. we want the 4K version.

$30 a month for vmix 4K?, I would pay that out of my own pocket to shoot the community sports for parents and families in my own community.

Whats your thoughts? Please Like if you agree.

Thanks
thanks 1 user thanked Johninstockie for this useful post.
DoctorOW on 7/24/2021(UTC)
doggy  
#2 Posted : Friday, July 2, 2021 1:34:09 AM(UTC)
doggy

Belgium

Was thanked: 916 time(s) in 755 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Johninstockie Go to Quoted Post
Hi Guys

With the launch of vmix Max, vmix is now open to be used by many who could not justify paying for the Pro version.

Myself for example, I shoot community sports for free for my local community, so I don't have any funds to buy the software outright. However, $50 a month is still not cheap (with all the other costs we have for cell networks, cameras, etc), its a lot out of your own pocket.

I (and many others in community sports) want a solution that costs about $25 - $30 a month max, but with 1 replay (as most of the time its just the one camera being used), i.e. we want the 4K version.

$30 a month for vmix 4K?, I would pay that out of my own pocket to shoot the community sports for parents and families in my own community.

Thanks

If the community like and appreciate your service they might consider giving you small donations for your service . Many small make a big one
Johninstockie  
#3 Posted : Friday, July 2, 2021 7:21:50 AM(UTC)
Johninstockie

United Kingdom

Or not, depending on culture (I've been doing this for years), but thanks for the feedback
Babbit  
#4 Posted : Friday, July 2, 2021 9:56:55 AM(UTC)
Babbit

United States

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 20 post(s)
I really like the monthly option. It lets us rent systems and use vMix whenever we want to temporarily scale up our efforts.

I think $50/month for the top version of vMix is a steal, to be honest. You could always go to VizRT and use their monthly pricing... Which starts at $1700+/month.
thanks 1 user thanked Babbit for this useful post.
Johninstockie on 7/2/2021(UTC)
Simsyuk  
#5 Posted : Friday, July 2, 2021 6:30:23 PM(UTC)
Simsyuk

United Kingdom

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 17 post(s)
I run a non-profit free service which I pay for myself as people just don't donate. Personally I think it's expensive, lets say you pay for the subscription and over two years you could have paid for the software and own it, but instead you keep paying for the subscription which means you're paying more.

I think they should have done a payment plain instead (you can rent Microsoft Office for only 7.99 a month!), besides I would only use the 4k version myself.

thanks 1 user thanked Simsyuk for this useful post.
Johninstockie on 7/2/2021(UTC)
doggy  
#6 Posted : Friday, July 2, 2021 7:37:40 PM(UTC)
doggy

Belgium

Have to wonder : is the hardware used subscription based ?
richardgatarski  
#7 Posted : Friday, July 2, 2021 8:23:16 PM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Was thanked: 292 time(s) in 246 post(s)
I think that the pricing for the whole suit of vMix editions is extremely good. There is a wide selection of options, and what we get for the money is outstanding! I do also appreciate that you "buy" a package, which can be upgraded (in a very logical fashion), and also sometime pay for a new version (at an affordable cost).

Their introduction of vMix Max is in my view a nice step, and I will probably use it sometimes.

I suggest that you who are interested in the motivation and price for vMix Max listen to vMix Fun time love show for June. There Martin explains why the Pro edition, its price, and the possibility of other subscription ideas.

/richard
thanks 1 user thanked richardgatarski for this useful post.
Johninstockie on 7/17/2021(UTC)
Babbit  
#8 Posted : Friday, July 2, 2021 8:37:53 PM(UTC)
Babbit

United States

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 20 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Simsyuk Go to Quoted Post
(you can rent Microsoft Office for only 7.99 a month!)

I hate this argument with a capital H, no offense.

Microsoft is a huge company with a crazy portfolio to offset costs. Even then, Office 365 has a insanely larger user base than vMix. Yet, shareholders periodically push for Windows to be strictly subscription-based in the name of profits.

vMix has no intention of ever becoming strictly subscription-based. Don't forget that people worry about things like this because of the crap larger companies have pulled.

I think people forget how spoiled we are. I mean, you see Martin monthly and get support responses from him. Tell me the last time you got a response from the head developer of Office. Better yet, tell me his or her name without looking it up.
thanks 4 users thanked Babbit for this useful post.
doggy on 7/3/2021(UTC), ggudnason on 7/4/2021(UTC), grantcoll on 7/18/2021(UTC), eduardocfs on 7/18/2021(UTC)
Simsyuk  
#9 Posted : Saturday, July 3, 2021 6:59:51 AM(UTC)
Simsyuk

United Kingdom

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Babbit Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Simsyuk Go to Quoted Post
(you can rent Microsoft Office for only 7.99 a month!)

I hate this argument with a capital H, no offense.

Microsoft is a huge company with a crazy portfolio to offset costs. Even then, Office 365 has a insanely larger user base than vMix. Yet, shareholders periodically push for Windows to be strictly subscription-based in the name of profits.

vMix has no intention of ever becoming strictly subscription-based. Don't forget that people worry about things like this because of the crap larger companies have pulled.

I think people forget how spoiled we are. I mean, you see Martin monthly and get support responses from him. Tell me the last time you got a response from the head developer of Office. Better yet, tell me his or her name without looking it up.

I understand your comments and the reason behind it, I still think $50 is a lot of money for those who can't afford it (and yes I did watch the live fun time). Yet again I understand it's a small team and vMix has my support for now.

thanks 1 user thanked Simsyuk for this useful post.
Johninstockie on 7/17/2021(UTC)
MartLeib  
#10 Posted : Saturday, July 3, 2021 9:47:41 PM(UTC)
MartLeib

Estonia

Was thanked: 52 time(s) in 42 post(s)
If 50$ is too much, use OBS which is free. Easy as that, build your service around that not around software your budget does not allow for.
thanks 4 users thanked MartLeib for this useful post.
doggy on 7/3/2021(UTC), ggudnason on 7/4/2021(UTC), GingerBlue on 7/4/2021(UTC), Johninstockie on 7/17/2021(UTC)
Capybara  
#11 Posted : Monday, July 5, 2021 2:12:59 PM(UTC)
Capybara

Man
United States

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Highly agree Babbit, richardgatarski and MartLeib. We are all spoiled rotten for choice today, and insanely, the new normal is free. DaVinci Resolve is one of the top two editing software suites on the market and its free. But Blackmagic Design is a huge company compared to vMix so they can afford to give away excellent software to sell hardware like their cameras. vMix is a software company with only one product to date and vMix doesn't sell hardware so there is nothing to subsidize lowering the cost.

Our live streaming company has bought five Pro seats of vMix, paying $6,000.00 and for the feature set, innovation, support, and constant updates and innovative new features, we honestly felt like we were getting away with something illicit in only paying $1,200 per seat. If pro level live streaming and vMix was a larger market, vMix Pro would easily be fetching $2k-$3.5k to buy or at least $100-$200 per month subscription. There is literally not another competitor for live streaming that is even in the same league. Newtek is in the sort of in the same league at least if you want to spend $30k plus for an Elite 2. Everything else is cloud based which isn't reliable or very well supported or there are regular video switchers, which when you compare those to what vMix can do, makes the switcher and encoder workflow seem positively archaic.

We were initially spooked by the announcement of vMix Max but after hearing Martin and Tim talk about why they came out with it, we have no problem with it as they seem pretty convicted that they will keep the perpetual licenses. So anything that makes them more money is a good thing in my mind, it means that vMix can grow and prosper and continue to innovate and Martin and Tim can be better compensated for their hard work.

I personally don't believe they should drop the cost for subscriptions at all, but if you watch the June show, I think they are just waiting to see how it goes before they decide if they will create other subscription tiers or possibly even stop with the subscriptions. At this point, it's a business experiment for them. It really is amazing though that people think $50.00 per month is too much for the capability and feature set built into vMix.
thanks 6 users thanked Capybara for this useful post.
doggy on 7/5/2021(UTC), ask on 7/5/2021(UTC), rudyengels on 7/6/2021(UTC), goyco2003 on 7/7/2021(UTC), grantcoll on 7/18/2021(UTC), eduardocfs on 7/18/2021(UTC)
Johninstockie  
#12 Posted : Saturday, July 17, 2021 2:49:05 AM(UTC)
Johninstockie

United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: MartLeib Go to Quoted Post
If 50$ is too much, use OBS which is free. Easy as that, build your service around that not around software your budget does not allow for.

MartLieb, if I did that, then I would not be supporting my community. I understand what you are saying, and if this was a business, then that is exactly how I would do it.

I am asking as a solo providing help to a non-profit community sports team, where money is tight so it has to be spent carefully (as its mine). Hence why I ask if others would be interested in subscribing to different version of the software, like me.

Johninstockie  
#13 Posted : Saturday, July 17, 2021 2:51:20 AM(UTC)
Johninstockie

United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: Capybara Go to Quoted Post
Highly agree Babbit, richardgatarski and MartLeib. We are all spoiled rotten for choice today, and insanely, the new normal is free. DaVinci Resolve is one of the top two editing software suites on the market and its free. But Blackmagic Design is a huge company compared to vMix so they can afford to give away excellent software to sell hardware like their cameras. vMix is a software company with only one product to date and vMix doesn't sell hardware so there is nothing to subsidize lowering the cost.

Our live streaming company has bought five Pro seats of vMix, paying $6,000.00 and for the feature set, innovation, support, and constant updates and innovative new features, we honestly felt like we were getting away with something illicit in only paying $1,200 per seat. If pro level live streaming and vMix was a larger market, vMix Pro would easily be fetching $2k-$3.5k to buy or at least $100-$200 per month subscription. There is literally not another competitor for live streaming that is even in the same league. Newtek is in the sort of in the same league at least if you want to spend $30k plus for an Elite 2. Everything else is cloud based which isn't reliable or very well supported or there are regular video switchers, which when you compare those to what vMix can do, makes the switcher and encoder workflow seem positively archaic.

We were initially spooked by the announcement of vMix Max but after hearing Martin and Tim talk about why they came out with it, we have no problem with it as they seem pretty convictedthey will keep the perpetual licenses. So anything that makes them more money is a good thing in my mind, it means that vMix can grow and prosper and continue to innovate and Martin and Tim can be better compensated for their hard work.

I personally don't believe they should drop the cost for subscriptions at all, but if you watch the June show, I think they are just waiting to see how it goes before they decide if they will create other subscription tiers or possibly even stop with the subscriptions. At this point, it's a business experiment for them. It really is amazing though that people think $50.00 per month is too much for the capability and feature set built into vMix.

I agree, for a business its a no-brainer, great price and tool. For a non-profit sports club that is always trying to do the best with very little, its aspirational, just trying to get the best results possible with as little as possible.
Johninstockie  
#14 Posted : Saturday, July 17, 2021 2:53:14 AM(UTC)
Johninstockie

United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: doggy Go to Quoted Post
Have to wonder : is the hardware used subscription based ?

Very odd question Doggy. No its not, but I can always sell hardware, or even give to people to use?
MartLeib  
#15 Posted : Sunday, July 18, 2021 1:15:47 PM(UTC)
MartLeib

Estonia

Was thanked: 52 time(s) in 42 post(s)

MartLieb, if I did that, then I would not be supporting my community. I understand what you are saying, and if this was a business, then that is exactly how I would do it.

I am asking as a solo providing help to a non-profit community sports team, where money is tight so it has to be spent carefully (as its mine). Hence why I ask if others would be interested in subscribing to different version of the software, like me.

I get it, but what does OBS lack that you must use vMix? If you take away instant replay (OBS does have 1 camera replay) they are basically the same.. I may get flamed by saying this but it is true, most of the regular live streams can be done using OBS in the same quality as it can be done in vMix, you can use community plugins to have even more functionality.

As I run my own business I know I have to spend money as it is mine since I earned it as well. Let's say that you have a 30$ subscription for vMix 4K per month, which makes it 12 x 30$ = 720$ per year - if the budget is tight, I would take any day 720$ per year/season and invest it to better gear or anything else than software which I can get by without.
thanks 1 user thanked MartLeib for this useful post.
Johninstockie on 7/19/2021(UTC)
shawntempesta  
#16 Posted : Sunday, July 18, 2021 6:55:50 PM(UTC)
shawntempesta

United States

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 7 post(s)
STRONG dislike, unless they keep a buy out option. And even then, the price for buy out is so inexpensive, it's not necessary.

Signed, someone that is still clinging on to Adobe CS6.
doggy  
#17 Posted : Sunday, July 18, 2021 7:14:47 PM(UTC)
doggy

Belgium

Originally Posted by: shawntempesta Go to Quoted Post
STRONG dislike, unless they keep a buy out option.

They do not intend to fully go subscription based !
Tone13  
#18 Posted : Monday, July 19, 2021 10:04:18 AM(UTC)
Tone13

Australia

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

If you are providing a service for free to support your community, there should be no issue in using a free solution like OBS. If your community expects more than what OBS can offer, they should pay you at least enough to cover the cost of vMix.

That aside, I have purchased vMix 4K as it meets my needs for most jobs. Is there going to be any option for me to maybe upgrade to the Full featured version on a subscription basis. So maybe, if you own the 4K version, pay an extra $20 per month for the full version when needed rather than the full sub price.
thanks 1 user thanked Tone13 for this useful post.
Johninstockie on 7/19/2021(UTC)
ask  
#19 Posted : Monday, July 19, 2021 2:06:29 PM(UTC)
ask

Australia

Was thanked: 199 time(s) in 181 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Tone13 Go to Quoted Post
Is there going to be any option for me to maybe upgrade to the Full featured version on a subscription basis. So maybe, if you own the 4K version, pay an extra $20 per month for the full version when needed rather than the full sub price.

You can take a monthly subscription for as long as you want, then revert to 4K by re-applying your key.
doggy  
#20 Posted : Monday, July 19, 2021 4:05:46 PM(UTC)
doggy

Belgium

so I don't have any funds to buy the software outright. However, $50 a month is still not cheap (with all the other costs we have for cell networks, cameras, etc), its a lot out of your own pocket.

Don't forget that is on a per month bases , not continuous but per use. More aimed at if you have a license and you need additional for once for that special production without the need to buy a full license.

Without the ability to afford gas that costly car will not go far for pleasure outings

Quote:

Nope, but these are my thoughts