logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
RiverBen  
#1 Posted : Friday, June 18, 2021 1:00:46 AM(UTC)
RiverBen

Groups: Registered
Man
France

Hi vMixers,

As a production company we have been producing lots of webinars and shows including Callers in the past months.

Our routine :
- set an half an hour session for testing purpose with each caller
- have them use Chrome mostly
- etc.

Most of the shows are good/great
But, as everybody we have noticed from time to time shows with most of the callers with a poor image quality simultaneously

Our last production this week welcomed 12 callers, split in two vMix stations, feeding a third stations, dedicated to the final cut and stream
This one was tough : most of the callers were showing less than 1000 kpbs in the call manager window

As we already faced similar patterns several times, we questionned our set up and devices

We are now on stress tests mode for the past two days
Same set up, same network for our gig, different network for the fake callers, obv

We notice an enormous difference with the use of Firefox versus Chrome for Callers
Most Callers can jump from 1000 kpbs or less to 3000kpbs or more when connecting on Firefox

Has anyone noticed such patterns ?
Any insights ?
best pratices ?

TBH we spent the past year pushing for Chrome to every Callers due to this page :
https://www.vmix.com/kno...on-issues-with-vmix-call
But this pages states also : "Only Safari (Version 13 or higher) will work on iOS devices, Chrome is not supported." ==> this is not true anymore neither

From today, I guess we will stick to Firefox
matkeane  
#2 Posted : Friday, June 18, 2021 4:47:22 AM(UTC)
matkeane

France

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 21 post(s)
Yeah, I have also found Firefox to be more reliable than Chrome - depending on the PC being used. I think the CPU load is higher with Chrome, so callers with less powerful machines seem to get better connection quality (higher data rate and frame rate) with Firefox than Chrome. On more powerful machines, the difference is not so noticeable.
mavik  
#3 Posted : Friday, June 18, 2021 11:43:17 PM(UTC)
mavik

Man

Was thanked: 164 time(s) in 146 post(s)
Two remarks from my side.
#1 With NDI 5 it should be easy to bring in remote guests via this route
#2 Have a look at medialooks VT. They have mix minus, h264/h265 encoding option. Full remote control of the guests cam. If ports are open uses SRT. 1080p.....

Medialooks adds costs sure, but if you earn money and need a reliable solutions it might be worth having a look. If you need a test let me know.

And as a general comment. Please make sure your bandwidth is sufficient. Adding remote guests adds bandwidth to your in/outbound connection. For 12 guests it's 12 times the bandwidth.
RiverBen  
#4 Posted : Monday, June 21, 2021 9:19:25 PM(UTC)
RiverBen

Man
France

Originally Posted by: matkeane Go to Quoted Post
Yeah, I have also found Firefox to be more reliable than Chrome - depending on the PC being used. I think the CPU load is higher with Chrome, so callers with less powerful machines seem to get better connection quality (higher data rate and frame rate) with Firefox than Chrome. On more powerful machines, the difference is not so noticeable.

Thanks for your input

One of the laptop used for this test was a Zephyrus from ASUS : Core i7-8750H & NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 (8Gb)
On this one we went from 300/600 kpbs to 3000/4000 kpbs
Only by switching from Chrome to Firefox...
RiverBen  
#5 Posted : Monday, June 21, 2021 9:23:19 PM(UTC)
RiverBen

Man
France

Originally Posted by: mavik Go to Quoted Post
Two remarks from my side.
#1 With NDI 5 it should be easy to bring in remote guests via this route
#2 Have a look at medialooks VT. They have mix minus, h264/h265 encoding option. Full remote control of the guests cam. If ports are open uses SRT. 1080p.....

Medialooks adds costs sure, but if you earn money and need a reliable solutions it might be worth having a look. If you need a test let me know.

And as a general comment. Please make sure your bandwidth is sufficient. Adding remote guests adds bandwidth to your in/outbound connection. For 12 guests it's 12 times the bandwidth.

Thanks for the input

Yes, can't wait to test NDI5, we'll see..
About Medialooks, atm SRT for remote callers not in our mind. We are struggling a lot with Firewalls and etc at our callers connections
Maybe we are wrong on this, but trully not thinking of adding SRT in such production
Will look into it