logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
craigreilly  
#21 Posted : Wednesday, September 30, 2020 7:24:06 AM(UTC)
craigreilly

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: admin Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: craigreilly Go to Quoted Post

We got vMixBombed last week.
Middle of a presentation...

That is only possible if someone connected using a Call Password they already had access to.
So if you want to prevent this from happening make sure to use a new Call Password each time, go to Input Settings -> Change and replace
the input with a new call password that way.

Note this is not a security issue, as the password numbers are too large to be guessed accidentally.

was totally random
grantcoll  
#22 Posted : Wednesday, September 30, 2020 10:29:54 AM(UTC)
grantcoll

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 9 post(s)
Sorry to make the point again, but I think this is important. My concern is not about someone guessing your password number, it is about someone else in the whole world accidentally typing yours. To say this can't happen, is like saying you have never received a wrong number phone call. I think it would be fair to say we have all received a wrong number call at some time in our life.
thanks 1 user thanked grantcoll for this useful post.
Chrispy on 6/15/2022(UTC)
grantcoll  
#23 Posted : Wednesday, September 30, 2020 10:33:39 AM(UTC)
grantcoll

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 9 post(s)
Originally Posted by: admin Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: craigreilly Go to Quoted Post

We got vMixBombed last week.
Middle of a presentation...

That is only possible if someone connected using a Call Password they already had access to.
So if you want to prevent this from happening make sure to use a new Call Password each time, go to Input Settings -> Change and replace
the input with a new call password that way.

Note this is not a security issue, as the password numbers are too large to be guessed accidentally.

With regards to " .. using a Call Password they already had access to." Doesn't everyone have access to every Call Password ?
mtone  
#24 Posted : Wednesday, September 30, 2020 4:12:39 PM(UTC)
mtone

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 19 post(s)
Originally Posted by: grantcoll Go to Quoted Post
Sorry to make the point again, but I think this is important. My concern is not about someone guessing your password number, it is about someone else in the whole world accidentally typing yours. To say this can't happen, is like saying you have never received a wrong number phone call. I think it would be fair to say we have all received a wrong number call at some time in our life.

i cant say i know too much about the math behind it but based on a quick search it looks like a 10 digit number means 10 billion combinations..

ive got no idea how many people use vmix call but even if there were 50k a day that is a lot less than 10 billion and its not just about the amount of callers its the amount using the service at the exact same time and how many actually input a wrong number. when you factor all those things its going to be a very very low percentage..

on the flip side some numbers might be unavailable for a period and you also have to consider periods of years not just per day.. there are quite a few variables.. adding usernames would add extra security but the potential for a problem is possibly lower than some may think...
Advance Concepts, Inc.  
#25 Posted : Sunday, May 16, 2021 1:11:47 AM(UTC)
Advance Concepts, Inc.

United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Emphatically disagree that this is not a high priority feature. Our typical workflow is a virtual conference environment, with many sessions throughout the day in close succession, most with a full load of 8 vMix callers (and often overflow on Zoom). We use the same bank of calls for each session, and try to schedule at least 45 minutes in between sessions to allow the first bank to disconnect and the second bank to connect. Unfortunately, sometimes the client ignores these requirements and schedules sessions with less than 15 minutes in-between, or a participant gets confused about time zones and logs in early, resulting in participants occasionally getting bumped off live, which is extraordinarily stressful and frustrating to recover from.

Generating new calls on-the-fly won't work, because call links/codes need to be sent to participants days in advance.

Copying the show preset with a unique set of calls for each session is also not desirable, because if I have to make anywhere between 12-30 copies (depending on the total number of sessions over however many days) of the show preset and then I have to make any changes or additions to the preset, I now have to replicate that change into 12-30 copies of the preset, which is just logistically prohibitive.

Perhaps a solution would be a kind of call router service, where each participant/session can have unique call links, call in whenever they like and see some kind of a "please wait" preset hold slide, and 8 at a time can be rotated in to the vMix instance.
thanks 1 user thanked Advance Concepts, Inc. for this useful post.
Chrispy on 6/15/2022(UTC)
Aecast  
#26 Posted : Sunday, May 16, 2021 7:34:34 AM(UTC)
Aecast

United Kingdom

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 7 post(s)
This conversation has been interesting, as the problem will always be providing call links prior as people cannot be relied upon to call into a meeting at the requested time.
So what's the solution - well the solution is to have people connect to a call waiting list then assign them to free VMIXCall channels when it is their time to connect them.
When you connect them, their browser then opens into a Green Room holding section where you can talk/prep them, check their sound picture etc before switching them into the live event stream.

So Introducing the Worlds First VMIXCall Control Manager which does the above. its part of a online Service called RProducer (Remote Producer enabling control of VMIX over the Internet and LAN with no need to install software direct onto the VMIX machine and includes Remote Decks, Presenter Clickers...and much more)

RProducer VMIXCall Manager

RProducer is in the finishing touches, however if anyone would like to volunteer to test the VMIXCall Control please reach out and contact me here or via LinkedIn - https://www.linkedin.com/in/cookian/
thanks 1 user thanked Aecast for this useful post.
jpetrie on 6/27/2021(UTC)
faulder  
#27 Posted : Tuesday, May 18, 2021 2:01:38 AM(UTC)
faulder

United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: Aecast Go to Quoted Post
This conversation has been interesting, as the problem will always be providing call links prior as people cannot be relied upon to call into a meeting at the requested time.
So what's the solution - well the solution is to have people connect to a call waiting list then assign them to free VMIXCall channels when it is their time to connect them.
When you connect them, their browser then opens into a Green Room holding section where you can talk/prep them, check their sound picture etc before switching them into the live event stream.

So Introducing the Worlds First VMIXCall Control Manager which does the above. its part of a online Service called RProducer (Remote Producer enabling control of VMIX over the Internet and LAN with no need to install software direct onto the VMIX machine and includes Remote Decks, Presenter Clickers...and much more)

RProducer is in the finishing touches, however if anyone would like to volunteer to test the VMIXCall Control please reach out and contact me here or via LinkedIn - https://www.linkedin.com/in/cookian/

We were discussing building something just like this today then I opened the forum and found this. Looks interesting. Presumably users have a holding website then they get redirected to vmixcall when accepted?
craigreilly  
#28 Posted : Wednesday, May 19, 2021 4:45:43 AM(UTC)
craigreilly

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Definitely interested in checking this out. We are running into issues with vMix caller often.

Aecast  
#29 Posted : Wednesday, May 19, 2021 1:05:22 PM(UTC)
Aecast

United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: faulder Go to Quoted Post
We were discussing building something just like this today then I opened the forum and found this. Looks interesting. Presumably users have a holding website then they get redirected to vmixcall when accepted?

Hi Fauder,
yes the callers connect via a branded interface set-up from RProducer, Event Screens tool where you can setup various input fields and define a VMIXCall manager template or standard form VMIX template.

Once Person joins uisng VMIXCall Manager template they are held in a waitng room, where you can select them into the GreenRoom and connect the caller to one of your VMIXCall channels. This will open the call window for them. Then you speak to them prior before going live. Audio is set-up as per own system as people do this in many ways. Option from the Green room to also Push Name and Description to any GT Title.

VMIXCall Manager onboarding

VMIXCall Manager q waiting

VMICCall Manager screen formating

VMIXCall manager Green room form Caller details
Hypohamish  
#30 Posted : Wednesday, May 19, 2021 7:57:17 PM(UTC)
Hypohamish

United Kingdom

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

This just adds another point of failure which isn't worth the risk - it can already be hard enough in a corporate environment getting vMix call to work (i.e. getting them away from IE, use Chrome/FF, making sure WebRTC is enabled, allowing permissions, closing other apps). There's just too much already going on to now use a third party service that could easily have its own issues.
Aecast  
#31 Posted : Wednesday, May 19, 2021 10:57:02 PM(UTC)
Aecast

United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: Hypohamish Go to Quoted Post
This just adds another point of failure which isn't worth the risk - it can already be hard enough in a corporate environment getting vMix call to work (i.e. getting them away from IE, use Chrome/FF, making sure WebRTC is enabled, allowing permissions, closing other apps). There's just too much already going on to now use a third party service that could easily have its own issues.

Hi Hypohamish

I would say it’s about using the Right Tool for the Job.

I have corporate customers who as you say have multiple browsers and various set-ups for their employees where you have to explain that just clicking on a link which normally opens in Edge, they now need to use Chrome etc, make sure the browser can access the video and more. (VMIXCall does work in Edge-latest version but not officially said here, see forum there is another ongoing discussion on this)

Then you have to copy the VMIX links and send to people, make sure they dont use the link which someone else is using. Had this many time happend escpecially with the C-Level guys

RProducer came out of this issue, I wanted a easy way to generate the VMIXCall links and send to the corporate attendees and remove the VMIX branding.
So links generated were direct bypassing the VMIXCall login screen. Of course when a person exits they still see the VMIXCall screen.
A simple tool in RProducer is the VMIXCall link generator to format links ready for copy/paste into emails. It’s the Tool for this Job

The VMIXCall Manager - is it the tool for the job above, depends on your use case, if you are running a chat show broadcast and have many people who want to ask a question via video then it will do the job. Other ways of doing this yes, maybe interface using MS Teams NDI the active speaker. Though you need to manage the their sound muting etc.

Using VMIXCall Control manager, in this format your users visit a landing webpage with instruction to guide them, they then join the call queue, thus saving having to setup users prior connecting them especially when the max is 8 input call channels and you could have 30 people to connect.
Bring people in and out of the show and when they exit redirect them to a off-boarding page on your website. This also closes their connection without them getting hold of the call codes.

Before you ask, yes if the person is clever and has intentions to disrupt, they could try to get the call codes, however just to make it a little bit more difficult the call code is hidden in the URL.

As mentioned there are many tools out there to do different jobs.
I Always Say try them out and not to judge the book by its cover.
The more tools you have the better your Toolset is :)

Use the Right Tool for the Job

Send me your details to ian.cook@aecast.com and happy to provide you a test link in the coming days.
Advance Concepts, Inc.  
#32 Posted : Thursday, May 20, 2021 6:18:28 AM(UTC)
Advance Concepts, Inc.

United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
We would also be interested in testing this...if this does everything you say it can, it might be the answer to our prayers!
Aecast  
#33 Posted : Thursday, May 27, 2021 12:01:09 PM(UTC)
Aecast

United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: Advance Concepts, Inc. Go to Quoted Post
We would also be interested in testing this...if this does everything you say it can, it might be the answer to our prayers!

Hi Advance Conceprts
have created a new post for the VMIXCall Control Manager, see video demo

https://forums.vmix.com/...VMIXCall-Control-Manager

Hypohamish  
#34 Posted : Thursday, November 11, 2021 10:40:15 PM(UTC)
Hypohamish

United Kingdom

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Reviving an old post, but can we *please* just get this as a feature in vMix?

Give it as a manual toggle setting, same as all the other call settings, when right clicking on a call, say whether we'd allow it to be disconnected if someone else connects or not.

That way there's the best of both worlds - people who need the security of locking slots can, and those who hate the idea of it can leave theirs open.

I want this feature as in a production we can re-use the same code a couple of times for different speakers, and despite our best efforts, someone will still try and 'test' it when we're live, and knock a current speaker out. The ability to stop this would literally be lifechanging.
AndrewRed  
#35 Posted : Sunday, February 20, 2022 1:29:14 AM(UTC)
AndrewRed

Yes I agree this is desperately needed to be able to lock other callers from interrupting or having a solution to have live callers call on, on the fly easily. Would pay more for this feature or to help with the resources needed at Vmix to add it. This is a definite hold up on our productions. We are searching for a better solution. Because we always get the same response… there is a framework that makes it impossible? I do t know what that means. It needs to be possible. We are happy to pay for it.